What if all this isnt about this year but next year?

steven50

I was going to do a poll but then realized I had no clue how to do a poll so here is the question:

How would you feel if the Bills traded the two 2nd round picks and the third rounder (or some other combination of picks) for a (projected) low to mid/low 1st rounder next year?

The cap situation will be a lot better next year and with 2 first round picks and an aggressive free agency that could be the teams "all in" year. Bean went out of his way to say he was already getting calls and I doubt he traded out of the first round twice without the owner in on it so this probably has Pegula's blessing and jobs are safe.

If Bills management reasoned they didn't have the firepower (cap space and picks) to substantially upgrade the team this year, then they might have also rationalized why not start planting the seeds for next year.

1 hour ago, BuffaloButt said:

If it's about next year, then we should be loading up with as many top tier players we can so they'll be productive by next year.  

This.

It's about every year. That's their goal, as they've said many many times. They want to be competitive every year.

And there's every chance they'll be competitive this year as long as Allen is healthy.

They did this because based on their board and how the draft fell, they felt this was the most effective use of their picks. Doesn't mean anyone else has to agree. But that's what they thought.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Maybe, just maybe, the plan is to hang McD out to dry while clearing cap space.

That way, they can Can his arse late/ after the season and go into next year ready to fill the coffers for a “Not Schottenheimer 2.0”

He also gets to blame the mediocre season on McD and get some of his ball boys on here to see the light.

Oh, a man can dream🤔

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's about every year. NFL GMs operate on a long term plan. Fans operate on a year to year thought process.

Oh, you're giving me wayyyyyyyyyy too much credit here............i'm like minute by minute.......on a good day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Josh Allen will be 28 years old when the season starts.

The absolute prime of his career.  

Yes.  There is a reasonable explanation for all of Brandon Beane's offseason moves.  Why he surprisingly cut Mitch Morse (along with several other veterans).  Why he decided not to restructure all of Allen's contract, and did almost nothing in Free Agency.  Why he traded Stefon Diggs and took on tons of dead cap.  Why he decided not to move up in the draft this year for a Top 3 receiver.  And I'm sure many of the level-headed and conservative critics are applauding those moves.

The problem is that ALL of Beane's decisions are geared to help us in 2025.  But nothing has been done to give the Bills a better chance at winning the Super Bowl in 2024.  Our roster is significantly weaker than any point in the last 3-4 seasons, with much less depth across the board.  Can anyone honestly compare our talent level versus the Chiefs (again), Bengals, Texans, Ravens... or even the Jets, and think we will be a serious contender in the AFC this year?  

We only get so many cracks at this thing before Allen's best years are behind him, and we seem to be content punting away this upcoming season and reloading for the future.  Maybe we can argue it was the "smartest" thing for the franchise.  But personally, I think it's depressing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Can anyone honestly compare our talent level versus the Chiefs (again), Bengals, Texans, Ravens... or even the Jets, and think we will be a serious contender in the AFC this year?  

Multiple thread on TSW say “ Yes!!!”

Bills to SB, This team better than last year (?!?!) etc, blah, blah, blah….

This is 2025 is HOPEFULLY our next window opening stuff. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's about every year. NFL GMs operate on a long term plan. Fans operate on a year to year thought process.

Great post, hell lose one game and the "fire everybody" chant starts! Fast food culture!!!

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Josh Allen will be 28 years old when the season starts.

The absolute prime of his career.  

Yes.  There is a reasonable explanation for all of Brandon Beane's offseason moves.  Why he surprisingly cut Mitch Morse (along with several other veterans).  Why he decided not to restructure all of Allen's contract, and did almost nothing in Free Agency.  Why he traded Stefon Diggs and took on tons of dead cap.  Why he decided not to move up in the draft this year for a Top 3 receiver.  And I'm sure many of the level-headed and conservative critics are applauding those moves.

The problem is that ALL of Beane's decisions are geared to help us in 2025.  But nothing has been done to give the Bills a better chance at winning the Super Bowl in 2024.  Our roster is significantly weaker than any point in the last 3-4 seasons, with much less depth across the board.  Can anyone honestly compare our talent level versus the Chiefs (again), Bengals, Texans, Ravens... or even the Jets, and think we will be a serious contender in the AFC this year?  

We only get so many cracks at this thing before Allen's best years are behind him, and we seem to be content punting away this upcoming season and reloading for the future.  Maybe we can argue it was the "smartest" thing for the franchise.  But personally, I think it's depressing.

We are still four months away from the 2024 season and you have thrown in the towel?

Edited by amprov56
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

We are still four months away from the 2024 season and you have thrown in the towel?

Pretend for a moment you aren't a Bills fan, and you are objectively looking at this roster from the outside.

The team has quite obviously taken a step backwards at several key positions (Wide Receiver, Safety and Edge Rusher).  Less talented players will now be expected to step into starting spots and play more snaps.  At other positions, there is also less depth when the inevitable injuries happen (Offensive Line, Defensive Tackle).  Not to mention the significant loss of leadership, with five longtime veterans walking out the door (Stefon Diggs, Mitch Morse, Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde).  The biggest remaining star on defense (Matt Milano) is returning from a major leg injury.

Yes, there are still 4 months left until the start of the regular season.  But I'm struggling to see the pathway where we can fill all these spots with guys who can make an impact in 2024.  The veteran FA market has pretty much dried up, and we won't have cap space until June 1.  The rookies who could have made an immediate Year 1 impact are already gone.  

This team wasn't good enough in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.  Can anyone honestly say this roster looks BETTER in 2024?

Edited by mjt328
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, steven50 said:

I was going to do a poll but then realized I had no clue how to do a poll so here is the question:

How would you feel if the Bills traded the two 2nd round picks and the third rounder (or some other combination of picks) for a (projected) low to mid/low 1st rounder next year?

The cap situation will be a lot better next year and with 2 first round picks and an aggressive free agency that could be the teams "all in" year. Bean went out of his way to say he was already getting calls and I doubt he traded out of the first round twice without the owner in on it so this probably has Pegula's blessing and jobs are safe.

If Bills management reasoned they didn't have the firepower (cap space and picks) to substantially upgrade the team this year, then they might have also rationalized why not start planting the seeds for next year.

It became obvious that the Bills were doing a soft reboot this season when they cut ties with so many vets, ate so much dead cap and drastically cut cash spending. Few here were ready to admit that the Bills would be less competitive this season than the last few, but that’s the reality. Even I thought that they might go big for a top 3 WR in this draft and lean into the offense for a path to a good playoff run. They’ll have cap space to spend in FA next offseason. If they do that well and draft well this season and next we will be at the forefront of another open window in 2025. Even this season we should be a good team, just not a real contender. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Can anyone honestly say this roster looks BETTER in 2024?

So we're done then? After the first round of the 2024 draft? These are the guys that they're taking to camp?

the-sky-is-falling-chicken-little.gif

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Most of the people on this board operate on a draft round by draft round thought process, if they're thinking at all.

Everyone chill.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Pretend for a moment you aren't a Bills fan, and you are objectively looking at this roster from the outside.

The team has quite obviously taken a step backwards at several key positions (Wide Receiver, Safety and Edge Rusher).  Less talented players will now be expected to step into starting spots and play more snaps.  At other positions, there is also less depth when the inevitable injuries happen (Offensive Line, Defensive Tackle).  Not to mention the significant loss of leadership, with five longtime veterans walking out the door (Stefon Diggs, Mitch Morse, Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde).  The biggest remaining star on defense (Matt Milano) is returning from a major leg injury.

Yes, there are still 4 months left until the start of the regular season.  But I'm struggling to see the pathway where we can fill all these spots with guys who can make an impact in 2024.  The veteran FA market has pretty much dried up, and we won't have cap space until June 1.  The rookies who could have made an immediate Year 1 impact are already gone.  

This team wasn't good enough in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.  Can anyone honestly say this roster looks BETTER in 2024?