Chiefs Bills Playoff Replay / Bass Kicking

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bodork says hi.

I agree. He sucked at it too. But sucking at holding seems more the exception than the rule. Team makes too big of a deal about getting the perfect hold for Bass. If Bass needs to be catered to that much, and, as a professional kicker can’t figure out how to fix his kicks drifting, then he needs to be replaced. And, for the record, I think he deserves another season to see if he can get right, but it also wouldn’t be a bad thing to bring in some competition for him. 

Edited by Blank Stare

3 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I think he was between 10th and 15th rank kicker each year so above average is an accurate classification.  I never understood the Bassamatic business.

I think since his rookie yr and excluding last season he was 19th, 15th, and 12th

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think since his rookie yr and excluding last season he was 19th, 15th, and 12th

I couldn't recall the exact numbers but I would say that qualifies as above average especially if you give him a small bump for weather conditions.

I'm on your side in this discussion.  I have never understood people calling him elite.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

im saying that he is replacement level

so of course they went and paid him like a top kicker

Do you think he can rebound?

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Missing a 27 yd FG to lock down a playoff game against Pitt with an amateurish duck hook and then effectively ending our season with that clueless slice on a 40 yd chip shot is not nothing. He WAS a good kicker. That’s what happens with kickers. All of a sudden they’re a liability. If you think the rest of the team can stay committed when a kicker starts blowing automatic kicks you’re just not being realistic. It also changes the strategy of an offense. When you see kickers like the ones on Balt, KC, Cinn., Miami, you realize legitimately teams can’t accept mediocrity. These spirit killers rarely rehabilitate themselves.

So, are you saying that Bass is done as a Kicker? His career is over and the Bills should get rid of him this season?

I don't know if anyone can truly get great at kicking in weather like Buffalo, but he definitely drops accuracy in the late season. That being said Justin Tucker hit two uprights in Buffalo in the playoffs so how much can you plan? I will state though if the punter/holder is the issue, get him a good holder because 5 yards on punt is not worth 3 pts on the board.

I never understood why people, especially early on said he had a really strong leg. Have we ever tried kicks with him in the upper 50s/low 60 yard range? Are his kickoffs always really that booming? I just have never really seen it with him 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And that's another problem.  How can we justify keeping a kicker that your HC has no faith in beyond 49 yards. 

I’ll take a contrarian view — when you have a good offense you should only attempt 50+ FGs if you’re at the end of a half or you need it to win or tie a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

I’ll take a contrarian view — when you have a good offense you should only attempt 50+ FGs if you’re at the end of a half or you need it to win or tie a game. 

JMO, but that view is short-sighted. If you're a SB contender there's a good chance you'll need a big kick to win or tie a post season game at some point. Since other teams have that capability I want/expect it too.

F- it. Just don't kick FG's. Punt or go for it every time. The heck do we have to lose at this point? Maybe the Bills will stumble upon a new strategy that becomes the in thing.

I don't think I've ever trusted our kickers and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

Posted (edited)

I started calling out Bass in October. Dude had a horrible season and went 2/5 in the playoffs. Meanwhile Bass is 12/17 in his playoff career, while Mahomes kicker is 32/36. Bass has been horrible 2/6 from 40-49 yards out, yet is 3/3 +50.

Quite simply Bass’ power comes from his approach, the trouble is he is too reliant on the hips and perfect hips torque. He seems to lack a powerful leg, which isn’t surprising considering he is shorter and lighter than historically great NFL kickers.

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do you think he can rebound?

So, are you saying that Bass is done as a Kicker? His career is over and the Bills should get rid of him this season?

I think he should be on a short leash and not be given the upper hand in any competition in camp. He was an average kicker last regular season and an abject failure in the postseason. You think he should be given a pass for his performance because he was good 2 years ago? Any other position he would be on the outside fighting for a spot on the roster. 

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I think he should be on a short leash and not be given the upper hand in any competition in camp. He was an average kicker last regular season and an abject failure in the postseason. You think he should be given a pass for his performance because he was good 2 years ago? Any other position he would be on the outside fighting for a spot on the roster. 

I don't think that Bass is this glaring problem on the Bills that a lot of fans are making him out to be. He's not the reason that we lost that playoff game to the Chiefs. Did anyone see our defense in that game?

Yes, field goals were an issue last season, yet I just chalk that up to Bass having a down year, it happens. That does not mean that he can't rebound from it. Bass is still very good when it comes to Extra Point attempts, which is a key statistic that everyone overlooks. Extra Points are no longer chip shots.

I'm comfortable with giving Bass more leeway, because I think he can do good for us. I'm not going to dismiss him. 

As far as Special Teams goes, I'm more concerned about Punter than I am Kicker.

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I don't think that Bass is this glaring problem on the Bills that a lot of fans are making him out to be. He's not the reason that we lost that playoff game to the Chiefs. Did anyone see our defense in that game?

Yes, field goals were an issue last season, yet I just chalk that up to Bass having a down year, it happens. That does not mean that he can't rebound from it. Bass is still very good when it comes to Extra Point attempts, which is a key statistic that everyone overlooks. Extra Points are no longer chip shots.

I'm comfortable with giving Bass more leeway, because I think he can do good for us. I'm not going to dismiss him. 

As far as Special Teams goes, I'm more concerned about Punter than I am Kicker.

He may have not been the reason we lost, but he certainly didn’t help. He also kept the Steelers in the game with a 27 yard duck hook. You can’t let kickers crush your soul and don’t get emotionally tied to a kicker. They should be automatic.

21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

yeah, there’s zero doubt in my mind we lose that game on a last-second FG by the Chiefs even if Bass makes ours.

• Agree 2

On 5/9/2024 at 10:36 AM, Charles Romes said:

Thought Beane would at least use one of the 7th rounders on a PK rather than hope for the best with Bass. When kickers hit the wall it’s usually for real. 

Agree. Something was off with Bass last year. And I don't know how easily a kicker regains his confidence.

McD seemed to lose confidence in him as the year went along - rarely going for 50+yds - and it culminated with that final kick.

They once said Haack was the best holder in the game, maybe Martin isn't (with Haack holding in 2021, Bills' kicker Tyler Bass posted a career-best 87.5 success rate on field goals and made all 51 extra-point attempts.). So I guess by bringing Haack back to compete, they're trying to address that issue.

I don't know, Bass should be a little more resilient. 

28 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

He may have not been the reason we lost, but he certainly didn’t help. He also kept the Steelers in the game with a 27 yard duck hook. You can’t let kickers crush your soul and don’t get emotionally tied to a kicker. They should be automatic.

If the Bills are going to play a plodding, ball control style of offense they absolutely need an automatic kicker. They can't chew up 8 mins of the clock and then shank a FG.  There is absolutely no room for error with that style of O and there is really no room for error in the playoffs either against quality teams. Your kicker can be the difference between losing in the division round every year to bringing home a few Lombardis. Just ask Tom Brady

• Like (+1) 1