Morse Released

On 3/6/2024 at 4:11 PM, Iraq Vet said:

I love this.... We were getting old and slow.... Poyer gone, Neal gone, Hines gone, Hyde gone, Morris gone... don't drag it out. Rip the band aid off NOW!!!!  Clean up the cap NOW.  We are old and slow in safeties.   This does not mean these guys are not in our hearts forever... but we need to get aggressive to clean up the cap.... Constant restructure and extensions will have to come due eventually. 

Sorry, but we have ton of draft pics and we were quite old.  Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Smith (among others) were all getting old and expensive so over 2 years we got rid of them all.  We have been through this before... except Josh is still here with a top flight TE, WR, RB, 2 LBs and a solid OL.... all in or near their prime....  and Josh is not Todd Collins.    This is going to be painful, maybe only 10 wins this year... but worth it!  Because in 2025 we can reload completely.  You cant keep playing the cap game.... you have to get younger and faster.... 

Re-signed TE Quintin Morris to a one-year contract.

IMO it was not the age but cost of contracts - when you have a Josh Allen on contract you need to find way to save money elsewhere.

Maybe you meant Morse.

For years the *Patriots were praised for getting rid of guys one year too early instead of one year too late.  I hope Mitch is successful and healthy.  But I also think moving on is the right thing to do.  Time to get younger.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

For years the *Patriots were praised for getting rid of guys one year too early instead of one year too late.  I hope Mitch is successful and healthy.  But I also think moving on is the right thing to do.  Time to get younger.

This is definitely true with all the other cuts.   Morse is the only real surprise especially after trading Bates.  There were plenty of teams that would have killed for offensive line depth last year and putting someone in with very little experience at center is very risky.   

8 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

This is definitely true with all the other cuts.   Morse is the only real surprise especially after trading Bates.  There were plenty of teams that would have killed for offensive line depth last year and putting someone in with very little experience at center is very risky.   

Don't worry our generational talented QB has a new Center who played 100 snaps at Center while in Dallas.  Allen is in great hands.  And, don’t tell me there wasn’t anyway Beane could have found a way to keep a team Captain who said as he cleaned out his locker that he wanted to come back.  Makes you wonder what he’d have taken.  Especially when you throw Trubisky a nice back-up QB contract—maybe we’re planning for an OL breakdown next season.

4 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Don't worry our generational talented QB has a new Center who played 100 snaps at Center while in Dallas.  Allen is in great hands.  And, don’t tell me there wasn’t anyway Beane could have found a way to keep a team Captain who said as he cleaned out his locker that he wanted to come back.  Makes you wonder what he’d have taken.  Especially when you throw Trubisky a nice back-up QB contract—maybe we’re planning for an OL breakdown next season.

If Allen was that concerned he could take a cut, not a restructure, to keep him even if they tried new center.

Trubisky got $5 million for 2 years-I’m guessing that’s one of the lower back up contracts. 

1 minute ago, Punching Bag said:

If Allen was that concerned he could take a cut, not a restructure, to keep him even if they tried new center.

If you’re the franchise QB you don’t take a pay cut. It’s not Allen’s job to figure out the cap and make everything work, that’s Beane and the front office’s job. They are paid a lot of money as well. People need to stop putting the responsibility of the cap on the players

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Trubisky got $5 million for 2 years-I’m guessing that’s one of the lower back up contracts. 

If you’re the franchise QB you don’t take a pay cut. It’s not Allen’s job to figure out the cap and make everything work, that’s Beane and the front office’s job. They are paid a lot of money as well. People need to stop putting the responsibility of the cap on the players

if you want input into team operations you do.

And people are welcome to their own opinions opinion cop.

20 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

There was a time Morse only had 100 snaps at canter. Maybe, just maybe with more snaps McGovern gets good at Center?

3 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Thanks that’s the purpose of this forum, a free and open forum of discussion for fans.  I don’t take it personally.  And, I’m venting.  Sorry if you missed that. 

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

There was a time Morse only had 100 snaps at canter. Maybe, just maybe with more snaps McGovern gets good at Center?

I hope you’re right.  I just get very nervous about having a OL that can protect Josh and last year’s did.  The sting of losing Morse is the only move that I haven’t liked.  But, you’re right.  Kromer has done a great job with the OL so he must have seen something in both McGovern and Edwards.  He’s the expert, I’m just a frustrated fan.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

You absolutely can have your own opinion, not sure why you got so offended.  Josh taking a pay cut is bad business - not just for him but for all of the players.  If he takes a pay cut, what's to stop every team from going to any player and saying they need to take a pay cut as well?  Josh's job is to play QB, it's the front office's job to figure out the contracts.  Does Josh want to give his input?  Of course!  So does Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers (clearly).....pretty much every top QB wants to give their input, doesn't mean they should take less money because of that.  

All I'm saying is let the front office do the job they are paid to do

I hope you’re right.  I just get very nervous about having a OL that can protect Josh and last year’s did.  The sting of losing Morse is the only move that I haven’t liked.  But, you’re right.  Kromer has done a great job with the OL so he must have seen something in both McGovern and Edwards.  He’s the expert, I’m just a frustrated fan.

The concern is understandable.   But McGovern is a bigger, and I presume, stronger guy which might make Josh's protection better.  Connor also has a full year with Kromer, and Josh so he has a feel for what Josh's cadence is.  

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Thanks that’s the purpose of this forum, a free and open forum of discussion for fans.  I don’t take it personally.  And, I’m venting.  Sorry if you missed that. 

In case you did not notice name I am expected to be attacked.  Decided to live with it.

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

I'm thinking they didn't promise Bates the starting center job, so he had enough of being a backup. Someone start looking for second round centers, stat!

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

Interesting that Morse is the only ex-Bill getting immediate interest after the cuts.   Clearly he has value around the league.   I can see the Bills regretting not having Morse around this year.

No it was the smart move,  he is most likely not signing unless he receives around 8-10 in guaranteed money.  He older with a history of concussions,  Bills had to move on.  

9 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

In case you did not notice name I am expected to be attacked.  Decided to live with it.

I guess all of us Bills’ fans have all felt that way over the years.  ☮️ brother, we’re all in this together.