Brady -> Mahomes AFC dominance is best case for league realignment

Peevo

One of the few malleable things about the league is that we all accept how the schedule isn't the same for every team.  Yet it's by CHOICE they do it this way. 

League owners and operatives could simply change it.  

You can't control player injuries, free agency, draft positioning, salary cap, etc. There's a lot of randomness that affects results.  The scheduling system is by design, and I'd argue has a massive impact on what teams make the Superbowl every year.  

31 games (every team plays each other once) is never gonna happen.  So what are some better options than the current system?

Brady and the Pats went to 8 consecutive AFC Championships (2011 - 2018).  Not even counting their pre-2011 runs.  The Chiefs have appeared in 6 straight conference championships.  2018 - 2023 & counting.  

The AFC domination transferred from Brady to Mahomes in the span of a season.  Now the conference is Mahomes' to dominate until he retires.

We just accept this as a reality.  The NFL could just change it.  Why is it this way?  Because they decided to in 1967.  

If the conferences are unevenly matched due to the presence of a generational talent, it creates a competitive disadvantage for 15 teams simply because of league logistics.  Again, they choose to have it this way.  

NFL fans accept the reality that their teams play almost all the same teams every year, and expect DIFFERENT results.  I'm burnt out on the same teams every year.  And of course I know as I'm writing this that IT WILL NEVER CHANGE.  Doesn't mean we can't at least have the conversation, right?

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Even though I knew there was A 10% chance the lions would beat the chiefs in the Super Bowl I still wanted the Lions to win. Fresh blood

It’s going to be a weird day when we see the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Commanders or Texans make the Super Bowl. I don’t think the nfl could let it happen 

Edited by Bills!Win!

What exactly are you suggesting? That the Cheifs be moved to the NFC to let other AFC teams get a shot at the Super Bowl?

Wouldn't that, if the logic follows, then be a severe disadvantage to all the NFC teams? I don't get how to make this "fair."

Let's see if they're still unbeatable in a couple years without Kelce and Jones.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 2

Hang on, what is the argument here? If Mahomes was in the NFC - i.e. the weaker conference for opposing Quarterbacks - then your theory might support moving him to the AFC to face more competition. But how does moving the best Quarterback out of the stronger Quarterback conference and into the weaker one promote competition?

If Mahomes was in the NFC he'd make the Superbowl every year with even less jeopardy. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hang on, what is the argument here? If Mahomes was in the NFC - i.e. the weaker conference for opposing Quarterbacks - then your theory might support moving him to the AFC to face more competition. But how does moving the best Quarterback out of the stronger Quarterback conference and into the weaker one promote competition?

If Mahomes was in the NFC he'd make the Superbowl every year with even less jeopardy. 

The argument is he wants the Bills to have an easier path to the superbowl. That's really all.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

how long has this been corroding the OP's brain?

In 1967, the NFL decided to align the conferences so that, 50-60 years later, 2 teams would dominate the SB?---and they should simply "mix it up" a bit if one conference dominates the SB?

lol--in the pantheon of bad TBD idea, this may be its apex.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All i'm saying is after all the games are played, we're stuck with the Chiefs in the AFC title again, what's the point of all of this?

The Bills got their skulls crushed by the Pats for 20 years, and we all just accepted it without complaint.  Now the Chiefs have ascended and there's virtually 0 hope for all AFC teams until he's retired.

How is it fair?  That's all I'm saying.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

In 1967, the NFL decided to align the conferences so that, 50-60 years later, 2 teams would dominate the SB?---and they should simply "mix it up" a bit if one conference dominates the SB?

NFL in 1967 "Aight so Brady and the Pats will dominate from 2001-2018 at which the great handoff will happen between future Chiefs QB Pat Mahomes (mind you isn't born yet nor is his father) so KC can themselves go on a 6 year reign of terror and who knows after"

NFL Owners "Sounds great the divisions are approved!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But why is change so bad?  I'm genuinely asking.

Until all the teams play each other we will never really achieve competitive balance in the schedule.

1 minute ago, Peevo said:

All i'm saying is after all the games are played, we're stuck with the Chiefs in the AFC title again, what's the point of all of this?

The Bills got their skulls crushed by the Pats for 20 years, and we all just accepted it without complaint.  Now the Chiefs have ascended and there's virtually 0 hope for all AFC teams until he's retired.

What solution do you have in mind?

3 minutes ago, Peevo said:

How is it fair that the best team keeps winning? I mean that's sports. You live in the hope that one year they don't. 

1 minute ago, Peevo said:

But why is change so bad?  I'm genuinely asking.

Until all the teams play each other we will never really achieve competitive balance in the schedule.

But how would that help in this scenario? Mahomes is playing in the tougher conference. He has another very good QB in his division that he plays twice. I'm not sure how making him play teams with worse Quarterbacks more often achieves more competitive balance?

I have no idea what this is and I'm guessing it's dumb, obviously just beat him it's not impossible it's in fact happened multiple times already.

I mean what ridiculous suggestion is there to have the Chiefs alternate conferences every year? I think I'd rather die than cede this kind of self defeatist attitude to them.

Edited by Warcodered

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.