La'al Collins signs for the Bills

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

How exactly did we "nuke" the OL?

Morse was slightly above average some games, but mostly average.  McGovern, Dawkins, Torrence and Brown return.  Edwards as well.

Yes Connor likely moves to C.  But that could be a very good thing.  Morse didn't hold up against 3-4 style, or anytime DT was in a 0 or 1i technique.

Edwards and Collins battle it out for LG.  Combined OL is just as good, if not better.  With Torrence likely improving and Brown as well.

We haven't even had the draft and you're prognisticating a bad WR room.  Let's see what happens in draft to start.  1st round WR and double dipping sometime later, and all of a sudden we might have a more diverse group since 2020

Why change the o line at all? It worked last year for once. You think oft-injured Collins or old Edwards is going to hold the left side? And we were healthy last year which won’t happen again. Add in trading a versatile bates, and I’m not seeing what there is to be positive about. No depth at all. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Why change the o line at all? It worked last year for once. You think oft-injured Collins or old Edwards is going to hold the left side? And we were healthy last year which won’t happen again. Add in trading a versatile bates, and I’m not seeing what there is to be positive about. No depth at all. 

Morse wasn't worth his contract at this point of his career.

And since you brought up injuries, Morse is always 1 concussion away from being done/career ending.  He also seems to battle through elbow injuries each year, and is not getting any younger.

Bates was versatile.  But it's very possible that Alec Anderson is our Swiss army guy at IOL.  Loser of Edwards/Collins battle also gives depth.  And we signed Clapp, who has solid starting experience.

Starting OL will be just as good, if not improved.  Remembering Torrence as a rookie and Brown showed his potential with a full offseason regimen (not coming off surgery/injury).  OL is least of concerns with the current roster.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally insane. He is toast.

When you have the chance to overpay the dude who can't contribute to the Bengals crappy OL, you just have to do it.

We are approaching fire beane territory tbh

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Hell compete with David Edwards at LG duties. RVD is Dawkins backup. Collins bumps out to RT if there is an injury to Brown 

Rob Van Dam Sport GIF by WWE

There is only 1 RVD

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Whoa! Up to 6.25m?! I literally just made a thread of our Projected Draft Capital. Not only would this be an overpay, it could cost us a Comp Pick next season. Wow.

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really close to that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But that price tag is puzzling.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When you have the chance to overpay the dude who can't contribute to the Bengals crappy OL, you just have to do it.

We are approaching fire beane territory tbh

what about the words “Up to” don’t you understand?  This player is capable of starting at LG or RT if you need him to.

good signing. Can also use him in Jumbo sets

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Whoa! Up to 6.25m?! I literally just made a thread of our Projected Draft Capital. Not only would this be an overpay, it could cost us a Comp Pick next season. Wow.

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But that price tag is puzzling.

No it doesn’t cost us a comp pick. He was cut by the bengals 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what about the words “Up to” don’t you understand?  This player is capable of starting at LG or RT if you need him to.

good signing

News to me, the Bengals, the Cowboys, and his agent.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

No it doesn’t cost us a comp pick. He was cut by the bengals 

Wasn't he signed to the Cowboys PS after that?

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really close to that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But 

Yes a little premature to be counting those comp picks for next year … I was under the impression that FA deals over the next month will still count on the formula for 2025…

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Camp competition for the swing tackle role, methinks.

I really liked the way Ryan VanDemark looked, but what the hell do I know?

I think the classic “you need nearly twice as many bodies for camp and you never know if vandemark has a jet ski” signing. 

If he somehow returns to form: awesome. 

if he gets part way there a jumps RVD: awesome 

If he’s behind RVD you at least have a vet that knows the building and the calls if you get caught with a run of injuries 

and if he’s total trash- no loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes a little premature to be counting those comp picks for next year … I was under the impression that FA deals over the next month will still count on the formula for 2025…

I didn't say it was a finalized list. Anything can change. I would be disappointed if we paid what we did and potentially gave up a 5th Rounder next year for Collins.

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They cut him last season, not this season. He then was signed to Dallas Practice Squad and then his contract ended when their season ended. He's a Free Agent on a lapsed contract at this point.

I don’t believe practice squad guys count, do they? 

that said it would be an anomaly for a PS guy to turn around and get a big deal   

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t believe practice squad guys count, do they? 

that said it would be an anomaly for a PS guy to turn around and get a big deal   

I don't think a cut from last season would carry over to the next season. If we were to sign him last year when he was cut, then it wouldn't have counted. As of the start of the League Year, he's a Free and clear Free Agent that would count against the Comp formula - or at least I'd think so. 

I'd certainly hope it wouldn't count, as to pay that much and give up on a pick for Collins would be staggering to me.

EDIT: "The Comp Guy" on Twitter (who's the go to guy for all Comp related queries for the Cover 1 guys) confirmed Collins does NOT count:

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think a cut from last season would carry over to the next season. If we were to sign him last year when he was cut, then it wouldn't have counted. As of the start of the League Year, he's a Free and clear Free Agent that would count against the Comp formula - or at least I'd think so. 

I'd certainly hope it wouldn't count, as to pay that much and give up on a pick for Collins would be staggering to me.

The demarcation about cut vs expiring contract is his prior team choosing to dispel their rights to him vs the player leaving without restriction (an untendered rfa doesn’t count either for instance because the prior team explicitly chose not to keep him). 

essentially an expiring contract is another team pulling a player and you can’t stop them even if you want to. With that You could gain a pick, the other team could lose a pick. 

a guy that was on the practice squad and not on a 53 man roster I do not believe counts in that any more than a guy in the cfl or rugby player or Lebron James or a player that was out of the league would

that said it would be very rare for a guy to go from PS to meaningful contract that would qualify so I can’t even think of a test case to look at 

Edited by NoSaint

Just seems like wasted cap money to me.  Thats fine when there is cap space but there isn't.  This team always seems to rather have 5 bottom end cheap guys than 1 guy who is good to great at his position.  I know there needs to be camp bodies and backups or whatever but that should be a min contract guy.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just seems like wasted cap money to me.  Thats fine when there is cap space but there isn't.  This team always seems to rather have 5 bottom end cheap guys than 1 guy who is good to great at his position.  I know there needs to be camp bodies and backups or whatever but that should be a min contract guy.

how many times must we do this?

UP TO.  UP TO. UP TO.   We don’t know what his base salary is

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1