Great start to the offseason! Now let's head towards the draft...

I know free agency is about to begin but I'm hoping we do nothing until after the draft...hear me out

Today was a good day. Beane made some tough but needed changes. I loved what Morse, Poyer and Tre brought to the culture of our current team and I wish we could've won a SB with them on the roster (2021, what should've been). Signing Trubisky to be our backup again was a great move and since he was cut nothing hurting those comp numbers. Beane is really going to be working that comp formula to get those extra picks and I love it. The ONLY other guy from our team last year that I'm hoping he brings back is Daquan Jones because I think he'll be affordable (sorry AJ and Floyd but I don't think we're getting a hometown discount for either).

Moving on and to preface my thinking I'll explain my draft strategy going into this unique offseason:

1st - Don't get cute. Draft the premier and loaded talent. It's not a safety or LB draft. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE WR! It's freaking loaded! (i'll send my WR breakdown and rankings later)

2nd - When in doubt always draft the big money positions. These are the positions that you know after that first contract are going to get paid huge (OTs, Dline, WRs, Corners)

3rd - Let the teams with the cap room overspend on free agency early. We aren't in that market and even if we were screw that noise. This isn't a great free agent class for any position we need. BUT it's deep with safety talent. There are so many safeties available and there is no way they all get signed to big contracts early. Safeties don't get paid as much as other positions. We will be sitting pretty after the draft to nab a safety or 2 that hasn't gotten the contract they want but wants to play for a contender

Now to the draft. I'm not going to go deep into where I think a player will land yet because honestly outside of the top guys (Harrison, Odunze, Nabers) no one really knows who will be off the board but because this is such a stacked WR draft that's where my focus is. Josh and everyone in this organization will be happy with this decision next year and years to come I guarantee it.

I'm going to hear it all day about how dumb it is to load up multiple times early at WR but I don't care because it's where the talent is overloaded and it's what we need most to get us a SB title. If I'm Beane I'm sending McD off to a fully paid family vacation the week before and the week during the draft. I'm trusting what this year shows me and what my scouting department has worked the whole year towards. Get your franchise QB some consistent speed, hands and separation.

1st and 2nd round I'm going WR - You're going to get 2 of the following : Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin, Ladd McConkey, AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Keon Coleman, Tez Walker (I think he falls because people think he's raw but dude is going to beast), Ricky Pearsall, Roman Wilson

3rd/4th round - This is where you get the best D lineman available (maybe 2). If a safety they love and think can compete to start is here that's fine as well

5th round (we have THREE) - Like I said earlier go for those premier big money positions; OT, D line, WR (I'd love Luke McCaffrey in this range. You know he'll succeed, He's a McCaffrey and a slot with good hands)

6th round (THREE again) and one 7th rounder - O line and D line baby and here's also where they can get another corner since this regime is awesome at finding a late corner

After the draft we fill the missing holes with one-year contracts to guys who want to win a championship. Go Bills

• Dislike 1

I like multiple WRs, not sure they need to be 1st and 2nd round. You want to fill holes in free agency so you’re not handcuffed in the draft and forcing yourself to picking players for need instead of BPA.

WR is a need and they will be filling that need in the draft, it’s a no brainer.

I would still fill a couple or holes in FA before the draft … Get a S, WR, DE and DT… they won’t necessarily be the top guys, but starter level if need be …  perhaps the likes of Daquan Jones and AJE come back … they won’t be still there after the draft …

They will still have plenty to do in the draft …

Sign Daquan. Let everyone else walk. Give Epenesa a ride to the airport. Sign a safety and another DT in free agency.

Draft WR, Edge,Wr, Safety in the first three rounds. Day 3 start moving up and get a RB, Punter, C, OT, and maybe a QB in no particular order.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Sign Daquan. Let everyone else walk. Said a safety and another DT in free agency.

Draft WR, Edge,Wr, Safety in the first three rounds. Day 3 start moving up and get a RB, Punter, C, OT, and maybe a QB in no particular order.

Good call on RB too. Get a thumper somewhere later in the draft. Would love if Corum fell late but he won’t 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I know free agency is about to begin but I'm hoping we do nothing until after the draft...hear me out

Today was a good day. Beane made some tough but needed changes. I loved what Morse, Poyer and Tre brought to the culture of our current team and I wish we could've won a SB with them on the roster (2021, what should've been). Signing Trubisky to be our backup again was a great move and since he was cut nothing hurting those comp numbers. Beane is really going to be working that comp formula to get those extra picks and I love it. The ONLY other guy from our team last year that I'm hoping he brings back is Daquan Jones because I think he'll be affordable (sorry AJ and Floyd but I don't think we're getting a hometown discount for either).

Moving on and to preface my thinking I'll explain my draft strategy going into this unique offseason:

1st - Don't get cute. Draft the premier and loaded talent. It's not a safety or LB draft. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE WR! It's freaking loaded! (i'll send my WR breakdown and rankings later)

2nd - When in doubt always draft the big money positions. These are the positions that you know after that first contract are going to get paid huge (OTs, Dline, WRs, Corners)

3rd - Let the teams with the cap room overspend on free agency early. We aren't in that market and even if we were screw that noise. This isn't a great free agent class for any position we need. BUT it's deep with safety talent. There are so many safeties available and there is no way they all get signed to big contracts early. Safeties don't get paid as much as other positions. We will be sitting pretty after the draft to nab a safety or 2 that hasn't gotten the contract they want but wants to play for a contender

Now to the draft. I'm not going to go deep into where I think a player will land yet because honestly outside of the top guys (Harrison, Odunze, Nabers) no one really knows who will be off the board but because this is such a stacked WR draft that's where my focus is. Josh and everyone in this organization will be happy with this decision next year and years to come I guarantee it.

I'm going to hear it all day about how dumb it is to load up multiple times early at WR but I don't care because it's where the talent is overloaded and it's what we need most to get us a SB title. If I'm Beane I'm sending McD off to a fully paid family vacation the week before and the week during the draft. I'm trusting what this year shows me and what my scouting department has worked the whole year towards. Get your franchise QB some consistent speed, hands and separation.

1st and 2nd round I'm going WR - You're going to get 2 of the following : Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin, Ladd McConkey, AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Keon Coleman, Tez Walker (I think he falls because people think he's raw but dude is going to beast), Ricky Pearsall, Roman Wilson

3rd/4th round - This is where you get the best D lineman available (maybe 2). If a safety they love and think can compete to start is here that's fine as well

5th round (we have THREE) - Like I said earlier go for those premier big money positions; OT, D line, WR (I'd love Luke McCaffrey in this range. You know he'll succeed, He's a McCaffrey and a slot with good hands)

6th round (THREE again) and one 7th rounder - O line and D line baby and here's also where they can get another corner since this regime is awesome at finding a late corner

After the draft we fill the missing holes with one-year contracts to guys who want to win a championship. Go Bills

It was a great start until they overpaid Rapp and are trying to sign the Garbage man Trubisky btw also bringing back Matt Haack was lazy work by Beane . Great start horrible ending like a bad movie! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

You lost me at “hoping we do nothing until after the draft.” Obviously that isn’t smart or realistic. They already added back Edwards, Haack and Rapp in addition to Trubisky. They are filling starting spots on affordable contracts. The Bills will be active in FA. They’re going to fill multiple spots prior to the draft. They’re positioned now to chase ANYONE that they want. If they want Chris Jones or Christian Wilkins, it is possible. It doesn’t mean that they’ll go crazy but they’ll explore all options to fill out the roster. They aren’t going to wait until the draft, limiting the available player pool.

Depending on what happens in FA, the draft options also change. If the Bills add a few DL and DBs in FA it opens their options. As an example, they COULD trade 28, 3rd, 5th & 2025 1st to move to 9 for Odunze. They’d still have 8 other picks to fill out “depth.” Where that depth is needed depends on FA. They’ll likely need one more “starter” from the draft in round 2 (S or DL that plays a lot of snaps). From there you continue to add to your depth. 

I’ll take a run at a mock offseason. For the purposes of this, I’m extending Dawkins & Taron along with Josh’s restructure. I’m (planning on) leaving Diggs contract alone.

FA: 

- Xavier McKinney (starts next to Rapp)

- Daquan Jones (starts next to Oliver)

- Shaq Lawson (just over vet min)

- D’onte Foreman (just over vet min)

- Yosh Nijman (swing tackle)

- Matakevich (just over vet min)

- Cam Lewis (just over vet min)

Post June 1:

- Marcus Davenport (1 year prove it)

- Michael Thomas (1 year prove it)

Draft:

Pick 9: Rome Odunze (WR) (traded 1st, 3rd, 5th, & 2025 1st).

2nd: Kris Jenkins (DT)

4th: Xavier Thomas (edge)

5th: Jacob Cowing (WR)

5th: Sione Vaki (S)

6th: Frank Gore Jr. (RB)

6th: Matthew Jones (OG)

6th: Sundiata Anderson (edge)

7th: Jowon Briggs (DT)

Way too early 53:

QB (2):

Allen

Trubisky

RB (3):

Cook

Foreman

Gore

FB (1):

Gilliam

TE (3):

Kincaid

Knox

Morris

WR (6):

Diggs

Odunze

Shakir

Thomas

Cowing (returner)

Shorter/Shavers

OL (10):

Dawkins

Edwards

McGovern

Torrence

Brown

Nijman

Anderson

Van Demark

Jones

Doyle

DL (11):

Von

Rousseau

Oliver

Daquan

Jenkins

Davenport

Thomas

Anderson

Briggs

Shaq

Jonathan

LB (5):

Milano

Bernard

Dorian Williams

Spector

Matakevich

DB (9):

Douglas

Benford

Elam

Taron

Rapp

McKinney

Vaki

Cam Lewis

Hamlin

ST (3):

Haack

Bass

Ferguson

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

It was a great start until they overpaid Rapp and are trying to sign the Garbage man Trubisky btw also bringing back Matt Haack was lazy work by Beane . Great start horrible ending like a bad movie! 

I don’t disagree on Haack and Rapp but Trubisky was an awesome backup for us. I’m none of them hurt the comp formula so that’s probably the main reason but Rapp isn’t a very good safety imo. He’s heat seeking missile with no feel for coverage and Haack is just why…

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You lost me at “hoping we do nothing until after the draft.” Obviously that isn’t smart or realistic. They already added back Edwards, Haack and Rapp in addition to Trubisky. They are filling starting spots on affordable contracts. The Bills will be active in FA. They’re going to fill multiple spots prior to the draft. They’re positioned now to chase ANYONE that they want. If they want Chris Jones or Christian Wilkins, it is possible. It doesn’t mean that they’ll go crazy but they’ll explore all options to fill out the roster. They aren’t going to wait until the draft, limiting the available player pool.

Depending on what happens in FA, the draft options also change. If the Bills add a few DL and DBs in FA it opens their options. As an example, they COULD trade 28, 3rd, 5th & 2025 1st to move to 9 for Odunze. They’d still have 8 other picks to fill out “depth.” Where that depth is needed depends on FA. They’ll likely need one more “starter” from the draft in round 2 (S or DL that plays a lot of snaps). From there you continue to add to your depth. 

I’ll take a run at a mock offseason. For the purposes of this, I’m extending Dawkins & Taron along with Josh’s restructure. I’m (planning on) leaving Diggs contract alone.

FA: 

Post June 1:

Draft:

Way too early 53:

QB (2):

Allen

Trubisky

RB (3):

Cook

Foreman

Gore

FB (1):

Gilliam

TE (3):

Kincaid

Knox

Morris

WR (6):

Diggs

Odunze

Shakir

Thomas

Cowing (returner)

Shorter/Shavers

OL (10):

Dawkins

Edwards

McGovern

Torrence

Brown

Nijman

Anderson

Van Demark

Jones

Doyle

DL (11):

Von

Rousseau

Oliver

Daquan

Jenkins

Davenport

Thomas

Anderson

Briggs

Shaq

Jonathan

LB (5):

Milano

Bernard

Dorian Williams

Spector

Matakevich

DB (9):

Douglas

Benford

Elam

Taron

Rapp

McKinney

Vaki

Cam Lewis

Hamlin

ST (3):

Haack

Bass

Ferguson

wow did u put in the work. dont like the trade up but otherwise nice work

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FA: 

Post June 1:

Draft:

Way too early 53:

QB (2):

Allen

Trubisky

RB (3):

Cook

Foreman

Gore

FB (1):

Gilliam

TE (3):

Kincaid

Knox

Morris

WR (6):

Diggs

Odunze

Shakir

Thomas

Cowing (returner)

Shorter/Shavers

OL (10):

Dawkins

Edwards

McGovern

Torrence

Brown

Nijman

Anderson

Van Demark

Jones

Doyle

DL (11):

Von

Rousseau

Oliver

Daquan

Jenkins

Davenport

Thomas

Anderson

Briggs

Shaq

Jonathan

LB (5):

Milano

Bernard

Dorian Williams

Spector

Matakevich

DB (9):

Douglas

Benford

Elam

Taron

Rapp

McKinney

Vaki

Cam Lewis

Hamlin

ST (3):

Haack

Bass

Ferguson

I would be ecstatic if we came away with Odunze!! He’s the most clutch WR in this class imo and the perfect Robin to Josh’s Batman.

Being active after the draft is fine but beforehand I don’t think we need to be players in that. Time to finally build this team long term and invest in Josh… not big splash defensive free agents past their prime. Have confidence in your draft like the lions and chiefs are doing the last few years 

Just now, zevo said:

wow did u put in the work. dont like the trade up but otherwise nice work

Lol, thanks!! I didn’t sleep much last night. With all of the chaos of yesterday, I decided to spend my time awake on the Bills. It took some time!!

The thinking was, “now that the roster is turning over, what’s the best way to allocate resources?” For me, it is, and has been, about surrounding Josh with what he needs. The Morse move was surprising but they should still be “good” on the OL. His weapons, in this scenario, would be BY FAR, the best that he’s ever had. If Odunze is the guy that I think he can be, he’s a future #1. It allows you future flexibility with Diggs (should you want/need it). Thomas is a slant guy, that is dangerous in the red zone. Health/attitude can be concerns but he might help you when it matters.

The defense may not even take a step back but they’ll be different. Rapp and McKinney have different skills. Hyde and Poyer were interchangeable in a lot of ways (and really smart). The disguising and communication in the back will be different. The LBs will be dynamic. The DL actually is better in this scenario IMO. I expect them to rotate a little less than they have but it makes more sense to have rotational DTs on rookie deals than Settle/Poona contracts. 

7 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I would be ecstatic if we came away with Odunze!! He’s the most clutch WR in this class imo and the perfect Robin to Josh’s Batman.

Being active after the draft is fine but beforehand I don’t think we need to be players in that. Time to finally build this team long term and invest in Josh… not big splash defensive free agents past their prime. Have confidence in your draft like the lions and chiefs are doing the last few years 

You can’t go into the draft with $40Mish of cap space and a zillion holes. You have to fill some now. It’s just not feasible to have 40 open roster spots and wait for the draft. They’ll be very active next week but disciplined. I think Daquan Jones gets done before FA starts. McKinney is my big target early. Here is a contract prediction for him: https://atozsports.com/new-york-giants/projecting-xavier-mckinney-contract-2024-nfl-free-agency/#gid=ci02d4d607f00025fb&pid=usatsi_22204142

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, thanks!! I didn’t sleep much last night. With all of the chaos of yesterday, I decided to spend my time awake on the Bills. It took some time!!

The thinking was, “now that the roster is turning over, what’s the best way to allocate resources?” For me, it is, and has been, about surrounding Josh with what he needs. The Morse move was surprising but they should still be “good” on the OL. His weapons, in this scenario, would be BY FAR, the best that he’s ever had. If Odunze is the guy that I think he can be, he’s a future #1. It allows you future flexibility with Diggs (should you want/need it). Thomas is a slant guy, that is dangerous in the red zone. Health/attitude can be concerns but he might help you when it matters.

The defense may not even take a step back but they’ll be different. Rapp and McKinney have different skills. Hyde and Poyer were interchangeable in a lot of ways (and really smart). The disguising and communication in the back will be different. The LBs will be dynamic. The DL actually is better in this scenario IMO. I expect them to rotate a little less than they have but it makes more sense to have rotational DTs on rookie deals than Settle/Poona contracts. 

You can’t go into the draft with $40Mish of cap space and a zillion holes. You have to fill some now. It’s just not feasible to have 40 open roster spots and wait for the draft. They’ll be very active next week but disciplined. I think Daquan Jones gets done before FA starts. McKinney is my big target early. Here is a contract prediction for him: https://atozsports.com/new-york-giants/projecting-xavier-mckinney-contract-2024-nfl-free-agency/#gid=ci02d4d607f00025fb&pid=usatsi_22204142

I agree that you did good making calculated free agent moves and I think we’re basically on the same page I just wouldn’t have invested in McKinney.

I stated Daquan was the guy I would resign. We don’t have a “zillion” open holes. We have a couple holes on the D line and at Safety. This is where you go into the draft first. Then after the missile fill with one year contracts like we did last year getting Floyd. So, no we don’t need to be “very active” in free agency early on and with the way you went about your scenario, you weren’t “very active” early on either. You resigned players like Lawson, Lewis and Jones who don’t hurt the comp pick strategy so good on you.

I’d be ecstatic if we got Odunze and Jenkins first 2 rounds so good on you there. Even though we don’t agree on the players you drafted after round 2, I do like the positions you selected.

Now back to your big free agent move pre-draft: McKinney feels like he’ll be expensive and I don’t think he’s worth a big contract. I’d rather wait until after the draft and sign a cheaper deal for Curl or Gardner Johnson (both I think compliment Rapps short comings in coverage). Safety is not an area we need to spend big money as we have a track record of being able to develop and get the most out of our DBs (Elam aside)

Michael Thomas seems washed but if we get even 60% of what he was I’m fine throwing him a 1 year prove it deal although I’d rather just go 3 deep at WR in this epic draft

I also like Foreman on a cheap deal if we can’t get a pounder like Corum in the draft 

All in all, I like the way you’re thinking because you’re investing in Josh Allen, trying to get him some actual impact receivers.

9 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree that you did good making calculated free agent moves and I think we’re basically on the same page I just wouldn’t have invested in McKinney.

I stated Daquan was the guy I would resign. We don’t have a “zillion” open holes. We have a couple holes on the D line and at Safety. This is where you go into the draft first. Then after the missile fill with one year contracts like we did last year getting Floyd. So, no we don’t need to be “very active” in free agency early on and with the way you went about your scenario, you weren’t “very active” early on either. You resigned players like Lawson, Lewis and Jones who don’t hurt the comp pick strategy so good on you.

I’d be ecstatic if we got Odunze and Jenkins first 2 rounds so good on you there. Even though we don’t agree on the players you drafted after round 2, I do like the positions you selected.

Now back to your big free agent move pre-draft: McKinney feels like he’ll be expensive and I don’t think he’s worth a big contract. I’d rather wait until after the draft and sign a cheaper deal for Curl or Gardner Johnson (both I think compliment Rapps short comings in coverage). Safety is not an area we need to spend big money as we have a track record of being able to develop and get the most out of our DBs (Elam aside)

Michael Thomas seems washed but if we get even 60% of what he was I’m fine throwing him a 1 year prove it deal although I’d rather just go 3 deep at WR in this epic draft

I also like Foreman on a cheap deal if we can’t get a pounder like Corum in the draft 

All in all, I like the way you’re thinking because you’re investing in Josh Allen, trying to get him some actual impact receivers.

I think that the Bills have like 50 guys currently on the 90 man roster. You can’t go to the draft, even with 11 picks, and fill 40 spots. You probably need to add 20 guys between now and the draft (at LEAST 15). Even if you use all 11 picks, that is still 9 guys that you need to sign in that post draft, late free agency period. It’s just math. 

Some of those guys will be cheap, back of the roster types (like Cam Lewis for example in my scenario). You are also going to try to find some guys that can start or play at least half of the snaps. In my scenario it’s McKinney because I think he’s an elite cover guy. If you like Curl I get it. CGJ is washed but fine. Either way, you aren’t going to be stuck needing to add 29 guys after the draft, choosing only from, whatever is left in FA. 

We are in complete agreement that arming Josh is most important.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

With all the moves yesterday, I wonder if the Bills take a WR at 28. We all know it's important to build around Josh and to give him another weapon at WR is a must. Diggs is 30 and will turn 31 during the season. But with the moves Beane made yesterday I could see CB or S at 28 with both Poyer and Tre released. This is a deep draft for WR's according to the "experts" so a WR taken in Rd 2 wouldn't surprise me.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

With all the moves yesterday, I wonder if the Bills take a WR at 28. We all know it's important to build around Josh and to give him another weapon at WR is a must. Diggs is 30 and will turn 31 during the season. But with the moves Beane made yesterday I could see CB or S at 28 with both Poyer and Tre released. This is a deep draft for WR's according to the "experts" so a WR taken in Rd 2 wouldn't surprise me.

There is not a safety worth taking a 28

We have two legitimate starting corners and a first round pick that they’re trying to salvage they no doubt we’ll take a corner and a safety in this draft but it won’t be at 28

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the Bills have like 50 guys currently on the 90 man roster. You can’t go to the draft, even with 11 picks, and fill 40 spots. You probably need to add 20 guys between now and the draft (at LEAST 15). Even if you use all 11 picks, that is still 9 guys that you need to sign in that post draft, late free agency period. It’s just math. 

Some of those guys will be cheap, back of the roster types (like Cam Lewis for example in my scenario). You are also going to try to find some guys that can start or play at least half of the snaps. In my scenario it’s McKinney because I think he’s an elite cover guy. If you like Curl I get it. CGJ is washed but fine. Either way, you aren’t going to be stuck needing to add 29 guys after the draft, choosing only from, whatever is left in FA. 

We are in complete agreement that arming Josh is most important.

I think you’re overshooting how much we need pre draft. Your example shows a less active approach. A lot of the backend of the 90 man roster comes after the draft with undrafted free agents and free agents that haven’t signed a deal yet post draft. The bills are a team that over the last few years have had to cut guys they’ve drafted because we paid so much in free agency for “washed” older vets. I don’t want us spinning are wheels again. Let’s stick to the youth movement we’ve got going no reason to have our 10th D lineman be another Poona Ford and let our 6th and 7th round picks get released to some other teams active roster 

and CJG is not washed. He’s been injured but still very young and will be very cheap imo because of the injury history. He also can play free safety and nickel so the versatility is money. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is not a safety worth taking a 28

We have two legitimate starting corners and a first round pick that they’re trying to salvage they no doubt we’ll take a corner and a safety in this draft but it won’t be at 28

Agree. I still hope they take a WR at 28 but you know how McDermott and Beane love to build around the defense. Although Beane did take Kincaid in the first-round last year so maybe their philosophy is changing.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I just don’t see it. I see. This as further validation that it is a philosophy change. We aren’t going to be allocating solid resources to rotational guys. CB certainly isn’t an option because you don’t have a starting spot available and you traded up in the 1st, 2 years ago for your 4th CB. S just isn’t impactful enough to wait on WR. You’ll likely sign the 2nd starter there next week. 

The philosophy is let’s win with Josh. Until Kincaid, the only 1st round pass catcher to catch a pass from Allen was Kelvin Benjamin. Let’s load up around him to make the strength of this team stronger. The goal is no longer to keep the game close with KC and to try to have the ball last to win. The goal now is to have the most explosive offense in football and see if they can keep up with you. The Bills want to be be the aggressor, not react and adjust to the aggressor. WR2 is the top priority and it isn’t even close. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t see it. I see. This as further validation that it is a philosophy change. We aren’t going to be allocating solid resources to rotational guys. CB certainly isn’t an option because you don’t have a starting spot available and you traded up in the 1st, 2 years ago for your 4th CB. S just isn’t impactful enough to wait on WR. You’ll likely sign the 2nd starter there next week. 

The philosophy is let’s win with Josh. Until Kincaid, the only 1st round pass catcher to catch a pass from Allen was Kelvin Benjamin. Let’s load up around him to make the strength of this team stronger. The goal is no longer to keep the game close with KC and to try to have the ball last to win. The goal now is to have the most explosive offense in football and see if they can keep up with you. The Bills want to be be the aggressor, not react and adjust to the aggressor. WR2 is the top priority and it isn’t even close. 

I agree with you. I hope they continue to build around Allen. Kincaid is a nice start, but they need another weapon at WR especially with Diggs turning 31 this upcoming season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I think you’re overshooting how much we need pre draft. Your example shows a less active approach. A lot of the backend of the 90 man roster comes after the draft with undrafted free agents and free agents that haven’t signed a deal yet post draft. The bills are a team that over the last few years have had to cut guys they’ve drafted because we paid so much in free agency for “washed” older vets. I don’t want us spinning are wheels again. Let’s stick to the youth movement we’ve got going no reason to have our 10th D lineman be another Poona Ford and let our 6th and 7th round picks get released to some other teams active roster 

and CJG is not washed. He’s been injured but still very young and will be very cheap imo because of the injury history. He also can play free safety and nickel so the versatility is money. 

I’m not overshooting. It’s math. If you add 20 guys between late FA and UDFAs (which would be a TON) you still need to add 10 pre draft.

Of the 50 guys currently on the roster, that already accounts for a whole bunch of camp fodder. 

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Agree. I still hope they take a WR at 28 but you know how McDermott and Beane love to build around the defense. Although Beane did take Kincaid in the first-round last year so maybe their philosophy is changing.

We have 11 pics in this draft there are going to be some guys in the high second they can fill the bill at wide receiver if they decide to go defensive line at 28

I don’t know if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to actually trade out of 28 to the top of the second round take either defense lineman, or a wide receiver and then depending on who you take trade back up into the second and take the defensive lineman, or wide receiver, that you didn’t with your first second round pick 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We have 11 pics in this draft there are going to be some guys in the high second they can fill the bill at wide receiver if they decide to go defensive line at 28

I don’t know if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to actually trade out of 28 to the top of the second round take either defense lineman, or a wide receiver and then depending on who you take trade back up into the second and take the defensive lineman, or wide receiver, that you didn’t with your first second round pick 

Good point and Beane has shown he is not afraid to make trades on draft night. He traded up for Allen and Edmunds too if I remember correctly. Also, we have to see how FA plays out. If Allen restructures maybe the Bills can sign a quality FA or two.

Edited by Gregg

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not overshooting. It’s math. If you add 20 guys between late FA and UDFAs (which would be a TON) you still need to add 10 pre draft.

Of the 50 guys currently on the roster, that already accounts for a whole bunch of camp fodder. 

I’m not saying your math is wrong. I understand how math works believe it or not lol. I’m saying your approach is wrong. And honestly from your example I don’t know why you’re fighting me so hard on this lol. You have us taking 7 players pre draft not 10, not 20 so you’re more on my side than you’re acting. Those veteran minimum guys you signed pre draft could be had after the draft too. No reason to jump in so quickly in free agency is my point. It’s gotten us in trouble in the past and I think Beane would finally like to keep some of his late draft picks from now on

5 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m not saying your math is wrong. I understand how math works believe it or not lol. I’m saying your approach is wrong. And honestly from your example I don’t know why you’re fighting me so hard on this lol. You have us taking 7 players pre draft not 10, not 20 so you’re more on my side than you’re acting. Those veteran minimum guys you signed pre draft could be had after the draft too. No reason to jump in so quickly in free agency is my point. It’s gotten us in trouble in the past and I think Beane would finally like to keep some of his late draft picks from now on

I’m sorry if it’s coming off as challenging. We are actually in agreement on most of this. A lot of guys will be added post draft. 

Where we differ is “jumping in.” The Bills aren’t going to sit out and let the market settle before trying to address holes. They are going to be targeted and thoughtful with their budget. If As an example, if McKinney is their target, and that contract from above is where they’re comfortable, they’ll get that on the table ASAP. If he commands more than where they’re comfortable, they’ll walk away. That’s the difference in what we are saying. They aren’t going to wait for it to settle; they are going to be aggressive while sticking to a budget.

They aren’t going to let guys that they want go off the board without taking a shot.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m sorry if it’s coming off as challenging. We are actually in agreement on most of this. A lot of guys will be added post draft. 

Where we differ is “jumping in.” The Bills aren’t going to sit out and let the market settle before trying to address holes. They are going to be targeted and thoughtful with their budget. If As an example, if McKinney is their target, and that contract from above is where they’re comfortable, they’ll get that on the table ASAP. If he commands more than where they’re comfortable, they’ll walk away. That’s the difference in what we are saying. They aren’t going to wait for it to settle; they are going to be aggressive while sticking to a budget.

If they have a target or 2 they really need pre-draft that’s fine if it’s at a reasonable price. I don’t think we need to do anything splashy because the splashiness is what got us in this cap hell in the first place. 

Beane is a master of wheeling and dealing I just think this is an offseason he needs to sit on his hands a little more than usual and trust his scouting department for the draft. 

What I don’t want to happen is McClappy to get his way again and we spend a lot on a pass rusher or for the FO to be like “look bills fans here’s Derek Henry or Hollywood Brown” now be distracted while we bypass all this amazing WR talent in the draft to get younger on defense for McDoucher lol…the ol misdirection magic trick “ooh how pretty, hey wait a second wasn’t this a good WR draft, what happened?”

I don't see the Bills going WR in the first two rounds.  I believe they will take one in one of the first two rounds.  It will depend on who is available when they pick.  Many of us have forgotten that they signed Hamler to a futures contract.  He could already be the second guy that they need to add.  If an good edge guy falls in the range of 28, don't be surprised if they pick him.  Pass rushers are less available in this draft than d-tackles and other positions of need.

Just like Beane's previous years in Buffalo, his free agency moves tell us a lot about his approach in the draft.

• Disagree 1

Personally, I don't agree at all about waiting for free agents after the draft. I feel like we need to go into the draft without any glaring holes so we don't have to over draft any players or get other teams jumping over us for the obvious players we would be going for to fill said roster holes.

That said, we don't have to go after the top name players to get solid roster players, and we all know Beane won't over pay market value on mid-tier players. 

That way we can just go bpa and based on where we are drafting and projected boards that is likely wr in round 1. I also do not feel we need to draft a second wr that early though do agree about dipping back in and drafting a second wr in the 4th or 5th round. This guy will be a depth player who can play special teams and develop. Much like shorter will be after missing last year. In free agency I would at minimum pick up two vet dts hopefully one of them Daquan Jones and another a run stuffing dt, a vet rb for short yard/ redzone goal line situations, and a vet DE for rotation (two if we don't resign Epenesa). The DE's because DE's take time to develop and I would rather have a solid DE rotation we know is reliable rather than relying on a weaker DE class.  

In the second I would draft the best C/G available (if any fall to us worthwhile like last year)  for competition with Edwards and/or McGovern starting spots. Obviously if the player wins out at center slide mcgovern back over to guard. If there aren't any guard/ C that are worth a second round pick by the time we select I'd draft Safety as I do not agree with your assessment that this is a weak safety draft. I think there are quite a few good safety prospects who should be available at that 2nd round or third round selection position. 

Personally, I would sign a safety in free agency to start and draft two young safeties one earlier in the second or third round if we go G/C in the second and then double dip in a later round for competition at both safety spots as well as special teams depth. 

In the later rounds if we keep all our 11 picks (which is doubtful) I would go bpa while focusing on third rb, cb depth, the safety, a tackle for the oline competition, DT depth, the previously mentioned safety depth player, and the final picks bpa whatever position.

I don’t disagree on Haack and Rapp but Trubisky was an awesome backup for us. I’m none of them hurt the comp formula so that’s probably the main reason but Rapp isn’t a very good safety imo. He’s heat seeking missile with no feel for coverage and Haack is just why…

To me Trubisky is also just why! 😂

1st: Trade 2024 1st with Arizona for a 2024 2 (pick 35) and a 2025  2/3

2nd: DT Sweat  Tx, WR Legette SC

3rd:  WR  Wilson Fla St

4th:  LB Ford Tx

Edited by 27yanks

Great start?  We've lost a bunch of starters and contributors, signed a backup QB, and restructured some contracts to keep a couple of guys without emptying the bank.  Objectively, not a great start.  

But I get the point.  Given the circumstances that he himself created, Beane seems to be doing a good job managing the cap challenges.   

• Vomit 1

7 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Agreed. I would like to see them wait out on all of those signings. None scream of better get that guy before someone else does. Rapp looks overpay unless the report is greatly exaggerated. No way he should have gotten 3/$15M. 

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Great start?  We've lost a bunch of starters and contributors, signed a backup QB, and restructured some contracts to keep a couple of guys without emptying the bank.  Objectively, not a great start.  

But I get the point.  Given the circumstances that he himself created, Beane seems to be doing a good job managing the cap challenges.   

Yes - weird use of "great start". Did some obvious things (Harty, Hines, Bates, Douglas, Miller), some tough things (Morse, White, Poyer) and some "what" things (Rapp, Haack, Trubisky).