Hospice Nurse shares patients behavior before they pass.

I don’t know what she knew at the time, but my mother-in-law had episodes like this when she was close. It wasn’t a month, or even weeks, but in the final few days she was talking to and about people from her past. 

In high school we read several books about Near Death Experiences, and I’ve read countless books on the topic since. I find it fascinating, and somewhat comforting. There are a LOT of things we cannot begin to understand. 

The people who work in the Hospice field are angels on earth. I don’t think I could do what they do, it takes something special. 

• Like (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

The people who work in the Hospice field are angels on earth. I don’t think I could do what they do, it takes something special. 

1000%. You have to have a huge heart to do it well, and I can only imagine what the process does to someone with a huge heart who has to do the process over and over.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I will always wonder, will you know then you're about to pass?

I can attest to that also. The last few moths of my mother's life, she carried out full conversations with  all of her  deceased siblings  (8), parents,her cousin, who stood up at her wedding, and  my godmother who was her best friend for over 60 years. Even her surviving sibling who was active  and driving until she died about 4 months later.  Usually was about  11 PM.  No, I did not hear their sides of the conversation.

Edited by Wacka

43 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I can attest to that also. The last few moths of my mother's life, she carried out full conversations with  all of her  deceased siblings  (8), parents,her cousin, who stood up at her wedding, and  my godmother who was her best friend for over 60 years. Even her surviving sibling who was active  and driving until she died about 4 months later.  Usually was about  11 PM.  No, I did not hear their sides of the conversation.

This is a beautiful story.  

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

1000%. You have to have a huge heart to do it well, and I can only imagine what the process does to someone with a huge heart who has to do the process over and over.

My wife works in hospice, although not in any capacity that deals directly with patients. I have, however, met lots of the hospice nurses over the years and they fall into 2 categories - newbies that are less than 5 years into it, and folks that have been doing it forever. It's one of those jobs you decide it's not for you and move on to something else, or it's your calling and you're lifer. The people that have been doing it for a long time are unbelievable - they truly have a calling for the work and wouldn't do anything else - really dedicated people who truly believe in the mission of hospice and providing end of life care - they understand the value they provide and that's why they do it, but it's certainly not for everybody.

• Like (+1) 1

had hospice nurses say it is the brain shutting down and evidence goes along with the body fighting to survive going through its memories and inducing a a psychosis that the patients enter to survive the last days trapped in their bodies as their mind struggles to cope. my gramps was in hospice almost 6 months.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a great documentary about life after death.   The last story is about a hospice Doctor who studied patients near death and the visions they experienced.   Some parts of this are a little slow but give it time and definitely watch the last story about the Doctor.  

Edited by Toomstone.Part.Duex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

This is a great documentary about life after death.   The last story is about a hospice Doctor who studied patients near death and the visions they experienced.   Some parts of this are a little slow but give it watch and definitely watch the last story about the Doctor.  

I am watching this tonight!

Hospice nurses are angels of mercy in human flesh. I experienced it through 2 different friends. Unique circumstances . One was breast cancer. The other a very elderly man from my church after a car accident which did caused his eventual demise.

Seeing people close to death was for me torturous. I couldn't stay in the room.Forget ministering to people that sick. 

Death isn't something I personally fear perse. But I hate facing it at the same time if that makes sense. If I were ever in hospice I'd want total pain management and PEACE at the end not a struggle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

A friend that visited  me a few weeks ago after my transplant  had a heart attack just before  Christmas. Hr went back in just after to get a pacemaker. His heart stopped and he hardtop be zapped. He said he had an out of body experience.

A bit off topic, but my mom passed about 3.5 years ago. I don't have any super natural story. She was doing home hospice, and then went into a facility when she could no longer take the pain. She was in a facility for 4 days before she died. This was at The height of covid and Ofcourse they had a bunch of stupid restrictions. The day my mom died (her 4th day) I was there with my dad, wife and my daughter. It was blazing hot out (we could only be inside for a limited time due to restrictions 🙄). My dad decided to go home cuz of the heat and he had basically lived there the past 4 days. Within an hr they called and said my mom passed. It was devastating to my dad that he wasn't there and to this day I absolutely hate it. 53 years they were married and he wasn't there. I apologize, didn't mean to be Debbie downer, and I'm not blaming anyone. The topic just brought up some old feelings. I am very grateful though that me and my wife went in to see her hours before she passed.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Steptide said:

A bit off topic, but my mom passed about 3.5 years ago. I don't have any super natural story. She was doing home hospice, and then went into a facility when she could no longer take the pain. She was in a facility for 4 days before she died. This was at The height of covid and Ofcourse they had a bunch of stupid restrictions. The day my mom died (her 4th day) I was there with my dad, wife and my daughter. It was blazing hot out (we could only be inside for a limited time due to restrictions 🙄). My dad decided to go home cuz of the heat and he had basically lived there the past 4 days. Within an hr they called and said my mom passed. It was devastating to my dad that he wasn't there and to this day I absolutely hate it. 53 years they were married and he wasn't there. I apologize, didn't mean to be Debbie downer, and I'm not blaming anyone. The topic just brought up some old feelings. I am very grateful though that me and my wife went in to see her hours before she passed.

It’s Okay, and he was there for her for 53 years. How we live those years matters far more than the last few moments. They will be together again, but only when it’s time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

I was there when my MIL passed (as well as FIL, but he was on ATC morphine and out of it) at her home.  She was alert until the end but could barely talk.  It was evening and my wife had gone home to get some things so she could spend the night.  My MIL was looking around frantically for her and motioning as if to say where is she, and I told her she'd be back soon, and she was.  Later that night she started to really get agitated and I noticed there was fluid in her tracheostomy stoma.  I kept suctioning it but she was shaking her head as if to get me to stop.  She passed soon after.  I think she knew she was going to die and wanted to make sure my wife was there when it happened and was trying to say goodbye when the moment arrived. 😢

Edited by Doc
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It’s Okay, and he was there for her for 53 years. How we live those years matters far more than the last few moments. They will be together again, but only when it’s time. 

Thanks, ya I agree. Still a tough pill to swallow though 

• Like (+1) 1

There is an excellent book called Embraced by the Light by Betty J Eadie. She tells the story of how she endured the process of dying, but returned from it.

It can very comforting to read about this for family members who have lost someone. It is available in paperback, and you may even find it in a used books store.

Interesting, too, is that she is Catholic, because church teachings never seemed to address any topics about death.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, Augie said:

In high school we read several books about Near Death Experiences, and I’ve read countless books on the topic since. I find it fascinating, and somewhat comforting. There are a LOT of things we cannot begin to understand. 

Who the hell was that with? Mr. Rust?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Who the hell was that with? Mr. Rust?

No, he was psychology, I think. This was with Mr Scott  and the other guy (also an EMT, Mr Ende?) in religion classes. The Christian Brothers taught chemistry and biology while the lay people taught religion, which I always found interesting. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1