Logic's Buffalo Bills Draft Review -- The more things change, the more they stay the same

Logic

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

There are ppl on this forum that live in La La land that thought trading into the top 10 to draft Nabers or Odunze was a realistic possibility and b/c we didn’t do that this draft was a fail.  Coleman is fine piece to add. I think the receiver corps is good.  Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid and Knox- it’s a well rounded group.  Likely will get some depth contribution from Hollins, Hamler,  Shorter.  

Coleman, Shakir, Samuel is about as deep as this WR corps goes. And that's assuming Coleman winds up being a good pro. Hollins a replacement level guy. Shorter has shown nothing on offense in this league. 

Yes, we can HOPE that Shorter or Hamler or Shavers develop into viable players, but hope is not a strategy. 

So that's three guys. That's a three-deep WR corps. That is....not very encouraging.

• Agree 1

Step 1 :  Sign your guys

Step 2 :  Sign Pre-Draft UFAs

Step 3 :  Draft

Step 4 :  Sign UDFAs

Step 5 :  Sign Post-Draft UFAs

Step 6 :  Go to camp

Step 7 :  Establish your 53 / Tweak if necessary.

Of course, trades can happen at any time.

I don't look at what the team will look like until ALL the steps are completed.

I like a lot, but Beane still has some work to do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Trading up for one of the big three WRs -- which Beane said he didn't try to do -- would've done it.

Failing that, as I said, collecting quantity instead of quality might've accomplished that. Giving greater priority to surrounding Allen with multiple skillsets at wide receiver. 

When I look at the Bills' WR corps as it stands right now, it's hard not to feel like it's one of the least inspiring groups in the league.

Ok, but then your original statement still doesn't make any sense to me, since trading up for big 3 was completely unrealistic. We had no chance. We would have to give up crazy amount of draft capital to trade with Falcons and they'd probably still refuse since they wanted Penix.

So I think your statement was unrealistic and very unfair to Beane.

As for the rest, I agree that we definitely could have tried other way and draft 2 WRs in early rounds. I'd probably tried that too. But it is not that simple. And it is not over. We have 4 months until the season starts; I am pretty sure there will be a WR on the roster who isn't in the building now.

I think most of the frustration doesn't come from the absence of double dip, but from the fact that WR drafted was Coleman. I get that people don't like him. I guess that we just have to wait and see now.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I've been told it's impossible, I guess because of the cap, but I am still going to hold out hope there is a way to bring in Aiyuk. He's exactly what we need.

Brandon Beane, speaking at his post draft presser just now, said "The cap is the cap. There is not a receiver trade coming". He said it point blank. So...I think at this point a free agency addition is far more likely.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we're overestimating what Beane could do. With all the personnel departures, he's basically trying to keep the lights on. Give him credit: He filled most of the holes and depth positions. They "just" need a free safety and a WR1, or at least a deep threat WR. With the June 1 money, he might be able to pull off one of these. That's really all we can reasonably ask. 

• Like (+1) 2

I enjoyed this write-up.  Thanks for posting.

I think many of us are a little colored by the expectation coming in that we'd trade up in the 1st - either for Thomas, or even Odunze/Nabers.  

We didn't.  Had I known that coming in, I'd be absolutely happy w/ this draft.  This is the kind of draft a team that's going into the era of paying their top QB has.  It's all about filling in positions of need w/ solid players, some of whom might excel and become standouts.

There was some mockery of the fact that we got character/leadership guys, but man do I love that.  And hard workers.  I'm a Knicks fan, and the picks remind me of the kind of guys Thibodeau would want - scrappy, gritty, tough.  

I think we got 3 starters, and at least 6 guys who make the roster & contribute.  I'm happy today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Brandon Beane, speaking at his post draft presser just now, said "The cap is the cap. There is not a receiver trade coming". He said it point blank. So...I think at this point a free agency addition is far more likely.

Yeah, it's not encouraging. I don't know who can be added. I'm sure they'll bring in a veteran. Someone will shake loose after the draft.

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

As I laid out in my previous post, we had many more needs than just WR. We came out of it with multiple starters, depth pieces, and prospects in a year where we were desperate for bodies. It's a win in every way but through the receiver lens. 

But when they moved Diggs, they created a massive hole at WR. You can't equate the need at WR with the need for a backup DT or RB. Yes those were both needs but only after adequately addressing WR. 

Our only hope is a trade for a veteran.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great response. Thank you for this.

Yeah, I'll admit: I'd feel a lot better about things if the Bills added just one more legitimate dude to the receiving corps, even via free agency.

They're one Samuel injury or one slow Coleman developmental Summer away from Mack Hollins or Justin Shorter being counted on for serious offensive snaps, and that is not acceptable to me.

I'm not even sure who at this point in the offseason would be a viable addition to that room -- OBJ? Chark? MVS? -- but I have my fingers crossed for SOMEBODY.

Yeah, IMO we absoltuely need a backup boundary/potential contributor.  

I think MVS, DJ Chark, Michael Gallup, Michael Thomas are all under consideration.  

MVS is a Gabe Davis type, without the blocking acumen.  I think him or Chark are very realistic options on a 1 year deal (potential 1 year added void yr).

Right now, I'm not panicking. There are a couple milestone moments, outlined below, that will get me from patience to full blown frustration/concern.

Come July, I will be getting very worried if we haven't made a move.  Come start of year, if no FA moves are made and Shorter doesn't show anything in preseason (we know who Hollins is at this point, WR5 and ST)...then I'll be in a full panic/angry.

Let's see what Beane does, fact is there is still time to improve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, it's not encouraging. I don't know who can be added. I'm sure they'll bring in a veteran. Someone will shake loose after the draft.

A post June 1st trade for Courtland Sutton -- who has a manageable cap number the next two years and who could be a valuable mentor for 20 year old Coleman, who has a very similar game to Sutton's -- would be a realistic and appealing goal, in my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I enjoyed this write-up.  Thanks for posting.

I think many of us are a little colored by the expectation coming in that we'd trade up in the 1st - either for Thomas, or even Odunze/Nabers.  

We didn't.  Had I known that coming in, I'd be absolutely happy w/ this draft.  This is the kind of draft a team that's going into the era of paying their top QB has.  It's all about filling in positions of need w/ solid players, some of whom might excel and become standouts.

There was some mockery of the fact that we got character/leadership guys, but man do I love that.  And hard workers.  I'm a Knicks fan, and the picks remind me of the kind of guys Thibodeau would want - scrappy, gritty, tough.  

I think we got 3 starters, and at least 6 guys who make the roster & contribute.  I'm happy today.

It was absolutely a solid draft. There's no question, we have put young leadership in place, and strengthened weak spots on the roster.

We have not sufficiently improved the WR room, which I think should have been a priority. It's not clear to me it ever will truly be such with this regime.

They need some elite playmakers. I don't think Coleman is that. He's a better Gabe Davis, which isn't terrible, but not enough.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

I don't think Bishop starting is a given.  In 2 WR sets I’m not sure Coleman is on the field either.  

Well nothing is a given, but I'd give 60-40 probability that Bishop is a WK1 starter and I'd also predict that Keon actually leads the Bills in WR snaps

• Like (+1) 1

I’m more excited for this year than last. Less expectations and looking forward to some breakout players. Kincaid and shakir. Coleman  is going to be fun to watch build a chemistry with Allen. We got our wr that people were clamoring for. Maybe not the one everyone wanted but we got the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

After this most recent off-season I have to agree

I think this is setting up for a very unfortunate 2-3yr attempt at a ball control grind it out type offense

Yeah and I just can't see Allen putting up with it.  Allen has an out after 2025.

9 minutes ago, finn said:

I think we're overestimating what Beane could do. With all the personnel departures, he's basically trying to keep the lights on. Give him credit: He filled most of the holes and depth positions. They "just" need a free safety and a WR1, or at least a deep threat WR. With the June 1 money, he might be able to pull off one of these. That's really all we can reasonably ask. 

He did a fantastic job working the board. And ended up with the guy they were going to grab at 28. Not really sure what people were expecting. Mission accomplished. Go bills 

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yeah and I just can't see Allen putting up with it.  Allen has an out after 2025.

Hahaha. Here we go. Since now Diggs is gone…Allen is the one we focus on not loving us anymore. Good gracious. Get a grip. 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

It was an overall solid draft but I’m very very disappointed after all the talk of being “explosive” and then drafting no one who fits that mold 

Literally Keon Coleman