Is drafting Diggs replacement a priority in this draft?

Virgil

Should the Bills trade up with Diggs gone now?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills trade up with Diggs gone now?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

When only week 8 on count towards wins and losses, that will matter. 

Just as reasonable and full of spin to say that he wasn't that productive after the OC who drew up the playbook was replaced by another OC forced to use the original guy's playbook.

Diggs was 7th in receptions, 13th in yards and tied for 8th in TDs. 10th in 1st downs. All of those are still very good. Not as good as we're used to from Diggs. But very very good.

And again, Josh overthrew an open Diggs on bombs like 6 times last year. 

If Diggs in 2024 is the guy in the last 8 weeks and not the first ten, he is easily replaceable by a rookie. That was my point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Kumerow was 6'4". Duke Williams was 6'3". He's had a monster. And he's had other guys who can go up and make contested catches, including Davis and Diggs.

Height isn't a non-factor. But it shouldn't be in the top three either. Fast, separation and a proven ability to run a varied route tree and to be effective at all levels should be higher priorities.

I'm not talking about just a tall receiver. That's a very basic way of looking at my post. You see I mentioned Garret Wilson, who isn't even that big. I'm talking about a talented WR who actually has that skill set.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm not talking about just a tall receiver. That's a very basic way of looking at my post. You see I mentioned Garret Wilson, who isn't even that big. I'm talking about a talented WR who actually has that skill set.

Ladd mcconkey's pro comp is Garret Wilson when Daniel Jeremiah was doing the combine if I remember correctly 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

When only week 8 on count towards wins and losses, that will matter. 

Just as reasonable and full of spin to say that he wasn't that productive after the OC who drew up the playbook was replaced by another OC forced to use the original guy's playbook.

Diggs was 7th in receptions, 13th in yards and tied for 8th in TDs. 10th in 1st downs. All of those are still very good. Not as good as we're used to from Diggs. But very very good.

And again, Josh overthrew an open Diggs on bombs like 6 times last year. 

Good point on "when only week 8 on count...."

Yes, Josh overthrew Diggs....there was also that bomb in the playoffs that it really looked as though Diggs could have caught, and he's stated "that's one I wish I had back".  Diggs also has 8 scored drops.

Diggs is undoubtedly a very good WR still

• Like (+1) 1

The Athletic dropped their updated Mock Draft 2.0.

For whatever it's worth, yet another DE...

28. Buffalo Bills: Darius Robinson, Edge, Missouri

The Bills tried to move up to get one of the top four receivers, but once that didn’t work, they had a deal in place to move down … that also fell through. Moving down would be preferred if the board played out this way. But with the depth of the receiver class, there is no reason to force the pick and take someone who doesn’t fit what the Bills need in an X receiver with speed to get over the top. Instead, they used their pick on another premium position and landed a long, versatile defensive lineman — a selection that had Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane written all over it. The vision is to eventually use Robinson as a starting defensive lineman who can play on either edge or inside at defensive tackle, depending on the situation. As a prospect, Robinson has been compared to Arik Armstead, whom the Bills were in on as a free agent. — Joe Buscaglia

I have a feeling that the high priority to draft a new #1 WR may exist more with the fans than at OBD. Especially given how little future-drafting Beane has done in the past. Still have my sights set on Troy Franklin tho...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I have a feeling that the high priority to draft a new #1 WR may exist more with the fans than at OBD. Especially given how little future-drafting Beane has done in the past. Still have my sights set on Troy Franklin tho...

I have the same fear, but I keep telling myself that Beane not touching a restructure on Stef means that he knows his days are numbered. 

I’m still preparing myself for the onslaught of “we didn’t need a highly drafted WR, we signed Curtis Samuel” posts after the the draft.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I have the same fear, but I keep telling myself that Beane not touching a restructure on Stef means that he knows his days are numbered. 

I’m still preparing myself for the onslaught of “we didn’t need a highly drafted WR, we signed Curtis Samuel” posts after the the draft.

If we do go with a different position at 28, I'll wait to see how the 2nd round plays out before getting on the roof.

I just think it's most likely Beane doesnt get serious about an early WR until next year, if/when Diggs is already gone. It's kinda been their MO. Frustratingly.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Good point on "when only week 8 on count...."

Yes, Josh overthrew Diggs....there was also that bomb in the playoffs that it really looked as though Diggs could have caught, and he's stated "that's one I wish I had back".  Diggs also has 8 scored drops.

Diggs is undoubtedly a very good WR still

Very much doubtedly, tbh. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If we do go with a different position at 28, I'll wait to see how the 2nd round plays out before getting on the roof.

I will accept a trade back or a WR in the first. Otherwise, I’m putting up the Fire Beane billboard. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I believe so.

Doesn't necessarily mean that Diggs is a goner in 2025, if he shows he still has juice and is productive then it doesn't make sense to get move on from him in 2025.

But that is a big if.  And I'd rather draft someone who we believe can potentially be the #1 WR this year so that if Diggs is not with us in 2025 that this player would already have a year under his belt to potentially move into the #1 spot rather than relying on drafting a premium pick to become that guy as a rookie.

• Agree 1

I'd put drafting Diggs' replacement at a top 4 priority.

1.  Draft Diggs' replacement

2.  Add S youth to offset Poyer/Hyde

3.  Add an Edge rusher to offset Von Miller's decline and lack of pass rush.

4.  Add OC to account for the loss of Mitch Morse

By the end of round 4, all of these positions would be addressed in a perfect world in my opinion.

I'd say we need DT but should be able to pick a few in round 5+.

But again, it depends on BPA..... and you never know how the board falls.  I like WRs right through round 5, so WR in round 1 isn't an absolute MUST in my opinion.  

Edited by Yantha

43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I won’t sit idly by while they do our boy dirty like they did with Cam. 

Do you really believe Beane has the balls to draft a #1 WR at #28 with Diggs being a loose cannon the past few years when everything is not all about him, on the Offense.  I have a bad feeling that Joe Brady is going to expose a cancer on this team,  this year named "SD" Stephon Diggs.  After seeing this guys attitude last year, the year before and the way he has been this off season, the sooner the better we somehow trade him to another team might become a reality.  Just my gut feelings about him.  I hope I am wrong.  But Josh is the the priority on the team and I hope Joe Brady throws the book at him to design plays that do not rely on Digg's and utilize all the other weapons that this team still has.  If he doesn't it's going to a long season on offense.

Everyone has an opinion on this.  This is mine.

Draft a WR in the 1st round (2nd at the latest).  I will be disappointed in Beane if he does not.

I prefer to let the draft come to Beane and not waste a 4th to move up 2 spots unless he is pretty darn sure a team

like the Chiefs is trading up to take his guy.

With the draft full of WRs, Beane should have a lot more than 1 guy he'd be happy with, both in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Good post.  Allen was actually 4th, not leading the league in completion % in 2020, but that's a nit.  He had 69% completion % with 8 y/a, and I would lobby that Diggs/Sanders-Davis/Beasley in 2021 was also pretty good: while Allen's completion percentage declined, and passing yardage went from 5th to 8th, that represented a drop of 137 yds over a 17 game season, or 8 ypg.  And some could argue Diggs decline from #1 WR in the league with a 76.6% catch % played a role.  For 2022 the fall-off in terms of passing yards was double - 261 yds - and the Int% starting to climb.  This past season, while Allen's completion percentage climbed from 63% to 66%, his Int% was almost twice what it was in 2020, 3.1% vs 1.7%.

Some would say that's on Allen, and I'm sure some of it is, but it's also on WR not getting the same separation, or reading the defense and choosing the correct option, and then Allen getting impatient and trying to force things to happen.

So while we aren't exactly talking a 'sea change' from top-3 passing offense to top-8 or 9 passing offense, that kind of drop is significant for a team with Championship as the goal.

So yeah - Beane and the Bills Brain Trust felt that Davis was ready to step up and achieve something close to his 2020 Colts playoff or 2021 KC division round performance, on the regular.  They were mistaken.  They felt that McKenzie was ready to step up and go as a platoon with Crowder in the slot.  Crowder got injured, and they were mistaken on that point too.   Mistakes happen to all teams and all FOs - took the Chiefs what, 3 shots at a WR in the 2nd round to land one who looks promising? and there's Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the 1st. 

But you don't hit the shot you don't take.  Time for the Bills to shoot their shot at WR.

I don't think that's really the question.  In my mind, we're not trying to replace Diggs, we're trying to draft a guy who can give us a 1-2 punch WITH Diggs, and who has the potential to develop as a future #1 (not to walk in the door and hit it).

When and how would you bring in Diggs "next"

I think we should be discussing that.

As I have said. Bills would do well to draft a WR with speed and some of the other qualities somewhere along the first two days

But if they have a shot to gets Diggs some real competition from the draft , they certainly should.

If that speedy x receiver happens to have most all the qualities to take him to 1A ? then , all the better.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Athletic dropped their updated Mock Draft 2.0.

For whatever it's worth, yet another DE...

28. Buffalo Bills: Darius Robinson, Edge, Missouri

The Bills tried to move up to get one of the top four receivers, but once that didn’t work, they had a deal in place to move down … that also fell through. Moving down would be preferred if the board played out this way. But with the depth of the receiver class, there is no reason to force the pick and take someone who doesn’t fit what the Bills need in an X receiver with speed to get over the top. Instead, they used their pick on another premium position and landed a long, versatile defensive lineman — a selection that had Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane written all over it. The vision is to eventually use Robinson as a starting defensive lineman who can play on either edge or inside at defensive tackle, depending on the situation. As a prospect, Robinson has been compared to Arik Armstead, whom the Bills were in on as a free agent. — Joe Buscaglia

they need WRs. How and when Bills gather them remains to be seen.

and Franklin ? yep

I expect McBeanes to move around trying to get the third pick back or even into the second depending.

two twos might be good 😏

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Very much doubtedly, tbh. 

Upper body injury many of us projected last year.

His foot work was good as ever , he seemed to not be able to reach the ball at times. and he was man on man often late in the season. no doubles.

Hopeful that projection was correct and he returns to form