Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They want BIG and Athletic.  Speed is good, don't get me wrong, but they are seeming to push for big, physical WR's and that is what Joe Brady had his year as OC with HIS offense down at LSU.  No more getting bullied at the LOS, and hopefully a lot more contested balls.  It also brings a greater Catch radius for Allen to hit on when his passes are slightly off.

Look I get it, Fans want splash they want exciting and we tried that with smaller, faster WR's and it didn't work.  I am excited to see this new approach to be honest, and if we get the running game going, then we are going to see somewhat less exciting 8, 10,12+ play drives that eat the clock and keep guys like Mahomes and Kelce on the bench and hopefully lead to more TD's.

It could also mean more Ints for Allen as he isn’t the most accurate passer. Separation from speedy receivers helps lower the chances of Ints. Are you really pinging your hopes on consistent contested catches? I’d 100% prefer more separation. I really only care about big and tall in the red zone. 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually in Allen's rookie season his top three targeted wide receivers were between 6'2" and 6'5".  

And the other targets included that 6'4" stiff Andre Holmes and of course Charles Clay.

Lil' Dummy McKenzie was the only smurf and he got like 30 targets. 

That strategy began in 2017 signing Holmes, trading for 6'3" Jordan Matthews and 6.5" Kelvin Benjamin.

It proved to be disastrous to their passing attack so they pivoted in 2019 and 2020 to smaller, quicker receivers.

Beane lamented the error of their ways trying to build around big catch radius guys instead of guys who got open.

i wasn't referring to the mostly forgettable first season.  'Early years', as in the period when McD called his receiving corps 'the smurfs'.

This shows the Bills are not as together as I thought. 

First there are numerous articles about drafting captains, leaders, dedicated players that can be counted on. Then they want to play social worker with a head case like Claypool. What a waste of time when that time should be spent with a dedicated player, a deserving player. Heck, we decided that Diggs was not worth the trouble and he was certain to be more productive than this guy.

Oh well, I just took a deep breathe and poured a beer.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Bill said:

First there are numerous articles about drafting captains, leaders, dedicated players that can be counted on. Then they want to play social worker with a head case like Claypool. What a waste of time when that time should be spent with a dedicated player, a deserving player. Heck, we decided that Diggs was not worth the trouble and he was certain to be more productive than this guy.

Ok come on. We can’t have it both ways. People complain that Beane only drafts team leaders and pure choir boys, then they complain when we sign people with checkered pasts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

It could also mean more Ints for Allen as he isn’t the most accurate passer. Separation from speedy receivers helps lower the chances of Ints. Are you really pinging your hopes on consistent contested catches? I’d 100% prefer more separation. I really only care about big and tall in the red zone. 

Maybe, maybe not.

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Polar opposite of the smurfs from Allen's early days.

I wonder if the moves are a counter to the league trends towards the passing game that have resulted in smaller, but faster defenders who can cover.

Fine, you want to play that way, we'll just bulldoze your arses with 2 TE and big WRs. Let Cook juke his way through while Ray Davis and Josh Allen run over and past everyone else. If the defenders try to cheat up, we've got big guys with great hands who can move the chains from the slot, RBs who can slide out and catch,  or contested catches on the outside. Maybe we'll be seeing a little more from the screen passe game than we have in recent years.

I think that's where they're going with this.

Exactly.  Remember the early 90's when we high flying, speed and finesse,but got bulldozed in the Superbowls by big, strong NFC teams?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I hope this isn't a season full of:

1st and 10 - run, gain of 2

2nd and 9 - run, no gain

3rd and 8 - penalty false start

3rd and 13 - pass for 11 yd gain

Punt

Them drought feels

3 hours ago, Logic said:

1. Get bigger and slower at WR

2. Take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more

Perfect offseason so far.

The ball in Allen’s hands with any group of receivers we’ve had for the last five years hasn’t gotten us to the promise land either,  so maybe just maybe a change is in order, that and we got some fast guys as well, so think positive, that’s what I choose to do, this time it may all come together 

😁👍🍸🚬

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Or it shows they are taking a chance on a talent and can cut him at anytime they desire if they don’t like what they see.

Your drama is amusing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Who were all these separators last season when Allen had an MVP worthy season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

“then we are going to see somewhat less exciting 8, 10,12+ play drives that eat the clock”

Isn’t this the McDermott defensive philosophy? Make the offense go on long drives until they make a mistake?

It's what Mahomes said he had to get used to running with defenses going to 2 high shells.  It's what Brady was pretty good at.

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Probably the most succinct and accurate statement right here! 

Has been.  Not sure if "is", is the correct team now.  But if so, we cut him no problem.