bills offer mcgee lucrative contract extension

You're right in many respects.  But there's a difference between then and now.  When we let AW go, we had Nate with McGee emerging.  Despite how good he's become, McGee is not yet where Nate was (as a cover and tackling CB) when AW left.  Also, there is nobody at the point where McGee was.  King may get there...McGee may get there.  But we're starting further behind, in talent and experience, we were when we let Winfield leave.  I think we may franchise Nate.

482097[/snapback]

I dont know if i would say mcgee was "developing" when AW left. That season was mcgee's rook year, and the nickel back was kevin thomas. Hence i see eric king as being in the same role mcgee was in that season. If we do let nate go, i think we'll still need to grab a decent corner, not bargain basement. That being said, i am pumped that McGee is close to re-signing/has beed re-signed.

Now, to get a McGee jersey (ask my bills backers club, i am the resident mcgee apologist) Go T-Mac!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it.. BUT, say goodbye to Nate Clements.

482043[/snapback]

Maybe, maybe not. I don't see why extending Mcgee would have any effect on re-siginging NC. We will have more then enough cash to spend on Mcgee and NC next offseason. Eric Moulds will be gone next year and he'll save us 5 mil, Drew bledsoes dead cap money will be gone and that's another 5 mil. We wll see the salary cap move up another 5 -7 million. The Bills should be very capable of signing NC.

However, IMO if NC wants too much money we will franchise him and entertain trades that will include a minimum of a top 1st round pick.

I dont know if i would say mcgee was "developing" when AW left. That season was mcgee's rook year, and the nickel back was kevin thomas. Hence i see eric king as being in the same role mcgee was in that season. If we do let nate go, i think we'll still need to grab a decent corner, not bargain basement. That being said, i am pumped that McGee is close to re-signing/has beed re-signed.

Now, to get a McGee jersey (ask my bills backers club, i am the resident mcgee apologist) Go T-Mac!

482109[/snapback]

You are correct re:McGee...dunno what i was thinking. I still stand by by other stuff, though.

May want to wait til the extension's done to get the jersey...if that's what you were waiting for. If not...go get that jersey!

482109[/snapback]

Speaking of Thomas, any word on how his rehab is going? If he were to be able to return close to his old form, it would take SOME of the pressure off on resigning Nate.

Also, I agree that it is great news, if in fact it's true, that the Bills are close to extending McGee's deal.

Speaking of Thomas, any word on how his rehab is going?  If he were to be able to return close to his old form, it would take SOME of the pressure off on resigning Nate.

482125[/snapback]

Which form are you referring to? The last few games of 2002 where he was lights out, or the form of 2003 & 2004 where he was toast?

i never stated TD doesn't offer players contracts before their out year.......it has been well documented in the past that he has done just that with numerous impending free agents.......however, i have called him cheap and this articile pounds that point home.......he tried to lowball first so mcgee and his agent told him to get bent.......now that he has a REAL offer they are listening and actually trying to work out a deal........see how that works?

I don't know what kind of car you drive but 20 bucks says you overpaid.

This is great news. Signing McGee for "Schobel money" would be a wonderful for both the Bills and TM in untold ways....

McGee would have a lifetime of financial security. Yes, he could earn more if he waits, but he runs the risk of injury. Also, locking up McGee would put the Bills in a stronger position wrt Clements. A Peerless type franchise and trade deal would be more plausible if NC's demands are too high.

Imo, only good things can happen to all parties if TD is able to pull the trigger on this.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lowball strategy works occasionaly, but not very often......he could have had mcgee locked up at 3.5M per year last season, but he didn't have the balls to do it......now we're looking at 4-4.5M per year likely, if we can even get him to sign at all.......and you think this is a good strategy?

a GM is supposed to be a talent evaluator, not a talent reactor......anyone can sign guys to extensions once they burst.......the trick is to get them locked up before their values soar through the roof.......

482080[/snapback]

umm...would you have praised TD for a 3.5M per year extension of mcgee at this time last year? if so, you're the only one. nobody thought mcgee was going to be a potentially first-rate corner until watching his further development in the off-season and his play over the first 6 weeks of this season.

Love it.. BUT, say goodbye to Nate Clements.

482043[/snapback]

I'm not convinced. Yes we are offering McGee a nice contract but I would be suprosed especially if TD is still our GM. That was his first round pick in 2001 and I think he'll want him to stay.

We cannot have everything the way we want.....Our goal should be is

to build a good OL and DL with the existing set of players and we should

be a better than average team....We can't be paying for every rising

player....No team does that...

482089[/snapback]

No sh--. But Clements CAN be re-signed. The money is there. It may mean cutting MW and Moulds, but so what? Clements is more valuable to this team than either of those 2, and would also be harder to replace elsewhere (draft or free agency).

Eball last year was his first year starting at cb, he has improved greatly but last year he showed a hell of alot more than people are giving him credit for in my opinion,am i way off base?

482292[/snapback]

No, you aren't off base. McGee has been much better than he's given credit for since day one as a starter. He wasn't perfect, but even early last year, you could see that he was going to be a good one. The only thing he lacks is height; he can cover, he can tackle and he can make a play on the ball. I think he may actually be better than Winfield was due to his big play ability. His return skills just made him that much more valuable. I would have considered him worthy of this contract extension this past offseason and I think the Bills are getting a bargain if he signs. Its a great move locking him up with a relatively inexpensive contract before his price goes through the roof.

Hilarious. You are so anti-TD that you can't even admit when he's doing something good. Dont' be an ass, bud.

i never stated TD doesn't offer players contracts before their out year.......it has been well documented in the past that he has done just that with numerous impending free agents.......however, i have called him cheap and this articile pounds that point home.......he tried to lowball first so mcgee and his agent told him to get bent.......now that he has a REAL offer they are listening and actually trying to work out a deal........see how that works?......players and their agents don't like to be insulted.....

lowball strategy works occasionaly, but not very often......he could have had mcgee locked up at 3.5M per year last season, but he didn't have the balls to do it......now we're looking at 4-4.5M per year likely, if we can even get him to sign at all.......and you think this is a good strategy?

a GM is supposed to be a talent evaluator, not a talent reactor......anyone can sign guys to extensions once they burst.......the trick is to get them locked up before their values soar through the roof.......

482080[/snapback]

Eball last year was his first year starting at cb, he has improved greatly but last year he showed a hell of alot more than people are giving him credit for in my opinion,am i way off base?

482292[/snapback]

my point is not that he wasn't any good last year, but that he was still raw as a corner and a few eyebrows would have been raised if TD gave him that sort of extension at that time. i completely agree that right now, if we can get a deal done it's a great thing. he's one of my favorite players on the team.

And if Nate isn't replaced with another CB of similar caliber or with a premier pass rusher, you can say goodbye to our pass defense as well.

Sorry guys, I like McGee a lot and think he is an outstanding #2 CB, but if you think he'll make us forget Clements as a #1, then you may be in for a rude awakening.

482061[/snapback]

I'm with you there buddy. I hope we do franchise him this year and pick up an excellent corner with one of our top 2 picks in the next draft.

This totally blew me away:

Coach Mike Mularkey admitted this week that the Buffalo staff has actually considered using McGee on offense in some situations.

Terrence is a good player but only the very special ones can play both ways. But we haven't seen what he could do as a receiver yet and it might still be a tough transition for him.