Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

1 minute ago, muppy said:

Bring him back to his illustrious "mapletron" moniker self right? He was very fun to watch at Notre Dame too.

Past laurels as well all mean basically squat. He needs to show up and prove himself if he wants that NFL paycheck. Come on man! Don't blow this. You'd be playing with Josh freaking Allen. Get yer **** together!

Well… he wouldn’t be the first reclamation project to arrive and thrive in Buffalo. It would be nice, and fun to witness. 

But if he falls flat, he’ll be on a much longer list of players with unrealized potential who came here and didn’t make it, than of those that did. Just in this year’s WR room alone, in fact. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

DL talent has alot to do with that.  Chris Jones is an allpro, probably best DT in football.  Take him out and see if everyone calls Spags a genius

I was at the Bill's Chiefs game in Kansas City 2 years ago that we won regular season 

And all of the Chiefs fans were complaining about spags and wishing they had Leslie Frazier 

Swear to God

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This idea that Allen picked Dorsey is insane. If the GM and Coach can't figure out who the OC should be, they should be out on the street tomorrow. As far as I can tell from McDermott and his apologists, every success of the Bills flows from his great talent, and all of the problems are someone elses fault. 

I thought it was still humor. Allen picked Dorsey
Regardless. Dorsey , regardless of stats was an error imo

Edited by 3rdand12

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chris heff said:

The Bills WRs were mediocre from about the middle of the 2022 season, including Diggs. I’ve said this before, there were games that I wondered out loud if we actually had any WRs. Watching on television makes it impossible to see what is going on down field, WRs seemed to disappear. That group needed to be blown up. Now there are some young guys, some vets, some guys that were in bad situations on bad teams. Who knows who might become available over the summer. Let’s relax and see what happens.

As Macho said, ooooooh yeah the creme always rises to the top

Overcome Randy Savage GIF

Edited by TBBills Fan

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The consistent defensive struggles in the playoffs haven't been due to injuries each year.

Nor has it always been 3, 4, 5 key players that they were missing.

The common theme is the HC.   His defense's just haven't confused or slowed down opponents in the playoffs.

7 of their 10 Allen-era playoff games were marked by very poor defense.   

Right.  As if Von Millers injury hasn’t thrown a massive monkey wrench into our defense for the last 2 playoff runs.  As if missing 2 starting corners doesn’t matter.  As if missing all of our starting LBers hasn’t mattered.  As if our best two DTs being injured vs Cinci didn’t have an effect on our D (plus von miller).  

all this talk about us not surrounding Josh with enough weapons every year (and I agree, I wish we had invested more on O)…..we can’t get it done because we don’t have enough talent on O…..yet McD is supposed to stop Mahomes and Burrow in the playoffs with even lesser talent (due to injury) than Josh has on O?  If we had added hopkins last offseason and he and Kincaid would’ve gotten injured, that would’ve certainly been one of the factors that led to our season ending.  That’s what’s happened to our D.  Every season, our biggest investments and key players have been getting injured and missing the playoffs.  I’d love to see KC win the SB without Chris Jones. If he had torn his acl late in 2022, they wouldn’t have won the last two SBs. No one could convince me otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I was at the Bill's Chiefs game in Kansas City 2 years ago that we won regular season 

And all of the Chiefs fans were complaining about spags and wishing they had Leslie Frazier 

Swear to God

Was that the rain delay game?  Or was that 3 years ago?

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Swear to God

One thing Spags and Ried do in the playoffs is trust their players. McDermott sometimes has trouble trusting his players to make a play, and he probably has good reason for that. 

Spags and Reid let their guys play. They don’t get tight and play scared.

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

At what point do you actually point the finger at players?

2019: Neal drops an easy pick in Hou territory.  Neal later misses a huge sack, we had Watson with 2 guys in backfield

2020: Colts was a bad defensive effort.  Players/coaches alike.  Ravens, I thought we had a good gameplan.  Chiefs, another ok gameplan but our front 4 got totally manhandled

2021: dominate Pats.  Missing our best player/all pro Tre killed us against a lethal offense.  Our pass rush never showed up, Edmunds looked lost on the field.  Milano/Levi blow a coverage during "13 seconds", allowing Kelce to get into FG range

2022: Cincys backup IOL just flat out bullied our DTs.  3-4 key injuries (Daquan, Hyde, Poyer, Tre hobbled).  Frazier scheme played scared too

2023: Played Steelers well.  Again DL folded, when we needed them to step up.  4-5 key injuries, Benford, Lame Rasul, Bernard, Milano, Daquan/Von still battling at far less than 100%

So yeah.  Our DL has choked against KC, Cincy, KC again.  Too many injuries in 2023 especially, can't stop a Mahomes led offense with the MASH unit we fielded.

Coach isn't the reason IMO.  If you think we are going to somehow create confusion and blitz Mahomes/etc, nobody wins that way. They have success bc their front 4 causes enough disruption and have a solid back 7.  Our front 4 has got blown off the ball by the wind it seems, past few playoff losses

I think coaching is the reason.........more specifically an inability to adjust to opponents.

You gotta' put players in position to succeed.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Right.  As if Von Millers injury hasn’t thrown a massive monkey wrench into our defense for the last 2 playoff runs.  As if missing 2 starting corners doesn’t matter.  As if missing all of our starting LBers hasn’t mattered.  As if our best two DTs being injured vs Cinci didn’t have an effect on our D (plus von miller).  

all this talk about us not surrounding Josh with enough weapons every year (and I agree, I wish we had invested more on O)…..we can’t get it done because we don’t have enough talent on O…..yet McD is supposed to stop Mahomes and Burrow in the playoffs with even lesser talent (due to injury) than Josh has on O?  If we had added hopkins last offseason and he and Kincaid would’ve gotten injured, that would’ve certainly been one of the factors that led to our season ending.  That’s what’s happened to our D.  Every season, our biggest investments and key players have been getting injured and missing the playoffs.  I’d love to see KC win the SB without Chris Jones. If he had torn his acl late in 2022, they wouldn’t have won the last two SBs. No one could convince me otherwise. 

Was that the rain delay game?  Or was that 3 years ago?

There was no delay in my game so that must have been 3

But to be fair I also was slightly intoxicated... And Kansas City fans gave me a lot of barbecue and booze 

So maybe there was a delay

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Swear to God

Lol.  Yes I can believe that.

Coaching is part of it, their GM/scouting has outperformed ours recently.  Especially in the draft, on the defensive side of ball.  And some key hits on offense.

Bishop and Carter need to be hits for us this year, Solomon would be a nice bonus. At some point, we need to find an elite player for front 4 and secondary.  Hopefully we see Groot/Ed grow into that level, and someone from the secondary.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The defensive struggles didn't start after they got Von Miller.    They'd been slapped around in the playoffs defensively by the Texans, Colts and the Chiefs twice by that time.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think coaching is the reason.........more specifically an inability to adjust to opponents.

You gotta' put players in position to succeed.

I don't think our coaching has been 'superior' by any means, but good enough IMO.

Bengals game was a complete letdown players and coaches.

Our front 4 is in position by default.  Our DL has not elevate their game/let alone play to their standard for multiple playoff losses.  

I'm more concerned with that being a "Beane" issue.  Investing resources, draft and FA alike.  Good philosophy, but poor investment choices.  Could easily run down a big list of failed options.  That's been our achilles heel, IMO.  He's done a solid job in other aspects, and obviously nailed the most important position....

But if we had 1 all pro on DL and back 7, healthy throughout playoffs, our coaches would look like geniuses.  Injuries has played into that of course.  

As much as many like to point to WR rooms, for SB teams.  They conveniently leave out that almost every SB team has an elite DL or secondary.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think the bills will be fine with the wr group they have but this season feels much like the 2019 season setting up for a splash at the position next year. I do think this group has much more depth than we every have had 

2019 WR/TE group:

John brown (averaged 586 yards per season prior)

Cole Beasley (averaged 467 yards per season prior)

Mckenzie (averaged 98 yards per season prior)

knox (Rookie)

duke williams (Rookie)

robert foster (541 yards rookie season)

2020:

diggs (averaged  924 for yards per season prior)

Beasley (averaged 506 for yards per season prior)

brown (averaged  715 for yards per season prior)

mckenzie (averaged 154 for yards per season prior)

davis (Rookie)

knox (388 yards rookie season)

2024:

samuel (averaged  483 for yards per season prior)

shakir (averaged 386 for yards per season prior)

kincaid (673 rookie season)

knox (averaged  393 for yards per season prior)

coleman (Rookie)

MVS (averaged 525 for yards per season prior)

claypool (averaged 376 for yards per season prior)

Hollins (averaged 281 for yards per season prior)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Never said Diggs wasn’t a talent, but his game did fall off a bit last part of last season, had lots of drops by his own standards, as I said previously, 4 TDs in his post season career thus far, even with Allen forcing passes to him all season long.  

Imo Davis will not be missed, he has a chronic ankle injury, that negatively effected his availability and performance annually, I am not worried about our receiver corp this year, you can bet the ball is going to be spread around considerably more without Diggs, which will have the effect of the defenses we face not being nearly as certain where the pass is going to go.  

Also consider that with Diggs in his prime the team didn’t get it done, ya can’t endlessly rinse and repeat, ya gotta make changes at some point, and that is exactly what is happening in front of us, change upsets folk, we like the myth of consistency…, 

Not mad about moving on from Diggs, except we didn't really do so. We replaced Davis with Keon and Diggs with....  no one.

Hoping Josh can raise the level of others around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There was no delay in my game so that must have been 3

But to be fair I also was slightly intoxicated... And Kansas City fans gave me a lot of barbecue and booze 

So maybe there was a delay

lol, yeah it was 2021 that had the delay.  We had our way with them, partly because Chris Jones didn’t play due to injury.  

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Swear to God

They only been watching football for about 6 years now

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I agree we aren't far apart in this discussion.

Key difference, I think our offense is sufficient (with replacements we've made/Brady taking over with his system).  Going to be a short/intermediate attack with occasional deep shots and a solid run game.  Bigger/more reliable targets in RZ too. I think we can expect an improved RZ efficiency. And to be honest, that's the biggest difference between a 5-10 offense and a top ranked group.  Leaving too many points on the field.

The other main difference is "defense expectations".  We've had too many key injuries, in 2021-2023, to overcome.  I think if we can be more healthy, which is luck for any team each year, that's the first hurdle.  McD defense overachieved vs KC playoff game, believe it or not.  Can't run his scheme with 5th string LBs, a lame Von, and a beat up secondary.

S/T has also been a bottom performing unit, finding a way to blunder 2 of our last 3 playoff games.  

We have a lot of areas to "clean up".  But we have the personell and coaching necessary, stay healthy and not choke basically

😂😂 Overachieved vs KC in the playoffs he says

KC got 21 first downs on 47 total plays run. That's an astonishing 45% of their plays going for a first down. They scored 27 points in 47 plays...which means they averaged well over a half a point PER PLAY RUN

That is astonishingly bad defense. There is no way around it

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Not mad about moving on from Diggs, except we didn't really do so. We replaced Davis with Keon and Diggs with....  no one.

Hoping Josh can raise the level of others around him. 

But they got Curtis Samuel to replace Cole Beasley!

• Haha (+1) 1