Anyone been to Hershey Park?

Was thinking of stopping there on the way back from Buffalo after the 4th - would it be worth it?

Also - is Darien Lake worth a day trip from Buffalo? My last experience there was when I worked there in the summers over 20 years ago (!) - I believe it may have changed slightly since I left :doh:

My kids are 7 and like all 'real' rides - they've done all the major rides at Disney multiple times and Busch Gardens in Tampa - as long as they meet the height req they are raring to go (and even if they don't they still want to go :devil: )

Was thinking of stopping there on the way back from Buffalo after the 4th - would it be worth it?

Also - is Darien Lake worth a day trip from Buffalo?  My last experience there was when I worked there in the summers over 20 years ago (!) - I believe it may have changed slightly since I left  :doh:

My kids are 7 and like all 'real' rides - they've done all the major rides at Disney multiple times and Busch Gardens in Tampa - as long as they meet the height req they are raring to go (and even if they don't they still want to go  :devil: )

364100[/snapback]

I havent been to hershey park in about 12 years, but when i went it was fun...

as for Darien Lake, i'd say its worth doing...i love roller coasters and big rides and such, and since six flags took over, Darien lake has been booming with a bunch of new rides and more roller coasters...i'd say definitely do it, i love darien lake...

Where do you live, and where are you going through?

Hershey is just okay, not a lot of rides IMHO. The factory is okay.

But if you're going through VA, for a lot of BIG rides go to King's Dominion, right off 95 North of Richmond. If you have a little more time and a better family atmosphere go to Busch Garden in Williamsburg. They have lots of rides, a water country park down the road, and more family things to do at the park.

Hershey is just okay, not a lot of rides IMHO.  The factory is okay. 

But if you're going through VA, for a lot of BIG rides go to King's Dominion, right off 95 North of Richmond.  If you have a little more time and a better family atmosphere go to Busch Garden in Williamsburg.  They have lots of rides, a water country park down the road, and more family things to do at the park.

364152[/snapback]

We are hitting King's Dominion on the way up. Hershey Park was a thought for the way back since it is right on the way if I take 15.

We are hitting King's Dominion on the way up.  Hershey Park was a thought for the way back since it is right on the way if I take 15.

364164[/snapback]

I think you'll like Hershey Park. I took my grand kids there a few years ago - when they were in the 7 to 10 range - and they loved it. Good coasters and other stuff.

Hershey Park is awesome, especially if you like roller coasters. I only ride the coasters when I go there, they are so good... they are awesome. The Great Bear is awesome, it's got the track above you so your feet dangle, you MUST sit in the very front seats, you'll probably have to wait an extra 15 minutes or so, but it is SOOO worth it. The front seat is a must!!!

they have some good wooden coasters, two they just built like 5-6 years ago, ... good stuff

super dooper looper is not good anymore... especially if you are over 6ft tall. boring ride and not enough room, I'm 6'5" and my knees were all bruised after that ride... just wanted to let you know

But if you're going through VA, for a lot of BIG rides go to King's Dominion, right off 95 North of Richmond.  If you have a little more time and a better family atmosphere go to Busch Garden in Williamsburg.  They have lots of rides, a water country park down the road, and more family things to do at the park.

364152[/snapback]

Im sorry but Kings Dominion is SO GHETTO.....Dirty, Metal detectors, rough crowd. I'd avoid it.

Hershey is a great park probably a top 5 NON DISNEY park. Bush Gardens Williamsburg is the most beautiful park in the country (Nicer than Disney) as it is biuld in lush woods over a ravine.

Hershey has 3 wood coasters (one a racer), an inverted, a great launched coaster, a coaster where you have a water war as you ride with the people in line, a few great water rides, a boomerang and a entertaining 3d movie. Your kids will love it. Plus the Superdooperlooper, no matter what anyone says a great starter coaster for kids and still one heck of a fun ride

Darien lake is a mid sized park that would be entertaining if you havent been there. But it is no Hershey

super dooper looper is not good anymore... especially if you are over 6ft tall.  boring ride and not enough room, I'm 6'5" and my knees were all bruised after that ride...    just wanted to let you know

364182[/snapback]

Yeah when I saw the pic at that link I was surprised it was a lot smaller than I remembered. When you're five years old that thing looks humongous. :devil:

364152[/snapback]

They don't actually allow visitors into the part where the chocolate is manufactured. You get to ride a tour ride of the place. Still, it is entertaining and worth a trip.

They don't actually allow visitors into the part where the chocolate is manufactured.  You get to ride a tour ride of the place.  Still, it is entertaining and worth a trip.

364203[/snapback]

They used to. But you're right. Last year when I was there it was only the limited ride.

I live about 5 miles from the Hershey Park and have not been there in years. They have added several new rides over the last couple years. The park is always busy. You have to take the Chocolate World tour. Your kids will like it.

Also - is Darien Lake worth a day trip from Buffalo?  My last experience there was when I worked there in the summers over 20 years ago (!) - I believe it may have changed slightly since I left  :doh:

My kids are 7 and like all 'real' rides - they've done all the major rides at Disney multiple times and Busch Gardens in Tampa - as long as they meet the height req they are raring to go (and even if they don't they still want to go  :devil: )

364100[/snapback]

I know it's out of your way and probably not doable this trip, but get those kids to Cedar Point in the future. It is head and shoulders above the competition that I have seen or heard about(Six Flags, Kings Dominion, etc...). It's not Disney like from a theme park perspective, but when you are comparing amusement parks, it is second to none.

http://www.cedarpoint.com

I know it's out of your way and probably not doable this trip, but get those kids to Cedar Point in the future.    It is head and shoulders above the competition that I have seen or heard about(Six Flags, Kings Dominion, etc...).  It's not Disney like from a theme park perspective, but when you are comparing amusement parks, it is second to none.

http://www.cedarpoint.com

364227[/snapback]

Cedar Point is the best park for rollercoasters, period. I used to go there just about every summer when I lived in Erie. I haven't been there in quite a few years, and I'd love to go there soon.

Darien Lake is worth a day trip. But the park is run terribly. There really isn't all that much as far as rides go. Superman is a top ride, but otherwise, nothing special.

Hershey is nice, good family atmosphere. Kinks Dominion does have good rides, but I agree with the comment about it being Getto! Busch Gardens in Va is much nicer, though rides aren't quite as good/wild.

From Buffalo to Hershey is about the same as Buffalo to Cedar Point which blows them all away If I were going anyplace from Buffalo, I'd head west to CP. Plus I get to stop in Cleveland for White Castle's.

Darien Lake brings back memories. I was a ride operator there over summer vacation during my college years. What a great job it was to meet girls..... and make people puke if they were annoying.

If you enjoy rides Cedar Point is well worth the couple hour drive. I've gone every summer the last few years and even bought a season's pass last summer. They have 16 roller coasters including the tallest and fastest one in the world (top thrill dragster) and another one that held the same title a couple years ago (millenium force). Overall, there's about 8 or 9 coasters alone that you can go on over and over and not get sick of.

I went to Hershey Park about 45 years ago (not a typo-45 years ago) and again about 4 years ago. It wasn't the same park at all. It's good sized and has all the requisite rides. The only think that I missed from the first time back in prehistory was the tour of the actual factory. Now they have a tour that shows the whole process of chocolate manufacture, but it's only models and animation etc., not the real deal. Ultimately, that is a very subjective decision though. To some Six Flags Darien Lake (which I like) and Hershey Park are worth it, to some they aren't.

I went to Hershey Park about 45 years ago (not a typo-45 years ago) and again about 4 years ago.  It wasn't the same park at all.  It's good sized and has all the requisite rides.  The only think that I missed from the first time back in prehistory was the tour of the actual factory.  Now they have a tour that shows the whole process of chocolate manufacture, but it's only models and animation etc., not the real deal.  Ultimately, that is a very subjective decision though.  To some Six Flags Darien Lake (which I like) and Hershey Park are worth it, to some they aren't.

364432[/snapback]

I actually went there when I was a kid like over 30 years ago - the tour of the factory is actually the only thing I remember (and the smell :D )

Last year we went to Hershey Park for a Dave Matthews concert...(Sat)

Then on Sunday we took the chocolate factory tour,,,It was pretty good..

A must for any fan of chocolate...The smell was great...

The rides looked pretty good too...

Hersheypark is very nice...have lived outside of hershey for the last 15 years, and have been there at least once a year since then. Lots of coasters, and other fun rides for everyone...I'm going there twice next month, looking forward to it...

I haven't been to Darien Lake in about 7 years, but it was pretty fun for me when I was there last...I was 15 7 years ago, so it should be fun for the kids.

My baby brother (48 years old) lives in Hershey. His son has worked both in the park where he dressed up in one of those big cartoon character costumes, and as a tour guide in the Chocolate World exhibit.

Yeah its awesome there. My roomate in college's mom was one of the park managers. Its the kind of place you figure, eh no big deal it might be cool, then you go and you have a great time. The streetlights are shaped like kisses and the entire area smells like chocolate. Im not even a big consumer of sweets, but I had a blast.

Milton Hershey was a noted philanthropist. I saw a show about him several years ago, and it related an anecdote - when the town was being essentially constructed - the Hershey School, etc, a young engineer told him that the "new" steam engines could do the work of a hundred men. Hershey said to go out and hire a hundred men.

A couple of years ago, there was a move afoot to dissolve the Hershey Trust and sell the assets (Hershey Foods).

Public outcry halted the money grab.

http://www.confectionerynews.com/news/news...shey-trust-bows