Comp Picks

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The comp pick formula should allow for qualifying offers like baseball does as when it comes to draft picks  I see no problem giving an end of the second round pick for the loss of Edmunds who was the leader of the bills defense for 5 years but the nfl only starts comp picks in the third round. 
Of course depending on what Gabe Davis signs for Bills should get another 3round pick for him next year. 

Well I hope some team is dumb enough to give Gabe 15-20. We need that additional 3rd.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The comp pick formula should allow for qualifying offers like baseball does as when it comes to draft picks  I see no problem giving an end of the second round pick for the loss of Edmunds who was the leader of the bills defense for 5 years but the nfl only starts comp picks in the third round. 
Of course depending on what Gabe Davis signs for Bills should get another 3round pick for him next year. 

That depends, do they replace him?  Do they sign more FAs than they let walk?   There’s a scenario where he could net you a pick, but I kinda doubt it’s a 3rd to be honest.

Speaking of comp picks, if Gabe gets a strong enough payday would we be possibly looking at another 3rd next year? Depending on the players we add, of course, could mean we have that potential pick to play with come draft day to move up if we were so inclined.

49 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Speaking of comp picks, if Gabe gets a strong enough payday would we be possibly looking at another 3rd next year? Depending on the players we add, of course, could mean we have that potential pick to play with come draft day to move up if we were so inclined.

I'd be shocked if he got a contract that would earn enough to get a 3rd. I'd guess a 5th unless some team with a lot of cash overpays for him, then maybe a 4th. 

We should be losing more than we sign especially with 11 draft picks to fill holes on the cheap. I doubt Beane ends up using more than 8 of those picks but that is still a bunch of guys that we can draft and don't need to sign in free agnecy.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You have to have a net loss of qualifying contracts. Non-qualifying very low value contracts don't count. Cincy this year are an example. They were net equal but two of their gains were such low value they don't count in the cancellation process. So they will gain two comps. 

The Bills should be in position for comp picks next year too with Davis, Dodson, AJE and Floyd all potential guys to get decent deals.

Agree on Davis, AJE, and Dodson.

Does Floyd count as a loss? I thought he had a void year, and that might not count as a true free agent loss. 

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so it's more about the salary than what round the player the team lost was drafted in?

It's all about the salary they sign with their new team.  It has nothing to do with where they were drafted in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree on Davis, AJE, and Dodson.

Does Floyd count as a loss? I thought he had a void year, and that might not count as a true free agent loss. 

I think so. He isn't under contract to the Bills they have no rights over him but it is a fair question I am not 100%.

On your Gabe point the thinning of the WR FA class helps us I think. I am thinking he likely gets us a 4th now. Twelve and a half AAV was the range for that last year and that is where I think Gabe lands. $12-14m.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The NFL comp pick formula is very dumb in my opinion but the Bills at the very least got the third for Edmonds

I am pumped about the 3rd round pick for Edmunds.  The best value we got since we drafted him was the 3rd round comp pick for letting him go.  I knew there had to be something good about over drafting Tremaine Edmunds in 2018.  Thank god Beane and the Bills moved on.  Terrell Bernard is such a better fit for our defense.  

43 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It's all about the salary they sign with their new team.  It has nothing to do with where they were drafted in the past. 

OK so we're not getting a 3rd because we lost a 1st rounder in Edmunds, it's completely because of the contract he signed with Bears?

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yes. As long as the void was automatic and not a team or player option. And as long as the contract wasn't renegotiated to move the void to a sooner date, then he does count toward the formula.

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Anyone else notice that the Eagles got a 3d, 3 5ths, and 5 6ths?

Yeah, but because the rules say no more than 4 picks are actually awarded they only get the 3rd and 3 5ths.