Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

Cant go low on QBs, cant go high to neck and above, and now cant go for waist. Whats left. Chest tackles and hope that refs dont think you hit to high. 

If a player doesnt wanna get hurt on yackles like that then just go down when youre wrapped up around the waist. Those plays only happen cause offensive player is trying to break out of the tackle.

• Agree 1

Reason #8quadrillion building defense makes no sense.

the rules just don't allow defenders to defend. can't hit high or low, can't tackle from behind at the waist, can't touch receivers, can't hit QB

Build offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

They still don't know what a catch is.  Who gives a *****?

I do? 

I will watch every game like I do every year, but it was annoying when the body weight rule changed and they overcalled it on every pass rusher for breathing on the QB for 2-3 years. 

This will be more of the same. They will overcall on things that AREN’T the type of play they are trying to legislate out of the game. It will ruin a couple games. I’ll still watch. 

Just now, FireChans said:

I do? 

I will watch every game like I do every year, but it was annoying when the body weight rule changed and they overcalled it on every pass rusher for breathing on the QB for 2-3 years. 

This will be more of the same. They will overcall on things that AREN’T the type of play they are trying to legislate out of the game. It will ruin a couple games. I’ll still watch. 

Name me one rule the officials don't get wrong and we can start from there as a establishing "the officials will get it wrong" as a valid reason not to try and protect players from themselves.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:16 AM, LabattBlue said:

So this is if you go to tackle a player around the waist, and slide down to his knees or ankles?

No, not at all.  It's where you go to tackle a player and get some extra force to bring him down by dropping YOUR hips and kicking your legs up.

resulting in the defender's body weight landing on the offensive player's legs and feet, with a high potential to cause injury.

I understand the intent behind the rule, my problem is that I believe it will become Yet Another Rule referees misinterpret or enforce inequitably.

Here is a Rugby video I found about what is or isn't a hip-drop tackle

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

The rugby video explains the concept very well and shows it's an intentional choice. We've seen the damage that someone just rolling free into the back of someone's calves and feet can cause. Now imagine someone holding onto your body high while flopping their lower half on your legs, pulling everything above the knee one direction with arm strength and everything below the knee gets pulled the opposite direction by their full body weight. 

I think it's ok, but anyone that has played Defense in the last 100 years was told Defense was "read and react". Increasingly defenses are having to adjust on the fly, literally. I don't know how a defender can play while not trusting his instincts to react. I suspect we are going to see a lot of offensive players take advantage of that initiative.

Even the (alleged) "fake slide" by Allen against Pittsburgh. While I happen to not think it was a fake slide, it is a good example of how defenses are screwed as you can't lay off a hit once you've committed, so you have to do it early enough for the offensive player to see it and still react. The net result of adjusting to new rules is that talented offensive players will take advantage of that indecision.

Edited by Ballhawk

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Name me one rule the officials don't get wrong and we can start from there as a establishing "the officials will get it wrong" as a valid reason not to try and protect players from themselves.

If you’re looking for a nuanced discussion about the balance of the value of player safety vs the enjoyment I experience while watching on my couch, you’ve come to the wrong place.

Just now, FireChans said:

If you’re looking for a nuanced discussion about the balance of the value of player safety vs the enjoyment I experience while watching on my couch, you’ve come to the wrong place.

I get more enjoyment watching each team's best on best than I do watching AJ Klein trying to cover Travis Kelce down the seam.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

img_2_1711480578615.jpg

That's not a hip drop tackle and half the people in this thread don't understand what the league is taking away

It's literally less than 1% of tackles... It may be happens once a game.. and it is 100% The defenders choice

That defender did not drop his body weight onto the back of his opponent's legs snapping his ankle or leg

That is what a hip drop tackle is.. dropping your body weight onto the back of the offensive players leg which is super destructive to the body 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's not a hip drop tackle and half the people in this thread don't understand what the league is taking away

It's literally less than 1% of tackles... It may be happens once a game.. and it is 100% The defenders choice

That defender did not drop his body weight onto the back of his opponent's legs snapping his ankle or leg

That is what a hip drop tackle is.. dropping your body weight onto the back of the offensive players leg which is super destructive to the body 

Though it may not be a "text book" hip drop, just the possibility that the refs can and will use it to change the outcome of a game is unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

Though it may not be a "text book" hip drop, just the possibility that the refs can and will use it to change the outcome of a game is unacceptable.

As someone who has been coaching for 30 years I clearly understand what a hip drop tackle is and what it looks like

As I said it's less than 1% of tackles in a football game and the refs clearly can tell.. you fall differently

It's very easy to see when a grown man drops his an entire body weight onto the lower appendages of another man.. completely different than tackling somebody around the legs

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As someone who has been coaching for 30 years I clearly understand what a hip drop tackle is and what it looks like

As I said it's less than 1% of tackles in a football game and the refs clearly can tell.. you fall differently

It's very easy to see when a grown man drops his an entire body weight onto the lower appendages of another man.. completely different than tackling somebody around the legs

I don't care if you personally played football with OJ, the game needs fewer rules. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

I don't care if you personally played football with OJ, the game needs fewer rules. 

It needs fewer rules that are arbitrarily stupid

This is an actual safety issue... Players that get tackled this way don't get up most of the time... Because it breaks ankles and legs at a much higher percentage

This is not going to be a rule change that is going to cause seven extra flags a game... You will be able to go entire games without it even being called

Because it happens once a game... And it's usually always with intent

You don't tackle somebody like that by accident.. professionals don't

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1