F*ck Danny's Restaurant

yall

I had a cervical disk fusion operation a few weeks ago which requires that I wear a hard cervical collar for a few weeks. About 2 weeks after I had the surgery, I was mobile enough to go out to dinner with my parents. We went to Danny's and asked for a table, and told the wait was about 20 minutes, so we elected to wait at the bar.

While I was having my first beer, I noticed a couple of waitresses chuckling as one was putting on a display that was clearly mocking the way I had to drink. She was pretending to hold a drink to her face and tilt her whole uppoer body back, whie not bending her neck, which was exactly what I had been doing. I was a little put off, but figured I could have misinterpreted what she was doing, and just hoped I didn't get her as a waitress in the fear I'd be tempted to leave her a bad tip undeservingly.

As I got my second drink, I spotted the same waitress again, this time with a new crowd at the waitress station, making the same motion and carrying on, but this time she went so far as to point directly at me (I suppose it could have been the Quick Draw screen behind me, but I have never seen a video keno machine with a bad neck and a drink). In otherwords, what she was doing was unmistakeable.

I got pretty pissed this time. I abruptly told my family that we were leaving (their backs had been to the waitress station) and on my way out I walked up to the waitress and said "What, do you think I'm blind too?" and judging from her sheepesh reaction she knew exactly to what I was refering.

On my way out, I decided that I'd go back in and explain to the manager or owner why his establishment was losing my business. He brushed me off saying none of his professional staff would do such a thing and I was clearly some kind of twit.

This made me begin to wonder if it had been an older person or someone with a real disabilty, would this lady still have acted the same? Was I overreacting or are this waitress and her cohorts just a bunch of insensitive jackasses? Have any of you ever made fun of a fat person whie you were at work? Would you do it in plain sight of your target?

That's messed up man, that waitress needs to be spat on. I can't believe the manager brushed you off...wow.

663112[/snapback]

But, he was seriously offended. People might now make fun of fat people. FAT PEOPLE! By God.

yall?

Get a grip. Why do you think restaraunt managers blow people off?

But, he was seriously offended. People might now make fun of fat people. FAT PEOPLE! By God.

yall?

Get a grip. Why do you think restaraunt managers blow people off?

663115[/snapback]

I was using fat people as an example of sorts, not trying to imply that it was ok. I just figured that everyone at some point in time could relate to that because most people have probably had a laugh at an overweight persons expense. Most people would not do it right in front of that person though, as it is pretty rude. Having worked in a number of restaurants, I've heard plent of jokes about the fat lady who orders everything on the menu and then gets a diet coke. Not a nice thing to say, but I also never heard the jokes made in the dining room or within earshot of said customer.

I'm sure the manager blew me off for a few reasons. First, admitting that your staff did something wrong might require him to take some sort of action (comp'd meal or chastising the waitress). Secondly it would mean that he had to take the word of an irate customer over his staff, which is not always a good thing.

I would never spit on the waitress or do anything that would bring me down to the same level, so I did the only thing I could.

I would like to give credit where crdit is due though. After leaving Danny's we went to Adam's Rib. When we got there they said we would have to wait for a while for a table, which was no big deal. But the owner saw me in a brace, came up and said he was in one for a while, and understood what a pain (in the neck? :huh: ) they are to deal with. He did everything he could to get me seated immediately. The food and service were impecable, and the owner came by the table twice to make sure I was comfortable. Now, I wasn't asking for any special treatment, but this guy went out of his way to ensure my comfort and a good dining experience, so I figured I should give Adam's Rib props for a job well done.

I would  have told the waitress about your fused disc and thats why you drink the way you do. And thats it's not polite to make fun of people.

663118[/snapback]

I wouldn't explain myself to a waitress, from "I'm a disabled" point of view.

Nothing at all against wait staff, I've always found it much better to make friends of bartenders and waitresses/waiters. I am usually a good tipper too. Has never not come back to me.

If it really bothered me, I'd have called her over and challenged her to a drink the same way, while saying "hey, my neck is screwed up, can you do better? Show me a better way to drink without a straw."

Make fun of her legs.

Or, you can give people the permission to laugh at you while you sit there. You can turn that stuff around and not have any proplem.

I'm sure the manager blew me off for a few reasons. First, admitting that your staff did something wrong might require him to take some sort of action (comp'd meal or chastising the waitress). Secondly it would mean that he had to take the word of an irate customer over his staff, which is not always a good thing.

663127[/snapback]

Rule # 1 - Customer is always right.

Rule # 2 - See Rule # 1

Face it. Most(not all) people in customer service related positions just don't give a sh-- anymore.

I had a cervical disk fusion operation a few weeks ago which requires that I wear a hard cervical collar for a few weeks. About 2 weeks after I had the surgery, I was mobile enough to go out to dinner with my parents. We went to Danny's and asked for a table, and told the wait was about 20 minutes, so we elected to wait at the bar.

While I was having my first beer, I noticed a couple of waitresses chuckling as one was putting on a display that was clearly mocking the way I had to drink. She was pretending to hold a drink to her face and tilt her whole uppoer body back, whie not bending her neck, which was exactly what I had been doing. I was a little put off, but figured I could have misinterpreted what she was doing, and just hoped I didn't get her as a waitress in the fear I'd be tempted to leave her a bad tip undeservingly.

As I got my second drink, I spotted the same waitress again, this time with a new crowd at the waitress station, making the same motion and carrying on, but this time she went so far as to point directly at me (I suppose it could have been the Quick Draw screen behind me, but I have never seen a video keno machine with a bad neck and a drink). In otherwords, what she was doing was unmistakeable.

I got pretty pissed this time. I abruptly told my family that we were leaving (their backs had been to the waitress station) and on my way out I walked up to the waitress and said "What, do you think I'm blind too?" and judging from her sheepesh reaction she knew exactly to what I was refering.

On my way out, I decided that I'd go back in and explain to the manager or owner why his establishment was losing my business. He brushed me off saying none of his professional staff would do such a thing and I was clearly some kind of twit.

This made me begin to wonder if it had been an older person or someone with a real disabilty, would this lady still have acted the same? Was I overreacting or are this waitress and her cohorts just a bunch of insensitive jackasses? Have any of you ever made fun of a fat person whie you were at work? Would you do it in plain sight of your target?

663064[/snapback]

I stopped going there a long time ago because of the subpar food.

Is this a chain resturaunt, or a single owner resturaunt?

If a chain, try writing the regional office. If a single owner, try writting the owner himself (herself). The manager likely just sees it as another hassle he has to deal with, whereas the owner actually cares about your business. ELEVATE.

You know, I went to Danny's the last two time I went home, as my "last meal" before going to the airport...the chicken wing soup was pretty damn good! I know, this has nothing to do with anything, but is Danny's owned by Danny Gare? That is what my sister told me (frankly she is kind of clueless when it comes to sports related stuff), but I found it odd that there was no Sabres decor!

As far as the waitress goes, yeah that sucks, but frankly, I have kind of gotten used to crappy, rude service most places I go. I know it is lame, and no excuse, I just refuse to get pissed off in resteraunts, or grocery stores anymore. If it is bad, I just don't go back. I live in Austin, a college town, and have had some of the worst service you can imagine. When I go back to Buffalo, where the wait staff normally tends to be a little older, I am normally pleased.

Danny's is a local joint with a couple of locations. It was pretty good years ago (on Gennessee), but the last few times I've tried either location, it kinda sucked.

What the waitress did was rude and thoughtless. But, i would have laughed along with her if it had been me...it would actually make her feel worse if you did it right.

Of course you could have always told her, "In a few weeks I'll have this collar off...but, you'll still be ugly."

Of course you could have always told her, "In a few weeks I'll have this collar off...but, you'll still be ugly."

663199[/snapback]

Always use the "Fat" comeback on women,,even if they are a 100 lbs, it still disturbs them deeply.. :angry::angry:

Always use the "Fat" comeback on women,,even if they are a 100 lbs, it still disturbs them deeply.. :angry:  :angry:

663205[/snapback]

Like I mentioned with the spitting thing (which I know was a joke) I wasn't looking to demean the waitress. I didn't lose my temper (visibly anyway). I just felt the managment should know that their wait staff was doing such things.

I'm not sure if the yahoo article on treatment of wait staff was for my benefit, but this was hardly akin to having sorbet spilled on a dress. One is an accident, the other is unprofessional conduct, aimed at a paying customer. In a sense the article has no bearing on this particular situation.

Like I mentioned with the spitting thing (which I know was a joke) I wasn't looking to demean the waitress. I didn't lose my temper (visibly anyway). I just felt the managment should know that their wait staff was doing such things.

I'm not sure if the yahoo article on treatment of wait staff was for my benefit, but this was hardly akin to having sorbet spilled on a dress. One is an accident, the other is unprofessional conduct, aimed at a paying customer. In a sense the article has no bearing on this particular situation.

663213[/snapback]

A little advice from a guy learning to live my life in a wheelchair...

Don't take yourself so seriously. Life is tough and if you can't laugh at yourself a little.. you're going to be miserable.

In a "Danny's" situation, let them know that you see them.. crack a small joke, share a laugh. If they continue, take a few shots at them. Something like "you're never going to make assistant manager, if you keep picking on the customers"...

Wow, that's incredibly rude. Sometimes I wonder who the hell is raising some of these people. Just take comfort in the fact that she is so insecure she needs to belittle others to elevate her own self esteem. This is coming from a waitress at Danny's after all - who the hell is she? Oh, and if you believe in karma, hopefully she gets hers someday.

A lot of people who live in that area are low-class alcoholics.

:angry:

663221[/snapback]

Which is why I never go there. I prefer to hang out high-class alcoholics. If I'm hanging out with drunks, I prefer they're drunks who can occasionally pick up the tab.

Which is why I never go there. I prefer to hang out high-class alcoholics. If I'm hanging out with drunks, I prefer they're drunks who can occasionally pick up the tab.

663227[/snapback]

And who can pay any lawsuits you may need to file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think you could have taken the time to talk to the waitresses in stead of getting up and making a wise remark and walking out . you are no better than the waitresses. you should have been a better person than the jackass you walked out as .

A little advice from a guy learning to live my life in a wheelchair...

Don't take yourself so seriously. Life is tough and if you can't laugh at yourself a little.. you're going to be miserable.

In a "Danny's" situation, let them know that you see them.. crack a small joke, share a laugh. If they continue, take a few shots at them. Something like "you're never going to make assistant manager, if you keep picking on the customers"...

663216[/snapback]

good advice