Sabres mgmt blowing smoke up our asses

Golden Wheels

The Sabres tried to incorporate their original emblem, but they couldn't make it work.

"It was easier to start from scratch," said Frank Cravotta, Sabres director of creative services. "When your old logo is such an icon, it's hard to redo it."

Cravotta said the Sabres evaluated about 80 logo designs before settling on one. Then there were about 12 revisions before it was finalized.

Buffalo News link

Couldn't make it work?!?! That's odd. I saw a considerable number of designs on the internet by fans that adapted the old logo. A decent graphics design firm could have done the same -- or at least had that thing leaping over crossed swords.

They picked a legless Buffalo out of 80 designs?

Horse hockey!

My wife, a grade school teacher who knew nothing about the Sabres getting new uniforms and could frankly care less, said it best this morning when I showed her a pic. "It looks like a cartoon or something, like some sort of Pokemon guy. Is that seriously the new jersey?"

My wife, a grade school teacher who knew nothing about the Sabres getting new uniforms and could frankly care less, said it best this morning when I showed her a pic. "It looks like a cartoon or something, like some sort of Pokemon guy. Is that seriously the new jersey?"

775483[/snapback]

Your wife and I think alike. When I saw them in person for the first time yesterday my first thought was literally "Pokemon!" and I hadn't heard anyone say that previously.

Buffalo News link

Couldn't make it work?!?! That's odd. I saw a considerable number of designs on the internet by fans that adapted the old logo. A decent graphics design firm could have done the same -- or at least had that thing leaping over crossed swords.

They picked a legless Buffalo out of 80 designs?

Horse hockey!

775476[/snapback]

They must not be telling the whole story. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Slaybk proposals were somehow copywrited or protected and the team would have had to pay royalties to use variations of their design. The "all rights reserved" tag at the bottom of Slaybk's webpage says a lot, IMO.

Now, we have to live with this abomination...This thing looks like some BOCES design student put it together.

The only complaints were that the blue of the classic jerseys doesn't match the new pants, and the dark sleeves on the white jerseys might cause a giveaway or two.

"The whole arm is blue," defenseman Teppo Numminen said. "Then you get mixed up. You see a guy off to the side and see a dark arm, you don't really know if it's your teammate."

Gee, do you think a comment like this might have been useful during the design process? What a total cluster!@#$ this whole thing has been.

They must not be telling the whole story.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Slaybk proposals were somehow copywrited or protected and the team would have had to pay royalties to use variations of their design.  The "all rights reserved" tag at the bottom of Slaybk's webpage says a lot, IMO.

Now, we have to live with this abomination...This thing looks like some BOCES design student put it together.

775557[/snapback]

Compounding the error, it appears that the yellow is not the same between the sleeves and the slug...

They must not be telling the whole story.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Slaybk proposals were somehow copywrited or protected and the team would have had to pay royalties to use variations of their design.  The "all rights reserved" tag at the bottom of Slaybk's webpage says a lot, IMO.

775557[/snapback]

Except the Slabyk proposals were all take offs on the original logo that the Sabres do own the copyright for.

If they chose a design that was "similar" to the Celsius designs, it wouldn't be like the Ravens getting dinged for stealing a totally new design. I can think of a lot of ways the Sabres could have updated the original while still making it difficult, if not impossible, for Slabyk to successfully sue the Sabres.

From the little bit that I've seen where Slabyk has posted, he doesn't come across as a jerk. He'd have to be a world class jerk to sue the Sabres for using "his" design of their logo unless the thing were pretty much identical to one of his designs. While I admit that a fear of lawsuit MAY have contributed to the Sabres chosing the direction they went, I don't see it as being the primary or even A primary driving force.

I see this as being more of a case of some idiot at Reebok coming up with a hare brained idea and some combination of backroom politicing / lobbying eventually convinced Tom and Larry that this was a good thing. Quinn has been favoring radical ideas (blue ice, rounded goals, game by game pricing structure, etc.) since he retook the reins, so it probably wasn't too hard of a sell to get him to agree to (or even suggest) the Sabres logo go in a radical new direction. Which is really a shame because the successful relaunch of the b&g was pretty much a slam dunk, open net, no brainer and the Sabres and Reebok managed to screw it up.

Gee, do you think a comment like this might have been useful during the design process?  What a total cluster!@#$ this whole thing has been.

775564[/snapback]

The pants not matching the rest of the throwback was a known problem as soon as they decided to run with it for damage control. When teams change unis they aren't allowed a 3rd sweater for 2 or 3 seasons. They are allowed "vintage" unis and that is what the Sabres are running with. If the colors of the sweaters were navy they wouldn't be "vintage", they'd be "3rds". I'm not sure why they aren't using vintage pants (royal blue with the white and yellow stripes up the middle of the side) instead of the new ones.

As for the confusion with taking a quick look and passing to the wrong team because of the blue arms, I don't think that will be a huge issue because the other team will be dealing with the same (but reverse) problem. A Loaf might see the arm of Drury in the ACC and send the puck to him because it looks in that split second like Drury's a loaf. Actually, if anything, the Sabres would be dumping the puck out of the zone more than passing it up as it appears there are no open Sabres, and the home team would be expected to put bad passes on the tape of a Sabre as it appears there are no Sabres.

Except the Slabyk proposals were all take offs on the original logo that the Sabres do own the copyright for.

775576[/snapback]

It wouldn't surprise me that somewhere in the Knox/Rigas transition the copywrite protection on the original was fugged up or not strenthened (i.e., the trademark description on file with the commerce dept. not detailed enough in writing to guard against minor variations). The NHL is a garage league and it would be just like them to drop the ball on something like this...

The pants not matching the rest of the throwback was a known problem as soon as they decided to run with it for damage control. 

775583[/snapback]

I think he's refering to just the jersey colors...gold on the arms and piss yellow on the logo don't match.

:huh:

Just think - the pictures of the Sabres finally skating around HSBC with the cup will have them in these jerseys :unsure:

:doh:

775560[/snapback]

Actually they won't. Larry Quinn said the team already has the right to wear the throwbacks for any deciding home game in the playoffs.

That's great news, and also another admission that they fugged up the new uniforms.

I think he's refering to just the jersey colors...gold on the arms and piss yellow on the logo don't match.

775603[/snapback]

You're referring back to Madcap's post.

My comment was in response to the newspaper article quote that BillsFanNC quoted.

The only complaints were that the blue of the classic jerseys doesn't match the new pants, and the dark sleeves on the white jerseys might cause a giveaway or two.

I don't see any comment about yellow and gold in that one.

You're referring back to Madcap's post.

My comment was in response to the newspaper article quote that BillsFanNC quoted.

I don't see any comment about yellow and gold in that one.

775635[/snapback]

I thought Madcap's response was related to the "abomination" photo linked to my post. Go back and check it out. The gold on the arms and the yellow on the logo don't match.

Oh well, who cares....we beat MIA!! :unsure:

I thought Madcap's response was related to the "abomination" photo linked to my post.  Go back and check it out.  The gold on the arms and the yellow on the logo don't match.

Oh well, who cares....we beat MIA!!  :lol:

776298[/snapback]

Madcap's post WAS in response to the yellow not matching the gold. 0:)

How many friggin' times do I have to tell you that my post was not in response to Madcap's for you to realize that I wasn't replying to Madcap's post? :angry:

I will say it again. R----e----a----l s----l----o----w this time.

I was referring to

THE NEWSPAPER ARTICLE QUOTED by

BillsFanNC,

which I requoted in MY

RESPONSE to

YOU.

I was NOT

replying to the post by Madcap. :lol:

Got it now? :unsure:

PS - Yes, they beat the Meathead led fish. That is $%!#! cool. :lol:

Anyone know how sales of Slug-wear are going? 

776355[/snapback]

They aren't.

The Sabres don't have much to sell. They had about 100 uniforms to sell yesterday and I think most of those were for little kids. They had a lot of pennants, flags, pucks, t-shirts with the slug on it and some people were buying that yesterday for sure.

It doesn't really matter. They're going to sell this crap this year because it's new. The real test of the slug will be after this year. If a fan already has a slug t-shirt, is he/she going to want to buy another one? For example, I'm an LA Angels fan, and I've bought way more stuff since they switched to the red uniforms (everyone has). Winning the World Series in 2002 was part of that but the apparel really looks good now so I'm willing to buy an extra t-shirt or hat that I really don't need.

I'm not going to buy banana slug merchandise and it's not some message I'm trying to send the team. It just looks like crap and I have no desire to own it.

Reading comprehension not one of your strenghths today, eh Dave?  Have another drink on me....

776461[/snapback]

You DO realize, don't you, that you just quoted Madcap's post, not BillsFanNC's post.

We have both agreed that Madcap posted about the yellow and gold not matching.

Yet somehow you continue to tell me that Madcap posted about the yellow and gold not matching and had nothing to do with the new pants not matching the vintage blue. I realize that, obviously you do as well. Unfortunately, the yellow not matching the gold was NOT the comment I was responding to. Actually, it wasn't even in the POST I was responding to.

Look back at my original post. It was in response to BillsFanNC, NOT to Madcap.

Response to BillsFanNC NOT Madcap

My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you very much. You might want to tone down whatever it is you are imbibing while celebrating the victory, though. :unsure:

I'm an LA Angels fan, and I've bought way more stuff since they switched to the red uniforms (everyone has). 

776386[/snapback]

But I wish they would bring back the CA cap with the halo on top...

Oh, the Sabres...WTF is with the number up near the front shoulder?

Ray Charles could have designed a better look...

Which is really a shame because the successful relaunch of the b&g was pretty much a slam dunk, open net, no brainer and the Sabres and Reebok managed to screw it up.

775576[/snapback]

I think more of the blame goes reebok's way. I'm sure they were the driving force in this change. Just look at the practice jerseys they introduced last year. They have the same exact stripe pattern on the sides as these new jerseys do.

I think more of the blame goes reebok's way.  I'm sure they were the driving force in this change.  Just look at the practice jerseys they introduced last year.  They have the same exact stripe pattern on the sides as these new jerseys do.

777792[/snapback]

I agree that Reebok (or some other group not directly affiliated with the Sabres) is most likely the driving force behind Hurricane Snot Smear. Just like a tropical storm this thing was big, overblown, and all wet and there was nothing the little guy sitting in his shack could do to stop it from hitting.

But, the Sabres can't be absolved of all responsibility. In the end, THEY own the copyright on the snot smear. Since they are the owner, they hold the final responsibility to say "NO, this logo is a piece of %!%!%!$^@#".

I thought it was very telling that the Sabres creative director said it was EASIER to start from scratch rather than pay homage to the original logo. Since Reebok was in the design meetings and outsiders (read: fans) weren't involved, and Reebok definitely appears to love this snot smear, the meetings would run a LOT smoother (read: easier) if the Sabres just said "OK, you win, you've shown us 80 designs, none of which are any good, we've said "NO" 79 times. We're tired and frustrated with fighting you; we realize for whatever reason we have to work with this design team and you will never come up with anything better, so we'll take the snot smear." (My gut feel is that the NHL was a driving force behind Reebok being chosen to design the unis, so I don't know that the Sabres had as much say in whether to dump the design team as they should have had. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.)

It is still very possible that Larry was the driving force behind this, but until I have some proof of it, I will blame Reebok 1st, the Sabres marketing group / design team 2nd, the NHL 3rd, and Sabres management (not involved on the design team, if any) last.

But I wish they would bring back the CA cap with the halo on top...

777789[/snapback]

That one or the LA one with the halo on top. They really need to do a throwback series with the hats with the silver halos stitched into the top.

(BTW, the Angels are the source of my username around these parts. When I signed up I wasn't feeling too creative so I borrowed my name from an Angels board.)

In any event, I still can't imagine even one uniform that would look better with the sluggalo than with the original logo.

How much do you want to bet that if the NYR, Boston, Detroit were having their uni's redesigned they'd be kick a$$.  It looks like Reebok put the C team on this one.

777958[/snapback]

I've been saying the same thing over on The Sabres Report board - can you imagine if the Montreal, Boston, the Red Wings rolled out a logo as bad as this? Fans in those cities might actually storm the team's front office and string up the president and marketing people. I don't understand why we have to have this expansion team crap forced on us...

I will blame Reebok 1st, the Sabres marketing group / design team 2nd, the NHL 3rd, and Sabres management (not involved on the design team, if any) last.

777840[/snapback]

They fired most of their marketing/sales group

Here is the key portion of the Buffalo News article yesterday:

"It was easier to start from scratch," said Frank Cravotta, Sabres director of creative services. "When your old logo is such an icon, it's hard to redo it."

"Say, that old logo is iconic. Let's replace it with some stupid POS."

Frank Cravotta is the Sabres director of creative services. How did he get that job? This retard (somehow) recognizes that the old logo was obviously iconic and the first thing he decides to do - because it was easier - is scrap the thing and create a piece of sh-- that looks nothing like it.

Frank Cravotta says:

1. Iconic logos are bad.

2. Do things the easy way.

I'd like to punch this !@#$ in the face. Thanks a ton, Frank. 0:):w00t:

How much do you want to bet that if the NYR, Boston, Detroit were having their uni's redesigned they'd be kick a$$.  It looks like Reebok put the C team on this one.

777958[/snapback]

I remember reading some stuff out of Detroit before the lockout ended saying that they were considering adding black to the Red Wings jerseys when the new reebok jersey is released. In reebok's minds, nothing in this league is untouchable.

Frank Cravotta is the Sabres director of creative services. How did he get that job? This retard (somehow) recognizes that the old logo was obviously iconic and the first thing he decides to do - because it was easier - is scrap the thing and create a piece of sh-- that looks nothing like it.

Frank Cravotta says:

1. Iconic logos are bad.

2. Do things the easy way.

I'd like to punch this !@#$ in the face. Thanks a ton, Frank. 

Here ya go....

http://www.stratacafe.com/member.asp?ID=3967

Frank Cravotta

160 Altair Dr

Getzville, NY 14068-1431 (map)

Tel.: (716) 688-8647