OT-New R.E.M. album released today

It's called "Around the Sun."  It's a really solid record and I'm proud to have an assistant engineer's credit on it.  Hope some of you TBD-ers will go check it out!

57164[/snapback]

Congrats! I'll be happy to pick up a copy. How would you describe the theme of the album? Is it rocker R.E.M., like What's the frequency Kenneth? Or is it more mello like some of their earlier stuff?

It's called "Around the Sun."  It's a really solid record and I'm proud to have an assistant engineer's credit on it.  Hope some of you TBD-ers will go check it out!

57164[/snapback]

Congrats!!

I absolutly love REM and will be picking this up friday. (which is saying something - I would normally just DL it)

My favorite song is "Bad Day" ...

I would recommend REMs greatest hits album to anyone who even has a slight interest in them - its great.

Been a huge fan of them back to the days of Murmer (which I consider one of the best albums ever).

I've met Mike Mills a couple times at a celebrity golf tournament here - seems like a very nice down-to-earth guy. Were you actually around them much? Any info/stories you want to share? Was Bill Berry involved in any of the sessions?

Been a huge fan of them back to the days of Murmer (which I consider one of the best albums ever).

I've met Mike Mills a couple times at a celebrity golf tournament here - seems like a very nice down-to-earth guy.  Were you actually around them much?  Any info/stories you want to share?  Was Bill Berry involved in any of the sessions?

57228[/snapback]

Unfortunately no Bill! He is missed. I still think the last record he was on (New Adventures in Hi Fi) is one of their best... That one, Murmur and Automatic remain my faves.

The sessions were amazing as I've pretty much loved this band since a very young age.

I primarily dealt with Michael and Pat McCarthy (engineer/producer -- he worked on all the R.E.M. records from Monster on and also did The Joshua Tree and Patti Smith's new record).

The work was very inspired, they are amazing people -- in general and in a working relationship -- and it was a dream session. They even gave me up-front tix to Madison Square Garden in November. Also my wife and I basically came together over an R.E.M. song, and upon explaining her jealousy to Michael, he obliged with a signed lyric sheet, which is unheard of. Most of the people who stick around in this business are either ruthless money managers or just fantastic people that make others really want to work with them. I can say for a fact that these guys fall into the latter category.

As for the sound of the record it's somewhere between Up and Automatic -- quite a lot of experimental sound with more 'classic' R.E.M. songwriting -- not so many out-and-out rockers but a few that get you up. There are two amazing ballads on there: "Ascent of Man" and "I Wanted to Be Wrong" -- the latter really reminds me of "Find the River" and is gorgeous. I think there are probably two songs that could have been trimmed to make for a really coherent album but that is just my opinion. And as usual the lyrics are great.

In any case, thanks for the support! I appreciate it! :devil:

Unfortunately no Bill!  He is missed.  I still think the last record he was on (New Adventures in Hi Fi) is one of their best...  That one, Murmur and Automatic remain my faves.

The sessions were amazing as I've pretty much loved this band since a very young age. 

I primarily dealt with Michael and Pat McCarthy (engineer/producer -- he worked on all the R.E.M. records from Monster on and also did The Joshua Tree and Patti Smith's new record).

The work was very inspired, they are amazing people -- in general and in a working relationship -- and it was a dream session.  They even gave me up-front tix to Madison Square Garden in November.  Also my wife and I basically came together over an R.E.M. song, and upon explaining her jealousy to Michael, he obliged with a signed lyric sheet, which is unheard of.  Most of the people who stick around in this business are either ruthless money managers or just fantastic people that make others really want to work with them.  I can say for a fact that these guys fall into the latter category.

As for the sound of the record it's somewhere between Up and Automatic -- quite a lot of experimental sound with more 'classic' R.E.M. songwriting -- not so many out-and-out rockers but a few that get you up.  There are two amazing ballads on there: "Ascent of Man" and "I Wanted to Be Wrong" -- the latter really reminds me of "Find the River" and is gorgeous.  I think there are probably two songs that could have been trimmed to make for a really coherent album but that is just my opinion.  And as usual the lyrics are great.

In any case, thanks for the support!  I appreciate it!  :devil:

57420[/snapback]

That's so frigging cool..

This is not meant with any disrespect, but is Michael as "weird" in real life as he seems?

I saw a payperview concert, and he was just awesome, almost larger than life, ya know?

I saw them back in October. Michael Stipe is amazing on-stage. When he dances, it almost appears as if he's floating.

And like stevestojan, I'll be buying a copy too, which says a lot. Usually, i st, errr, download it.

That's so frigging cool..

This is not meant with any disrespect, but is Michael as "weird" in real life as he seems?

I saw a payperview concert, and he was just awesome, almost larger than life, ya know?

57423[/snapback]

He was a total gentleman to me which probably stemmed a bit from the fact that I made it clear up-front that I have immense respect for him. I think the 'weirdness' is a bit of an act -- after all he was known to be VERY very shy early on in the band's career, around the time they got huge he kind of turned the other way. He seems to go to the other extreme and be a bit of an extrovert in public when in fact he's really quiet and mild-mannered in person.

I was going to ask if you ever saw Michael Stipe smile? I don't follow them, but in every video and interview I've seen of him, he looks like he's been pisssed that he's going bald. :lol:

didn't know they even had one on the horizon, love thier music, assistant engineer huh? you know scott hull, he is a master engineer(?), I went to fredonia with him, he is now some big wig engineer in the music industry

57164[/snapback]

didn't know they even had one on the horizon, love thier music, assistant engineer huh?  you know scott hull, he is a master engineer(?), I went to fredonia with him, he is now some big wig engineer in the music industry

57780[/snapback]

Yeah! And I went to Fredonia, too! SRT / English double-major.

I saw Scott just about every day. He is amazing. Worked on Anodyne, Uncle Tupelo fans...

And Dave Fridmann is another Fredonia guy (though not a grad) -- I took classes from him and he produces the Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, among others. He's an effing brilliant man.

Representing WNY in the music industry!

I was going to ask if you ever saw Michael Stipe smile? I don't follow them, but in every video and interview I've seen of him, he looks like he's been pisssed that he's going bald. :lol:

57773[/snapback]

'going'? :lol:

I actually thought he was one of the ones who did it pretty gracefully by shaving it all off instead of holding on.

Maybe after that disastrous Shiny Happy People video he thought smiling wasn't working out so well for him :lol:

Yeah!  And I went to Fredonia, too!  SRT / English double-major.

I saw Scott just about every day.  He is amazing.  Worked on Anodyne, Uncle Tupelo fans...

And Dave Fridmann is another Fredonia guy (though not a grad) -- I took classes from him and he produces the Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, among others.  He's an effing brilliant man.

57837[/snapback]

woo hoo! Good to see Fredonia Alum kicking ass! (I graduated in '02)

when were you there? I was there 81-85, i lived on the same hall in mcas scott, then his roomate and i roomed together, scott was awfully stinky back in the day!

Yeah!  And I went to Fredonia, too!  SRT / English double-major.

I saw Scott just about every day.  He is amazing.  Worked on Anodyne, Uncle Tupelo fans...

And Dave Fridmann is another Fredonia guy (though not a grad) -- I took classes from him and he produces the Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, among others.  He's an effing brilliant man.

57837[/snapback]

when were you there?  I was there 81-85, i lived on the same hall  in mcas scott, then his roomate and i roomed together, scott was awfully stinky back in the day!

57850[/snapback]

Haha... You know, I heard that from some people but I can't vouch for it. We had a big elevator :lol:

I was born and raised in Fredonia, and graduated in '01.

Haha... You know, I heard that from some people but I can't vouch for it.  We had a big elevator  :lol:

I was born and raised in Fredonia, and graduated in '01.

57863[/snapback]

If you graduated in 2001, i must know you, or at least some of your friends/aquantances...

You ever hang out at 40 Center St for parties?

Do you know Chirs Ivory? (thought you might since he is also a Fredonia native)

Hmmm... what other questions..

If you graduated in 2001, i must know you, or at least some of your friends/aquantances...

You ever hang out at 40 Center St for parties?

Do you know Chirs Ivory? (thought you might since he is also a Fredonia native)

Hmmm... what other questions..

57883[/snapback]

Never really on Center St. though I did live on Forest Pl. last year of school. I was a bit of a dork with my nose too much in books and running WCVF. Chris and I didn't know each other really well though we were in the same little league, etc. I also DJ'd at BJs.

you guys are killing me with your center st and forest place references! damn i love and miss my days at fredonia! :lol:

Never really on Center St. though I did live on Forest Pl. last year of school.  I was a bit of a dork with my nose too much in books and running WCVF.  Chris and I didn't know each other really well though we were in the same little league, etc.  I also DJ'd at BJs.

57886[/snapback]

i lived at the end of cleveland, across from a little grocery store, another house on the opposite corner from us were a bunch of freinds, then behind us up the hill was another house of friends, great area!

:lol:  I grew up on Cleveland Ave. and there were always 'big colllege kids' walking in the streets after parties.

57942[/snapback]

i lived at the end of cleveland, across from a little grocery store, another house on the opposite corner from us were a bunch of freinds, then behind us up the hill was another house of friends, great area!

57951[/snapback]

Nice. You were right near me, I was two houses down from that store (LeBarron's... Since torn down). Small world!

57951[/snapback]

I lived in Grissom freshman year. Then Schultz

Then I moved to a house of Central (not Center, Central) I lived in a house RIGHT behind the school. You could walk to the halls quicker that you could drive.

Then I moved to Green Street senior year. Right down the way from Heenans ...

good times.