Did Mularkey have a point?

DCBongo

Regardless if you agree with MM staying or going, does anyone think he made a valid point? With Marv in Chicago, Ralph in Detroit and Modrak in Florida do we have a management team in place that can built a winning franchise? I am not an NFL expert, but don’t most teams General Managers and staff operate out of the team’s city?

he was trying to get sosa to play outside linebacker

566135[/snapback]

Sosa was a preview of Sam Adams - Ain't I got luck of the Irish, A Bills/Cubs/Hartford Whalers fan. If it weren't for UConn Basketball, I would be totally screwed.

Marv lives and works in Chicago, no signs so far that he is relocating back to Buffalo.

This "location" stuff is as stupid as it gets, IMO. I'd bet that half the players don't live in Buffalo year-round. The funniest of is the talk of Modrack (building a house in Jacksonville) and Marv (hasn't relocated yet).

Puhleeze! Re: Modrack...the guy spends most of his time scouting on the road. I really don't give a rats-ass where he lives. With that said, who cares where he builds a house? Many people have several houses in different parts of the country. TOTAL non-issue. With that said, RW says he wants TM to spend more timein the Bufftown. He better...he should...and if he doesn't he should be gone. But, let's not hold his real estate deals against him.

Next: Marv. The mofo got the job last week and this week his HC quit. He hasn't moved yet? What's taking him so long? I'm goig WAY our on a limb here and predict Marv spends more than a weekend or two in Buffalo. I'd even bet he makes a game or two during the season.

As for Ralph...who really cares where the owner lives? He lived in Detroit during the Super Bowl run...that's good enough for me.

As Bills fans we have plenty of things to worry about. This just ain't one of them.

This "location" stuff is as stupid as it gets, IMO.  I'd bet that half the players don't live in Buffalo year-round.  The funniest of is the talk of Modrack (building a house in Jacksonville) and Marv (hasn't relocated yet).

Puhleeze!  Re: Modrack...the guy spends most of his time scouting on the road.  I really don't give a rats-ass where he lives.  With that said, who cares where he builds a house?  Many people have several houses in different parts of the country.  TOTAL non-issue.  With that said, RW says he wants TM to spend more timein the Bufftown.  He better...he should...and if he doesn't he should be gone.  But, let's not hold his real estate deals against him.

Next:  Marv.  The mofo got the job last week and this week his HC quit.  He hasn't moved yet?  What's taking him so long?  I'm goig WAY our on a limb here and predict Marv spends more than a weekend or two in Buffalo.  I'd even bet he makes a game or two during the season.

As for Ralph...who really cares where the owner lives?  He lived in Detroit during the Super Bowl run...that's good enough for me.

As Bills fans we have plenty of things to worry about.  This just ain't one of them.

566156[/snapback]

I agree completely.

This "location" stuff is as stupid as it gets, IMO.  I'd bet that half the players don't live in Buffalo year-round.  The funniest of is the talk of Modrack (building a house in Jacksonville) and Marv (hasn't relocated yet).

Puhleeze!  Re: Modrack...the guy spends most of his time scouting on the road.  I really don't give a rats-ass where he lives.  With that said, who cares where he builds a house?  Many people have several houses in different parts of the country.  TOTAL non-issue.  With that said, RW says he wants TM to spend more timein the Bufftown.  He better...he should...and if he doesn't he should be gone.  But, let's not hold his real estate deals against him.

Next:  Marv.  The mofo got the job last week and this week his HC quit.  He hasn't moved yet?  What's taking him so long?  I'm goig WAY our on a limb here and predict Marv spends more than a weekend or two in Buffalo.  I'd even bet he makes a game or two during the season.

As for Ralph...who really cares where the owner lives?  He lived in Detroit during the Super Bowl run...that's good enough for me.

As Bills fans we have plenty of things to worry about.  This just ain't one of them.

566156[/snapback]

as someone who's gone through the quasi hell of a constellation of "home offices" that criss-cross the country, i have to disagree. four "offices" isn't telecommuting -- it's chaos that's got a lot of bogus statements about "the end of distance" tossed in to basically rationalize not leaving a particular locale.

566156[/snapback]

I think it is a bigger issue than you are making it out to be...

Think about it...you have an owner who is promising (but making it sound more like a threat) to be more involved in the day to day running of the team, yet he lives in Detroit.

You have an "assistant GM" who lives in Florida, but spends most of his time on the road (isn't that what scouts are supposed to do?), and then you have another old guy, with no GM experience in this era of pro football, who, as much as I love him, seems as desperate to regail the media in his wit and wisdom as he does to get back into the NFL, in some way...the fact that he appears to have a boner to return to the sidelines only clouds things further. If I was a young, 40 something year old coach, would I really want to work like this, when there are a crap load of better opportunities right now? I don't think so...

I remember working in a record store, in Austin TX. I was a buyer for a chain store. Everything I ordered had to justified to my regional, and corporate manager. Once, I tried to order just 60 copies of a cd by an immensely popular local musician. I received a phone call from my corporate manager in Florida. He wanted to remind me that our store was on a budget, and we likely didn't need 60 copies of anything, for the first week. I explained to the guy, that he was the biggest act in town at the moment, and that 60 was a conservative order. He acted like I was a dumb kid, who just doesn't understand business. He cut my order to 30 copies.

The next day, less than a week before the cd comes out, my regional manager (in Minnesota!) calls me, and tells me that our budget has been cut, so they are cutting some of my orders. On release day, I receive 5 copies. Needless to say, we sold out of the cd within the first half hour the store was open.

When I get my review, from my regional manager, a few months later, he brings up the fact that I "dropped the ball" on some of the big local releases, as a reason I am getting a piddling raise...after all, he said, "the reason you are a buyer in Austin, TX is because you are supposed to know what is going to sell in Austin"... :pirate:

It was just one of many instances things like that happened. Being very active in the local music scene, I was kind of embarassed to be working for these people, because they were clueless, and had no idea what they were tallking about. It started to reflect badly on me...so I quit! They folded!

I imagine Mike Mularkey felt something like that, theses past few weeks...he will end up a OC somewhere next season. If his new team does okay, his name will start to surface again as a coaching candidate. Talking heads will say, "Mularkey is considered a front runner for the Rams job. Although he only went 14-18 in his first stint as a HC, remember, it was in Buffalo...nobody wins there..." As bad as Mularkey and Donohoe might have been, believe me folks, it can get much worse...

I think it is a bigger issue than you are making it out to be...

Think about it...you have an owner who is promising (but making it sound more like a threat) to be more involved in the day to day running of the team, yet he lives in Detroit. 

You have an "assistant GM" who lives in Florida, but spends most of his time on the road (isn't that what scouts are supposed to do?), and then you have another old guy, with no GM experience in this era of pro football, who, as much as I love him, seems as desperate to regail the media in his wit and wisdom as he does to get back into the NFL, in some way...the fact that he appears to have a boner to return to the sidelines only clouds things further.  If I was a young, 40 something year old coach, would I really want to work like this, when there are a crap load of better opportunities right now?  I don't think so...

I remember working in a record store, in Austin TX. I was a buyer for a chain store. Everything I ordered had to justified to my regional, and corporate manager.  Once, I tried to order just 60 copies of a cd by an immensely popular local musician.  I received a phone call from my corporate manager in Florida.  He wanted to remind me that our store was on a budget, and we likely didn't need 60 copies of anything, for the first week.  I explained to the guy, that he was the biggest act in town at the moment, and that 60 was a conservative order.  He acted like I was a dumb kid, who just doesn't understand business.  He cut my order to 30 copies. 

The next day, less than a week before the cd comes out, my regional manager (in Minnesota!) calls me, and tells me that our budget has been cut, so they are cutting some of my orders.  On release day, I receive 5 copies.  Needless to say, we sold out of the cd within the first half hour the store was open. 

When I get my review, from my regional manager, a few months later, he brings up the fact that I "dropped the ball" on some of the big local releases, as a reason I am getting a piddling raise...after all, he said, "the reason you are a buyer in Austin, TX is because you are supposed to know what is going to sell in Austin"... :pirate: 

It was just one of many instances things like that happened. Being very active in the local music scene, I was kind of embarassed to be working for these people, because they were clueless, and had no idea what they were tallking about.  It started to reflect badly on me...so I quit!  They folded! 

I imagine Mike Mularkey felt something like that, theses past few weeks...he will end up a OC somewhere next season.  If his new team does okay, his name will start to surface again as a coaching candidate.  Talking heads will say, "Mularkey is considered a front runner for the Rams job. Although he only went 14-18 in his first stint as a HC, remember, it was in Buffalo...nobody wins there..."  As bad as Mularkey and Donohoe might have been, believe me folks, it can get much worse...

566205[/snapback]

To Dave M and buftex...this is not a "Home Office" situation. You can bet your bottom-ass-dollar these guys will be together in Buffalo (or where ever) making the decisions. During the season, Marv and the HC will be in Buffalo. We shouldn't care where else they live...as long as they are here to do their job here.

Again, it doens't matter where RW lives.

Regardless if you agree with MM staying or going, does anyone think he made a valid point?  With Marv in Chicago, Ralph in Detroit and Modrak in Florida do we have a management team in place that can built a winning franchise?  I am not an NFL expert, but don’t most teams General Managers and staff operate out of the team’s city?

566129[/snapback]

MM didn't make this point. But, if you feel he did, would you be so kind as to show me the quote?

To Dave M and buftex...this is not a "Home Office" situation.  You can bet your bottom-ass-dollar these guys will be together in Buffalo (or where ever) making the decisions.  During the season, Marv and the HC will be in Buffalo.  We shouldn't care where else they live...as long as they are here to do their job here.

566253[/snapback]

i see your point, and as for the detroit office, i advocate a relocation to timbuktu!!

To Dave M and buftex...this is not a "Home Office" situation.  You can bet your bottom-ass-dollar these guys will be together in Buffalo (or where ever) making the decisions.  During the season, Marv and the HC will be in Buffalo.  We shouldn't care where else they live...as long as they are here to do their job here.

566253[/snapback]

Sorry, I guess we will only agree to disagree. Where Ralph lives was irrelevnet, but now he is promising to be more involved than he has been. It was like he hired Marv to be his eyes and ears in Buffalo...

Why doesn't Ralph just move to Buffalo, at this point? It couldn't be a worse place to live, for a very wealthy man, than stinking Detroit, could it?

Marv will move to Buffalo, he is too old to travel. What he'll travel between games? Come on... Maybe for part of the offseason, he can live in Chi-town. I am OK with that.

566279[/snapback]

I read somewhere, I thought, that Marvs' permanent home was in North Carolina!

nope he just couldnt answer the tough questions being asked of him.....like marv showing him tape of a recent game..............mike why is willis on the sideline on 3rd and 2..."oh shucks marv i have no idea willis says he is tired right now" marv to mike go sit in the corner and wear this pointy hat u dumbass!...mike cries and quits on wednsday!

566156[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more.

You are trying to reason with the same crowd that knocked a certain ex-Bills' QB (which I refused to name :devil: ) for spending too much time in a certain western state (which I refuse to name :lol: ).

With today's technology I don't see it as a problem. Further, I don't think the situation with Marv is anything but a stop-gap (and a good one) for the next six to eight months. Marv is the acting head coach as of the day Mularkey left and might handle the draft with Modrak, but by training camp we will have a new head coach and by the beginning of the season I suspect we will have a new general manager. I would almost gaurantee that ML will step down after a job well done at the end of the next season.

IMHO ......... I think he has a point in as far as he felt abandoned at One Bills Drive, with Ralph, Marv, and Tom scattered all over the map. IMHO, being the "top dog in residence" having to pull the organization out of chaos just kind of freaked him out a bit.

BUT ....... if I were MM (and I'm not) ...... I would have looked at that as a sign that the "real" top dogs had confidence in my abilities to actually LEAD this organization, and as a signal from above to actually put MY thumbprint on the team.

I want a guy with enough confidence in himself and his abilities to actually RUN the offices at One Bills Drive.