McGovern talks moving to center

I've been trying to say, he's a natural center. He was a center in high school. A lot of centers are converted from other positions. He's been playing center for a long time. I guess Penn State and Dallas needed him more at guard. I think he's going to be excellent at center and I am glad he is excited for the opportunity. A bit more stout than Morse.  And I know I am in the minority here, but I really like David Edwards. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

yep this article convinced me he is the center and they are going to maybe be in the guard hunt late in the draft or in the summer...or i guess the center hunt late in the draft or in the summer as a backup.

so 28 and 60 are probably wr and D-line.  

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I've been trying to say, he's a natural center. He was a center in high school. A lot of centers are converted from other positions. He's been playing center for a long time. I guess Penn State and Dallas needed him more at guard. I think he's going to be excellent at center and I am glad he is excited for the opportunity. A bit more stout than Morse.  And I know I am in the minority here, but I really like David Edwards. 

David Edwards is only 26 so he could work himself into a decent extension if he steps up this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

David Edwards is only 26 so he could work himself into a decent extension if he steps up this year.

he's only 4 years older than Trumaine Edmunds.

• Haha (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd prefer a veteran backup as well maybe not the other Connor McGovern.

I had my eye on Jack Driscoll, but he signed with the Dolphins. 

Of what is left, I like Evan Brown. Super high RAS center who is similar to Ryan Bates in a bunch of metrics. He's been a competent backup for a bit and floated around the league, has started 40 games. But he is still young and I love the athleticism. He can play guard or center. 

If you want a true vet backup who is a solid player in a pinch it's probably Cody Whitehair. He has a lot of experience at both guard and center. He is 32, but he is the type of guy who could be useful in the group. Released so no comp pick impact. Lucas Patrck was also released by the Bears and is a high RAS guy who has a good amount of experience. 

Shane Lemiuex is an interesting guy, but he has been hurt a lot and ruined by Bobby Johnson. But a young vet who would be very cheap and can play guard and center. You could potentially catch lightning here. Nick Gates, who was released by Washington is similar but has more experience. 

Brian Allen is mostly a center only. he is on the smaller side, but a Kromer guy and a former wrestler. He was excellent during their Super Bowl run and you could do a lot worse with a backup center. Another released guy, so no comp pick impact. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

I wonder if Alec Anderson can play guard? Or is he center only? If he's a center only ideally I would love for Anderson to show out at center in the offseason and earn his way into a starting role, then leave McGovern at guard. I'm sure there will be a rookie with a chance to compete for the position too. I just don't want them preemptively giving McGovern the center job. Get the best three IOL on the field in their best possible positions whatever that looks like. I'm surprised how vocal the team is being about handing McGovern the center job.

• Like (+1) 2

Well that settles the concerns of drafting a center high in the draft this year, on to other worries 😂

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s official. Our new center is McGovern.

I'll admit I feel a lot better about him moving to center after reading that.

A lot of people don't realize that center is physically the easiest to play

There are a lot of linemen that are physically able to play the position... It's mentally challenging

So you need to have the a high football IQ to be successful..  but lineman are usually also some of the smartest people on the team

There are so many options to develop an NFL center...

Including taking college tackles who aren't athletic enough to play NFL... There are a lot of options and it's a position that gets groomed

• Thank you (+1) 1