Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Chris Jones is the main reason KC won the SB this year.   

If there is a single player in the league right now that we should consider investing huge $ in, it's him. 

I don't actually expect him to reach Monday unsigned. 

take him out of their defense, they become an above average unit 

He is an absolute dominant monster at key moments in games.

He can be moved all over the DL.  

You can draft young talent on offense.

Mahomes got the MVP because of name value.  But anyone that watched that game knows Chris Jones was the MVP and the main reason they won. 

Everyone is calling it one of the best Super Bowls ever.  No way.  It was a great finish, but that game was absolute trash for almost the first 3 quarters.  And the main reason the Chiefs weren't already out of the game for good was Chris Jones.  He was the most dominant player on the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Mahomes got the MVP because of name value.  But anyone that watched that game knows Chris Jones was the MVP and the main reason they won. 

Everyone is calling it one of the best Super Bowls ever.  No way.  It was a great finish, but that game was absolute trash for almost the first 3 quarters.  And the main reason the Chiefs weren't already out of the game for good was Chris Jones.  He was the most dominant player on the field.

GET HIM. 

Just posting to show an example of how you can sign a big contract with little cap space. Mike Evans $5.5 cap hit in 2024. Big hits later but you get my point. You just better be right and lucky or you end up with a Von Miller cap anchor.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

So the Tre White savings are NOT included in the updates. Correct?

No. And they won't be until June 1st. June 1st savings don't apply to a team's cap until June 1st. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Tuco said:

No. And they won't be until June 1st. June 1st savings don't apply to a team's cap until June 1st. 

Yes, I know with the league it doesn't count till June, I just wanted to make sure the OP's cap update numbers were not counting it either. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Doesn't give effort on every play. Hard pass

I get that side of it and it would certainly be a concern if it were a huge contract/commitment, but we’re talking about a 24 year old with immense physical traits. At one time this guy was up there being compared to as good as (or in some cases maybe better than) the Bosas. You’re right though, if the engine is not always running hot, then those other traits become far less important.  I guess I’m banking on McD’s ability to coach it out of him.  To me, someone worth taking a swing on under the right terms.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

I get that side of it and it would certainly be a concern if it were a huge contract/commitment, but we’re talking about a 24 year old with immense physical traits. At one time this guy was up there being compared to as good as (or in some cases maybe better than) the Bosas. You’re right though, if the engine is not always running hot, then those other traits become far less important.  I guess I’m banking on McD’s ability to coach it out of him.  To me, someone worth taking a swing on under the right terms.

San Francisco couldn't get anything out of him.  

That was during a Super Bowl run, and with the O-Line focusing their blocking on other players like Nick Bosa.

At this point, I just don't think it's going to click for Young.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

A restructure of Dawkins and Allen gets us to 13 mill under the cap.  Not sure what else we really want to mess with after that.

I think that is all the Bills do as they will need not create any down the road headaches.  The only exception may be going after  someone like Floyd for pass rush.  Maybe they do a tiny splash here. Keep in mind they need to be $15-$18MM under the cap soon for rookies and in season signings (injury replacements).

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

San Francisco couldn't get anything out of him.  

That was during a Super Bowl run, and with the O-Line focusing their blocking on other players like Nick Bosa.

At this point, I just don't think it's going to click for Young.

All fair points. Believe me, I realize the arguments against outweigh the fors at this point in his career. Effort is probably the one thing that would likely take him off Beane’s list completely anyhow (see Darcel Mareus). That said, I’m betting on traits here and a max 1-2 year deal for reasonable dough. I’d like our pass rushers to be guys that aren’t 107 years old for what feels like forever. If McD and Babich can’t salvage him, then I agree, just isn’t going to happen for him.

His 7.5 sacks last year, while not great, would’ve been third on the team behind Floyd and Oliver and one above Epenesa. All things equal, If I’m choosing between Young and Epenesa, I’d be more inclined to go with the guy with the better physical traits and higher ceiling.

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I said crappy teams have to go to the minor leagues.  How was that wrong?  

I realize there is a difference between a crappy team and salary cap non-compliance, I was just using crappy English soccer teams as an example.

The term clarification isn’t synonymous with wrong. It’s a term that means adding more definition. 😉

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As others have pointed out, the incentive may have been that the Bills told him they would cut him, and his agent told him that his options in free agency would be limited, given the uncertainty about his recovery.  

I haven't read everyone's comments, but if the Bills cut him their Dead Cap would have been astronomical.  I know there are posters who claim it would have been doable, but if what you're saying really happened, I think it would have been a bluff and a bad game of chicken Von and his agent fell for and lost.

I don't think that's what happened, though.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1