"Pro Football Talk" preseason rankings

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respect is earned and the Bills organization has done nothing to earn any of late.

First off, they hired a retread head coach.  The media HATES retreads, and for good reason, they usually produce the same crap from stop to stop and keep getting jobs because they are nice guys who are just glad to have the job.  We hope Jauron is different, but he is what he HAS  been until proven otherwise and that is a coach with 5+ years of HC experience, a dreadful record and an unspectacular history as a coordinator.

The choice of GM was a personal buddy of the owner who has never been a GM and is about 20 years past his expiration date for the job.  His free agent haul brought in nobody of any merit whatsoever and in terms of performance, they appeared to lose considerably more than they gained.  Their draft seemed to make little sense relative to their crying needs up front and the general belief that championship teams are built from the inside out.  On paper, they appear to be worse off as an organization than last year, when they ranked in the bottom 5 of the league both offensively AND defensively.  I mean, in a league of parity, the Bills organization looks as bad as it gets.  We hope they are wrong, but the media is justified in calling this team a mess.

717469[/snapback]

Actually retread coaches are usually pretty good, having learned from there previous mistakes the first go round. I can think of one offhand, how about Bill Belichick? He seems to have done pretty well with his second team after sucking big time with the Browns. :rolleyes:

Are you thick?  The organization was not going for any promising coordinators or guys (Sherman) with good track records who wanted more control than Ralph and Marv were prepared to grant.  The promising CO route was a complete failure for the last five years.  The organization needs stability more than anything.  The two current coordinaters will have a chance to show their stuff.  Marv is here to set a direction and stick to it.  Guess that's too hard to see.

The previous GM was a fraud and his HCs didn't know their asses from first base or the kicking tee, which may be more appropriate.

717577[/snapback]

Show me how Sherman is a better coach than Jauron. :rolleyes:

just throwing this out there -- the responses to badol's substantive critiques are, so far, very weak. before people B word about florio, they should deal with the legit critiques from their own backyard by the likes of badol.

i would simply say that badol has not a clue as to how the bills' qbs will play this year, and that he has an irrational overestimation of the skills of the manifestly uninterested 33 year-old dt for the bills last year, sam adams (who was demonstrably terrible). other than that, i don't think anyone so far has a legit beef with the guy, who for years has been one of them most entertaining posters here.

I agree with your opinion on the coach. Jury is out on that one. I feel for him in a way because he's coming into a pretty bad situation

As far as teh gm hire is concerned Im still hoping its some sort of bad joke. hahahhah... ok Ralph now who really is our gm???

The hiring of a 80+ gm cant be spun in a postive fashion. Just because he was a decent coach does not mean he's a gm. Not even in his "younger" days as a Bills hc.

717522[/snapback]

Hiring a hot shot vaunted GM hardly panned ou t well though did it? I'll take a shot on the octogenarian after the last disater.

I am pretty comfortable with ML as GM. I was not at all impressed with DJ as a coach, but I'd like to see what he is bringing to the table. His "cover 2" idea is not my idea of the way to go, and I'm hoping we don't see teams running into the middle of our defensive line, collapsing the secondary and then burning us long every game (the traditional way to beat cover two). On the other hand they drafted with that in mind, and I for one am going to wait and see (and hope) that they can make it work. Like BadOl, I think Art Shell would have been the better choice, but I'm more optimistic with DJ than I was with either of our last two coaches, both of whom had considerable talent and couldn't do much with it. Let's see what ML and DJ can do starting pretty much from ground zero.

I am pretty comfortable with ML as GM.  I was not at all impressed with DJ as a coach, but I'd like to see what he is bringing to the table.  His "cover 2" idea is not my idea of the way to go, and I'm hoping we don't see teams running into the middle of our defensive line, collapsing the secondary and then burning us long every game (the traditional way to beat cover two). On the other hand they drafted with that in mind, and I for one am going to wait and see (and hope) that they can make it work.  Like BadOl, I think Art Shell would have been the better choice, but I'm more optimistic with DJ than I was with either of our last two coaches, both of whom had considerable talent and couldn't do much with it. Let's see what ML and DJ can do starting pretty much from ground zero.

717656[/snapback]

Well a poster would be hard pressed to support an argument that The Bills DL will excell at collapsing the pocket this year. I think the philosophy is to knife through it and cause disruption in the backfield - not stonewall at the LOS with a sumo rush, i.e., plug the gaps via speed, not with blubberous meat that ends up watching the end of every play ten yards downfield from the vantage point of lying on their collective asses which they've been wrestled to.

blah, blah, blah...PFT sucks, PFW blows, ESPN is a joke, yahoo.com doesn't know anything about football, etc...

Who F***ing cares!! The minute any of these media outlets do a 180 and say something good about the Bills, a TSW ballwashing of epic proportions will take place proclaiming the author to be the only guy in the world who knows anything about football. :o

I sometimes wonder if I'm delusional after seeing rankings like this. I honestly think we could make the playoffs this year--if Takeo returns somewhat to form (85%) and Losman plays average to above average (which I think are two not unlikely occurrences).

Then I read our rankings, from this source and others, and think maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Am I delusional? :o

It's funny how easy it is for people to say "This is what makes a good GM" or "This is what makes a good coach" and "This is what makes a good team". One by one, everyone lines up to opine why a retread coach sucks, or a first-year coach sucks, or why an 80-year-old shouldn't be a GM or why TD was a crappy GM and how genius this coach is and how tremendous that coach is, and what I don't understand is if it's that simple and obvious to everyone here, how come so many teams suck?

Someone needs to tell the owners that running a successful football team is so easy, most of us could do it while sitting in a chair watching the Hotdog On A Stick chicks make fresh lemonade.

just throwing this out there -- the responses to badol's substantive critiques are, so far, very weak. before people B word about florio, they should deal with the legit critiques from their own backyard by the likes of badol.

i would simply say that badol  has not a clue as to how the bills' qbs will play this year, and that he has an irrational overestimation of the skills of the manifestly uninterested 33 year-old dt for the bills last year, sam adams (who was demonstrably terrible). other than that, i don't think anyone so far has a legit beef with the guy, who for years has been one of them most entertaining posters here.

717585[/snapback]

whats with the fellating of badol? some of the things he said ring true, but frankly most of his posts in his thread have been plain and simple whining and complaining. hes from the big crowd of "we didnt draft 10 o-linemen in the draft, so DRAFTBAD!".

Sure this team has a lot fo questions this year, from coaching on down to talent. Sure we'll probably only win 7 games this season. But i see too many posters here just whining and complaining we suck, because thats much easier than trying to find some good things about the bills to root for. we have a young team with hungry players who WANT to play. not overpaid vets form the TD era. Sure this team will have its struggles, and will probably make me pull ym hair out on numerous occasions. but they will be fun to watch, and they wont suck as bad as 80% of the posters here think.

As for the draft, no one can say that we drafted players we didnt need. We needed an SS, a DT, and a FS for next year when vincet is probably gone. Anyone who thinks the draft sucked because we didnt draft a bunch if rookie linemen has got their head londged so far in their ass that they are viewing the draft from their colon.

Why do people bother reading or posting links to that site? It is HORRIBLE with a capital HORRIBLE. It's really a site of retarded children assembling words from newspaper cutouts. Whatever forms is what they print.

whats with the fellating of badol? some of the things he said ring true, but frankly most of his posts in his thread have been plain and simple whining and complaining. hes from the big crowd of "we didnt draft 10 o-linemen in the draft, so DRAFTBAD!".

Sure this team has a lot fo questions this year, from coaching on down to talent. Sure we'll probably only win 7 games this season. But i see too many posters here just whining and complaining we suck, because thats much easier than trying to find some good things about the bills to root for. we have a young team with hungry players who WANT to play. not overpaid vets form the TD era. Sure this team will have its struggles, and will probably make me pull ym hair out on numerous occasions. but they will be fun to watch, and they wont suck as bad as 80% of the posters here think.

As for the draft, no one can say that we drafted players we didnt need. We needed an SS, a DT, and a FS for next year when vincet is probably gone. Anyone who thinks the draft sucked because we didnt draft a bunch if rookie linemen has got their head londged so far in their ass that they are viewing the draft from their colon.

717751[/snapback]

i agree that he's a complainer (he's been that way for years), and i disagree with his assessment of the bills' draft. still, he knows his stuff and his bills history. he's usually a good read.

I posted this before but I love these numbers:

Dick Jauron

Year TM | W L T |

+----------+--------------

| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 |

| 2000 chi | 5 11 0 |

| 2001 chi | 13 3 0 |

| 2002 chi | 4 12 0 |

| 2003 chi | 7 9 0 |

Totals 35 45

Bill Belichick

Year TM | W L T |

+----------+--------------

| 1991 cle | 6 10 0 |

| 1992 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1993 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1994 cle | 11 5 0 |

| 1995 cle | 5 11 0 |

Totals 36 44

Ridiculous!

Mariucci

!Year TM | W L T | W L |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| 1997 sfo | 13 3 0 | 1 1 |

| 1998 sfo | 12 4 0 | 1 1 |

| 1999 sfo | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |

| 2000 sfo | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

| 2001 sfo | 12 4 0 | 0 1 |

| 2002 sfo | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |

| 2003 det | 5 11 0 | 0 0 |

| 2004 det | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

| 2005 det | 4 7 0 | 0 0 |

There's a thing called talent. We don't have any.

Defense: Beyond the top five or six units in the league, defensive teams in fantasy football are generally a crapshoot. The Bills' defense fall squarely into this category -- it's "crap" and someone should "shoot" them. C-.

LMAO

We're not saying that the Bills will finish as the worst team in the league. There's too much that can happen, and due to free agency the difference between the best and worst team is much narrower than it used to be. But this organization has more question marks than the Riddler's longjohns, and for now it deserves to be regarded as the worst in the league.

Hey, at least they don't have to worry about failing to fulfill anyone's expectations.

Ridiculous! 

Mariucci

!Year  TM |  W  L  T  |  W  L  |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| 1997 sfo |  13  3  0  |  1  1  |

| 1998 sfo |  12  4  0  |  1  1  |

| 1999 sfo |  4  12  0  |  0  0  |

| 2000 sfo |  6  10  0  |  0  0  |

| 2001 sfo |  12  4  0  |  0  1  |

| 2002 sfo |  10  6  0  |  1  1  |

| 2003 det |  5  11  0  |  0  0  |

| 2004 det |  6  10  0  |  0  0  |

| 2005 det |  4  7  0  |  0  0  |

There's a thing called talent.  We don't have any.

718236[/snapback]

Um, would rather have a trio of Young, Rice and TO or Miller/ Matthews, Thomas, or Booker? :lol: My main point wasn't to say Jauron is going to be a good as BB. However, it was simply to state that you never know. If an extreme set of circumstances didn't get Brady into the lineup, BB would be considered "a retrend" and not a genius. For people to dismiss a coach who went 13-3 with average talent at best (except Urlacher and maybe Mike Brown) before he's coached one game is idiotic. :doh:

As for the reactionary point of saying we have no talent, let me throw out some names. Spikes, Clements, McGee, and Moorman. Those are former pro bowlers. Schobel, Fletcher, McGahee, and Price have played at Pro bowl levels. Losman, Whitner, Evans, and McCargo are first rounders. You don't get drafted in the first round if you don't have talent. But keep listening to the national media telling you the Bills have no talent and are the league's worst organization. :lol:

717751[/snapback]

LOL! For the record, Badol is a college fanatic who actually watches film. He attends every Bills game and studies the team/NFL like few others.

Your comments about the draft are partially true. We did need a safety and a DL. I don't think anybody has ever disputed this. The question that comes into play (imro) is did we need them at the cost of not taking at least 1 extra 2nd round pick as well as giving away a #2? Valid question or so I think.

Wrt the OL, it is almost always better to "grow your own" and select them often and early in the draft. The Bills refuse to do this, thus the losing record.

How many trades do you see for top LTs? Jennings was a good example of what it costs to sign a UFA LT. Not only that, Hutch set a new plateau as far as the cost of getting a top UFA OG.

Again, your post was funny, and raised valid points, but you failed to tell us how YOU would address the OL situation. Any ideas? :doh::lol:

.My main point wasn't to say Jauron is going to be a good as BB.  However, it was simply to state that you never know.  If an extreme set of circumstances didn't get Brady into the lineup, BB would be considered "a retrend" and not a genius.  For people to dismiss a coach who went 13-3 with average talent at best (except Urlacher and maybe Mike Brown) before he's coached one game is idiotic.  :doh:

As for the reactionary point of saying we have no talent, let me throw out some names.  Spikes, Clements, McGee, and Moorman.  Those are former pro bowlers.  Schobel, Fletcher, McGahee, and Price have played at Pro bowl levels.  Losman, Whitner, Evans, and McCargo are first rounders.  You don't get drafted in the first round if you don't have talent.  But keep listening to the national media telling you the Bills have no talent and are the league's worst organization.  :lol:

718251[/snapback]

I understand. My point is that we had "those probowlers" last year and what did it net us.

You're right, you never know. But using that to suggest that there's even a fair chance that it may happen isn't right. I'm sure the exact same situation has arisen many times in the NFL before this and while I have no idea what the odds are, I'm sure they're well below even nominal that they will.

It just seems like many people are reaching to non-stable things for their hopes on this team.

Am I the only Bills fan out there, and I say that to illustrate the point because I know there are some, many perhaps, but that just wishes that Ralph would pull his head out of his ass and just make some good decisions instead of always giving us fans a set of circumstances whereby we have to "hope for lightning to strike" just to be average and have a shot at backing into the playoffs?

If fans keep supporting this, it's all we're ever going to get.

Um, would rather have a trio of Young, Rice and TO or Miller/ Matthews, Thomas, or Booker?  :doh: 

Nall, McGahee, and Evans with no other WRs worth much isn't exactly Young, Rice, and TO.

So you're saying that talent made Mariucci then?