2024 WR Draft Class

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My top 15 were published here the other day: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/253033-gunners-2024-mock-draft-v20-now-live-p8/page/11/#comment-9001407

I have a further 5 after that: Polk, Cowing, Corley, Rice and McMillan in my top 100 making it 20 in my top 100. What I think has been a bit under discussed in this talk about the depth of the WR group is that it does drop off a bit after that. I think there are 20 maybe even 21 (I have Malik Washington not far outside my top 100) who legit could go in the first two days.... but then when I get into day 3 receivers that I like as developmental pieces..... it is relatively slim pickings compared to some other years. I like Thrash some as a round 4 guy, Cornelius Johnson as a late 4th rounder and then McCaffrey and Johnny Wilson are 5th round grades for me. After that you are into Jha'Quan Jackson and Anthony Gould as return guys who can play some gimmick receiver in a pinch for you who I think are draftable. 

Some of the other guys I have seen talked about as day 3 prospects - Isaiah Williams, Jalen Coker, Jordan Whittington, Xavier Weaver.... they are 7th round flier / UDFA types to my eye.

The Gould, Tahj Washington, Jha’quan Jackson group of WR is the late day 3 guys where I think one could emerge into a productive player.

Gould in addition to being an excellent returner that should secure a spot on a roster is a bit of a metrics and film guy darling. Top yprr against man in the class, Greg Cosell is a big fan too. 

I really like watching Tahj Washington and think he is probably the better USC receiver. Jackson probably has the most NFL ready body of the 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

The Gould, Tahj Washington, Jha’quan Jackson group of WR is the late day 3 guys where I think one could emerge into a productive player.

Gould in addition to being an excellent returner that should secure a spot on a roster is a bit of a metrics and film guy darling. Top yprr against man in the class, Greg Cosell is a big fan too. 

I really like watching Tahj Washington and think he is probably the better USC receiver. Jackson probably has the most NFL ready body of the 3. 

I haven't properly studied Tahj to be fair. I love Gould. Literally just been talking about him in the sleepers thread. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Again, I disagree with the concept of mid to late Round 2 for Legette. You don't get that kind of size and speed often and it's not littered all over the Draft. Lately, he's been climbing the boards when it comes to the experts. RIght now, I would be extremely surprised if he falls any later than the 35-40 range.

Again, we know. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Again, I disagree with the concept of mid to late Round 2 for Legette. You don't get that kind of size and speed often and it's not littered all over the Draft. Lately, he's been climbing the boards when it comes to the experts. RIght now, I would be extremely surprised if he falls any later than the 35-40 range.

I remember Jonathan Mingo.

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Again, we know. 

Certain people are unbearable with their takes. I fully realize that I'm stubborn and can't be persuaded and can come off bullish on things but I've honestly never seen him put out scouting reports on players or have strong opinions before on prospect  and this year all of a sudden is a draft prospect expert.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I like Klassen, particularly for his QB breakdowns. These are some real interesting rankings. I really don't see it with McMillan personally; he's on my do not draft list. He's much lower on Franklin than I am too, but some of the other stuff lines up pretty similarly with me. Relatively high on Coleman, relatively low on Worthy, Mitchell, and Legette. Interesting stuff.

I think you're probably correct that if he's the guy Beane wants, he should just take him at 28. I hope that's not the case though personally.

I'm with Derrik on Coleman. Beane has been looking for a RAC receiver for a while and he's one of the best in draft. Also a big bodied, red zone threat. As far as speed is concerned, isn't KJ Hamler still on the roster? 

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm with Derrik on Coleman. Beane has been looking for a RAC receiver for a while and he's one of the best in draft. Also a big bodied, red zone threat. As far as speed is concerned, isn't KJ Hamler still on the roster? 

Watched his end of season press conference. He talked about looking for mismatches. WRs that stretch the defense with speed, widen the field. Talked Hamler and his injuries.

I don’t think they will depend on Hamler. The Bills actually have 2 young YAC receivers already that will get increased roles next year, Kincaid and Shakir. 

I think they will draft a field stretcher somewhere in this draft.

32 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Certain people are unbearable with their takes. I fully realize that I'm stubborn and can't be persuaded and can come off bullish on things but I've honestly never seen him put out scouting reports on players or have strong opinions before on prospect  and this year all of a sudden is a draft prospect expert.

It’s just the relentlessness of the takes.  As if every post/thought has to pass his approval.  

regarding the prospect scouting and such, it could just be he has more time on his hands this time around.  I know I haven’t been able to dive into nearly as many prospects as I usually do.  Work and family are taking up a lot more of time so far this year. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ain’t no way. That’s a lot of future assets you’re giving up. If it goes QB’s 1 through 4 and MHJ is there, entertain it but don’t give up more than the Julio Jones trade was…

Which ended up picks 27, 59, 124 and a first and fourth the following year. 

This year it would be 28, 60, 128 & 2025 first and fourth rounders. 

Tough position as the 2011 & 2012 drafts combined didn’t have as much talent as this one does on its own. Remove AJ Green and Julio, the draft at that position was pretty poor. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s just the relentlessness of the takes.  As if every post/thought has to pass his approval.  

regarding the prospect scouting and such, it could just be he has more time on his hands this time around.  I know I haven’t been able to dive into nearly as many prospects as I usually do.  Work and family are taking up a lot more of time so far this year. 

Yup I agree. We all know at this point who are the Legette lovers and non lovers. It’s okay to disagree. Half will look dumb and half will look smart 3 years from now. 

I enjoy the banter but you also have to realize when to let your takes breathe.   

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Ain’t no way. That’s a lot of future assets you’re giving up. If it goes QB’s 1 through 4 and MHJ is there, entertain it but don’t give up more than the Julio Jones trade was…

Which ended up picks 27, 59, 124 and a first and fourth the following year. 

This year it would be 28, 60, 128 & 2025 first and fourth rounders. 

Tough position as the 2011 & 2012 drafts combined didn’t have as much talent as this one does on its own. Remove AJ Green and Julio, the draft at that position was pretty poor. 

Depends. If you view it in cap dollars you’re trading for about $20 million in cap space per year for 5 years. So those picks you lose can be replaced by veterans in free agency. 

So the question is do you go grab someone you feel is an instant WR1 and game changer. Or do you use all the picks on 2nd round talents and try to develop a game changer?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Depends. If you view it in cap dollars you’re trading for about $20 million in cap space per year for 5 years. So those picks you lose can be replaced by veterans in free agency. 

So the question is do you go grab someone you feel is an instant WR1 and game changer. Or do you use all the picks on 2nd round talents and try to develop a game changer?

If there was only a handful of guys, sure. That was kinda my point about those 2 years of drafts. The talent level from two years doesn’t equate to the level in this singular one IMO. 

Unless it’s MHJ available @ 5, trade up, if that’s what they want, and get someone else without the sacrifice of potentially 2 drafts. 

For MHJ though, yes. You grab the instant #1 game changing WR and save the 4th-7th rounders to try and develop. 

Edited by BBFL

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

If there was only a handful of guys, sure. That was kinda my point about those 2 years of drafts. The talent level from two years doesn’t equate to the level in this singular one IMO. 

Unless it’s MHJ available @ 5, trade up, if that’s what they want, and get someone else without the sacrifice of potentially 2 drafts. 

For MHJ though, yes. You grab the instant #1 game changing WR and save the 4th-7th rounders to try and develop. 

I don’t think the Bills make a move far up the board either. If they really like Brian Thomas Jr and he slides to the mid teens I could see them parting with a 2025 1st only if there is a big gap between he and whoever they consider # 5. That’s about as far up I can see them reasonably taking it. 

I just don’t see 5-10 as a possibility 

• Agree 1

I seem to always land on Thomas. Best size/speed combo in the draft. Also really good hands. His skill set seems to really match what we lack, and complement Josh Allen. It's almost criminal with Josh's arm, that we don't already have a guy on the roster with this skill set. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I seem to always land on Thomas. Best size/speed combo in the draft. Also really good hands. His skill set seems to really match what we lack, and complement Josh Allen. It's almost criminal with Josh's arm, that we don't already have a guy on the roster with this skill set. 

Despite his arm strength, Josh is pretty terrible at the deep ball

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1