The "who I would've drafted instead" re-draft, 2024 edition. Are you smarter than the GM?

Logic

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

Do you need folks who can help the old fashioned way?  I'm looking for a paying gig

19 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

The username changes but the poor takes didn't.  Glad to see you're still kicking.

Poor  takes?  I’m the voice of experience and wisdom!

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

I agree with your concept here except that you have access to a large chunk of data online from people who are educated so you can kind find consensus among "experts" which is what most do who complain.   My only point is you have access to more than just a tiny fraction but you don't have conversations, background, medical, ex coach conversations etc.    You do have all tape, measurables' etc.  When Beane chooses someone other than I expect, for instance Coleman when many thought he was much further down, my reaction is to ask myself what information did Beane and his staff have to make that choice over the others instead of "OMG how dumb".  People think very highly of their internet research.

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

I agree with your concept here except that you have access to a large chunk of data online from people who are educated so you can kind find consensus among "experts" which is what most do who complain.   My only point is you have access to more than just a tiny fraction but you don't have conversations, background, medical, ex coach conversations etc.    You do have all tape, measurables' etc.  When Beane chooses someone other than I expect, for instance Coleman when many thought he was much further down, my reaction is to ask myself what information did Beane and his staff have to make that choice over the others instead of "OMG how dumb".  People think very highly of their internet research.

You’ve hit on what I think is an important point.  The immeasurables.  Beane really went after guys with leadership qualities this year as an example.

Thanks to all the posters so far who took this thread in the spirit of fun in which it was intended and contributed your alternate draft.

Fascinating to read everyone's preferences.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks to all the posters so far who took this thread in the spirit of fun in which it was intended and contributed your alternate draft.

I applaud your idea.  I just wouldn’t have a clue because I don’t follow college football 

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You’ve hit on what I think is an important point.  The immeasurables.  Beane really went after guys with leadership qualities this year as an example.

I think one reason they focused on leadership and character so much in this draft is not because they expect these guys to come in and be instant leaders.  But because they lost so much leadership this year, there's not nearly as much left in the locker room to take a guy that might be more of a head case and steer him in the right direction.  If the locker room leadership has thinned out, better to take guys that you know will put in the work themselves and take responsibilities themselves.  Once you've built that up again you have a better chance of channeling somebody that might be more of a hot head.

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

My alt-draft was mainly just remembering the names I was jocking in the Draft Day threads. There's a few other names I was on that I might drop in a Cooper Dejean re-do?

I'm not a draftnik, so for this exercise, I went with picks from Dane Brugler from the Athletic.  I always kept the same position the Bills took, but picked the top guy at that position from Brugler's Beast article

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia (went pick 34 to Chargers)
Pick 60: S Jaden Hicks, Washington State (went pick 133 to Chiefs (incidentally with the pick they got from the Bills))
Pick 95: DT Brandon Dorlus, Oregon (went pick 109 to Falcons)
Pick 128: RB Braelon Allen, Wisconsin (went pick 134 to Jets)
Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (Bills took the same guy)
Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington (Bills took the same guy)
Pick 168: DE Gabriel Murphy, UCLA (undrafted)
Pick 204: T Nathan Thomas, Louisana (went pick 233 to Dallas)
Pick 219: CB Myles Harden, South Dakota (went pick 227 to Browns)
Pick 221: G KT Leveston, Kansas State (went pick 254 to Rams)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Logic said:

Who I would've picked instead:

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah (same as Bills)

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

I like this exercise, though I agree with @NewEra that correct way to do it is immediately after each pick, so you don't have extra info.

This is also why I actually have hard time believing you and both posters below. If you wanted to double dip, are you sure that you wouldn't take Franklin at 60? At that time, it seemed like a surprise that he was still there and double dip crowd (me included) would have hard time not to take him.

Anyway, I can't participate fully since I don't follow college football, but what I would do based on my very limited knowledge:

Pick 33: Troy Franklin (I would pick Legette at 32)

Pick 60: Troy Franklin 

Pick 95: BPA at CB/S/DL/OL, so probably T.J. Tampa, Jaden Hicks or Brandon Dorlus

18 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Pick 33: WR Adonai Mitchell

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin

8 hours ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

See above, are you guys sure you wouldn't actually pick Franklin in the 2nd?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I'm not a draftnik, so for this exercise, I went with picks from Dane Brugler from the Athletic.  I always kept the same position the Bills took, but picked the top guy at that position from Brugler's Beast article

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia (went pick 34 to Chargers)
Pick 60: S Jaden Hicks, Washington State (went pick 133 to Chiefs (incidentally with the pick they got from the Bills))
Pick 95: DT Brandon Dorlus, Oregon (went pick 109 to Falcons)
Pick 128: RB Braelon Allen, Wisconsin (went pick 134 to Jets)
Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (Bills took the same guy)
Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington (Bills took the same guy)
Pick 168: DE Gabriel Murphy, UCLA (undrafted)
Pick 204: T Nathan Thomas, Louisana (went pick 233 to Dallas)
Pick 219: CB Myles Harden, South Dakota (went pick 227 to Browns)
Pick 221: G KT Leveston, Kansas State (went pick 254 to Rams)

Now that's interesting. Taking the same positions but going with Brugler's BPAs instead. Awesome. Love it.

7 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I like this exercise, though I agree with @NewEra that correct way to do it is immediately after each pick, so you don't have extra info.

This is also why I actually have hard time believing you and both posters below. If you wanted to double dip, are you sure that you wouldn't take Franklin at 60? At that time, it seemed like a surprise that he was still there and double dip crowd (me included) would have hard time not to take him.

Anyway, I can't participate fully since I don't follow college football, but what I would do based on my very limited knowledge:

Pick 33: Troy Franklin (I would pick Legette at 32)

Pick 60: Troy Franklin 

Pick 95: BPA at CB/S/DL/OL, so probably T.J. Tampa, Jaden Hicks or Brandon Dorlus

See above, are you guys sure you wouldn't actually pick Franklin in the 2nd?

Totally fair point.

In my original (pre-edit) version of this post, I mentioned within the first couple paragraphs that it was an inherently unfair exercise, because we have knowledge of where players ultimately wound up getting drafted which we can use to formulate the "ideal" draft board. Beane, of course, did not have this information, or his draft my have gone differently.

I also agree that in future years, it makes more sense to do it right after each pick. I just wonder if, in the chaos of the actual draft still being in progress, anyone would take the time to play along.

And you're right, by the way. I probably WOULD have picked Franklin at 60. I was much higher on him than NFL GMs were (as were many other people, it seems). I guess that's why I'm just a message board goofball and not an NFL GM.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d recommend starting the game while the draft is going on and make your picks in real time so you don’t have the benefit of knowing which positions/players you can wait on due to players slipping.  

Meh I think it's fair as is. The GMs have access to info that we don't. The league thinks Franklin is not a top 100 prospect for whatever reason. GMs probably know that that's how the league feels about him, unless one team is way outside the consensus. So having the true draft board after the fact equalizes things a bit.

Good exercise @Logic. Bump the thread in two years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

you should be able to undo a trade down, because that's some lame ass *****, especially letting KC go ahead. Might as well hold the door for them and bow

pathetic, he went to business school have some confidence

Hey genius.. Let’s see your list, with all that confidence.

I’ll make sure and save it and we can come back to it in a couple of years.. Should be a resume builder for you, since you’re an NFL caliber GM. C’mon, put your money where your mouth is..

22 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Covid time must have been tough for you to witness😒

My honest sympathy