Colts to Franchise WR Pittman

BuffaloBillyG

Not a big surprise. Was expecting this if it came to it.

How does this impact the Bills moving forward? IMO it slides a few things around. While Pittman himself wasn't likely in the plans due to cost, it slides another FA WR up the list a bit for teams that did have him (Or Tee Higgins who was also announced as tagged). Thinner pool. 

It also makes it even more unlikely that Gabe Davis has a colder than expected market and does in fact end up signing elsewhere. And with the (IMO) 2 best young WRs out of the FA market it increases Davis's value on the open market. Bigger contract=Better comp pick.  Hopefully, the Buccaneers tag Evans who is likely out of our price range as well to keep Gabe's value moving up.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

32 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Gabe's replacement needs to be a 1st or 2nd rounder then fill in with another WR in the 4th/5th round area and maybe a mid-tier FA

In a perfect world I'd draft Brian Thomas Jr. in Round 1, draft Cornelius Johnson in Round 5 and sign Noah Brown as an UFA to a two-three year deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BBFL said:

So with Pittman gone is the next rumor added to be Mike Evans to the Chiefs?

Evans won't leave TB. And if he does it'll be somewhere who will overpay. If I'm AZ I go hard after him. Evans plus MHJ would be amazing for Murray or whoever is next. 

• Like (+1) 1

I laughed every time someone suggested Pittman leaving Indianapolis. He's a 26 year old star #1 WR, with a good bill of health, that was their Rookie QB's go to guy as he's developing, and Indianapolis is 74m under the cap.

Much like Tee Higgins before Jim, it was a no brainer to me he'd be Franchised.

9 hours ago, Sweats said:

Yep, this adds value to Davis and thus, is better for us in the long run.

In a vacuum, it's good for people who are afraid we'll re-sign Gabe Davis.

But the reality is that anytime a FA WR is taken off the market, it not only drives up Davis' price, it drives up the price of any WR left. This makes guys like Hollywood Brown or Odell Beckham Jr. go from an outside chance to an impossibility as they'll be the top options available and will become too overpaid for our price range. And it may make that next level of guys like Curtis Samuel too expensive as well.

It also makes more teams looking at WR turn to the Draft, which will make it probably impossible for us to get a guy like Brian Thomas Jr. and have to Trade up for the 5th WR off the board instead of them falling to us.

So in the long run, it's not a good thing for us.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I laughed every time someone suggested Pittman leaving Indianapolis. He's a 26 year old star #1 WR, with a good bill of health, that was their Rookie QB's go to guy as he's developing, and Indianapolis is 74m under the cap.

But the reality is that anytime a FA WR is taken off the market, it not only drives up Davis' price, it drives up the price of any WR left. This makes guys like Hollywood Brown or Odell Beckham Jr. go from an outside chance to an impossibility as they'll be the top options available and will become too overpaid for our price range. And it may make that next level of guys like Curtis Samuel too expensive as well.

It also makes more teams looking at WR turn to the Draft, which will make it probably impossible for us to get a guy like Brian Thomas Jr. and have to Trade up for the 5th WR off the board instead of them falling to us.

Honestly, if it makes Beckham and Brown over priced for us, that's a double win as well. Did you see Beckham play last year? Brown has speed but a lot of speed in the draft at a much better price. 

I'd also encourage anyone to keep an open mind about any WR drafted this year. Don't get too attached to that one or 2 certain WR. There's a ton of talent this year and if the consensus 5th or 6th WR is who we take....maybe they fit us better then someone taken higher. Draft is about staying true to YOUR teams rankings. Not Mel Kipers.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:20 AM, mannc said:

Keeps Pittman from going to KC, where he was rumored to be headed.  

Still could happen.

Teams looking to upgrade at WR have to balance the cost of signing an experienced, productive, yet expensive FA, vs drafting one or two of this class's good-looking but cheap rookies.  Considering the cap situation, I think the Bills have no choice but to go with the rookies, and maybe an overlooked and less-expensive veteran, and hope for the best. 

As for Davis, does it really help the Bills if he signs an expensive FA contract elsewhere compared to him signing a less-expensive FA contract elsewhere?  I thought the comp pick formula was based on the original draft position of the player.  Is that incorrect?

16 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Still could happen.

Teams looking to upgrade at WR have to balance the cost of signing an experienced, productive, yet expensive FA, vs drafting one or two of this class's good-looking but cheap rookies.  Considering the cap situation, I think the Bills have no choice but to go with the rookies, and maybe an overlooked and less-expensive veteran, and hope for the best. 

As for Davis, does it really help the Bills if he signs an expensive FA contract elsewhere compared to him signing a less-expensive FA contract elsewhere?  I thought the comp pick formula was based on the original draft position of the player.  Is that incorrect?

KC has Chris Jones to re-sign, Trey Smith on deck, Nick Bolton one deck, Creed Humphrey on deck, and Harrison Butker on deck, They have a lot of $$$ they are about to have to spread around. I can't see them Paying $20M+ to a WR and giving up multiple high end draft picks. 

30 minutes ago, H2o said:

KC has Chris Jones to re-sign, Trey Smith on deck, Nick Bolton one deck, Creed Humphrey on deck, and Harrison Butker on deck, They have a lot of $$$ they are about to have to spread around. I can't see them Paying $20M+ to a WR and giving up multiple high end draft picks. 

I agree.  It would be the direct opposite of their recent approach, i.e., letting Tyreek Hill walk instead of paying him, and trying to fill the gap with draft picks and second tier free agents.

19 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think if they didn't get Anthony Richardson last year, there was a good chance Pittman may have been dealt. But Richardson showed promise when he played and getting rid of your young number 1 guy would be very dumb at this point 

Incredibly bad decision. If I was Pittman, the starting point for any negotiations for a long terms deal are now $22 million a year minus a small amount for security. I don't see where he would have gotten that contract in UFA.  He is a good receiver, but nowhere near a top 5 one

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1