Thoughts on Kyle Shanahan?

Process

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Come on man. Matt Ryan was legit. Definitely a quality starter for a while in the league. 

He was a good player, if you want to say he was better than Jimmy G or Purdy ok, that’s fine.

I was only being half serious, kinda lol, but I stand by my point that he’s gone to 3 super bowls with 3 QBs all of whom will not be sized for a gold jacket.

6 hours ago, pocoboy said:

He completely bungled OT. I think it shows a low IQ guy. These guys are gifted so much talent on their team, and then they don't have the intellectual capacity to conceptualize the strategic differences between the old OT rules and the new playoff OT rules. Also, you have to know your opponent and the time of the game. Both defenses are gassed, your goal has to be score at least 7 (I'd argue if you get the ball first, you should be trying to get 8 and force your opponent to match).

You have to make sure Mahomes isn't getting the ball in a walk-off situation. Because he's shown most of the time to be able to convert it.

The moment SF failed to get a TD and only got the 3, I knew the game was lost.

Why didn't the coach?

I don't get paid as much as he does!

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The moment SF failed to get a TD and only got the 3, I knew the game was lost.

Why didn't the coach?

I don't get paid as much as he does!

Similarly I knew our game was lost when I saw Bass jogging out on the field. Not because I thought he’d miss the kick, but because I knew we had no chance stopping Mahomes with 1:54 left. If McD had that drive to do over again, maybe he goes for it on 4th, bleeds the clock, and plays for a TD or bust. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

The guy gets praised as an offensive genius and rightfully so, but he sure does choke in big games. 

3 superbowls with double digit leads. 3 losses. (2 as HC)

Several examples of players not executing last night, including fumbles and missed passes, so not all coaching. But it starts at the top and Bills fans should know, it's hard to overcome a HC that puts the team in bad spots. 

Questionable calls on multiple key third downs, not prepared at all for KC blitz

Stretch where it seemed like he got away from the run too much

Could have got the ball back before halftime with 50 seconds and 1TO, but elected to let the clock run out

Chose to receive in OT, which is inexcusable IMO. And then made it even worse by kicking the FG instead of going for a TD

Players didn't even know the overtime rules until they saw it on the jumbotron before OT

I think people are being way too critical imo, I realize we're sick of the Chiefs winning SB's and all but the difference of winning dynasties is not only talent but lady luck on your side as well. The ball on the KR hitting the guys foot and the botched XP were the games deciding factors. Until that point the 49ers defense was smothering Mahomes, Kelce was over on the sidelines practically knocking his coach over, they were frustrated and then that happened. Who knows if they make the XP there is no way of telling if Mahomes gets the go ahead TD (it was 4th and goal) and if they dont score they lose the game. It reminded me alot of the Brady lead SB's, when Pete Carroll decided to throw and the 1 inch line instead of running in the TD, maybe not as bad as that obviously but those are the costly mistakes that lose you games.

I thought Purdy played a good game but the real SB MVP should be the Chiefs secondary, the best yardage total by a WR was 49 yards from Aiyuk. I didn't see anything in Shannahan's game that looked like he choked and even the Chiefs WR who caught the TD to win the SB didn't even know he won it all so it's not unprepared but that's just my opinions.

6 hours ago, Process said:

The Chiefs would have gone for 2 if both teams scored a TD. Players confirmed that after the game. 

This could be a smokescreen for future games... But shouldn't be taken lightly. 

WHY kicking off is ALWAYS THE PLAY when winning the OT coin toss!!!  MORE information!

Shanahan is an idiot.

An offensive turnover to start OT puts the game into sudden death immediately!

People who called for McD’s head should also be calling for Shanny to get the axe. Roster is littered with all-pro talent on both sides of the ball, and can’t get it done? 

Meanwhile we knowingly discuss how our defense is ravaged with injury and offense a few pieces short, all navigating through no defensive coordinator and an interim OC. 

I think it’s crazy to think either of these guys would or should be fired because they’ve crapped out in the playoffs. They both consistently find themselves in contention year in and year out. Obviously we all want the Lombardi. However If winning the big one is the only thing that matters, only a few coaches would be considered “good” and still have jobs. 

At the end of the Falcons superbowl loss to NE Shanahan gave the game away by some of the worst, most shortsighted play calling I've ever seen.

4th quarter, maybe 6 minutes left and Freeman had just ripped off a really long run to around the NE 30yd line, the Patriots were on their heels.  Falcons could go up two scores with a FG.   Instead of sticking with the run and pounding the ball, killing clock and most importantly AVOIDING the holding penalty and/or sack, dopey Shanahan pulls a Pete Carrol and decides to drop back and throw.  Twice.   Once there was a holding call and another there was a sack (Chris Long I think).   

Falcons are now effectively out of range, have to punt to Brady, end up losing the game.  A classic example of sacrificing game awareness and being too geeked about the next play.   I felt so bad for Arthur Blank the nicest owner in pro sports, standing on the sidelines with his team about to win a ring and his OC gives the trophy away.

McD and Joe Brady did the same thing to Josh on the KC final drive.  So worried about just scoring they forgot about clock management and keeping Mahomes on the bench, just moving the chains is a far better option.  If Josh hits Shakir we still lose that game because we weren't stopping Mahomes.   

Easy in hindsight, but eventually coaches come to realize this is how you beat HOF quarterbacks, you keep them on the bench, you don't score and say "hey OK defense go out there and stop that guy who just won his 3rd superbowl MVP in 5 years."

It is tough man. He is really really really good. He has certainly blown some moments. 

But the only guys to beat Shanahan in the SB are Belichick and Reid. And the only QB's are Brady and Mahomes. That group of 4 guys will go down as the best QB's and HC's in the history of the NFL. 

That said, it is easy for me to say that. Shanahan isn't my coach or even a coach in my division. Likely frustrating for the 49'er fans. 

At the same time I just don't know who you replace him with who is so much better than Shanny that beating Bill/Brady or Andy/Pat is an absolute slam dunk. 

9 hours ago, Process said:

The guy gets praised as an offensive genius and rightfully so, but he sure does choke in big games. 

3 superbowls with double digit leads. 3 losses. (2 as HC)

Several examples of players not executing last night, including fumbles and missed passes, so not all coaching. But it starts at the top and Bills fans should know, it's hard to overcome a HC that puts the team in bad spots. 

Questionable calls on multiple key third downs, not prepared at all for KC blitz

Stretch where it seemed like he got away from the run too much

Could have got the ball back before halftime with 50 seconds and 1TO, but elected to let the clock run out

Chose to receive in OT, which is inexcusable IMO. And then made it even worse by kicking the FG instead of going for a TD

Players didn't even know the overtime rules until they saw it on the jumbotron before OT

Shanahan is the Buffalo Bills of HC’s…🤣

16 hours ago, Brand J said:

Similarly I knew our game was lost when I saw Bass jogging out on the field. Not because I thought he’d miss the kick, but because I knew we had no chance stopping Mahomes with 1:54 left. If McD had that drive to do over again, maybe he goes for it on 4th, bleeds the clock, and plays for a TD or bust. 

I'm not sure he would. I truly think coaches realize their jobs depend upon ownership's ideals & perceptions. You go for that 4th and fail, the owner can say "Why didn't you take the points???" And in their minds, that gives the owner a chance to consider that fireable.

Even if the owner isn't really like that, conventional wisdom rarely offends the "grrrr me football player" crowd. It's only the ones with a brain who start wondering if there are greater layers of strategy necessary than the 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.