Dewayne Carter involved lawsuit against NCAA to pay players.

Whkfc

I believe this ruling will have a profound impact on the NFL Draft. College players will be in a position to select the team they want to play for. The NFL will be challenged to come up with a solution if they want to continue the current draft system.

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't know these lawsuits were pending.  Silly me.   This will change college sports forever.   It will suck the profit out of lots of programs, and without the profits, the programs will struggle. 

Just to get some sense of what this will mean:   Imagine if Josh Allen, after his breakout season at Wyoming, could have "entered the portal" (in other words, become a free agent).   Some school like Alabama or Southern Cal would have offered him a couple million dollars to transfer.  

Good!!! That's America in a nutshell, capitalism at work. The demand for services for a quarterback like Josh should fetch a high amount and interest from the best schools. Once NCAA coaches started making millions and started this whole pay-for-play then it was only right that the players got the same rights to do the same. Nobody ever complained before when coaches from smaller schools took huge paydays to coach at big schools!

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

Paying players has always been around and happened.  Now it's just public and there will be lawsuits over it, because it's a legal transaction now. 

The actual culprit and what will blow up college sports is the portal. 

💯 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Please explain.   

You sound like the most out of touch Boomer on the planet.  People are getting dumber because they wait longer to get married and as a result, don't have a firm grasp on what real life is like?  Do you hear yourself?  Waiting longer to get married could also result in more stable financial security, lower divorce rates, and women having the ability to start careers the same way men do.  There are lots of reasons why society may be "getting dumber" but later marriages isn't in the top 100.  If anything, people are "getting dumber" because they're getting more of their information from uninformed takes they read on the internet every day...

Nor does any of that have anything to do with college football finally getting past the free labor business model it has enjoyed for decades, where the schools got rich and players got zilch.  That system was fundamentally unfair and became more so in today's polarized economy.  Defending the old model because it was "smarter" makes you sound horribly reactionary and frankly, over the hill. 

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

college is already a joke. this is just furthering that point. these players used to have the oppoortunity for a quality education as part of their athletic accomplishments. sadly, for the benefit of football and basketball all other sports will suffer for the student athlete who has accomplished both academically and athletically.

this and the transfer portal are hopefully going to destroy sports and bring those contracts down to reality for these overgrown doofs.

12 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Time to do away with college football.  Carter is one of the lucky 1.6% percent of college football players who were drafted to the NFL.   For the other 98.6% of college football players who will not go on to play in the NFL, having their tuition and degree paid for should be more than enough.  I am fine with the stars of college football being able to use their name and likeness to make money, but to actually pay these guys a paycheck to play football, give me a break.  

Stop the nonsense.  Make a minor league system for football and stop giving away spots in classes for people who actually earn and need the degree long term. 

NIL is pure bull ****. College football is done as we know it and I hate it.  

I have said all college athletes should be paid a stipend since the programs make so much money, but this is BS.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You sound like the most out of touch Boomer on the planet.  People are getting dumber because they wait longer to get married and as a result, don't have a firm grasp on what real life is like?  Do you hear yourself?  Waiting longer to get married could also result in more stable financial security, lower divorce rates, and women having the ability to start careers the same way men do.  There are lots of reasons why society may be "getting dumber" but later marriages isn't in the top 100.  If anything, people are "getting dumber" because they're getting more of their information from uninformed takes they read on the internet every day...

Nor does any of that have anything to do with college football finally getting past the free labor business model it has enjoyed for decades, where the schools got rich and players got zilch.  That system was fundamentally unfair and became more so in today's polarized economy.  Defending the old model because it was "smarter" makes you sound horribly reactionary and frankly, over the hill. 

I am Gen X so count my ass as over the hill as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

College football is toast. Easy to understand why Saban chose to walk away. 

It’ll still be a great game and fans will fill the stadiums. It’s not going to be easy coaching an 18 year old WR making $10 million a year though.

It’s going to be interesting.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe I am over the hill.  But your reaction to my post is another reason why society is getting less intelligent.   You took one piece of the entire post and sensationalized it.   Reread my post.  I said, getting married later, having children later, and starting careers later.   My point wasn't about marriage.  It was about people not becoming more fully formed adults earlier in life, therefore you have multiple generations of people living without real life experience.   People in their 40's can no longer help guide 20-year-olds because they are just older versions of the same people.   

My post also wasn't a reaction to the topic of college football.   It was a reaction to someone stating society is becoming less intelligent.  I am sorry but your reaction to my post is a prime example of that.   Rather than read what I wrote you decided to call me an out of touch boomer, bring up gender inequality and state the "system" of college football was fundamentally unfair.   Proving my point that adults in this country are more likely to act out of emotion than any sort of logical thinking.  

Now to the college football portion of your post.  To call the old way of doing things a free labor business model is laughable.  First and foremost, these kids, especially the very talented ones were always getting paid huge money to attend these schools.  To pretend they weren't is absolutely obtuse.   The only thing this new model does is bring it to the light of day.  Secondly, for those kids who weren't as talented, those kids you say who were getting zilch, they were paid in free education, free food, free housing, free tutoring, and free healthcare from some of the best Universities in America.  Add those things together and I think you will find that each of these kids were being paid handsomely to play college football.    How many other jobs can you find at 18 that pay you that kind of money, and ends with you having a college degree?     

Their issue wasn't not getting paid.  Their issue is not getting paid the way they wanted to.   They took all the benefits of being a student athlete, and then decided later on they wanted to be paid like a professional athlete.   It's called entitlement.  Another major issue we have in this country.  

As an aside, you seem to have a real issue with the idea of marriage.  You may want to talk to someone about that.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Reread my post.  I said, getting married later, having children later, and starting careers later.   My point wasn't about marriage.  It was about people not becoming more fully formed adults earlier in life, therefore you have multiple generations of people living without real life experience.   

This is the part you're missing - that was YOUR real life experience.  It isn't everyone's, and the trend is moving away from the traditional structures altogether, and starting later for those who stick to that path.  That DOES NOT MEAN people are not experiencing life as adults.  It means they are experiencing it different from you, or your generation, or your preferred view of how adults should behave.  That is why you sound ancient.

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

As an aside, you seem to have a real issue with the idea of marriage.  You may want to talk to someone about that.

Lol sure.  I have a great marriage.  I can also 100% understand why someone would decide not to get married at all, or to wait until they're in their 40s.  More and more people are coming to the realization that waiting can be extremely beneficial for many REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE reasons.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is the part you're missing - that was YOUR real life experience.  It isn't everyone's, and the trend is moving away from the traditional structures altogether, and starting later for those who stick to that path.  That DOES NOT MEAN people are not experiencing life as adults.  It means they are experiencing it different from you, or your generation, or your preferred view of how adults should behave.  That is why you sound ancient.

It is not just my opinion man.   There is an accepted norm of what qualifies as an adult in this country.  If you show me a 30-40 year old, unmarried, working a part time job, still doing the same things they were doing in their 20's, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would call that person an adult.  Furthermore, I think it would be harder for you to find someone willing to take life advice from that person.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It is not just my opinion man.   There is an accepted norm of what qualifies as an adult in this country.  If you show me a 30-40 year old, unmarried, working a part time job, still doing the same things they were doing in their 20's, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would call that person an adult.  Furthermore, I think it would be harder for you to find someone willing to take life advice from that person.  

Have they experienced loss?  Have they traveled?  Have they been in therapy?  Have they overcome addiction or disabilities?  There are plenty of other deep life experiences beyond your "accepted norm."  What I’ve seen as the  “norm” is that people who get married and have kids in their early 20s freak the eff out in their 40s and 50s when it dawns on them that they have missed out on a world of real life experiences.  And that’s why the divorce rate is so high.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

6 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Kids go from high school to college to NFL. Replace college with a minor league system instead of college. I understand how hockey works. In Canada they are also drafted at 18 and start playing major junior at 16. Younger even if they get exceptional status.

Only problem is the TV revenue for the big colleges and entertainment industry... They will fight it big time... until interest wanes gonna professional college football will exist.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Have they experienced loss?  Have they traveled?  Have they been in therapy?  Have they overcome addiction or disabilities?  There are plenty of other deep life experiences beyond your "accepted norm."  What I’ve seen as the  “norm” is that people who get married and have kids in their early 20s freak the eff out in their 40s and 50s when it dawns on them that they have missed out on a world of real life experiences.  And that’s why the divorce rate is so high.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  But you're all over the place in what constitutes real life experience.   You go from experiencing loss and traveling, which is so amazingly common to human beings to overcoming addiction and disabilities which is very select.   And again, you're focusing on my point about marriage.   

Simply put a 30–40-year-old who is still living like a 20-year-old cannot teach younger people about how to handle their careers, their children, their marriages, their homeownership etc.   You're going way outside the original point to try and prove yours.   

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  But you're all over the place in what constitutes real life experience.   You go from experiencing loss and traveling, which is so amazingly common to human beings to overcoming addiction and disabilities which is very select.   And again, you're focusing on my point about marriage.   

Simply put a 30–40-year-old who is still living like a 20-year-old cannot teach younger people about how to handle their careers, their children, their marriages, their homeownership etc.   You're going way outside the original point to try and prove yours.   

Wisdom is the product of adversity and introspection.  There is no real age floor for it.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

5 hours ago, gjv said:

I believe this ruling will have a profound impact on the NFL Draft. College players will be in a position to select the team they want to play for. The NFL will be challenged to come up with a solution if they want to continue the current draft system.

Its collectively bargained.  Not imposed by controlling party.  There will a college football players playoff union.  Those teams involved in the playoff will have seperate rules than other divisions of football and college athletics.  This will also be the exit for any school not wanting to meet the minimums required in payroll and pay.  Inevitable with the Billions of dollars being made off individuals playing the sport not being able to profit too.  

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't know these lawsuits were pending.  Silly me.   This will change college sports forever.   It will suck the profit out of lots of programs, and without the profits, the programs will struggle. 

Just to get some sense of what this will mean:   Imagine if Josh Allen, after his breakout season at Wyoming, could have "entered the portal" (in other words, become a free agent).   Some school like Alabama or Southern Cal would have offered him a couple million dollars to transfer.  

Get ready for bachelor’s degrees that will cost 200k. 

Colleges now cant hide behind the bag man.  Collective bargaining is long overdue.  Contracts between player and University will also limit mobility of players through portal. Largest deals will be multi year deals ect.  Solves most of the current issues.