Who Would You Trade Up For, And How Far Would You Go Up To Get Them?

H2o

no one- we have Josh-you only trade up for a QB- this is not Madden. let the draft come to us and don't reach or panic BBB.

On 3/3/2024 at 1:48 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Let's not make the same mistake we made on Sammy. Thomas is the only guy I'd trade up 3-4 spots to get.

or Edmunds- we have to get younger and cheaper= more draft picks and not blow our wad on one player.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Who is to say that any of these wide receivers are better better than Gabe Davis

He seems to fit the traits that we are losing with Gabe. He’s a little faster seems to have a little bit better ball skills.

[In my best Chris Rock voice] 

"Ok, I'll say it, I'll say it! Ann-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-ny rookie wide receiver we take in the first or second round will be better than GABE *****-IN' DA-VIS. That's right I said it. Gabe is a good guy, I will give you that, and he's made a few highlight plays, I'll give you that, but why do we have to pay him like a star? Is it his birthday or something?"

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, P51 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-combine-results-wr-measurements-40-yard-dash-winners-losers-as-xavier-worthy-breaks-combine-record/

5'11'' 165

Do you think he can fill the void of being a #2 for the Bills?

Does not seem to be a good outlook and track record for guys being drafted that light from what I have read and the information I have looked at. 

I do think he can be a WR2, but I am not as hung up on WR2 vs. WR3 and X vs Y vs Z for the position as others. I think he can come in and be as productive as Zay Flowers (5’9”, 182 lbs, 4.42 at Combine).

I see him as just needing to put on 5-10 pounds over his first couple seasons.

Marquise Brown (5’9”, 166 lbs, 4.27 at Pro Day), DeSean Jackson (6’0”, 178 lbs, 4.27 at Combine), and Devonta Smith (6’0”, 175 lbs, 4.54) are also each somewhat comparable.

Plus the college production is there.

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

One of the issues to bear in mind is that most teams know we're looking hard at WR in the 1st round, so if any of those 2nd-tier guys slip into the 20s, other interested teams will be looking to leapfrog us. Thinking any of them would drop to us at 28 is probably a very risky move.

That's why I agree with @Alphadawg7 that if any of them make it to the 20s, we'll probably make a small move up to get one of them.

While I do agree with you about moving up once we get into the 20's, I wouldn't say "any" of them though.  I think the players Beane would go up are a lot less some of the players being mentioned.  For example Legette and Worthy.  I just don't see either being the kind of WR that Beane would move up for in this draft.  

I think there are 5 WR's that Beane would make a move up to get in this draft, and the kind of move up is probably within the 20's still so it is not too costly.  Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, and Mitchell.  I highly doubt any of the big 3 get close enough to where Beane would pull the trigger and move up.  Unless something kind of crazy happens and Worthy somehow leap frogs one of the big 3 after his crazy 40 time and it surprisingly pushes one of them down to striking distance for Beane who would probably pay a little more to go up and get one of them.   

So I think that leaves really Thomas and Mitchell as the kind of WR I think Beane would pull the trigger to go get in a small trade up.  I don't think he would do it for Worthy, just do not think he is a good fit here or what Beane is looking for as his frame is just too small despite being 6'1".  Maybe he would for McConkey, depends who you ask though as where people grade him seems to vary some from person to person.  I am one that is very high on McConkey, before the combine I had him as the 5th WR on my board.  Now I have him and Mitchell kind of tied for 5th.  I think he has the highest floor while still possessing one of the highest ceilings, and his game and style would help Josh a lot IMHO.  

There is a chance that all 5 of the big 3 with Thomas and Mitchell are gone before we pick, which then makes me think Beane stays put at 28 and either takes next WR or another position if someone they love gets pushed down thanks to the QB and WR runs, or maybe even makes a small trade back to pickup an extra 3rd or something in this draft.  

BUT:  I do expect Beane to be aggressive on getting a guy he covets, so my way too early prediction is we make a small trade up to get either Thomas or Mitchell...or in an extremely surprising case of Worthy going before all the big 3 are gone, going up and getting one of the big 3 if they get near that 20th pick range. 

• Like (+1) 1

I loathe the trading up for the earlier pick in the first. Its always a no win and argumentative situation for years and years and years from Us

so no

and no

Unless its a really sure fire lock as a decades long Pro bowl, game changing , Elite for the life of his contract and lifts the boat for the team kinda player ? Then i am all in.

But to be straight . I want more picks in the second and third rounds than i want to reach in the first. Its just not wise

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I do agree with you about moving up once we get into the 20's, I wouldn't say "any" of them though.  I think the players Beane would go up are a lot less some of the players being mentioned.  For example Legette and Worthy.  I just don't see either being the kind of WR that Beane would move up for in this draft.  

I think there are 5 WR's that Beane would make a move up to get in this draft, and the kind of move up is probably within the 20's still so it is not too costly.  Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, and Mitchell.  I highly doubt any of the big 3 get close enough to where Beane would pull the trigger and move up.  Unless something kind of crazy happens and Worthy somehow leap frogs one of the big 3 after his crazy 40 time and it surprisingly pushes one of them down to striking distance for Beane who would probably pay a little more to go up and get one of them.   

So I think that leaves really Thomas and Mitchell as the kind of WR I think Beane would pull the trigger to go get in a small trade up.  I don't think he would do it for Worthy, just do not think he is a good fit here or what Beane is looking for as his frame is just too small despite being 6'1".  Maybe he would for McConkey, depends who you ask though as where people grade him seems to vary some from person to person.  I am one that is very high on McConkey, before the combine I had him as the 5th WR on my board.  Now I have him and Mitchell kind of tied for 5th.  I think he has the highest floor while still possessing one of the highest ceilings, and his game and style would help Josh a lot IMHO.  

There is a chance that all 5 of the big 3 with Thomas and Mitchell are gone before we pick, which then makes me think Beane stays put at 28 and either takes next WR or another position if someone they love gets pushed down thanks to the QB and WR runs, or maybe even makes a small trade back to pickup an extra 3rd or something in this draft.  

BUT:  I do expect Beane to be aggressive on getting a guy he covets, so my way too early prediction is we make a small trade up to get either Thomas or Mitchell...or in an extremely surprising case of Worthy going before all the big 3 are gone, going up and getting one of the big 3 if they get near that 20th pick range. 

Covets

Not good.

Tell me about the second round and who would fit at WR.
I do feel we need two. One has to play outside and have  a body/frame to replace Davis. and we need speed to play day one

Help me get there.

You have studied and as always respect your view. But lets trade for the second round pick(s)  :)

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I meant basically either Thomas or Mitchell as the 2nd tier guys. I agree that Legette and Worthy are tougher to envision being in that group, and that Beane would probably only take them if they drop down to him at 28—unless there's someone else he covets who dropped down to him.

If any of the top WRs are there at 20-27, Beane better make a move.  The 20-27 teams (Steelers, Fins, Eagles, Tex, Boys, Pack, Bucs, Cards) have other needs and might be willing to fall back to 28 for a 4th.  Gotta get a Metcalf type.

5 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I do think he can be a WR2, but I am not as hung up on WR2 vs. WR3 and X vs Y vs Z for the position as others. I think he can come in and be as productive as Zay Flowers (5’9”, 182 lbs, 4.42 at Combine).

I see him as just needing to put on 5-10 pounds over his first couple seasons.

Marquise Brown (5’9”, 166 lbs, 4.27 at Pro Day), DeSean Jackson (6’0”, 178 lbs, 4.27 at Combine), and Devonta Smith (6’0”, 175 lbs, 4.54) are also each somewhat comparable.

Plus the college production is there.

The reason Zay was productive as he was he wasn't competing for balls in Baltimore. That's what people fail to look when look at performance.  Most of Gabe's numbers came early before Kincaid became a more focal point of the offense. Zay had 26 more targets but less receiving yards and TDs than Gabe. So how is this an improvement? Toss in he doesn't have the size Gabe has. I'll admit at 28 the guy I like is Legette yet not sure he'll be as good as Gabe last year but he has a bigger upside than Gabe as he's faster.

Edited by The Jokeman

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The reason Zay was productive as he was he wasn't competing for balls in Baltimore. That's what people fail to look when look at performance.  Most of Gabe's numbers came early before Kincaid became a more focal point of the offense. Zay had 26 more targets but less receiving yards and TDs than Gabe. So how is this an improvement? Toss in he doesn't have the size Gabe has. I'll admit at 28 the guy I like is Legette yet not sure he'll be as good as Gabe last year but he has a bigger upside than Gabe as he's faster.

Zay had Andrews as the primary target for a while and he actually had more yards than Davis. Not sure I like Legette at 28 but I do like him as a prospect in general.

On 3/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

This has Sammy Watkins vibes.  We traded up to get Watkins in a WR rich draft, that was a mistake and even though he was the #1 WR prospect that year, he saw guys go after him that dwarfed his on field production.  

There is no one in this draft I would make a big move to get...The ONLY position you do that for is QB.  Any other position is a colossal mistake IMHO.  I could see us moving up to like low 20's or something where the compensation is more reasonable, but only if a guy they covet is there who they have a significantly higher grade on than who might be there at 28.

I think its more likely we stay at 28 and wouldn't even be surprised if we traded back a little bit and picked up some extra draft capital if there was say a handful of guys they liked at 28 still on the board.  

I agree with the comments except you maybe move up for LT, or Edge.  Beyond this, you generally chase fool’s gold.

• Like (+1) 1

Dane Brugler's most recent mock has Buffalo trading with Dallas.  I will just say I am not of fan of UT players.  They all seem like spoiled brats.

24. Buffalo Bills (from DAL)*: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

Projected trade: Bills send No. 28 and No. 99 to the Cowboys for No. 24 and No. 213

I am not 100 percent sold on Mitchell being a culture fit for Buffalo.

General manager Brandon Beane wants super competitive players, and Mitchell showed flashes of that, along with the talent to become a top-15 receiver in the NFL. Based on talent and skill level, Mitchell would be an upgrade at receiver — but how he interviews will determine everything. Beane will never be shy trading up for a player he thinks can be a difference-maker.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I agree with the comments except you maybe move up for LT, or Edge.  Beyond this, you generally chase fool’s gold.

Yeah, I agree that LT and Edge can be guys to make a decent sized move for too...but generally, when you are pick 28 and need to move into say the top 10, I still think that is only for a QB given the cost to make such a big move.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

FWIW  Broncos reporter Albright said Denver may look to trade back from 12

if one of the big 3, or if the bills see it as a big 4 or something, are there at 12, im quite certain that BBB will at least kick the tires on what it would cost.

• Agree 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:41 PM, Rubes said:

Yeah, I meant basically either Thomas or Mitchell as the 2nd tier guys. I agree that Legette and Worthy are tougher to envision being in that group, and that Beane would probably only take them if they drop down to him at 28—unless there's someone else he covets who dropped down to him.

Okay

Not many have read the Bible or perhaps not much of it, Just the good quotes.

But that covet thing is kinda shunned I heard.

and my point about wording  LOL 😇 😄🙄

On 3/5/2024 at 11:50 AM, Sestak4ever said:

I think if Beane makes moves it will be in rounds two or three. If he sees someone dropping in those later rounds that the team covets then I think he will be aggressive.

:)

Beane better be logical and wise.

Not finding hottie he might chase in the draft

and he has done that, also in FA as well

I am all about WR for Josh

Two actually

But dont push for one

Bills have plenty of needs from the draft because we are tight to the cap. Draft well McBeanes

Edited by 3rdand12