Bills visit with Olympic Gold Medalist Gable Steveson

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He'd also play with ungodly leverage and tackle like nobody's business.  Honestly, I've heard crazier things.  He's a ridiculous athlete in a sport that translates quite a bit to football.

It's incredibly intriguing. He'd have to dedicate himself to the game and the nuances of the position and would undoubtedly be a multi-year project.

But as you said, Wrestling translates well into Football, especially Defensive Tackle. And this isn't just *some* wrestler - this is THE Heavyweight Wrestler in the United States - maybe the world. The NFL, UFC, and WWE all came calling for him with no experience in any form of either. That speaks to the kind of athlete he is.

These kind of projects rarely yield success. But if we're going to try one, Steveson is the kind of Premier athlete I'd take a chance on.

9 minutes ago, wppete said:

Lets hope so. Chris Hogan was a productive player and clutch. 

He wasn't signed by us. It was just a Rookie Minicamp tryout. LB Joe Andreeseen from UB was the only player from the tryouts to get a contract.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, Simon said:

If 265 is his wrestling weight, I'd guess a couple good sandwiches would get him to 290.

Even 265 is pretty big nowadays for edge. Average weight for that position is coming down 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Even 265 is pretty big nowadays for edge. Average weight for that position is coming down 

I don't see him as an Edge. His natural gifts are more suited for Defensive Tackle. Which is why 265 is a little light. But it wouldn't take much to put a little on for 3 Tech.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, you guys are right. If he bulks up to 290 and doesn’t lose much, 6’1” 290 is basically Ed Oliver/Aaron Donald size. He’d be most effective with his wrestling background inside at DT. How effective in a sport he’s never played? That’s anyone’s guess. 

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

McDermott: You know Gable, I wrestled in High School and College. 

Steveson: Oh yeah? That's cool. I was a 2-Time Heavyweight Champion of the entire NCAA and transferred that into a Gold Medal at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. How'd you do?

McDermott: I, uh..... I like Wrestling.

Steveson: Yeah, I hear you like your Football players with a Wrestling background and try them out on the mat. Want to roll around a bit?

McDermott: You know... I would. But my back is really acting up today.

Steveson: Some other time then?

McDermott: Yeah...

LOL. Thank you. I truly did laugh out loud.

37 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Marketing for what purpose? Sell more night practice training camp tickets to wrestling fans? 

Buy tickets and come to the Bills stadium where even your dreams could come true. No football experience is needed, we hire with any background. Even you, yes YOU! Bills fans. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Milanos Milano said:

Buy tickets and come to the Bills stadium where even your dreams could come true. No football experience is needed, we hire with any background. Even you, yes YOU! Bills fans. 

Yeah, there's definitely no difference between an Olympic Gold Medal Winning, 2 Time NCAA Heavyweight National Champion Wrestler, to literally any Bills fan 🙄

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 5/16/2024 at 2:16 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

The Eagles were able to turn one of these type of guys into a high end Left Tackle for them.

Personally, I think it's progressive and smart to look at pure athletes from other sports transitioning to Football. There's no risk and you never know what you'll find. Smart teams leave no stone unturned. 

I’m saying get Clayton on the 53, play him in those dreadful Jumbo packages they’re addicted to, and have him declare as an eligible receiver. Let’s see how many defenders he can flatten.