Bills players backing Holcomb...

Buftex

Bills players beginning to back Holcomb

By JOHN WAWROW - AP Sports Writer

2005-12-28 19:16

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Awarded the starting job in February, Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman might have to compete with journeyman Kelly Holcomb to get it back next year.

Holcomb has more wins and better numbers than Losman this season. And don't think his teammates haven't noticed.

With one game left and Buffalo out of playoff contention, Bills players were making the case Wednesday that Holcomb deserves to battle for the No. 1 role next season.

``I think he deserves to get his fair shot at it,'' tight end Mark Campbell said.

``I think he's played enough to get a chance,'' added receiver Eric Moulds. ``Hopefully, they'll give him an opportunity after this year to compete for the starting job.''

Even Bills defenders are beginning to back Holcomb, a 10-year veteran in his first season with Buffalo.

``I mean, look at the statistics,'' linebacker London Fletcher said. ``He's proven that he can be a starting quarterback in the National Football League week in and week out and definitely a starter for us.''

Holcomb is expected to get the start Sunday when Buffalo (5-10) closes its season on the road against the New York Jets (3-12) in a game with nothing on the line.

Holcomb's emergence comes at the expense of Losman, the Bills' 2004 first-round draft pick who was awarded the starting job in place of Drew Bledsoe. The move led to the team granting Bledsoe's request to be released. He's now the starter in Dallas.

The Bills then signed Holcomb in March to serve as a backup.

Losman, however, has struggled, going 1-7 as a starter, and also engineered Buffalo's 14-3 win over Kansas City last month in a backup role after Holcomb was hurt.

The Bills, in comparison, are 3-3 in games Holcomb gets a majority of the playing time. That includes a 37-27 win at Cincinnati last weekend when Holcomb had 308 yards passing, the most by a Bills player in 45 games.

Both players have appeared in nine games this season, with Holcomb also having the edge in completion percentage (68.4 percent to Losman's 49.6) quarterback rating (92.9-64.9) and having thrown four interceptions compared to Losman's eight. Both have thrown for eight touchdowns.

Coach Mike Mularkey said he's leaning toward giving Holcomb his third consecutive start because Losman, who's listed as probable, is nursing a thigh injury. Mularkey added he hopes to get Losman in the game against the Jets at some point.

Losman, listed as probable with a shoulder injury last week, hasn't played since being hurt in Buffalo's 35-7 loss to New England on Dec. 11.

Mularkey declined to discuss whether Holcomb deserves a shot at the starting job next year, saying all positions on the team will be evaluated in the offseason.

Mularkey said it's unfair to compare the two players because Holcomb has a big edge in experience.

``It's exactly unfolded the way you thought it would,'' Mularkey said. ``J.P.'s a guy who's taking the steps to being that quarterback we know he can be.''

And the coach bristled when asked about Bills players supporting Holcomb.

``The only thing I worry about is that they're not taking anything away from their job ... and not worried about being in favor of anyone else or how anyone else is playing,'' Mularkey said.

Losman did not make himself available to reporters Wednesday.

Holcomb shrugged when asked if he deserved a shot to be the team's full-time starter.

``It's not my decision,'' Holcomb said. ``You're competitive. You want to play. But you also have to know the situation and I do.''

He added he's not looking beyond this weekend's game.

``I'm not even going to talk about training camp, man,'' Holcomb said. ``Hopefully, we'll go in this week and prepare and play well against these guys and finish the season strong.'

Unless the inmates are running the ayslum(which is a possibility considering the way this season has played out), who cares if the players back Holcomb. Holcomb has about as much upside as the QB who the Bills brought to training camp year after year and who DB was so upset about when they finally cut him. His name escapes me for good reason.

I think its obvious now that the Bills players have no faith in JP and never have. IMHO, this team did not quit on Mike Mularkey they quit on JP Losman. Time to bring in yet ANOTHER QB for next years camp.

Maybe it's JP's personality they don't mesh with? He looks like he has the tools to be a decent NFL QB to me someday.

The plot thickens. :blink:

Not suprised. Holcomb has played well and the players aren't stupid. They want to win and Holcomb gives them the best chance to do that. The players opinions should matter a lot. They're the ones who have to play with the guy. I'm not saying they should have final say, but their opinions should count. Anyway Losman is nowhere near as good as Holcomb. Holcomb has a much better sense of field awarness. More accurate, and better at getting every wr involved. and Holcomb should be allowed to compete for the job next year.

Not suprised.  Holcomb has played well and the players aren't stupid.  They want to win and Holcomb gives them the best chance to do that.  The players opinions should matter a lot.  They're the ones who have to play with the guy.  I'm not saying they should have final say, but their opinions should count.  Anyway Losman is nowhere near as good as Holcomb and Holcomb should be allowed to compete for the job next year.

544449[/snapback]

Who should start this Sunday?

Yes..

544447[/snapback]

jon kitna at the end of 2003-2004 looked reborn, some speculated marvin lewis would bench carson palmer another year and keep kitna. instead lewis put palmer out there, let him play with no pressure, and voila, you have a full fledged NFL starter

ok, so have a open competition next year in training camp. unless JP cant walk, theres no good reason not to start him against the Jets. Its a short sighted move by OBD just to try and cover their asses with one good win.

They talk about building for the future, but are more than happy to sacrifice the future for 1 meaningless win.

jon kitna at the end of 2003-2004 looked reborn, some speculated marvin lewis would bench carson palmer another year and keep kitna.  instead lewis put palmer out there, let him play with no pressure, and voila, you have a full fledged NFL starter

544452[/snapback]

That's because Marvin Lewis is a good coach. We got a moron running the show here. :blink:

That's because Marvin Lewis is a good coach.  We got a moron running the show here.  :blink:

544455[/snapback]

Thats because Carson Palmer has the prototypical tools of a franchise type qb. He struggled a little early then as the season progressed untila cheap shot by richard seymour against ne he was begining to light teams up. Palmer was nfl ready from the start. JP Losman will probably need 3-4 years like a drew brees or it looks like a Kyle Boller or many years and the right system like Jake Plummer. It won't happen overnight thats why I think we're better off building a line and a defense to compliment Holcomb then waiting another 4 seasons for it to begin to click for Losman

This pretty much reflects a post that Back In Da Day started a couple of days ago and he hit it right on the head. The problem here is that the organization (MM and TD) did not create an environment where Losman would be the unequivocable starter, unlike M. Lewis has done as some have pointed out.

Instead we have a situation where he's given the job without a fight before the season, gets pulled after game 4, gets it back (by way of injury), loses it again (by way of 'injury'???), and now it seems like he will be competing for the job next year.

MM/TD needed to commit one way or another, either stick with him come hell or highwater, or have him compete for it from the start untill he legitimately earns it. Instead, the situation has gotten to where the locker room is picking favorites, RJ/DF redux minus the nastiness.

I think its obvious now that the Bills players have no faith in JP and never have. IMHO, this team did not quit on Mike Mularkey they quit on JP Losman. Time to bring in yet ANOTHER QB for next years camp.

Maybe it's JP's personality they don't mesh with? He looks like he has the tools to be a decent NFL QB to me someday.

The plot thickens.  :blink:

544446[/snapback]

Well, if the Bills want to stick w/JP, then maybe some of those players need to go if they don't go along with the agenda

Bills players beginning to back Holcomb

``I think he deserves to get his fair shot at it,'' tight end Mark Campbell said.

``I think he's played enough to get a chance,'' added receiver Eric Moulds.

Even Bills defenders are beginning to back Holcomb, a 10-year veteran in his first season with Buffalo.

544423[/snapback]

Lets see, two guys who want their share of catches (translate incentives) and defensive players who know nada about offense, let alone QB play. As someone already pointed out, you simply cannot have the inmates running the asylum. Player are paid to play, not judge ability or performance. In today's highly specialized game they must concentrate on their own position, there is no time for judging others.

Heres some scenarios to think about.

Holcomb starts this sunday, plays a terrible game, we lose to the floundering jets. JP loses out on "development" time and Mike Mularkey looks like an arse.

Holcomb looks good 2 games in a row, looks like we may have a possible starter for next year.

JP comes out plays like sheet again, and looks like we may have a possible bust on our hands.

JP comes out looks good, provides hope for the franchises future.

Lets see, two guys who want their share of catches (translate incentives) and defensive players who know nada about offense, let alone QB play.  As someone already pointed out, you simply cannot have the inmates running the asylum.  Player are paid to play, not judge ability or performance.  In today's highly specialized game they must concentrate on their own position, there is no time for judging others.

544475[/snapback]

:blink::doh::lol:

Defensive players in the NFL know "nada" about offense, yet people on a message board do?!

:lol::lol::lol:

Holcomb has had 10 years in this league to become a starting QB. He's been scouted by other NFL teams and nobody else thought he was starting QB material. We have one meaningless game left this season. It's a great chance to give Losman some experience and we are going to waste it.

jon kitna at the end of 2003-2004 looked reborn, some speculated marvin lewis would bench carson palmer another year and keep kitna.  instead lewis put palmer out there, let him play with no pressure, and voila, you have a full fledged NFL starter

544452[/snapback]

to repeat: based upon college career, draft position, play this year, etc., losman has pretty definitively proven -- so far -- that he's no carson palmer. so please don't compare the two ...

This pretty much reflects a post that Back In Da Day started a couple of days ago and he hit it right on the head. The problem here is that the organization (MM and TD) did not create an environment where Losman would be the unequivocable starter, unlike M. Lewis has done as some have pointed out.

Instead we have a situation where he's given the job without a fight before the season, gets pulled after game 4, gets it back (by way of injury), loses it again (by way of 'injury'???), and now it seems like he will be competing for the job next year.

MM/TD needed to commit one way or another, either stick with him come hell or highwater, or have him compete for it from the start untill he legitimately earns it. Instead, the situation has gotten to where the locker room is picking favorites, RJ/DF redux minus the nastiness.

544466[/snapback]

again, just playing devil's advocate -- what if the guy ain't that good? and what if it's pretty apparent to everybody?

``I mean, look at the statistics,'' linebacker London Fletcher said. ``He's proven that he can be a starting quarterback in the National Football League week in and week out and definitely a starter for us.''

544423[/snapback]

Fletcher and the defense can STFU

part of the reason why the JP experiment hasn't worked this year is because they couldn't hold up their end of the bargain...defense controls the game while the offense scores just enough to win and the QB tries not to make mistakes remember? instead, they laid down and spread eagled themselves

More much ado about nothing... None of the players said anything remotely negative about Losman.. None of the players said Holcomb should be the starter..

You could have replaced Holcomb with any other player and got similar responses. Every player knows they could lose their job at any time. Players accept that because they know the other 52 guys are in the same boat.

Of course the players support Holcomb more than Losman. You want to go with the guy that gives you the best opportunity to WIN. That's the problem with too many coaches, they don't go with the players that give them the best chance of winning ball games each week. Instead, politics resides in management, coaching, etc... It happens in college and it happens in the NFL. Sad, but true. This isn't the first time the Bills have gone with the wrong guy. Anyone remember the Rob Johnson experiment? Flutie gave us the best chance to win; however, management went with the taller and less experienced Rob Johnson.

again, just playing devil's advocate -- what if the guy ain't that good? and what if it's pretty apparent to everybody?

544498[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree. What if he honesty just sucks ass? Note that that's not what I want, but it is certainly a possibility.

Guest BackInDaDay

544498[/snapback]

Then the Bills should start him against a poor Jets team and give him every oportunity to shine. Kind of like spiffin' up the old lemon and driving it up and down Main St trying to get some chumps interested.

If that's what they all think, then they better try to recover something for that wasted 1st rounder.

Now, please don't tell me our team's the only one that would waste time, money and draft picks on adding obvious busts to our roster. There's got to be another owner/GM tandem out there that hasn't done their homework either.

would carson palmer have beat out jon kitna in open competition last year?

544445[/snapback]

Seriously. I cannot believe the drivel people are spewing over Holcromb. Kitna played OUTSTANDING ball the year before, but no one messed with the Palmer kid's development.

But in Bills land a QB with 5 starts better put up or he goes to the bench....for a career journeyman. Fans and press have created a fake QB controversy, and it was allowed to fester because MM didn't put his foot down and cut this puppy off at the knees.

I was here for DF v RJ, but this one is about as bogus and "Dawgged" as anything I have ever seen. 'We' fans better get a grip.

More much ado about nothing... None of the players said anything remotely negative about Losman.. None of the players said Holcomb should be the starter..

You could have replaced Holcomb with any other player and got similar responses. Every player knows they could lose their job at any time. Players accept that because they know the other 52 guys are in the same boat.

544511[/snapback]

Normally I would agree with you. Recall, however, the first time JP was benched in favor of Holcomb, the vetrans (Moulds, Campbell, etc etc) all said they were exicted to see Holcomb play, but always added the qualifier that JP was "the future".

It is strange. I was very much in favor of Losman being benched after week 4. I thought he had played three of the worst games I had ever seen a Bills QB play (keep in mind, I had season tickets back in the Ferragamo/Mathison/Dufek era). I wasn't writing him off as a bust, but I was firmly convinced that he was a long, long way from being ready to be a starting NFL QB.

Upon JP's second stint as the starter, I thought he showed a lot of progress. Not great, mind you, but I thought the benching was Mularkeys best (if not only) good move of the season. Now, that he has actually had some modicum of success, the media, a growing number of fans, and maybe some coaches seem less enthused about him than they were before he did anything. It just seems like there is something more to this whole thing.

IMO, JP should start Sunday, if healthy...

... Anyway Losman is nowhere near as good as Holcomb. Holcomb has a much better sense of field awarness.  More accurate, and better at getting every wr involved. and Holcomb should be allowed to compete for the job next year.

544449[/snapback]

And this revelation should come as a suprise how?!? Of course KH will be better than JP at this stage of the game. He's been in the league longer and played more than JP. This season is JP's first in starting. Get a grip folks.

to repeat: based upon college career, draft position, play this year, etc., losman has pretty definitively proven -- so far -- that he's no carson palmer. so please don't compare the two ...

544497[/snapback]

College career and draft position mean absolutely nothing.

Play this year? Maybe if Losman weren't getting pulled every 3 games he would have been able to progress like Palmer did his first year. We'll never know.

JP has 8 starts under his belt and that is ample for getting his "feet wet" in the NFL. If he's as good as people think , he will bust out in training camp next season and win the job hands down. Many teams including the BIlls are not going to kill a season by trying to develop a QB. The Bills 2005 season was effectively kiiled by a rookie QB and a poor defense. Next year they will upgrade the D again and use the QB that gives them the best chance to win and i will support whoever they choose.

The Bills 2005 season was effectively kiiled by a rookie QB and a poor defense. 

544567[/snapback]

You're half-right there.

Yeah, Holcomb has more wins this year. what, 2 of them?

The Defense BLEW this year. So did the O-Line, so did Willis. So did the coaching for that matter. I'd hardly pin this season on Losman.