Jacksonville releases Zay Jones. Homecoming?

11 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Zay was pretty solid for the Jags.  Not worthy of his outrageous contract, but still solid.  2022 was a better year statistically than any year than Samuel had.  2023 he was on par for a repeat of 2022 until he was injured.  

Thanks Captain Insight.  

Ehh

Jones best season he had 82 catches - 823 yards - 5 TDs - 13 drops - 68% catch rate 

CD best season he had 77 catches - 851 yards - 3 TD - 5 drops - 79% catch rate

They are basically the same guy, just different type. High end #3 passing targets who can be serviceable #2 passing targets for a season. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Solid, but a lot of drops.  I think Beane is over that. He moved on from Diggs and Davis who both had drop issues last year, and brought in Coleman who has excellent hands.

He had one year where he had issues with drops from what I see.  Bills won’t sign him regardless, but to say he wouldn’t improve the WR room is silly.  

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

2 drops in 2020

2 drops in 2021

13 drops in 2022 with an expanded role. 

1 drop in 2023 (short season)

At 29, we are looking at WR4 and I’d rather let Hollis/Shorter/Hamler compete for it. 

I like Hamler a lot. That was a very sneaky signing

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ehh

Jones best season he had 82 catches - 823 yards - 5 TDs - 13 drops - 68% catch rate 

CD best season he had 77 catches - 851 yards - 3 TD - 5 drops - 79% catch rate

Jones best season was 2023 CS was 2020…something to consider🤷‍♂️ 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t want anyone taking snaps from Shakir or Coleman. How many WRs do people think will get meaningful snaps and targets?

Agreed. I respect Jones for the career he carved out, but what skill set does he bring that we don’t already have?

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He had one year where he had issues with drops from what I see.  Bills won’t sign him regardless, but to say he wouldn’t improve the WR room is silly.  

I think he would be a WR 3 or 4 here.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If healthy, he could be the new Isaiah McKenzie #2 slot. 

I think he will definitely have a shot to be the number 3 after Coleman and Samuel but yeah, you're right about the McKenzie roll but I think he is better than McKenzie 

7 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Zay was pretty solid for the Jags.  Not worthy of his outrageous contract, but still solid.  2022 was a better year statistically than any year than Samuel had.  2023 he was on par for a repeat of 2022 until he was injured.  

Thanks Captain Insight.  

Last year he averaged 3 catches a game for 35 yards. For context, everyone's favorite, Isaiah Mckenzie, average 2.8 catches for 28 yards per game in 2022. Is that "solid" or replacement level? I'd lean towards the latter. Jacksonville also made a very concerted effort to replace him this year.

We need to raise the bar here

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

Jones best season was 2023 CS was 2020…something to consider🤷‍♂️ 

I get it. Both guys are serviceable #2 receiving options who are probably best as a #3 option at this point in their careers. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

WR3 over who?

Yea I’m definitely not benching Shakir for Jones. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

He left while under McDermott (2019) and went to the Raiders. Not a lot of winning there either. Seems like he would hard pass on the Bills.

He didn't leave, he got traded away because he wasn't good

No Thank You Reaction GIF

I think you can get similar production to what you'd expect from Jones with cheaper players that are already on the roster. 

If we need someone to jump out of a window naked though then he's our guy. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

WR3 over who?

Not necessarily over anyone. But he would be an outside receiver while Shakir and Samuel both take a lot of slot targets. And Samuel probably has the gadget and screen play targets too.

But I'm not advocating for Zay Jones. I don't really want to sign him.