NCAA Considering 14 playoff in 2026

So they haven't tried the 12 game playoff yet and now considering 14, seems odd.

The idea of a 14-team College Football Playoff starting in the 2026 season was discussed at CFP meetings in Dallas on Wednesday, just months before the start of the first season with a 12-team playoff.    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39572477/cfp-officials-discuss-expanding-14-team-playoff-2026

I saw this coming when they first started talking about having a playoff period.

There is never going to a number that will satisfy everybody.

Might as well expand it 64 teams.

College football has lost a vast majority of it's uniqueness that made the sport what is was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

I saw this coming when they first started talking about having a playoff period.

There is never going to a number that will satisfy everybody.

Might as well expand it 64 teams.

College football has lost a vast majority of it's uniqueness that made the sport what is was.

Such as?

It’s good for my UB Bulls football team the more college football playoff teams the better. So we can let the players settle it on the field like NCAA college basketball instead of computers and a television network in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:34 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

NIL and the portal has changed/killed college football for a lot of us. 

It's no longer an amateur sport. 

No it didn’t the players deserve to get paid for putting their body on the line every week. The only thing it hurt was some blue blood schools like Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State’s of the college football world that wanted to keep everything the way it was. With only a select few blue blood football programs playing yearly in a 4 team college football playoff where the players got nothing money wise. Now the college football playoff will be settled on the field like college basketball is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/27/2024 at 11:34 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

It has for me.

This is why I couldn't get into the Coach Prime Colorado Buffaloes. I've understood for a long, long time that there's money under the table for top athletic recruits. But I was kind of able to segment my mind to think of these kids as still somehow representative of the University of Colorado student body, etc. With NIL payments and open transfers, that suspension of disbelief ended. Coach Prime's son driving a Rolls Royce. A flood of transfers coming in a maybe staying for one year, basically one semester of classes, a lot of which are athlete-specific.

This is what happened to me with college basketball and the "one-and-dones." Throwing on a school's jersey for one year, getting a C average in one semester of classes, and then walking away? In what way am I rooting for "Duke" or "North Carolina?" These kids are so obviously ringers that I can no longer buy in to the connection to the school. Why not just watch the NBA. Which is what I now do.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

No it didn’t the players deserve to get paid for putting their body on the line every week. The only thing it hurt was some blue blood schools like Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State’s of the college football world that wanted to keep everything the way it was. With only a select few blue blood football programs playing yearly in a 4 team college football playoff where the players got nothing money wise. Now the college football playoff will be settled on the field like college basketball is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I am trying to figure out if you are delusional or ignorant due to being misinformed.

Have you not been paying attention to what's going on?

It is a massive S*** show at the moment, and none of it is good for UB, the G5 schools, or "college football" in general.

It can be argued college players have it better than the Pros.

NIL contract are 1 year deals, and unfettered free agency from the time they are eligible to play at the college level.

There is no salary cap, and very minimal roster restrictions.

Tennessee and Virginia have sued the NCAA and blocked the NCAA requirement that NIL money cannot be used as a recruitment tool.

The NCAA has recently said there are no longer going to investigate any kind of NIL money allegation.

Expect lots of tampering.

UB does not have the resources to compete in this kind of market and without some kind of parity.

The PAC-12? is gone.

The only option for that conference to survive is to raid the G5 conferences.

The PAC 12 originally had a TV deal offer of $23M per school via Apple.

That was with USC, UCLA, etc.

If the conference does somehow survive, kiss that deal good bye.

There are only 4 Power conferences left, and 1 of them is on shaky ground.

The Big 10 and the SEC have been talking together.

It has been reported, for the CFP expansion to 14 to happen, the SEC and Big 10 want all the guaranteed byes to go to them.

The ACC and Big 12 would be shut out.

And if they don't get it, they are willing to tell the NCAA to go pound sand and will leave.

If the SEC and the BIG 10 leave the NCAA, it will be a massive shake up in all collegiate sports, including Basketball.

I suspect the ACC will implode at that point, and all hell will break loose.

Will the bigger schools in the ACC attempt hook up with either the SEC/Big 10?

Or will they merge with the Big 12 and try to salvage what's left of the NCAA FBS Division?

Heck, will the Big 12 survive?

On 2/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, Mark Vader said:

Such as?

Whether you liked the Bowls or not, they were unique to CF and only at the Div 1-A/FBS level.

No other sport had something similar.

Yes, they became irrelevant once the BCS took hold, but at least they existed as something separate.

The bows are included as part of the CFB playoffs like they mean something.

We had to have playoffs, because that's better.

Until it wasn't "fahr".

And it needed to expanded.

Hell, they couldn't even play 1 postseason with 12 teams before they decided it needed to expand to 14 teams.

The NCAA is now looking at adding a two minute warning and helmet communications just like the NFL.

What's next? 2 feet in for a reception? Pass interference at the spot of the foul?

Can't wait for the halftime shows during the CFB NC game.

Or the reviews of all the commercials.

The money pouring into college football is nuts.

FCS schools signing papers and affidavits saying they meet the requirements to play at the FBS level.

Verification not needed or done.

Why? In hopes for a bigger chunk of the money.

There are very few, if any, restrictions regarding NIL or the portal.

Athletes can now become mercenaries.

Playing for one team this year, another team next year, and yet another team the following year.

As long as the important color is "green", the uniform color is irrelevant, and always correct.

23 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Huh? Speaka-English? 

First off, I never said anything about not giving players money. I don't have an issue with that. Thing is, college kids ALREADY got money (and I'm not talking about their scholarships, which could be worth $500,000). Players got stipends, between $2500 to $5000. Not a ton, but it was something. Now my issue was with not being allowed to work. They should have been allowed to work. 

But now, they allow kids to get money. So there needs to be a cap on that number. Not unlimited amounts and they need to fix the damn portal. That's what's wrong with college football. 

The NIL isn't hurting Ohio State, Alabama, etc. It's hurting the Tulsa's, Texas Tech's, etc. 

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

I am trying to figure out if you are delusional or ignorant due to being misinformed.

Have you not been paying attention to what's going on?

It is a massive S*** show at the moment, and none of it is good for UB, the G5 schools, or "college football" in general.

It can be argued college players have it better than the Pros.

NIL contract are 1 year deals, and unfettered free agency from the time they are eligible to play at the college level.

There is no salary cap, and very minimal roster restrictions.

Tennessee and Virginia have sued the NCAA and blocked the NCAA requirement that NIL money cannot be used as a recruitment tool.

The NCAA has recently said there are no longer going to investigate any kind of NIL money allegation.

Expect lots of tampering.

UB does not have the resources to compete in this kind of market and without some kind of parity.

The PAC-12? is gone.

The only option for that conference to survive is to raid the G5 conferences.

The PAC 12 originally had a TV deal offer of $23M per school via Apple.

That was with USC, UCLA, etc.

If the conference does somehow survive, kiss that deal good bye.

There are only 4 Power conferences left, and 1 of them is on shaky ground.

The Big 10 and the SEC have been talking together.

It has been reported, for the CFP expansion to 14 to happen, the SEC and Big 10 want all the guaranteed byes to go to them.

The ACC and Big 12 would be shut out.

And if they don't get it, they are willing to tell the NCAA to go pound sand and will leave.

If the SEC and the BIG 10 leave the NCAA, it will be a massive shake up in all collegiate sports, including Basketball.

I suspect the ACC will implode at that point, and all hell will break loose.

Will the bigger schools in the ACC attempt hook up with either the SEC/Big 10?

Or will they merge with the Big 12 and try to salvage what's left of the NCAA FBS Division?

Heck, will the Big 12 survive?

Relax UB Bulls and the MAC will be fine and everything will work itself out. Sports are suppose to be fun for the fans. Change happens in sports the Sun is going to come up tomorrow. Again nothing is forever and change happens. Power conference is made up by members of the national media. There was no such thing when I was growing up so I don’t get all caught up on Power conferences it’s totally made up. The PAC 12 breaking up has nothing to do with the MAC. Look at this way it’s just the old territory wrestling system going away in professional wrestling and professional wrestling went on and still does today. I could care less if the ACC collapsed if the conference breaks up it breaks up it has no baring on me as a Buffalo fan or UB Bulls fan. College football will still go on so what if players leave UB Bulls for the Power conference opportunities whatever the MAC can do the same thing to the best FCS conference players. There is basically always a way Pete Lembo isn’t worried he talked about that you lose some good players you go out and find new good players to replace them. Coaches that whine about the system or losing players are excuses for their lack of ability to adapt and should just retire like Jim Boeheim did. It was time when you whine about change it’s time to retire. Ok there are always going to be players that want a full ride to school and everything that comes with it. There are always going to be football coaches that want to be paid $725,000 a year for 5 years which is what UB Bulls paid head coach Pete Lembo. The bottom line all these schools will field football teams if there university chooses to. If you don’t like what is happening don’t go to the college football games no one is forcing you to go.

If you are that against change don’t go to whatever school you root for if you are that unhappy. But the reality is most fans are going to go to the college football games for a fun time to enjoy leisurely time. I went to UB Bulls football games for 30 plus years until my health prevents me today from going to games today as a season ticket holder it doesn’t matter if the UB Bulls sucked for years when they first went to the FBS MAC it’s $125 for the season for 6 home games and free parking 10 minutes from my house. Most UB Bulls fans are going to just go and I would think that applies to the other schools fans. It’s sports entertainment not something serious like one’s health that one should be upset about. Change always happens some good some bad but sports are going on and I don’t see that changing college football will be fine. The Buffalo Sabres have been bad for 13 years for many reasons including economic changes in the NHL but Buffalo Sabres fans still go to games and will continue to go to games because it’s a night out and sports entertainment regardless of the increasing costs to go to NHL hockey games fans still go and will continue to go to games regardless of what the players and coaches make in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

32 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Huh? Speaka-English? 

First off, I never said anything about not giving players money. I don't have an issue with that. Thing is, college kids ALREADY got money (and I'm not talking about their scholarships, which could be worth $500,000). Players got stipends, between $2500 to $5000. Not a ton, but it was something. Now my issue was with not being allowed to work. They should have been allowed to work. 

But now, they allow kids to get money. So there needs to be a cap on that number. Not unlimited amounts and they need to fix the damn portal. That's what's wrong with college football. 

The NIL isn't hurting Ohio State, Alabama, etc. It's hurting the Tulsa's, Texas Tech's, etc. 

I disagree there will always be plenty of players to replace players that left for better NIL opportunities. I have been a Buffalo sports fan for 49 years and counting everyone players, coaches and fans come and go over the years. But everyone no matter who they are is replaceable and the game will continue to evolve and go on long after I am gone as a Buffalo sports fan. Eventually I will be replaced that is part of life. I am sure there were some New York Yankees fans back in the day saying what are the Yankees going to do with no Babe Ruth anymore? The reality Babe Ruth was replaced by the Yankees and carried on without missing Babe Ruth fans still went to Yankees games. So UB Bulls, the MAC and college football will be fine. UB Bulls can be 0-100 record record in the MAC and I am still a fan of the UB Bulls. I still watch the Canisius Golden Griffs basketball team every game yearly and they lose 20 plus games a year because I grew up with Little Three basketball double headers for $5 and free parking at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium as a kid. It makes no difference how bad the Griffs, Niagara Purple Eagles and St Bonaventure Bonnies are yearly it’s sports entertainment and fun. No one basketball program is closing down you either go to the college games and follow or you don’t in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:34 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

it never was. A lot of people make a lot of money off of college football. I don't notice any difference in the games when I watch on Saturdays from  NIL and portal. 

NCAA is dead...

should have been 6.  Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5.  2 Byes. 

or if 8...Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5 and 2 at large bids. 

But now they have gone crazy.

14 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

NCAA is dead...

should have been 6.  Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5.  2 Byes. 

or if 8...Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5 and 2 at large bids. 

I think that with all of these extra games, conference championship games should be eliminated. It is not a popular opinion. 

57 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that with all of these extra games, conference championship games should be eliminated. It is not a popular opinion. 

With the way we're trending - I probably agree, unfortunately ....Personally id like to see the conference championships mean something and be a gate to making the playoffs...

3 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Personally id like to see the conference championships mean something and be a gate to making the playoffs...

This makes sense, it really does, but; it would probably tend to eliminate some superior teams. 

Jmo.

14 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This makes sense, it really does, but; it would probably tend to eliminate some superior teams. 

Jmo.

And the conference championship would be a defacto playoff game. 

On 2/22/2024 at 3:22 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

So they haven't tried the 12 game playoff yet and now considering 14, seems odd.

The idea of a 14-team College Football Playoff starting in the 2026 season was discussed at CFP meetings in Dallas on Wednesday, just months before the start of the first season with a 12-team playoff.    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39572477/cfp-officials-discuss-expanding-14-team-playoff-2026

This doesn’t make sense.  14/2 is 7.  

On 2/22/2024 at 3:22 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

On 2/22/2024 at 6:50 PM, Poleshifter said:

Greed?

Experiment.  They are a university organization. 

On 3/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, JimBob2232 said:

NCAA is dead...

So... just skip the Big XII? 

LOL

• Agree 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:55 AM, Bill from NYC said:

In a few years it will be 64.

As long as they give the G5 (or how ever any non-power conferences there are these days) a couple seats. If I ran things every conference champ would be in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As long as they give the G5 (or how ever any non-power conferences there are these days) a couple seats. If I ran things every conference champ would be in.

I can understand this. I would feel the same way if I didn't care about the quality of the teams.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can understand this. I would feel the same way if I didn't care about the quality of the teams.

There is that argument. And football is not basketball. But part of the appeal of the NCAA basketball tournaments is every team, all 360+ schools, can become national champion. In football it's only 4 schools that are picked by a committee.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There is that argument. And football is not basketball. But part of the appeal of the NCAA basketball tournaments is every team, all 360+ schools, can become national champion. In football it's only 4 schools that are picked by a committee.

True enough, however UMass and University of Texas might not be such a big draw or great game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:35 PM, JimBob2232 said:

NCAA is dead...

The PAC 10 is now the Pac 2 , so we really only have 4 main conferences now