RIP AJ Smith

Posted (edited)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/atlanta-falcons/news/atlanta-falcons-assistant-gm-passing-father-chargers-aj-smith/0fc26bbc75c1d162265c3ec6

I met him once at the gate at St. Francis High when his son Kyle (now assistant GM in Atlanta) was playing HS football.  He showed me his AFC Championship ring.  

The reason I was at the gate was I used to go to all the Bills home games and my friend whose house I'd stay at was a teacher at St. Francis and enlisted me to work the gate with him at some of the Red Raiders home games.  After AJ left to be GM in San Diego my friend had a minor heart attack and AJ heard about it & sent him a get well card from SD.  Classy guy.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 4

Seemed like a qualified guy. Stood firm and still took Eli despite the threats not to take him. Fired Schottenheimer after 14-2 season and early playoff exit. Still wasn't good enough to get past Pats and Steelers great teams even with Rivers and Tomlinson in their prime.

ALLRIGHT MEN OVER 45 LIKE MYSELF... GET TESTED.

Sure it is an uncomfortable subject, but don't put it off. Get your prostate checked out and give yourself a fighting chance.

RIP A.J. Smith

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

ALLRIGHT MEN OVER 45 LIKE MYSELF... GET TESTED.

Sure it is an uncomfortable subject, but don't put it off. Get your prostate checked out and give yourself a fighting chance.

RIP A.J. Smith

It's sad, but the man was 75. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else. There are no good endings.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's sad, but the man was 75. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else. There are no good endings.

Someone I worked with died of prostate cancer at 35. Chadwick Boseman died at 43 of colon cancer. It's a simple testing procedure.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/atlanta-falcons/news/atlanta-falcons-assistant-gm-passing-father-chargers-aj-smith/0fc26bbc75c1d162265c3ec6

I met him once at the gate at St. Francis High when his son Kyle (now assistant GM in Atlanta) was playing HS football.  He showed me his AFC Championship ring.  

The reason I was at the gate was I used to go to all the Bills home games and my friend whose house I'd stay at was a teacher at St. Francis and enlisted me to work the gate with him at some of the Red Raiders home games.  After AJ left to be GM in San Diego my friend had a minor heart attack and AJ heard about it & sent him a get well card from SD.  Classy guy.  

Another St Francis football alum.  He joins the list of Tom Telesco, Brian Dabol, Luke Tasker

I played at St Francis.

it's a simple test. Just get the blood test at your yearly or semi-yearly physical.  My friend had nodymptoms, butte blood test showed a sky-high PSA level.  Turns out hr dad stage 4. He had the robotic surgery at Roswell and is now cancer free for 7 yeas.

11 minutes ago, Wacka said:

it's a simple test. Just get the blood test at your yearly or semi-yearly physical.  My friend had nodymptoms, butte blood test showed a sky-high PSA level.  Turns out hr dad stage 4. He had the robotic surgery at Roswell and is now cancer free for 7 yeas.

Agreed.  Obviously key is to catch it early.

reality is for prostate cancer an incredibly high percent of males will end up with prostate cancer and most will die of something else before the Prostate cancer gets you.  In older men prostate cancer is typically a very very slow or metastasizng cancer.

Posted (edited)

when he was in San Diego we shared the same dentist (Chargers team dentist) Every time I went I would always look at the sign in list to see if Frank Reich might be there. I always hoped I would see him 🙂

But alas I never saw Franks name but AJ Smith was there one time. Amongst other players who would sit in the waiting room GLUED to their I-phones. Like don't bother me. And I never did  lol. Anyway

When I went back to see the dentist I made mention of noticing it. He knew from previous occasions I was a Bills fan. He told me something funny. He said that AJ Smith was a guy who always wore Italian leather loafers with no socks. Always.  I wonder if that was just a San Diego thing  or if he wore them in Buffalo too.

So AJ Smith had expensive taste in shoes lol Kind of a silly memory but hearing of his passing is sad. **** CANCER

Edited by muppy