Official "Keep Losman in there" thread

Forget another start,  he has the rest of the season.

He showed enough today,  to warrant the Bills finishing his development.  There is NO reason to stunt his growth any longer,  this kid has obvious starting talent.  Kelly obviously doesn't.

501572[/snapback]

Absolutely. I hope some people today woke up to the fact that the kid CAN play. He is our guy now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got our solution. Put Holcomb's brain in JP's body. I've got Dr. Frankenstein on my speed dial....  <_<

Today showed that the struggles earlier weren't all JP, and that what issues he had, and has still (like a soft touch on short passes), aren't too much to overcome. Watching from the bench probably helped him realize that he needs to distribute the ball and not be afraid to go with short dink-and-dunk passes every so often to keep a D honest. This amount of time on the bench was probably opportune. If he's benched next week, it starts to be a detriment to him (see: Tim Couch).

There will be some mistakes as he gets experience. I accepted this going into the season and I still accept it now. Time to find out what we've got rather than settling for mediocrity disguised by garbage-time-like comp/att ratios from Holcomb.

501645[/snapback]

The only one in need of Dr. Frankenstein is you Sherlock. Holcomb’s brain is right where it belongs, in the head on journeyman middle reliever that will never be anything more than a back-up. Just watch the NE game to refresh your rather short memory.

With time this kid will be just fine. He was over coached and over-pumped at the beginning of the year and learned over the last 4 weeks to play the way he knows how, with his feet and strong arm. He will take more lumps assured, but he has the raw material to be exceptional given that TD can overhaul the offensive line and find a solid tight end. You should go back to the rookie seasons of John Elway, Patyon Manning, Eli Manning and you might start to appreciate what it takes to play QB in the NFL.

Guest BackInDaDay
The only one in need of Dr. Frankenstein is you Sherlock. Holcomb’s brain is right where it belongs, in the head on journeyman middle reliever that will never be anything more than a back-up. Just watch the NE game to refresh your rather short memory.

With time this kid will be just fine. He was over coached and over-pumped at the beginning of the year and learned over the last 4 weeks to play the way he knows how, with his feet and strong arm. He will take more lumps assured, but he has the raw material to be exceptional given that TD can overhaul the offensive line and find a solid tight end. You should go back to the rookie seasons of John Elway, Patyon Manning, Eli Manning and you might start to appreciate what it takes to play QB in the NFL.

502221[/snapback]

I agree with your remarks on JP's prep for the season, but in fairness to the coaching staff, they were preparing the kid to play mistake-free ball. The D and STs were suppose to give him 'short fields' to work a conservative O in.

Unfortunately, most D coordinatoors understand an O as well as the O coordinatoor. They attacked our JP O by taking away our WRs and outside running game. The combination of the speed of NFL coverages and JP's inexperience were hard to overcome. He just couldn't get through his progressions fast enough. Every open window closed in an instant. This was a very good game for him, primarily because he decided at some point during his demotion that the next time he goes out there, he'd go out as JP Losman - the cocky SOB that's gonna make some plays.

Now in the coaches (and UConn James) defense, you don't mind seeing the kid come in all full of piss and vinegar, but he's got to work the system. I don't think Mularkey was surprised at JP's success, because I think that if it was up to him and Wyche the kid wouldn't have sat in the first place. I think Mularkey's low-key response to JP's success in his PC was because even though JP made plays, he didn't always work the system. That's a coaches mentality and I think that's what UConn was going after. Combine Holcomb's experience in playing within a system with JP's superior natural abilities and we've got ourelves quite a QB.

Mike Mularkey is no Charlie Weis.

I remember a couple of weeks ago when Weis was interviewed on the way to the locker room at half time.  The interviewer asked him why ND kept throwing the ball and had only run it 3 times the entire half.

Weis said:  If they're going to keep putting 8 and 9 men in the box, we're going to throw it on every down.

No overthinking it there.

501745[/snapback]

Well said.

It is amazing that we did not hire him. It really was foolish.

it's a no-brainer. keep JP in there. of course, it was also a no-brainer to run the ball on 4th-and-3-inches in the first quarter.

i don't trust this coaching staff. but i hope they make the right call and keep JP in as the starter.

JP is 2-3 with the majority of snaps this season. Holcomb is 2-2. Give me the guy with the more upside (JP) any day. He needs to get on the field and learn to play in the league.

To play devils advocate though, JP was two passes away from getting shut out yesterday, so the immediate future isn't all roses. I just think the guy needs to play, and the suckiness of the division overal means he will get some meaningful action proably up to the end of the season.

JP is 2-3 with the majority of snaps this season.  Holcomb is 2-2. Give me the guy with the more upside (JP) any day. He needs to get on the field and learn to play in the league.

To play devils advocate though, JP was two passes away from getting shut out yesterday, so the immediate future isn't all roses. I just think the guy needs to play, and the suckiness of the division overal means he will get some meaningful action proably up to the end of the season.

502479[/snapback]

You're right. The Bills were 14 points away from being shut out! They were twelve points away from a loss! :rolleyes: Those two plays won the friggin' game. Those two plays keep the Chefs from giving the ball to Larry Johnson every play and walking down the field all game long and winning it themselves. Those two plays are why we drafted the kid in the first place.

Of all the ridiculous criticisms to lay, taking away two excellent scoring plays when that is why they play the game, that is what every coach will tell you ("we made plays" or "we didn't make plays"), what every top analyst or guru of the game has been saying on a weekly basis for 50 years ("the games are decided by 2-3 plays, whoever makes the plays wins the game") is simply incredible.

JP is 2-3 with the majority of snaps this season.  Holcomb is 2-2. Give me the guy with the more upside (JP) any day. He needs to get on the field and learn to play in the league.

502479[/snapback]

Not sure what you're getting at there. Brady is 3 plays away from being on the losing end of 3 Super Bowls and being the next Jim Kelly instead of the next Joe Montana. It didn't happen that way, so speculation about how it could have happened is worthless.

Losman also connected on a big pass to Reed to set up that first score (on 2nd and 19!), and he also threw a smart shot to Campbell that got us out of a jam deep in our zone. Those are the kinds of plays that are going to make this offense believe in itself and in its new QB, to say nothing of the two big TD tosses that allowed Evans to showcase his ability and effort.

True, KC's pass D is not stellar, but that's all the more reason to go after them with the pass -- and it succeeded.

He gets my vote.  Start him the rest of the year and hopefully he'll prove worthy of starting for the next 10 years.

501576[/snapback]

This comment from Peter King on Eli Manning in todays MMQB column is

telling...

11. New York Giants (6-3). I feel safe in saying that was the worst special-teams game I've ever seen a team play. And Eli Manning worries me. As good as I think he's going to be, he can be terribly inaccurate

The guy has 10 games this year plus almost the entire last year....and here

people are harsh on JP after 4 games...

The guy has to play the rest of the year to get any chance of improving and

fixing his inaccuracies.

Of all the ridiculous criticisms to lay, taking away two excellent scoring plays when that is why they play the game, that is what every coach will tell you ("we made plays" or "we didn't make plays"), what every top analyst or guru of the game has been saying on a weekly basis for 50 years ("the games are decided by 2-3 plays, whoever makes the plays wins the game") is simply incredible.

502498[/snapback]

Thanks for explaining to me what offensive gurus think, and your lesson in basic math.

My point was that I want JP in there (like most others), but we should be patient because there will be good weeks when those plays are there and made, but there will be those when they will not. Thats the nature of a young QB. With experience and good development, I'd expect/hope we'll see a lot more of what we glimpsed yesterday.

He showed enough today,  to warrant the Bills finishing his development.  There is NO reason to stunt his growth any longer,  this kid has obvious starting talent.  Kelly obviously doesn't.

501572[/snapback]

I'm not saying JP should or shouldn't start next week, but it should be pretty obvious by his performance yesterday that his development hadn't been "stunted" by being the #2 QB.

If anything, I think it aided in his development. His post game comments yesterday was the first time he sounded like a legit NFL QB to me.

My point was that I want JP in there (like most others), but we should be patient because there will be good weeks when those plays are there and made, but there will be those when they will not.  Thats the nature of a young QB. 

502611[/snapback]

I argue that you can say that (last sentence) about almost every starting QB in the NFL today.

I'm not saying JP should or shouldn't start next week, but it should be pretty obvious by his performance yesterday that his development hadn't been "stunted" by being the #2 QB.

If anything, I think it aided in his development.  His post game comments yesterday was the first time he sounded like a legit NFL QB to me.

502620[/snapback]

I agree it prolly did help him (tho I still dont know if I would have benched him). He looks like a completely different guy out there. I don't think there's any way the coaches could start Holcomb after the game JP played yesterday. He proved more adequate than Holcomb yesterday, so why would you drop him when he's hot? He should really be in the rest of the season... if he's not, well... screw the future huh?

We called this when Holcomb was first named starter... that Holcomb would get hurt and JP would come back and play well... I vaguely remember the thread... Looks like we predicted the future pretty well.

If anything, I think it aided in his development.  His post game comments yesterday was the first time he sounded like a legit NFL QB to me.

502620[/snapback]

Sorry Campy, I'd like to agree, but how can you speculate he wouldn't have been better yesterday, had he played these last four?

Sure, the benching didn't kill him, but it took 4 games of experience away from him. Especially two cupcakes, that Holcomb got put on a pedastal for beating.

Seeing both QB's, versus the same team, in the same conditions, gave me a better perspective on who's better. It's not even close, KH shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as JP anymore. As far as I'm concerned, KH getting hurt won us the game.