Beane Discusses Draft Strategy w/ Pat McAfee

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Many of the top WR in the league we’re not 1st round picks.

True enough,  part of how I see it is that we need a guy who can pull coverage in their direction to help free up other receivers, something that imo was lacking from out 2nd boundary receiver the last couple seasons. Frankly I don’t care how Beane gets the guy, as long as it happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:26 PM, Donuts and Doritos said:

Sounds like Beane's going with a position of need that has less depth than receiver UNLESS he has the receiver graded higher. That doesn't sound good for pick 28. It sounds rational. But does have me wondering what round he'll take a WR? Unless it's smoke. 

It’s lying season in the NFL.  Beane is going to take the highest rated player on the draft board at #28 period. In my opinion most likely either d-line or WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s lying season in the NFL.  Beane is going to take the highest rated player on the draft board at #28 period. In my opinion most likely either d-line or WR.

I wouldn't rule out a trade to either move up or back. Beane has shown he will do that. Allen and Edmunds are examples of that as far as moving up goes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s lying season in the NFL.

It should be more obvious to fans in general. More than a few hot takes on this board recently make me wonder at what point does the average fan learn this?

Or I suppose the better question is: do you really want your GM out in the media doing anything but smoke screens and misdirection?

I want Beane taking up first round grades on punters, I want him making up stories about doing ayahuasca with Joe Rogan and Aaron Rodgers, I want him on TMZ with a random owner every other day until the draft just flooding inboxes with smoke.  

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only scenario in which you take a guy other than receiver is if the guy you have BPA sticking out on the board is higher tier of prospect (not just 0.1 or 0.2 difference) and is at a premium position. 

I’m a big fan of your knowledge, but what do you do if the top 3 and Mitchell and Thomas are gone by pick 28?  I know that you would take Legette - and that might be the right thing to do, but assume that the Bills don’t have him rated before mid-2nd and then what?  What WR left isn’t very similar to a mostly slot WR?  Would you take Troy Franklin or Wothy?  I was pretty hard on Franklin from the Combine, but possible I overreacted.  Still, I don’t know that I’d take Franklin there.  I’ don’t think I’d take Worthy, either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m a big fan of your knowledge, but what do you do if the top 3 and Mitchell and Thomas are gone by pick 28?  I know that you would take Legette - and that might be the right thing to do, but assume that the Bills don’t have him rated before mid-2nd and then what?  What WR left isn’t very similar to a mostly slot WR?  Would you take Troy Franklin or Wothy?  I was pretty hard on Franklin from the Combine, but possible I overreacted.  Still, I don’t know that I’d take Franklin there.  I’ don’t think I’d take Worthy, either.

This is the question that I have posed as well. Great question. The vast majority will tell you Worthy but that’s why I want people to think beyond these 3. 

I even want to add that Latu is gone as well. Thomas, Mitchell, Latu are gone and the Bills see Legette as a mid 2nd rounder 

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This is the question that I have posed as well. Great question. The vast majority will tell you Worthy but that’s why I want people to think beyond these 3. 

I even want to add that Latu is gone as well. Thomas, Mitchell, Latu are gone and the Bills see Legette as a mid 2nd rounder 

I think they probably try and trade back, but if Cooper Dejean is on the board, McD might just run the card up himself.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think they probably try and trade back, but if Cooper Dejean is on the board, McD might just run the card up himself.

I know I’m giving off vibes but the Bills can’t trade down or the value isn’t right and Cooper DeJean goes in the early 20s. I ask because it is plausible all of these happen 

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I know I’m giving off vibes but the Bills can’t trade down or the value isn’t right and Cooper DeJean goes in the early 20s. I ask because it is plausible all of these happen 

I guess you could stipulate enough conditions to try and manipulate the scenario into a particular choice. I just glanced at this page, so maybe I'm not following the conversation properly. If the question is about WR specifically, and you stipulate Thomas and Mitchell are gone, and Legette is a second rounder on the Bills' board, I suspect Troy Franklin could be the choice. I'm not high on him, nor am I keen on Coleman at #28, but it's possible those are the fellas they are looking at. I would make most of the board unhappy and take McConkey, if Legette is ruled out and you have to take a WR at #28.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess you could stipulate enough conditions to try and manipulate the scenario into a particular choice. I just glanced at this page, so maybe I'm not following the conversation properly. If the question is about WR specifically, and you stipulate Thomas and Mitchell are gone, and Legette is a second rounder on the Bills' board, I suspect Troy Franklin could be the choice. I'm not high on him, nor am I keen on Coleman at #28, but it's possible those are the fellas they are looking at. I would make most of the board unhappy and take McConkey, if Legette is ruled out and you have to take a WR at #28.

I agree that they probably pivot to Franklin but people should look for a worst case situations and work backwards. That’s worst case. Stuck at 28 Latu, Mitchell, Thomas, Worthy , DeJean are gone. If you don’t think the Bills run these scenarios people are kidding themselves 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I’m thinking the same thing.  If we don’t trade up for a WR and Dejean is there at 28, he will 100% be the pick.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

See that is where I get into my difference point. I have Chop just ahead of Worthy on grades but in the same tier. So I'd probably take Worthy. I would not take Franklin at #28. I might also consider an OT there. If 5 receivers have gone the likelihood is there hasn't been a run on tackles. So that could come into play. 

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

No solely for discussion what don’t you get. Out of the 13, some of them aren’t going to be there, some of them won’t be on the the Bills board or high enough  but guess what you and I don’t know how their board is and who is where. 

What you think isn’t relevant to their board. It’s worth discussing all possibilities because you and I don’t know man. How this is so damn hard for you to comprehend is astounding. Oh lord god forbid I want to discuss more than Xavier Legette day in and day out. 

As for who with Kincaid last year idk I’d have to go back and look at my notes. I know that OT was high on my board because of the uncertainty with Brown, his inconsistency and back issues, as well as WR but I projected the WRs to go either before the Bills pick which they did or I think I had a guy like them not loving Johnston 

Out of the 13 guys I expect Latu, Powers Johnson, Mitchell, Murphy, Newton, DeJean literally you commented on my last mock go look lol. That leaves 7 guys but out of those 13 it’s not out of the realm of possibility that any of the 13 are there at the Bills pick. 

Did someone tell you that you weren't allowed to even "discuss" players the Bills might draft at pick #28?

And why is me discussing players in your mock draft a "lol"?  I literally gave your draft a great review and worked to advance the discussion with opinions and context.

There isn't any logic to why you are upset about this.    The reality is that Beane is not going to have 13 players(or even close to it) that he is hemming over at #28.  

You have to know this, right?

Are you irked because you think YOU have narrowed it down to 13 players for sure and that is now the only viable "field" of discussion?   You are going to have to have more than "I told you the Bills might stand pat and select Dalton Kincaid".   You didn't even call THAT right.     

For all we know Beane's board is "none of those are good enough" and he is determined to trade up higher than any of them go or trade back.   You don't know his list anymore than the people you are angry with for narrowing their group down to a much more realistic number like "3".  

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

I predict that Shakir will be a solid pro that will average anywhere from 500-800 yards a year.

Yeah I am going to go on the higher side and say he gets the targets to produce 800-900 yards this year but his efficiency numbers drop significantly in terms of catch rate and yards per catch and YAC.

If he gets 100 targets and keeps up that 2023 efficiency he's a stud and that would be great.    I hope that happens but I would be shocked.

I think teams were over-focused on Diggs last year.........giving him respect he no longer warranted..........and they will review the tape and realize that and gameplan more against him specifically.  

I think he has more sustainability than Gabe Davis but that is the cautionary part of this story.   People thought Gabe was going to become a WR1 because he had success against a lot of depth CB's in 2020-2021.    When they put a CB1 on Davis and doubled Diggs.........that was the end of that Cinderella story.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did someone tell you that you weren't allowed to even "discuss" players the Bills might draft at pick #28?

And why is me discussing players in your mock draft a "lol"?  I literally gave your draft a great review and worked to advance the discussion with opinions and context.

There isn't any logic to why you are upset about this.    The reality is that Beane is not going to have 13 players(or even close to it) that he is hemming over at #28.  

You have to know this, right?

Are you irked because you think YOU have narrowed it down to 13 players for sure and that is now the only viable "field" of discussion?   You are going to have to have more than "I told you the Bills might stand pat and select Dalton Kincaid".   You didn't even call THAT right.     

For all we know Beane's board is "none of those are good enough" and he is determined to trade up higher than any of them go or trade back.   You don't know his list anymore than the people you are angry with for narrowing their group down to a much more realistic number like "3".  

Im not even upset right now.  I tried to bury the hatchet literally 5 posts with you who when I said Fair and you just continued plugging away and you’re still plugging away. Give it up.  You must have missed the part where I said I don’t know the board anymore than you do. People discussed DeJean and your ripped it down with your tired business economics tirade that you plug into every discussion that doesn’t involve a premium position. That’s not moving a discussion forward that’s rehashing your points to get people to agree with you. Hence the you must have been pissed about the Kincaid pick last year. 

For someone who says I lecture too much you sure do much of the same 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m hoping we move up in first and get Thomas…or Odunze it he slides close enough because of an early QB run and someone like Cowboys over drafts Worthy ahead of Odunze.  I’m also ok moving back from 28 and taking a WR and picking up maybe a 3rd in doing so.  I’m also fine going BPA if it’s another position and then maybe trading up in the 2nd to go get our guy.

Draft is so deep and rich at WR, so I’m good with a number of scenarios.  I don’t feel like it’s gotta be one particular way this year.

Because Bills have no third, i might think they maneuver to gain better draft spots. But not in the first, unless ....

Bills have a volume of picks later than 3.

More than they can sign i believe ?

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

True enough,  part of how I see it is that we need a guy who can pull coverage in their direction to help free up other receivers, something that imo was lacking from out 2nd boundary receiver the last couple seasons. Frankly I don’t care how Beane gets the guy, as long as it happens. 

Davis was little threat in the offense at some point. Was not open was not routed for catching , was not on the progression list  lol

Samuel will change that , in theory.

Need one more boundary. the better, the better. Brady and Allen will find a way to make him a threat worth covering

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

find the trades and get Franklin and Sweat

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m thinking the same thing.  If we don’t trade up for a WR and Dejean is there at 28, he will 100% be the pick.  

tell me why again ?

You and Gonzo both

Sorry if i missed it upstream

40 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

tell me why again ?

You and Gonzo both

I don’t think Rapp or Edwards is stopping McBeane from taking a safety they like high in the draft and DeJean checks all the boxes on what they look for in a DB - versatile, smart, playmaker.  

46 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

tell me why again ?

You and Gonzo both

Im not for or against DeJean per se. I would understand why the Bills took him at 28 for sure if it happens and I do think he’s the only truly elite safety prospect on paper. 

I think it’s likely the are going to go WR, DT, or DE. With that said depending on how the board falls I can see DeJean or a Tackle being the pick if things go sideways for them as it pertains to the first 3 needs