State of the Union Address 2024.

12 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Biden has realized that there's no unifying with the party of trump.  He tried on the border issue.   trump shut it down single handedly and cynically.  The only option is to attack him and there are many points of weakness.  He did well.  He was clear and concise.  The strategy is sound.

There's no justification for giving Biden a victory lap for making an attempt to address a problem he created on day one of his administration.  Motivated generally by his dreadful approval ratings on his handling of the issue.  Rather than beat-on Congress, he can issue an executive order(s) consistent with how Trump handled and controlled the border during his term.  What's Joe waiting for?  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Rather than beat-on Congress

uh huh....there's some serious animosity FROM congressional MAGAs.  How's he supposed to respond to that pig MTG?  or the other Jan 6 players there?  They are enemies of the people.  Some voters will never realize that.  They're a waste of time and effort.  The best defense against them is a good offense.  Re the border, Sen Lankford's head nod was affirming for Biden.  In the senate, there are some reasonable R's.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, muppy said:

greetings PPP

I walked in and out of the room where hubby and daughter were intently watching the debate. Randomly I walked by and heard Biden say  something along the lines of we need to pay teachers more. I thought to myself "now that issue is beyond debate right? mutually agreement right?"

NOPE

our country is so divided. My chat buddy @leh-nerd skin-erd knows it gives me high anxiety.  I love my country but the political climate REEKS of hate

and I hate it.

PEACE OUT BRETHREN CITIZENS

Lord have Mercy

I guess the follow up question would be, where? Teachers in NYS average 87k last I knew. A steady climb on that for the last 25 years, whilst student performance continues to decline. 

There’s more to that than teachers though. 

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

How's he supposed to respond to that pig MTG?

If the Dems wanted to create a poster child to represent the crazy opposition they never would've come up with anything as perfect as MTG.

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Sen Lankford's head nod was affirming for Biden

That was just an own goal for the Republicans. 

The Democrats had nothing - nothing! - to fall back on when Republicans called Biden out for his epic immigration policy fail.

Until Trump killed the deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LeviF said:

I guess the follow up question would be, where? Teachers in NYS average 87k last I knew. A steady climb on that for the last 25 years, whilst student performance continues to decline. 

There’s more to that than teachers though. 

on a dollar to dollar comparison of what teachers can make vs what is available in the private sector (especially in fields of science and math as an example) the disparity is quite big.  If you want to attract quality it seems logical you need to pay better. I'm not saying that there are those called aren't to be teachers. as a profession.  I've had some Great ones.   The main gripe I hear is the endless tedious paperwork necessary on top of all the lesson planning/ usual teacher duties

the bolded absolutely.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Poor baby it is what it is

John, do you have anything of substance to add to the conversation?

Personally, I think his speech had nothing to do with making the country better, it was a great big political add. Nothing sells better to dem and undecided voters than "let somebody else pay for it".

It was kind of funny how he was complaining about rich folks not paying their share of taxes when his son was indicted for not even paying his legally required amount. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

on a dollar to dollar comparison of what teachers can make vs what is available in the private sector (especially in fields of science and math as an example) the disparity is quite big.  If you want to attract quality it seems logical you need to pay better. I'm not saying that there are those called aren't to be teachers. as a profession.  I've had some Great ones.   The main gripe I hear is the endless tedious paperwork necessary on top of all the lesson planning/ usual teacher duties

the bolded absolutely.

This.  I played golf with a guy this week that started off a teacher.  He was also a football coach.  He had to work a night job to ,make ends meet.  He just retired after selling his insurance brokerage that he quit teaching for after only 4 years.

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

the bolded absolutely.

I mean, sometimes. NYS is an outlier but it's the only one I know. Their (and their families') health insurance is paid for, pension, fee-free deferred comp, tenure, etc. are all worth something. But a bachelor's degree only gets you so far (they do need a master's in either education or, if they're a specialized instructor, their specialization) and the same argument is made on behalf of every public servant to justify increasing their pay. Including those in my field, though many of them couldn't find similar total compensation in the private sector as there aren't many analogues, so it tends to fall flat to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

uh huh....there's some serious animosity FROM congressional MAGAs.  How's he supposed to respond to that pig MTG?  or the other Jan 6 players there?  They are enemies of the people.  Some voters will never realize that.  They're a waste of time and effort.  The best defense against them is a good offense.  Re the border, Sen Lankford's head nod was affirming for Biden.  In the senate, there are some reasonable R's.

Of course Lankford did.  He helped create that POS.

53 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That was just an own goal for the Republicans. 

The Democrats had nothing - nothing! - to fall back on when Republicans called Biden out for his epic immigration policy fail.

Until Trump killed the deal. 

No it wasn't.  Again everyone knows that Joke owns the border crisis for all his EOs to undo what Trump did and for denying there was a crisis for 3 years, until the polls started to turn against him.  

• Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, LeviF said:

I mean, sometimes. NYS is an outlier but it's the only one I know. Their (and their families') health insurance is paid for, pension, fee-free deferred comp, tenure, etc. are all worth something. But a bachelor's degree only gets you so far (they do need a master's in either education or, if they're a specialized instructor, their specialization) and the same argument is made on behalf of every public servant to justify increasing their pay. Including those in my field, though many of them couldn't find similar total compensation in the private sector as there aren't many analogues, so it tends to fall flat to me.

And, of course, summers off isn't the worst thing in the world.

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Gutfield is a clown meant to entertain stupid magas.  He's like a monster truck rally with some sleazy political commentary thrown in.  He goes from calling him sleepy Joe to complaining that he's too animated while falsely accusing Biden.  What an ass.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3