McDermott is feeling the pressure

28 minutes ago, julian said:

Fair enough, but we have a 1st ballot HOF QB in his prime, McDermott has been with Allen for six seasons, I’ll even say to be fair, 4 season since Allen broke out in 2020, let’s assume 10 more seasons with Allen, do we just sit back and watch the same results over and over until 17 retires ? Or do we do everything we can to try and win a title, which may include rolling the dice on a lesser known coaching candidate or hiring a proven SB winning HC.

At some point you just have to try something different even though there’s never any guarantees IMO.

He fired Frazier and Dorsey

Thats a fairly sincere point to make about changing what doesnt work

• Like (+1) 1

I think McD is a pretty good coach.  Has he made mistakes? Yes.  The Bills have had some injuries the last 2 seasons which have not helped.  Teams that win the SB usually have some luck regarding injuries.  I don't think the Bills roster has been as good as needed.  Not enough high draft picks on offense.  Too many high picks on defense.  Too much FA money on defense.  Not enough FA money on offense.  I think the team's roster philosophy is flawed.  You have Allen and Diggs on offense and now 1 season with Kincaid.  Get more wideouts for Allen who can get open and catch the F'n ball.  Why is this so hard?

Edited by juno999
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, section122 said:

Of those 4 seasons mcvay and reid are the only hcs to win.  So everyone should be fired?

I just came across a crazy stat.  Over the last 10 years there are only 3 hcs still coaching in the nfl that have won a sb.  Pederson, McVay, and Reid.

Past those 10 years you can add Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, and McCarthy.

I wont argue against mcvay or reid they are excellent hcs however the rest of the guys haven't had the success the Bills have since McD took over.

Ok so you’re in the camp of riding it out with McDermott, that’s fine and I hope he can get it done. I’m just in a different camp. Of those other 30 HCs who haven’t won a SB the last 4 years.. how many had a QB with 4 straight 40+ TD seasons, none because in the history of the NFL only Allen has ever done it… that’s why McDermott isn’t in the same boat as all the others.

A player of Allen’s brilliance is a blessing and a curse for a HC, they make it much easier to win a title, but you damn well better win a title.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is a poor take imo.  

His plan worked out great.  There is no doubt 

We have to be able to separate the results from the decision

Put it this way- if Allen had flamed out would you still be saying it was a well executed plan for bringing along a rookie QB?

1 minute ago, julian said:

Ok so you’re in the camp of riding it out with McDermott, that’s fine and I hope he can get it done. I’m just in a different camp. Of those other 30 HCs who haven’t won a SB the last 4 years.. how many had a QB with 4 straight 40+ TD seasons, none because in the history of the NFL only Allen has ever done it… that’s why McDermott isn’t in the same boat as all the others.

A player of Allen’s brilliance is a blessing and a curse for a HC, they make it much easier to win a title, but you damn well better win a title.

Dorsey! 

was a mistake and a setback.

Cheering for Brady and the Laundry again this season !

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

He fired Frazier and Dorsey

Thats a fairly sincere point to make about changing what doesnt work

It’s his defense, always has been, I think he’s an excellent HC, my only argument is at some point you need to make a change

To be honest I don’t care how , or with who buffalo wins a Super Bowl.. my biggest fear is we’re having this conversation ten years from now, especially having Allen as our QB , 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Put it this way- if Allen had flamed out would you still be saying it was a well executed plan for bringing along a rookie QB?

Yes. 

I have long argued AGAINST hiding rookie QB’s at all cost in the offense. I think it hinders development and props up young QB’s who suck and you just don’t know it yet.

If Mac Jones was dropped into the 2018 Bills, we would’ve all known he was complete garbage after his rookie season. Instead, he got hidden on that ball control Pats team, won 10 games barely playing the position and they wasted 2 more years trying to recapture that magic before deciding that yeah, he sucks. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes. 

I have long argued AGAINST hiding rookie QB’s at all cost in the offense. I think it hinders development and props up young QB’s who suck and you just don’t know it yet.

If Mac Jones was dropped into the 2018 Bills, we would’ve all known he was complete garbage after his rookie season. Instead, he got hidden on that ball control Pats team, won 10 games barely playing the position and they wasted 2 more years trying to recapture that magic before deciding that yeah, he sucks. 

The plan was starting Peterman.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

There is meaningful comparison. Due to Allen the bar of expectations for McDermott is higher.  McDermott is unreasonably calling people narrow minded who want a higher bar than he wants. Maybe his lower bar is narrow minded.  

I think the context in which that was said might be relevant to whether or not it's unreasonable

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Fair points. All.

What is your breaking point? Philadelphia had theirs with Reid. Tampa did with Dungy. Do you ever give up on him and go with someone else? 

Shanahan is closer to Levy with two SuperBowl appearances.  McDermott should be so lucky to be in the same sentence as Shanahan at this point. 

There is no "breaking point."  Such things can't be predefined.   

If I'm the owner, I have to make a change if he loses the team, that's for sure.  But each year I evaluate his performance, the team's performance.   The question never is how many times he's failed to win the Super Bowl.  The question always is whether I think he can win the Super Bowl.  

Lately, every team has failed unless the QB's name is Mahomes or Brady.   The Rams broke through for a year; does that make McVay great?   No, it means everything fell right for one year and he won.  I'm not firing Shanahan because he didn't beat Mahomes and Reid, and I'm not firing McDermott, either. 

I never thought Dungy was a very good coach.   The Colts stayed with him longer that I would have.   I don't have the same feeling about McDermott.   The team is very good, the players love him, and he's young.   Coaches get better with experience, just like players do.  The difference is that with players, more experience means your body is getting older and failing.  Coaches don't have to worry about their bodies failing.  McDermott will be a better coach at 60 than his is at 50, and he's better at 50 than he was at 45.  

Until he gives me reason to go another direction (and as I said, not winning it all yet is not a reason), I'm happy to watch him get better.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If we're talking about the plan to go into the season with Peterman and Allen as the QB....that was a horrible, horrible plan.

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

put it this way, allen didn’t flame out.

our supporting cast that season was awful.  Any plan had little chance of success for the 2018 season.   The only thing you can go on is what actually DID happen with regards to his development. 2018 wasn’t the only season in which they had a plan for him.  As a hole, they plan has worked.  Acting as if his  decision on who to start during Allens rookie year is the say all end all doesn’t jive with reality

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're wrong.  

Your evidence that he's feeling the pressure is based on you evaluation of his performance in a press conference.  He's ALWAYS been bad in press conferences.  He's uncomfortable, he doesn't like it, and he isn't good at figuring out how to give useful answers to questions without saying too much.  

It's ridiculous, meaning it's fair to subject you to ridicule, for you to compare McDermott to Dick Jauron.  McDermott has built a perennial top-five favorite to win the Super Bowl, and Jauron went 7-9 three years in a row before the team fell apart.  There is NO meaningful comparison.  

You're free to not like McDermott, but you're not going to convince anyone who knows football.  The 49ers aren't firing Shanahan and the Bills aren't replacing McDermott.  

Give Jauron, Josh Allen instead of JP Losman, without Tom Brady in the division and lets see how many Division titles Dicky J wins. We’ll never know. McDermott is who he is, the players and anyone who knows him loves the guy. I'm excited to see him rebuild the secondary, so there's that.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

Schottenheimer 2.0

He won’t win us a Superbowl. 
He has blown his best chances !

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, uticaclub said:

Give Jauron, Josh Allen instead of JP Losman, without Tom Brady in the division and lets see how many Division titles Dicky J wins. We’ll never know. McDermott is who he is, the players and anyone who knows him loves the guy. I'm excited to see him rebuild the secondary, so there's that.

Jauron wasn't a risk taker.   McDermott is, at least in some ways.   Jauron wasn't ever going to win, even with Allen.  Unless he changed his stripes.  

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't think that he has to worry about Beane. McDermott brought him in and imo he can fire Beane at will. McDermott runs the ship and was in chaarge before Beane got to town. 

I'm surprised to see the heartfelt support that McDermott is getting in this thread. Yes, his record is good but his quarterback is Great! I don't know, do folks think that McDermott was the only coach who could have achieved this record with Josh Allen at QB? Could no other coach have done a better job in the playoffs, or provided Josh with better tools?

Yeah, it's hard for me to grasp the blind loyaly but as always, jmo. 

With respect, I'm not sure the message is so much "heartfelt support" for McD, as 

1) impatience with the OP for his campaign

2) finding the McDermott/Jauron comparison inapt

• Like (+1) 1