Dark Side of the Moon

Logic

Figured today would be the perfect day to discuss this masterpiece.

Currently listening in headphones to Dark Side of the Moon at work in honor of eclipse day.

Have always loved this album. From the first time I ever heard it as a stoned teenager, through dozens of listens (always in full sequential order), to the present day. It's perfect. Whether I lay back and close my eyes and listen in headphones, or crank it loud on the sound system, or sync it up with the Wizard of Oz. It's just always the masterpiece I remember it as. The sonic landscape it creates blows me away every time. 

Any other fans? Detractors? People who think it's a lot of hype about nothing? (If that's you, you're wrong, by the way).

If I inspire one person to spin this album today, I've done my job. Happy listening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

DONE  As I walked inside for potty breaks CNN was blasting updates from across the country and then I saw your post. I told hubby to PLEASE play this album in its entirety

and as the moon was blocking the sun the refrain from the "dark side of the moon" was playing. it was perfect

gracias amigo. m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Wikipedia and other articles about the making of the album are really interesting. And the female singer in Great Gig in the Sky sued for a writing credit and won, even though she doesn’t sing any words. 

DSOM is one of my all time favorite albums.  Listen to the original album plus lots of Pink Floyd performances of DSOM from other shows all the time.

One of my favorites is David Gilmore Live in Gdansk; might be the best 2nd solo to Comfortably Numb David ever did.

They also do a good chunk of DSOM at that show.

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

A masterpiece, indeed. 

When I bought my first CD player (1986), this was my first CD purchase. 

My older brother took me on a ride down Pacific Coast Highway in his '63 Corvair convertible and bought me The Doors as my first CD- I'd gotten a Sharp CD boombox a day or two before- that thing was a tank... and many thanks to my brother- great day!

On Floyd, I'm more of a Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict fan, myself.  )

37 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

My older brother took me on a ride down Pacific Coast Highway in his '63 Corvair convertible and bought me The Doors as my first CD- I'd gotten a Sharp CD boombox a day or two before- that thing was a tank... and many thanks to my brother- great day!

On Floyd, I'm more of a Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict fan, myself.  )

My first car was a 1961 Corvair Monza 900. Bought it for $1200 in 1990 in Norfolk, VA.  It was in amazing shape and I was too young and stupid to appreciate it. 

To this day, it’s the only car I miss. 

Bad car!  My brother bought his off some German tourists who got it to road trip across the US- I think they were fellow skydivers he met at his drop zone (my bro's a nut haha)

I was 16 at the time and he was going to just give me the car, but my folks wouldn't let me have it!  %#***%ng Ralph Nader

SuperCool cars!   Shoot- now I'm thinking I want to get one.  hmmm

Mostly sorta back on topic... thinking about Dark Side made me wonder about common sounds/feels between some Floyd albums over about a 6 or so year span.  One of These Days has a similar feel to other albums, so I was checking out which albums Alan Parsons Produced.   Turns out he Produced exactly zero Pink Floyd albums.  Well, now you know. 

I liked this article- a bit of stuff I've always wondered about, and a bit of stuff I never knew about

https://longreads.com/2020/09/03/shelved-pink-floyds-household-objects/

On 4/9/2024 at 8:19 AM, Gugny said:

My first car was a 1961 Corvair Monza 900. Bought it for $1200 in 1990 in Norfolk, VA.  It was in amazing shape and I was too young and stupid to appreciate it. 

To this day, it’s the only car I miss. 

You may have saved your life...  conversely, you may have been smarter than most:

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/was-the-corvair-as-bad-as-ralph-nader-claimed/

"Unsafe at any speed."

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I’ve always thought this was BS and still do. 

I agree a bit with you. The 1962s were the worse... BUT Nader did usher in changes... People were still getting impaled on their steering wheels with all makes models without collapsing steering columns, and other safety advances... Unfortunately, the Corvair took the brunt of the hit.   I mean, the 1962s did need aftermarket tweaking.  That's kinda bad...