Wrestling and NFL Football Players (McDermott 76-1 as a Wrestler)

CaliBills

i will never understand why wrestling is not more popular in this country.

it was some of the best experiences of my life and some of the hardest accomplishments i've ever done. from training in biddy programs as kid to training at univ of iowa as a teenager - learned A LOT.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

it was some of the best experiences of my life and some of the hardest accomplishments i've ever done. from training in biddy programs as kid to training at univ of iowa as a teenager - learned A LOT.

Agreed and same.  Wrestled and played football.  Loved both but wrestling was what I remember most.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

It is interesting. As a kid I loved basketball, football, and lacrosse but I also played those because my friends did. I remember the wrestling coach was like actively trying to recruit guys because he didn’t even have enough.

It’s probably because it just doesn’t look that cool to the average person, not trying to knock it or anything. 

I wish McD had that type of killer instinct in this game though. 

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

Because it's hard and it's one of those sports you can't hide.  Most people cannot take being smothered and pressured in this country.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It is interesting. As a kid I loved basketball, football, and lacrosse but I also played those because my friends did. I remember the wrestling coach was like actively trying to recruit guys because he didn’t even have enough.

It’s probably because it just doesn’t look that cool to the average person, not trying to knock it or anything. 

I wish McD had that type of killer instinct in this game though. 

this is true. and by reading about it many do not like it because of the exposure of their own flaws and failures. teenagers prefer team sports vs individual sports, especially the demanding ones. wrestling is not a social sport like track and field or cross country. you can't socialize and linger like you can during training in wresling.

it isn't for the faint of heart or someone who is not willing to invest time on and off the mat. to be moderately successful requires discipline in training, diet, and more. that kind of commitment to a hormonal teenager is difficult. i can only imagine what its like for todays generation of candy ass kids.

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

Wrestling is one of the toughest things you can do. Gymnastics is really tough as well believe it or not.  
And I have your answer, all kids in the US think about is money. Get in Baseball, Football, Basketball and make money. I miss the days of old when Athletes bused their butts to represent our country in the Olympics, and of course were rewarded for it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gym class today isn't the wide world of sports menagerie that it once was.  I had wrestling for several weeks in gym from 5th grade to senior year.  The gym teacher did his best to pick a kid of similar weight and you'd go wrestle for a few minutes like gladiators surrounded by your classmates.  I feel like some kids joined wrestling because of the exposure to it in gym class.  

I enjoyed gym class.  Got to play dodgeball, basketball, football, baseball, tennis, field hockey, gymnastics, track, field, square dancing, archery, riflery and bowling all in one action packed year.  

You learned you were good at some things, terrible at others.  

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because it's hard and it's one of those sports you can't hide.  Most people cannot take being smothered and pressured in this country.

yeah...i think there's a level of dedication and discipline that most high school kids didn't want to deal with.  it's a tough sport.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, teef said:

yeah...i think there's a level of dedication and discipline that most high school kids didn't want to deal with.  it's a tough sport.

If you ever see a guy with a beard and no mustache, stay away.  These Dagestan wrestlers are different.  They train like Rocky did before he fought Drago.

It's a pressure pressure environment all the time.  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.