The Vikings allegedly tried hard to trade up to #3

Virgil

I don't think MIN would have taken Penix from the intel I heard but they were sufficiently comfortable with Penix to not be willing to pay a steep price for McCarthy. In the end of course they did trade up for McCarthy. The Jets did the old one pick double bluff. 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t shocking. McCarthy isn’t very good. He was the guy, this year, that everyone used as the smokescreen. He was the guy that people kept hearing “would go higher than expected” and “possibly top 3.” In the end he was the 5th QB drafted.

People believed that the Pats might take him at 3 and that the Vikings, Giants and even Chargers, might trade up for him. In the end the Vikings offered 3 firsts for Maye over just taking McCarthy. The Patriots turned down 3 firsts and just took Maye. The Charger (wisely) stayed put, selected Alt, and kept Herbert. The Giants took the stud receiver. The Vikings waited and eventually got McCarthy. I wonder though if they would have actually taken Penix instead had he been there at 11? 

Agree about McCarthy. Watched a few of his games and really couldn't shake the Mac Jones vibe. I think he's at best a game manager that won't throw the team on his back and carry them to wins, but isn't going to set the world on fire.

Of course, unlike Mac, McCarthy falls into about the perfect situation for a rookie QB to grow and develop. As opposed to Jones who ended up with an older defensive minded coach, a DC as his OC and a ST coordinator as his QB coach and severely lacked weapons to throw to...JJ gets a young offensive minded HC, possibly the best WR in the game, Addison and Hockenson to throw to. 

Whatever McCarthy is going to be in the NFL he's in the best possible place to be the best version of what he could be. If that ends up good enough remains to be seen...but there's really no excuses for him if he flames out 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t shocking. McCarthy isn’t very good. He was the guy, this year, that everyone used as the smokescreen. He was the guy that people kept hearing “would go higher than expected” and “possibly top 3.” In the end he was the 5th QB drafted.

People believed that the Pats might take him at 3 and that the Vikings, Giants and even Chargers, might trade up for him. In the end the Vikings offered 3 firsts for Maye over just taking McCarthy. The Patriots turned down 3 firsts and just took Maye. The Charger (wisely) stayed put, selected Alt, and kept Herbert. The Giants took the stud receiver. The Vikings waited and eventually got McCarthy. I wonder though if they would have actually taken Penix instead had he been there at 11? 

Maybe you're right, but I think he is good.  No one really knows.  But I remain glad the Jets didn't take him!  When Rogers breaks they can roll with Tyrod instead of McCarthy.  I'll take that!

2 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Maybe you're right, but I think he is good.  No one really knows.  But I remain glad the Jets didn't take him!  When Rogers breaks they can roll with Tyrod instead of McCarthy.  I'll take that!

I was hoping that the Jets would take him just like it was a good thing when the Pats took Mac or the Jets took Zach Wilson. You’re at least going to give him 2-3 seasons of failure before moving on.  Tyrod is a very good backup and with that Jets roster will be at least .500 if he has to play 6 games. McCarthy, imo, could have been 1-5. 

2 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He ain't like Mac Jones.  Couldn't be much different.  Jones has a noodle.  McCarthy does not.  And whether or not he is good, McCarthy got the dog in him, ex-hockey playing with a bit of nasty.  Mac Jones = tennis player.

He’s AJ McCarron

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was hoping that the Jets would take him just like it was a good thing when the Pats took Mac or the Jets took Zach Wilson. You’re at least going to give him 2-3 seasons of failure before moving on.  Tyrod is a very good backup and with that Jets roster will be at least .500 if he has to play 6 games. McCarthy, imo, could have been 1-5. 

He’s AJ McCarron

Nah man, you don't want him on the Jets.  He can win if he has a top D.  Be happy bruh.

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Your honesty and transparency are to be admired.  

I thought it was a typo at first.  

I, for one, HATE him as a player and a person, based on the 45 seconds of Youtube footage that I’ve watched!!!

• Haha (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Yeah, most surprising to me is McCarthy. I like him. Seems like a good dude with tenacity. But nothing that I saw at Michigan screamed franchise QB to me other than his grit. I have a hard time seeing his ceiling as anything higher than “game manager with occasional flashes”. Maybe O’Connell can scheme up ways to help him over achieve. 

I have no take on Maye. Never really watched him.

They replaced Kirk Cousins with a cheaper Kirk Cousins with a stupid haircut. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

sufficiently comfortable with Penix

This makes me chuckle. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They replaced Kirk Cousins with a cheaper Kirk Cousins with a stupid haircut. 

This makes me chuckle. 

Makes me chuckle too. Gotta take laughs where you can get them these days.

PS I was born in Youngstown OH. Is that the Ytown in your name?

3 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Makes me chuckle too. Gotta take laughs where you can get them these days.

PS I was born in Youngstown OH. Is that the Ytown in your name?

Ah cool! No Yorktown, NY...Lacrosse town USA

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Interesting. Always fun to speculate. And then fun to see how it actually plays out. Let’s watch Maye and McCarthy. They could have lucked into a better selection (assuming they wanted Maye). Who knows. Time will tell.

Of course, it may not solely come down to which is the better QB, but also the better situation. 

I know which situation I prefer. We’ll see. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Yeah, most surprising to me is McCarthy. I like him. Seems like a good dude with tenacity. But nothing that I saw at Michigan screamed franchise QB to me other than his grit. I have a hard time seeing his ceiling as anything higher than “game manager with occasional flashes”. Maybe O’Connell can scheme up ways to help him over achieve. 

Maye reminds me of Josh Allen.  Big, strong, tough, lots of mechanical issues.  Josh spent his first few offseasons working with Jordan Palmer, a QB whisperer and coach, who along with the coaches on the Bills staff got Josh sorted out.  It might take Maye a couple of years to blossom.  Unfortunately he's growing in a weed patch, without much help and without a solid culture of excellence.  The Pats of today have no connection with their great teams under Brady.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s AJ McCarron

OSU Kyle McCord fan. 

22 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

McCarthy is extremely smooth at the mesh point.  No other QB in this draft class comes close.

5 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Nah man, you don't want him on the Jets.  He can win if he has a top D.  Be happy bruh.

Agree to disagree I guess

I don’t think that he’s very good. He won a lot on a team that almost broke the record for most drafted players in a single draft. They had 13 guys selected (UGA has the record at 15). The team was loaded. They won with him WAY more than because of him. In the right situation, maybe he becomes an effective game manager (like Brock Purdy). Personally, I think that he was overdrafted as an over correction to Purdy falling to last. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I have watched every college game that McCarthy has played.  He has very strong arm and can make all the short and intermediate throws.  He has great zip on passes to the middle of the field.  He lacks accuracy on the deep ball, but he easily has the arm strength to get it down the field.  He also has some Josh Allen in him in that he can scramble and then has the arm strength to make some crazy throws across his body or sling it to a guy who has gotten open downfield on a scramble drill.  He's also a tough kid who isn't afraid of contact and is willing to gut it out with injuries (also similar to Josh).

McCarthy also has the clutch gene and that's why he's a national champion.  He made a lot of key throws on third and fourth down late in close games to beat Ohio State and Alabama.  His worst performance was against Bowling Green, a game that Michigan won by several scores, but came out flat early and McCarthy made some bad throws.

One thing that remains a mystery about McCarthy is his ability to control a game and get into a rhythm or tempo with the passing game.  Michigan's running game has been so strong during McCarthy's tenure that he hasn't really had the opportunity to display it, so it remains an unknown to me and to NFL teams.

One last comment about McCarthy is that he's extremely coachable and 100% a team guy.  He never complained about Michigan's offense and the lack of opportunities to throw the ball.  He was fully committed to winning, in whatever manner necessary, even at the expense of his own stats.  He often played the role of a "game manager" but that's because it was the clearest path to winning, not because he lacks the skills to do more.

So, in sum, I don't know how good he'll be at the NFL level, but I believe he has a very high floor due to his intangibles and mental makeup and also a high ceiling due to his arm talent, scrambling ability, and speed.  It was a solid pick by Minnesota.

One more thing to add - I did not see a single full game that Drake Maye played, so I have no opinion on whether he'll succeed.  Based on what I've read, I think he has a good chance to be successful, but as a Bills fan and Maye being in the AFC East, I sure hope he's not.

Edited by msw2112
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I have watched every college game that McCarthy has played.  He has very strong arm and can make all the short and intermediate throws.  He has great zip on passes to the middle of the field.  He lacks accuracy on the deep ball, but he easily has the arm strength to get it down the field.  He also has some Josh Allen in him in that he can scramble and then has the arm strength to make some crazy throws across his body or sling it to a guy who has gotten open downfield on a scramble drill.  He's also a tough kid who isn't afraid of contact and is willing to gut it out with injuries (also similar to Josh).

McCarthy also has the clutch gene and that's why he's a national champion.  He made a lot of key throws on third and fourth down late in close games to beat Ohio State and Alabama.  His worst performance was against Bowling Green, a game that Michigan won by several scores, but came out flat early and McCarthy made some bad throws.

One thing that remains a mystery about McCarthy is his ability to control a game and get into a rhythm or tempo with the passing game.  Michigan's running game has been so strong during McCarthy's tenure that he hasn't really had the opportunity to display it, so it remains an unknown to me and to NFL teams.

One last comment about McCarthy is that he's extremely coachable and 100% a team guy.  He never complained about Michigan's offense and the lack of opportunities to throw the ball.  He was fully committed to winning, in whatever manner necessary, even at the expense of his own stats.  He often played the role of a "game manager" but that's because it was the clearest path to winning, not because he lacks the skills to do more.

So, in sum, I don't know how good he'll be at the NFL level, but I believe he has a very high floor due to his intangibles and mental makeup and also a high ceiling due to his arm talent, scrambling ability, and speed.  It was a solid pick by Minnesota.

One more thing to add - I did not see a single full game that Drake Maye played, so I have no opinion on whether he'll succeed.  Based on what I've read, I think he has a good chance to be successful, but as a Bills fan and Maye being in the AFC East, I sure hope he's not.

I have no idea if you are correct, but since we have the Vike’s 2nd round pick next year I hope he has a remarkably miserable rookie season. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/30/2024 at 12:14 PM, Virgil said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40052147/how-new-england-patriots-decided-qb-drake-maye-future-no-3-2024-nfl-draft

The Vikings apparently offered #11 and #23, plus their #1 in 2025.  

Now, I'm not sure if they did this before Maye fell to 3rd, or overall prior to the draft.  Without that, there's no way to know if Maye was the target

Why should I care