Super Bowl

30dive

This has bugged me for quite some time. Why is the game played on Sunday? Why not Saturday night? It has gotten to the point where even if it starts at 6-6:30 we (people with young children) need to leave parties before it's over to get them in bed for school the next day. Some of us actually go to work the next day too! Hell the game could be played as late as 9pm on Saturday night and it would not matter to me and I'm thinking many more. I might understand the whole idea of needing days to practice if the game was played the weekend after the Conference Championship games, but with two weeks in between Saturday just would ssem to make so much more sense.

And don't even get me started with the "championship" games in the NCAA.

The super bowls on sunday cause football games are on SUnday (except for some saturday games late in the season and playoffs), the monday nighter, and the thanksgiving thursday and season opener thursday. Sunday is Typically football day. And on the west coast the game is over by around 9pm.

590991[/snapback]

I really can't understand what point you were trying to make because you make a statement and then give a bunch of details as to why that point is full of stojan.

Also to consider, the host city typically gets revenues through the Monday morning departures. If the fans and media came in Friday and left Sunday, the host city is losing 20% of the projected revenues that a host city has come to anticipate.

Yes I understand a good deal of media is there frome the prior week, but a good number of journalists from non-sports publications do not show up until later in the week.

Still, I really do wish it was either on Saturdays, or shift the schedule so that it falls on the Sunday prior to MArtin Luther King's birthday.

oh thats a bunch of crap! It's about money and the perception that Sunday will bring in a larger audience. Dr. Fong is nuts on! Its just like the NCAA that does not need a football playoff system because they think they make more money with the bowls. In both cases the NFL and the NCAA are wrong. Super Saturday and football playoffs would bring in larger audiences

Also to consider, the host city typically gets revenues through the Monday morning departures. If the fans and media came in Friday and left Sunday, the host city is losing 20% of the projected revenues that a host city has come to anticipate.

590995[/snapback]

Bingo! Excellent point, never thought of it that way

I have been saying the same thing for years. I even send an email to the NFL asking why the paradigm of Sunday Super Bowls could not be broken and I never got a response (predictably). I have yet to stay at an entire Super Bowl party because we always have to leave to put the kids in bed. Those advertisers should recognize that we might not be watching those pricey commercials.

I really don't understand why anyone would think that bars, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, and the like would not sell balls out on Saturday. With that, I think I just read the best argument to the NFL for a Saturday Super Bowl. "I'm not watching it while I'm driving home, and putting my kids to bed, therefore I'm not watching the cute commercials".

Wow!! you know more than the NFL and the NCAA's. Don't know what you do for a living, but obviously, you're wasting your time whatever it is. You should be running the NFL since you're so smart.

I'm not that smart, but one thing I do feel confident about is, if the NFL could as you think make more money by palying the game on a Saturday night, the game would be played on Saturday. For that matter if they could make more money if the game was played at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Wednesday, they'd move it in a second.

So I think the game is played when it's played because it does bring in the biggest audience. Sunday night has always been known for the highest rated TV night. There are many more people who work Saturday afternoons and evenings than Sundays. Remember a Saturday 7:00pm start is 4:00 on the west coast. Not to mention above all the majority of games are played on Sundays which IS likely a large reason that football is the most popular sport to begin with.

Would I prefer a 5:00pm start on Sunday, sure. But it starts when it does to give it the best ratings. And it is over by 10:00 on a Sunday which considering you likely slept in Sunday morning to begin with(at least as opposed to a weekday) 10:00 is not too bad

oh thats a bunch of crap!  It's about money and the perception that Sunday will bring in a larger audience.  Dr. Fong is nuts on!  Its just like the NCAA that does not need a football playoff system because they think they make more money with the bowls.  In both cases the NFL and the NCAA are wrong.  Super Saturday and football playoffs would bring in larger audiences

590996[/snapback]

The Super Bowl is all about corporate sponsorship. It stopped being primarily an event for the fans to attend many many moons ago. Big money folks want to fly into town on Thursday evening or Friday morning, be schmoozed on Friday and Saturday nights at numerous "invite only" parties and events and then watch the game on Sunday. That's part of the reason why the game will never be held on Saturday.

No, I say move it to the Sunday before President's Day, I have that day off paid. I have to work on MLK's birthday, and after all Guff, it is all about me.

0:):D;);)

Yes I understand a good deal of media is there frome the prior week, but a good number of journalists from non-sports publications do not show up until later in the week.

Still, I really do wish it was either on Saturdays, or shift the schedule so that it falls on the Sunday prior to MArtin Luther King's birthday.

590995[/snapback]

No, I say move it to the Sunday before President's Day, I have that day off paid. I have to work on MLK's birthday, and after all Guff, it is all about me.   

0:):D  ;)  ;)

591085[/snapback]

MLK day/Presidents weekend, who cares? Just give us that Monday off and everyone would be happy, The host city would have their full share of revenues, the corporate sponsers would have their 3 day shmoozefest, and we, the real fans who watch the commercials, won't be driving home at halftime, missing the expensive commercials.

MLK day/Presidents weekend, who cares? Just give us that Monday off and everyone would be happy, The host city would have their full share of revenues, the corporate sponsers would have their 3 day shmoozefest, and we, the real fans who watch the commercials, won't be driving home at halftime, missing the expensive commercials.

591089[/snapback]

I really do not mind the current SB schedule, and like you I am EST.

When the kids were younger we hosted the party, or partied at a neighbor's to make it easier. Even now, the kids are grown, and we are having a few friends over and staying home. 0:)

oh thats a bunch of crap!  It's about money and the perception that Sunday will bring in a larger audience.  ...

590996[/snapback]

The business model of the NFL (and other pro sports) has evolved since the beginning. Sundays were available because colleges played on Saturday (Friday nights were for the high schools). First, they wanted to sell you a seat. Then they wanted to sell you a beer, a hotdog and a program. Next thing you need a place to park your car.

Advertising revenue from billboards was a nice addition, but with the advent of radio then televsion, broadcasting rights became the prime mover. You could reach way more people with these new fangled gadgets. The broadcasters have made quite a few demands over the years, so that's why you have a 6:30 kickoff and multitudes of commercial breaks. I would vote for moving the game to Saturday, but right now it would seem that Sunday makes more economic sense for the NFL and the networks (I don't have any hard numbers, and quite frankly, neither do you.)

But there's hope. The entire model of television is based on advertising. I wrote in another thread about the advertising revolution that is coming with targeted ads. Right now, advertisers blast out the message to everyone and hope the are reaching potential customers. When the system changes to where it is efficient to target potential customers (10 years?), the walls will come tumbling down. I see a pay-per-view model in the future, and we'll still have to watch ads but probably only ones for products we'd be interested in (e.g. In Mormon households the Bud Light ads will be replaced by some guy hawking the "Left Behind" series or "Got Milk?"). The whole idea will be fueled by good market research. But if that research says that more of us will watch on Sunday rather than Saturday, then we'll be stuck with what we got.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Wow!! you know more than the NFL and the NCAA's.  Don't know what you do for a living, but obviously, you're wasting your time whatever it is.  You should be running the NFL since you're so smart.

591082[/snapback]

WOW! Thanks, Im glad you agree with my kids! 0:)

It is to fill the host city coffers...They want you to come and spend the

Sat/Sunday there...They don't want you exiting from there on Sunday...

Also, by keeping the game on sunday evening, they probably are forcing you

to stay monday too...

It is like how Marathons are hosted...

If you are running a Marathon, you have to go on Saturday in person to

collect your Bib etc...And the race is run on sunday....and on sunday you

cannot claim your bib...This forces you to be there on sat and sunday...

The Super Bowl is all about corporate sponsorship.  It stopped being primarily an event for the fans to attend many many moons ago.  Big money folks want to fly into town on Thursday evening or Friday morning, be schmoozed on Friday and Saturday nights at numerous "invite only" parties and events and then watch the game on Sunday.  That's part of the reason why the game will never be held on Saturday.

591084[/snapback]

I was surprised that they are expecting people to start leaving at halftime to get out of Detroit.....

"The surge of outbound flights and travelers actually begins by about halftime, Mr. Conway noted. Many of the support staff who will come in for pregame parties and other corporate events - but won't themselves attend the game - will pack up and go home as those events end."

From The Toledo Blade

I really don't understand why anyone would think that bars, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, and the like would not sell balls out on Saturday.  With that, I think I just read the best argument to the NFL for a Saturday Super Bowl.  "I'm not watching it while I'm driving home, and putting my kids to bed, therefore I'm not watching the cute commercials".

591081[/snapback]

With respect to bars, Saturday nights are already selling balls out. They will make more by having it on Sunday.

While I understand that many people will have to leave early to drive the kids home, you are probably the exception, not the rule. Most people that I know who have young children are watching it at home.

Believe me if advertisers thought they were missing out on significant viewership by having it on Sundays instead of Saturdays it would be on Saturday.

Why church on Sunday?!

Why meatloaf on Sunday?!

Why Ground Hog Day on Sunday?!

Its you forward-thinking logic-pukers that are going to erode any scrap of Puritanical Fascist tradition that made this country great!

Dont you think there's a reason we celebrate the 4th of July on Sunday every year?!

Sheesh. Hippie.

If the NFL is all about money, why are they pulling a number of games this season off the general broadcast networks and putting them on NFL network? They stand to lose hundreds of millions over the short term.

591346[/snapback]

True, but they stand to make billions more over the long term. They can sell their own advertising for the NFL network.

On the short term they will almost certainly increase the number of households that they are available to. They are currently available in about 40 million households, and I believe their are approximately 100 to 120 million households in the US. Viewers will demand access to the NFL network from their cable/satellite providers who are currently not offering it. This will also raise their revenues that they collect from their current advertisers.

True, but they stand to make billions more over the long term. They can sell their own advertising for the NFL network.

On the short term they will almost certainly increase the number of households that they are available to. They are currently available in about 40 million households, and I believe their are approximately 100 to 120 million households in the US. Viewers will demand access to the NFL network from their cable/satellite providers who are currently not offering it. This will also raise their revenues that they collect from their current advertisers.

591385[/snapback]

Well, let's hope it becomes a standard channel 0:)

590995[/snapback]

This is a pretty good guess. I would suspect that Sunday TV revenue gains also play a big part in the process.

If the NFL is all about money, why are they pulling a number of games this season off the general broadcast networks and putting them on NFL network? They stand to lose hundreds of millions over the short term.

591346[/snapback]

There is a core that would watch the most miserable match-up at 3 AM, but there are many more casual viewers who think, "Uh, here's another nighttime or odd-day game...those things are so stuffed with commercials anyway. "

I have a feeling that they are over-squeezing their Golden Goose...

I wouldn't pay 2 cents to watch an NFL game on tv. I've never bought a trinket or jersey - if they want me to advertise their product, they should offer me a promotional contract. :lol:

If they want to restrict viewing to paying customers, well too bad for their advertisers. They won't get the chance to con me into buying their junk. :doh:

This has bugged me for quite some time.  Why is the game played on Sunday?  Why not Saturday?

590982[/snapback]

As long as we're giving What Ifs? I think that the winner of the previous years SB should host the game. I know - no dome, it may snow, the players uniforms get dirty, etc. But what a reward. If it were ever held here, we'd probably have to put the media up at the "Y" due to lack of area hotel rooms.

As long as we're giving What Ifs? I think that the winner of the previous years SB should host the game. I know - no dome, it may snow, the players uniforms get dirty, etc. But what a reward. If it were ever held here, we'd probably have to put the media up at the "Y" due to lack of area hotel rooms.

591839[/snapback]

What a sneeky back door way for Buffalo to be able to host the SB! I like it, except that it gives a team who is on a roll, ie. the Patriots an advantage if they make it the following year. It's bad enough they get the officating on their side already.

Perhaps the loser of the SB should be able to host it. That may have affected the outcome of several of our SB losses. :doh:

With respect to bars, Saturday nights are already selling balls out. They will make more by having it on Sunday.

While I understand that many people will have to leave early to drive the kids home, you are probably the exception, not the rule. Most people that I know who have young children are watching it at home.

Believe me if advertisers thought they were missing out on significant viewership by having it on Sundays instead of Saturdays it would be on Saturday.

591340[/snapback]

This, when you look deeper is the real reason. Remember, the NFL does not want large gatherings on Super Sunday the advertising dollars are determined by households with TVs watching. A Neilsen TV with 20 people watching it still counts as only one TV. If they keep fans in small groups or even better home the numbers go up and so does the cost of a commercial next year.

As for the NFL network getting games, this gives the league a double win. First it increases households in the next 8 months as cable outlets will be forced to add the channel and secondly the NFL gets the direct revenue from covering the games and it doesn't affect the current packages.

To quote my favorite commercial " Brilliant"

The corporate types that have money and get to actually go to the Super Bowl do not have kids or just leave them with a nanny. They prefer the Super Bowl to be on a Sunday so they can take a 4 or 5 day weekend and enjoy themselves. The NFL agrees and really could care less about those fans that have kids and watch the game on TV. Those fans can only afford to go to regular season games and therefore do not count (except to the advertisers).

I've come up with the perfect solution for my concern. I will Tivo the entire pregame, game and post game. Then I'll hold a Super Bowl Saturday party the next Saturday. The challenge of course will be to avoid any inormation about the result of the game for an entire week. Oh and I can fast forward though the commercials. Oh crap! I forgot thats what so many people watch the game for, the commercials. OK OK OK I can fast forward through the commercials during the last quarter, all the new/funny commercials will have been run.

So now please will you all do me a favor next week and not post anything about the game until the following Sunday. Thanks!

I wouldn't pay 2 cents to watch an NFL game on tv. I've never bought a trinket or jersey - if they want me to advertise their product, they should offer me a promotional contract. :P

If they want to restrict viewing to paying customers, well too bad for their advertisers. They won't get the chance to con me into buying their junk.  :)

591446[/snapback]

Do you have cable and watch any games on ESPN? :D