CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Man, you just want to convert everyone to positions other than the positions where they've found their footing and success in the NFL today, huh?

It's not about "needing some big guy". It's about where a player plays best.

Over the last number of seasons, Curtis Samuel has had 1042 snaps out of the Slot compared to 370 on the Boundary. He's someone who has burst off the line and gets open quickly in the short and intermediate passing game. He's tailor made there and has become the player he is there.

You don't take a guy who plays less than 40% on the Outside and tell him he lives there now.

You do with his skill set.  Just because a team was stupid enough to put him in a box,doesn't mean we have too.

Bradys offense needs 3-4 guys and a RB who can fit any position on the field at any time.  I wish fans would get this already. 

Imagine a defensive coordinators nightmare not knowing for sure on every play who X,Y or Z really was on any given play.

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Mostly this.  I'm not sure how physical he is to be able to beat the jam, but no CB is pressing him at the line with that speed.

For years Diggs beat the best off the line.  He isn't "big"  or overly fast.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

For years Diggs beat the best off the line.  He isn't "big"  or overly fast.

Yup.  Speed and/or quickness and/or strength make DBs think twice about jamming WRs at the LOS.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You do with his skill set.  Just because a team was stupid enough to put him in a box,doesn't mean we have too.

Bradys offense needs 3-4 guys and a RB who can fit any position on the field at any time.  I wish fans would get this already. 

Imagine a defensive coordinators nightmare not knowing for sure on every play who X,Y or Z really was on any given play.

I don't understand.

On one hand, you're arguing that you put him at the X. On the other you're saying "Imagine a defensive coordinators nightmare not knowing for sure on every play who X,Y or Z really was on any given play".

I'm not advocating you never put him on the Boundary. I'm open to having him there from time to time. I'm simply saying where he's found success in the league is not there full time. You put him where he's succeeded. Samuel full time Outside is a projection and a gamble.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't understand.

On one hand, you're arguing that you put him at the X. On the other you're saying "Imagine a defensive coordinators nightmare not knowing for sure on every play who X,Y or Z really was on any given play".

I'm not advocating you never put him on the Boundary. I'm open to having him there from time to time. I'm simply saying where he's found success in the league is not there full time. You put him where he's succeeded. Samuel full time Outside is a projection and a gamble.

No it's not. Just because Washington were idiots doesn't make it that he is mainly a slot WR.

But I'm done arguing.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't understand.

I asked this, before but do you or anyone else know where Brady played Samuel the majority of the time when they were in Carolina in 2020?  That would be the best predictor. 

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

No it's not. Just because Washington were idiots doesn't make it that he is mainly a slot WR.

But I'm done arguing.

I believe it was posted Samuel played 70%-ish from the slot during his career best year to date, with Joe Brady as his OC in CAR

Curtis Samuel averaged 9.08 mph within the first second of his routes in 2023 (i.e., his "burst"), 3rd-quickest in the NFL (min. 300 routes).

Bills wide receivers averaged a 7.95 mph burst last season, 29th in the NFL (Gabe Davis: 8.25 mph; Stefon Diggs: 7.73 mph).

I am curious of the other receivers we have now. Sorry if this was covered before.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

So 47% of the time outside. No reason it can’t go higher. 

Agreed. In Norv Turner's system in Carolina, before they hired Brady, Samuel was outside more. In 2019 he was only in the slot at a 22% rate, which is less than Stefon Diggs was in the slot this year. So this "Samuel is a slot only" thing is really just one of those PFF made-up recency bias-type things. 

Bottom line, Brady is going to move guys around all over the place and Samuel adds to the pile of playmaking ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

So 47% of the time outside. No reason it can’t go higher. 

It can "go higher" but what he does best is win those short, quick catch and run routes. That is where he will be seen to best effect. You can run some of that from a wide alignment but you are going to run a lot more of it from the slot. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It can "go higher" but what he does best is win those short, quick catch and run routes. That is where he will be seen to best effect. You can run some of that from a wide alignment but you are going to run a lot more of it from the slot. 

Agreed. But I do think it's going to be a mixed bag with Samuel. I think he will move al over the place. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. But I do think it's going to be a mixed bag with Samuel. I think he will move al over the place. 

Yes he will. He isn't a Khalil Shakir who really you can only get value from in the slot. He is more actually of a comparison with the Ladd McConkey conversation we have been having around the draft. He can be a move receiver for you. But he isn't suddenly going to turn in to a vertical threat guy who beats press off the line and gets down the field and wins against physical corners. That isn't who he is. You don't need stats to see that you just need to watch him play. He is going to be most effective in the short and intermediate game and that means he is going to take his share of slot reps. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Samuel is going to have a breakout year. Does anyone know if Allen has met up/work out with Samuel yet? Or are they waiting until ota to get any work done?

Jesus neither are even in the same state right now 🤦🤦🤦