NEW: Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

• Yes - Liked it when he did it. Still like it after day two.
    • Yes - Didn’t like it when he did it, but after rounds 2-3, I think it was a good move.
    • No - Hated it when he did it and I still think it was bad.
    • No - Seemed like a good idea after he did it, but after the rounds 2-3 picks, I hate it.

New poll to see how opinions have changed after day two. 

Now that the Bills have made their rounds 1-3 picks, I’m interested to see how people feel about the trade down strategy on day one. 

“I need to wait three years to see how it plays out” is not an option for a reason. 

I still think Beane done good. 

Results from initial poll:

IMG_6588.png

Edited by Gugny

Didn’t like when he did it. I mean, why the hell did I stay up to watch? But, in the light of day, he managed to add early picks in a draft where talent is expected to fall off sharply due to the lack of underclassmen, and get relative value at the draft selection position, something the team sorely needed given the exodus of the old vets. Not sexy, but functional. 

• Like (+1) 1

It got us a safety and a DT, neither of which are positions I frankly cared about  getting in day 2, and got us a low ceiling WR2 Gabe Davis replacement.

Whole draft sucks. Better hope for some Milano/TJ hits today. 

If he traded down and stuck Leggete at 32, I would have been a lot more happy 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It got us a safety and a DT, neither of which are positions I frankly cared about  getting in day 2, and got us a low ceiling WR2 Gabe Davis replacement.

Ya especially with McDermotts track record with safeties.

Was more hoping they would spend a 4th or 5th on a safety, not pick 60

• Gugny changed the title to NEW: Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Didn’t see a one of you calling for Coleman….not sure I like the sound of Josh being in on the decision…..

But, having watched his highlights reel, the kid has very good in game vertical. He’s seems to have very good hands. He catches contested balls repeatedly with guys hanging on him. He seems to have short space fluidity and body control. I see an immediate Redzone target where space and coverage is assured to be tight. And he is tall which makes Josh’s life easier both visually and targeting-wise.

We needed a safety, I assumed we were going to take a DB first or second. If the kids pans out quickly , it’s a good pick. Lord knows we have had games where our secondary is dropping like flies. And, as usual, we won’t have a great pass rush from our defensive “guru” coach so the back end will have to hold up.

DT….😒….. don’t like it but it is the MO of McBeane.

I think this is round one of a two year plan and assuming a middle first round pick next year along with some late trades for more ammo next year we should be hopefully looking at a second LEGIT window opening IN 25 or 26.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Didn’t see a one of you calling for Coleman….not sure I like the sound of Josh being in on the decision…..

But, having watched his highlights reel, the kid has very good in game vertical. He’s seems to have very good hands. He catches contested balls repeatedly with guys hanging on him. He seems to have short space fluidity and body control. I see an immediate Redzone target where space and coverage is assured to be tight. And he is tall which makes Josh’s life easier both visually and targeting-wise.

We needed a safety, I assumed we were going to take a DB first or second. If the kids pans out quickly , it’s a good pick. Lord knows we have had games where our secondary is dropping like flies. And, as usual, we won’t have a great pass rush from our defensive “guru” coach so the back end will have to hold up.

DT….😒….. don’t like it but it is the MO of McBeane.

I think this is round one of a two year plan and assuming a middle first round pick next year along with some late trades for more ammo next year we should be hopefully looking at a second LEGIT window opening IN 25 or 26.

Nothing says Josh was in on the decision.

Just says he was the WR of those left when the Bills picked, that Josh wanted.

It would be an assumption that Josh has influence on the draft from what he wants.  As he said in his OTA interview "I'd like to think that I have influence on the draft, but really, I don't"

Now that said, and I'll ack it if people say "talking out of both sides of my mouth", I would hope Josh has input into what traits he sees missing on the team.  Like if he says "I'd like a guy who is open when he's covered and can make those contested catches" or "I'd like a guy with superior ball tracking skills" or "I'd like a fast twitch guy who gets open quickly" or whatever.  Same with Brady.  But they aren't full time talent evaluators, so let the guys who are decide who best embodies those traits.

I think at the bottom of the 1st (which essentially is where we picked), you're not gonna get a perfect, all-rounded, developed receiver.  So then it becomes "what traits do you want the guy to come with, and what gaps do you think you can coach up?"  This guy has hands, and focus at the catch point.  He can make those circus catches with a DB's hand in his face, which is something we just absolutely haven't had.  He apparently has field vision to make moves after the catch, and strength to go through people for an extra yard or two when needed.   What he doesn't have is refined route running and refined release moves.

The Bills evidently believe they can coach that up, more easily than they can coach up a refined route runner to become a focused, contested catch guy.  

So we'll see.

Edited by Beck Water

As of noon Saturday, 82% like what Beane has done. Wow, what a surprisingly high number.

If you read the comments around here you would expect a much lower approval rating. I guess the Negative Nancies are disproportionately vocal.

I voted "yes, I like it". 

It's one of the traits I most like in Beane that he doesn't sit around pissing and moaning about drafting at the bottom of the round each round, or missing a 3rd round pick 'cuz the NFL screwed us on comp picks.  

Instead, he rolls up his shirtsleeves, maps out a strategy, and figures it out.

We started the day picking at the end of the 1st round, no 3rd rounder, and only late round picks.  We ended with a 3rd rounder and picking near the top of the 5th, and while TBDians coveted Worthy and Legette, evidently Beane did not so no lost opportunities we would have taken at the end of the 1st.

I do think Beane 100% picked for need though.  Some combination of BPA and need always, but this year shaded more by need.

10 minutes ago, boater said:

As of noon Saturday, 82% like what Beane has done. Wow, what a surprisingly high number.

If you read the comments around here you would expect a much lower approval rating. I guess the Negative Nancies are disproportionately vocal.

Always.  "Nattering Nabobs of Negativity" have volume.

Edited by Beck Water

46 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Nothing says Josh was in on the decision.

Just says he was the WR of those left when the Bills picked, that Josh wanted.

It would be an assumption that Josh has influence on the draft from what he wants.  As he said in his OTA interview "I'd like to think that I have influence on the draft, but really, I don't"

Now that said, and I'll ack it if people say "talking out of both sides of my mouth", I would hope Josh has input into what traits he sees missing on the team.  Like if he says "I'd like a guy who is open when he's covered and can make those contested catches" or "I'd like a guy with superior ball tracking skills" or "I'd like a fast twitch guy who gets open quickly" or whatever.  Same with Brady.  But they aren't full time talent evaluators, so let the guys who are decide who best embodies those traits.

I think at the bottom of the 1st (which essentially is where we picked), you're not gonna get a perfect, all-rounded, developed receiver.  So then it becomes "what traits do you want the guy to come with, and what gaps do you think you can coach up?"  This guy has hands, and focus at the catch point.  He can make those circus catches with a DB's hand in his face, which is something we just absolutely haven't had.  He apparently has field vision to make moves after the catch, and strength to go through people for an extra yard or two when needed.   What he doesn't have is refined route running and refined release moves.

The Bills evidently believe they can coach that up, more easily than they can coach up a refined route runner to become a focused, contested catch guy.  

So we'll see.

Good stuff

Admittedly, I don’t know where the “ Coleman was the last WR left that Josh like” thing came from.

IF it came out of the Bills org it just strikes me as not great. Can’t imagine a Saban or Hoodie worrying about what their QB wanted in a public forum. 
    My turn to talk out both sides: I want Allen to be happy and feel that the team is going in a direction that maximizes what he has to offer. I just don’t like the appearance of public need to get the info out ( if that is what happened) . It seems weak and slightly desperate.

In the end it doesn’t make any difference just how it struck me.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sorry…but…You don’t know what you are talking about if you think there is any similarity between Coleman and Gave Davis.  And I’m gonna guess you only made that lazy inaccurate comparison over a combine 40 time that was improved upon at his Pro day too. 

They are not at all the same player.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry…but…You don’t know what you are talking about if you think there is any similarity between Coleman and Gave Davis.  And I’m gonna guess you only made that lazy inaccurate comparison over a 40 time that was improved upon at his Pro day too. 

I said he’s a WR2 Gabe Davis replacement because that’s who he’s replacing. We still have a WR1 Stefon Diggs-shaped hole on the roster. Keep up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I said he’s a WR2 Gabe Davis replacement because that’s who he’s replacing. We still have a WR1 Stefon Diggs-shaped hole on the roster. Keep up.

Sorry, I thought you were comparing them, misunderstood.

I do think Coleman will be our WR1.  They aren’t trying to rebuild the same style offense and I think want more toughness and physical players.