Options for the position coaches that are vacant

Todd Wash is the best DLine coach on the market that I can see but Marcus West is a credible internal candidate for promotion too. For QB coach Frank Reich has been mentioned. I think his route back to a top job is a long one but feels a considerable demotion. Sean Ryan has been mentioned and makes sense too. Shane Bowen is one I'd interview at Linebackers coach. Been the DC in Tennessee the past couple of years, but is a linebacker coach by trade.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Position coaches really mean little to me. It's the Coordinators and McDermott that determine the Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams strategies. A position coach basically just runs guys through individual position drills, gets a little film time, and builds players confidence through rah-rah. I don't think a position coach has a massive impact on player performance, unless they're literally not doing the job.

If you have guys consistently misplaying their technique that is a position coach issue. So it can have an inlfuence.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you have guys consistently misplaying their technique that is a position coach issue. So it can have an inlfuence.

Not only that, but it’s my understanding that the players spend more time around their position coach than anybody on the coaching staff. Also, position coaches are where coordinators and head coaches come from, so getting as many good football minds in the building is incredibly important for the long term prospects of the organization.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

For LB coach there's maybe Luke Kuechly he became a scout for Carolina for a year and also helped out at training camp for the Bills in 2021, not sure how realistic an option that is. Also I guess Sr. could always come out of retirement to help out under his son though maybe that'd be weird?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Eating.

Feels like a safe bet.

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Position coaches really mean little to me. It's the Coordinators and McDermott that determine the Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams strategies. A position coach basically just runs guys through individual position drills, gets a little film time, and builds players confidence through rah-rah. I don't think a position coach has a massive impact on player performance, unless they're literally not doing the job.

Well both our coordinators came from a position on our team.  

59 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think you truly understand the in's and out's of coaching if this is the case:

McDermott brings the coaches in: tells each position coach what he expects and their leverage, alignment, etc. on given plays/ concepts. 

It's then on them to go implement and teach it. Sure McDermott installs game plans and does film, etc but a LOT is on the position coaches. 

This might be one of the worst takes i've ever seen. This isn't high school football in WNY with 3 coaches on staff. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I don't think you truly understand the in's and out's of coaching if this is the case:

McDermott brings the coaches in: tells each position coach what he expects and their leverage, alignment, etc. on given plays/ concepts. 

It's then on them to go implement and teach it. Sure McDermott installs game plans and does film, etc but a LOT is on the position coaches. 

This might be one of the worst takes i've ever seen. This isn't high school football in WNY with 3 coaches on staff. 

If position coaches were so important, the 2013 Washington Redskins should have won the superbowl 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I’d talk to Barkley about QB coach.

It feels like we've been obsessed with putting in an old backup QB we like as QB Coach ever since Davis Webb was on the team. But it's not the same thing, there was talk around Webb the made it sound like he might be someone who'd want to transition to that kind of job someday and be good at it. I've never heard any of that about Barkley.

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If position coaches were so important, the 2013 Washington Redskins should have won the superbowl 

1/10 take. Those guys were in their 20's at that time. Most of them are now head coaches and/or OC/DC's.

So is your stance that position coaches aren't important and we can do without them? Just need OC, DC, STC? Or do you just not understand how the coaching hierarchy works on a day to day basis? I can help out if need be. 

Edited by warrior9

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Eating.

Oooh, burn,  total mic drop 🎤 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Instead of Belichick taking the year off, he should coach our linebackers.

Bring in Pete Carroll to coach our DB’s.

Get the OJ Dream Team coaching staff. 

Carroll coaching Bills DBs? Reliving 1984?

56 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It feels like we've been obsessed with putting in an old backup QB we like as QB Coach ever since Davis Webb was on the team. But it's not the same thing, there was talk around Webb the made it sound like he might be someone who'd want to transition to that kind of job someday and be good at it. I've never heard any of that about Barkley.

Webb was coaching QBs in Denver last season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.