(OT) Best vehicle for a family of 5.

PIZ

We have a Blazer right now. We just found out we are having our 3rd baby and the baby is due in April. All 3 kids will be under 6 years old, so we will need 3 carseats. One booster, a toddler car seat, and a baby car seat. The blazer's back seat is definitely too small for 3 seats. My wife loves having a 4 x 4 because she feels safer and more comfortable in the winter. I'm thinking either a Trailblazer or Durango with a 3rd seat, or a Dodge Caravan (AWD or front wheel drive). Anybody have any advice, besides using protection next time. Advice on a vehicle.

We just bought a Honda Pilot. It has the third row. The big reason was the amount of space you really have in the third row. Other then something like a Sequoia, this is the only one that can fit smaller adults if needed back there.

Personally I wanted the Murano, but the wife convinced me to get the Pilot. The only knock on the Pilot is subpar speakers.

I know people that have had Durangos and couldnt wait to get rid of them. I own a Jeep Cherokee Grand Laredo and when this one goes I'll buy another. I dont know if it will fit your seating requirements but if it's safety you're interested in, the thing is built like a tank.

Ford Explorer has the most room in the back with the seats up in the back. It is mid size SUV and you will be very happy over all. I have one and I would like the quality to be better but the size is excelent.

I am a single Male parent with two children and as they grew through the years and the back went from strollers to Football pads and lacross sticks I never worried about fitting whatever into the back area with the back seat up. Also the split seat comes in handy.

I would like to suggest you look for something with great gas mileage, but its hard to find something big enough for your family that can get that kind of gas mileage. I could suggest some of the smaller AWD station wagons, but even those barely get over 20 MPG, and if you can't get 3 baby seats in the back of a blazer then obviously your not going to do it with a wagon.

Do a little research on consumer reports. I believe its only $30.00 for a year subscritption and it will help you considerably in your search. Not to mention they have relatively good info on most major products.

Best to ya and your family.

We have a Blazer right now.  We just found out we are having our 3rd baby and the baby is due in April.  All 3 kids will be under 6 years old, so we will need 3 carseats.  One booster, a toddler car seat, and a baby car seat.  The blazer's back seat is definitely too small for 3 seats.  My wife loves having a 4 x 4 because she feels safer and more comfortable in the winter.  I'm thinking either a Trailblazer or Durango with a 3rd seat, or a Dodge Caravan (AWD or front wheel drive).  Anybody have any advice, besides using protection next time.  Advice on a vehicle.

34737[/snapback]

We have had the Honda Odessey for the last 4 years and absolutely love it.

The ease with which the side doors allow you to load and unload children

is worth every cent...

By the way the Explorer fits three car seats in the back seat no problem and I think now they might have a third seat availible but you have to check that out for sure. If you are not sure bring them with you and fit them in right in front of the sales person.

That stuff drives them nuts and its fun to see the salesperson sweat as you do it. :D:D

Stay away from the new Durango's!!!!

When they manufactured them the swing arm for the front steering column was designed upside down and it has been causing too much stress on the joints.

Every 30K people are having to take thier vehicles in b/c the wheels are popping out of joint.

There have been a lot of deaths related to this as well.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/..._dur_steer.html

http://www.wfmynews2.com/2wk/2wk.asp?ID=1160

I own a 2000 Dodge Dakota and I've already had the ball joints replaced twice. And I had this done on my own the second time. The first time I was pulling out of a parking lot and the driver side wheel damn near snapped off on me.

...I owned a 2000 Explorer. I had it for 2 months and traded it in b/c it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. It was a 6 cylinder and the milage was atroucious, I had it in the 3 TIMES in the 2 months I owned. I'll never buy another Ford.

But, hey that's just my experience. It was my wife's vehicle. We ended up getting a Maxima...

I've heard a ton of good things about the Trailblazer. And they have the third row seating.

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and the easy access and ability to add/remove seats makes it very versitile. You can go from carrying up to 7 adults to removing the seats and carrying sheets of plywood. The new models are even better in that the seats fold down into the floor, and you have the option of bucket or bench seats.

Prior to that I had a Ford Windstar which had a nice interior but the engine was horrible. The head gasket had to be replaced twice within two years, and I had to fight with the regional reps to get them payed for. A coworker had the same thing happen to his Windstar while on vacation.

Stay away from the new Durango's!!!!

When they manufactured them the swing arm for the front steering column was designed upside down and it has been causing too much stress on the joints.

Every 30K people are having to take thier vehicles in b/c the wheels are popping out of joint.

There have been a lot of deaths related to this as well.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/..._dur_steer.html

http://www.wfmynews2.com/2wk/2wk.asp?ID=1160

I own a 2000 Dodge Dakota and I've already had the ball joints replaced twice. And I had this done on my own the second time. The first time I was pulling out of a parking lot and the driver side wheel damn near snapped off on me.

34765[/snapback]

If the problem only effects 2000-2003 Durangos, shouldn't the statement read, Stay away from old DURANGOS!!

I have a 2004 and it is mint.

My wife has a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country. We've had no problems with it and really like it...very roomy and the seats are comfy (the two in the middle are removable). As far as looks, I think it is stylish (as minivans go) and seems less "castrating" than most of the others. Happy shopping.

Guest Kent14_*

Minivans are the only way to go. Tons of storage room and seating configurations. As far as feeling less "manly", I drove a '94 Dodge Grand Caravan at college. I was in a fraternity so you can guess how that went. I took quite a lot of grief until I started being the DD. Suddenly I'm not the soccer mom but the bus driver. Everyone talks about how much they hate the stigma of driving a minivan but once you've had one you don't want anything else. For the most part they drive great, get good gas mileage, and handle well in the snow(even without the AWD) I got rid of mine 3 months ago after 230,000 miles and I can't wait til I can get another one.

If the problem only effects 2000-2003 Durangos, shouldn't the statement read, Stay away from old DURANGOS!!

I have a 2004 and it is mint.

------------------------------------------------

I hate to tell you this, but it's the same suspension as the 2003.

Not sure on your price point, but we bought an Acura MDX last year and it is great. It has a folding 3rd row, about the most cargo space of any mid-size SUV, good gas mileage (17/22 is what we have been getting) and the reliability of an Acura which is tremendous...the Honda Pilot is a cousin and a great vehicle too...hope this helps

...I owned a 2000 Explorer. I had it for 2 months and traded it in b/c it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. It was a 6 cylinder and the milage was atroucious, I had it in the 3 TIMES in the 2 months I owned. I'll never buy another Ford.

But, hey that's just my experience. It was my wife's vehicle. We ended up getting a Maxima...

I've heard a ton of good things about the Trailblazer. And they have the third row seating.

34767[/snapback]

My brother has a Trailblazer, 3 kids, and it appears to be a piece of crap. It's been in and out of the shop a lot of times. My coworker has a Trailblazer that's a piece of crap, too. Stay away.

My brother's first vehicle when he found out baby number two was actually babies number two and three was a Dodge Caravan EXT Sport. It's good in snow, you can get it with AWD I believe, and it's still going strong 7 years later.

Good luck, Daddio!

I didn't read through all the responses, so apologies in advance if this has already been posted... just wanted to encourage you to think about safety concerns with 3rd-row seats. Rear-end accident tests are not currently standard procedure in rating car safety, even though rear-end crashes are the most common. :D Organizations who have independently reviewed rear-end accident data have found that most vehicles with 3rd-row seats expose those passengers to extreme danger. This is especially true in minivans and station wagons, where there's only a foot or two of crumple-zone between the rear bumper and the 3rd row, but it's also a concern in SUVs.

If it was me, I'd buy a Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon -- all-wheel drive, zippy, great handling.

Good luck!

Three child seats? Wow...

The AWD Sienna might be an alternative to the Caravan, but I think they're the only two AWD minivans.

Expedition? I've never been in one, but I love my F150.

Hardy, how do you fit 3 car seats in an S4? Maybe an A6...

Edited by KnightRider

A few people here have said mini-vans, they're the best, especially Chryslers. Lots of room, good mileage, and versatile. I've used my 94 Voyager or 2003 Town & Country for vacations, hauling 2 ATV's, and inside 1300# of landscape blocks and 20 roof shingle bundles. They're great! Get a roof top carrier for even more room.

Even my 17yr old likes the 94 because he can pick up all his buddies and gals and go out. I'm not sure I like that though

Manly?? Buy Enzyte.............

Minivans are the only way to go.  Tons of storage room and seating configurations.  As far as feeling less "manly", I drove a '94 Dodge Grand Caravan at college.  I was in a fraternity so you can guess how that went.  I took quite a lot of grief until I started being the DD.  Suddenly I'm not the soccer mom but the bus driver.  Everyone talks about how much they hate the stigma of driving a minivan but once you've had one you don't want anything else.  For the most part they drive great, get good gas mileage, and handle well in the snow(even without the AWD)  I got rid of mine 3 months ago after 230,000 miles and I can't wait til I can get another one.

34782[/snapback]

Minivans are the best choice. Sure, no points for style or prestige, but are excellent for families, are configurable for hauling quite a bit of cargo, and have gas mileage far superior to Trks & SUV's. Had a 94 Cravan, and now have a 03 Grand Caravan. With the 3.3 liter engine I gotten a hair over 27 mpg on my last trip to Buffalo. SUV's are too expensive, and too expensive to operate. If you get just get by the "status" thing, Minivans simply make the best sense in most, maybe not all, but most cases. When I bought the 03 Grand Caravan, I too wanted an SUV but after all the research and the costs, I just could justify buying one. Happy I didn't too.

Our 2nd vehicle is a Mini Van. A Pontiac Montana loaded to the breasts. Montanavision DVD system, great for the kids, multi disc CD changer with MP3 player. Leather, heated seats. A plethora of seat combinations, superb ride, excellent gas mileage and cheap insurance.

If you got kids to haul around - I have 3 boys under the age of 12 and each into sports galore, you cannot beat a mini van.