2024 WR Draft Class

I'm confused.  Has it been confirmed that the Bills did NOT meet with McConkey?  Can't remember which podcast I was listening to, but I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who said that every NFL team has 75 interviews at the Combine, but only about 1/3rd of them are released publicly.

So again, has it been confirmed we have NOT met with McConkey???

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm confused.  Has it been confirmed that the Bills did NOT meet with McConkey?  Can't remember which podcast I was listening to, but I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who said that every NFL team has 75 interviews at the Combine, but only about 1/3rd of them are released publicly.

So again, has it been confirmed we have NOT met with McConkey???

Ladd said no but they spoke at the senior bowl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Did anyone hear AD Mitchell at his presser mention he doesn't run routes at full speed?  

Well both Mitchell and Worthy both have a lot of that on tape. He did it against Washington in the playoff and Ewers got picked 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Give me your top 2 contested catch WRs not named Marvin Harrison Jr, Nabers, or Odunze?

not sure metrics wise who it is?

2 of Mitchell, Legette, Thomas Jr,  Coleman, Pearsall is my guess 

based on height / vertical / what I've seen 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

59 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Did anyone hear AD Mitchell at his presser mention he doesn't run routes at full speed?  

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  I thought I heard that and it gave me a bad impression.  I think he thought it was a flex, but he needs to be able to manipulate a route by running full speed.  

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If they can’t get Thomas or Mitchell then Coleman might be that true X they’re looking for.

16 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  I thought I heard that and it gave me a bad impression.  I think he thought it was a flex, but he needs to be able to manipulate a route by running full speed.  

I thought he looked a bit clumsy on a few in the drills.  Maybe his cleats were meant for grass? not sure.  Trying to give guys some grace 

With seeing what a physical MONSTER Legette is

his Special Teams background

his reported work ethic

his 40 inch vertical and 4.39  40 time

+bonus he was seen talking and smiling with Bills WR Coach after the drills ended

I feel like he could be our top target 

Potential downside is he's already 23.  Some other WR prospects are 20-21   + his production is not as good. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

25 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Changing route speeds is a massive part of a world class route runner

You certainly just do not run full speed every single route... You need to have variance and nuance

Mixing up tempo and variance... Allows you to set up cornerbacks for further routes... And gain leverage advantages

Everybody in the NFL is fast just running at 100% speed doesn't work.. guys like Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown and Cole Beasley and Andre Reed were Masters at changing routes speeds.. it's the variance that gets you an edge in the pros

Everybody is extremely fast you need to have nuance to route running

I didn't listen to the interview so I don't know exactly what context that was used in but the ability to change routes speeds at the NFL level is actually a big plus

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Changing route speeds is a massive part of a world class route runner

You certainly just do not run full speed every single route

Mixing up tempo and variance... Allows you to set up cornerbacks for further routes... And gain leverage advantages

Everybody in the NFL is fast just running at 100% speed doesn't work.. guys like Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown and Cole Beasley and Andre Reed were Masters at changing routes speeds.. it's the variance that gets you an edge in the pros

Everybody is extremely fast you need to have nuance to route running

Sorry bud, but the best WR in the NFL runs balls to the walls every damn route and changes direction at full speed and literally cant be stopped.

WRs don't run full speed on routes because they cant change direction at an abrupt rate when they are running full speed.

Bums like Gabe Davis runs half their routes at half speed.

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Sorry bud, but the best WR in the NFL runs balls to the walls every damn route and changes direction at full speed and literally cant be stopped.

WRs don't run full speed on routes because they cant change direction at an abrupt rate when they are running full speed.

Bums like Gabe Davis runs half their routes at half speed.

I've been Coaching and scouting for a long time I respectfully disagree

NFL wide receivers do not run balls to the wall every single play..  and they certainly know how to vary their Pace on routes

Changing route speeds is a huge part of being an NFL wide receiver... It always has

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Coaching and scouting for a long time I respectfully disagree

NFL wide receivers do not run balls to the wall every single play

Changing route speeds is a huge part of being an NFL wide receiver

Thats cool.  Not sure I really care about you coaching some HS kids.

A WR in NFL has less than 3 secs to get open.  They better be moving as fast as possible.  The best NFL WRs are going full throttle.

32 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's tough to say statistically because the sample sizes are always small when you're talking about contested targets. For example, over the last two years, Marvin Harrison Jr. had the most contested targets in the draft class with 60 combined between the two seasons. For plays that are already sort of coin flips by nature, you'd really like to see a larger sample to draw conclusions from. Having said that, the guys at 50% or higher in terms of catch % on contested targets are (highest to lowest):

• Cornelius Johnson
  • Tahj Washington
  • Casey Washington
  • Luke McCaffrey
  • Rome Odunze
  • Bryson Nesbit
  • De'Corian Clark
  • Hayden Hatten
  • Jermaine Burton
  • Javon Baker
  • Ja'Lynn Polk
  • Malik Nabers
  • Brian Thomas Jr.
  • Marvin Harrison Jr.
  • Malik Washington
  • Zakhari Franklin
  • Moose Muhammad III
  • Roman Wilson

If we limit it to guys that had at least 20 contested targets over the two years, you're left with:

• Luke McCaffrey
  • Rome Odunze
  • Hayden Hatten
  • Javon Baker
  • Ja'Lynn Polk
  • Malik Nabers
  • Marvin Harrison Jr.
  • Malik Washington
  • Zakhari Franklin

Some of the WRs that people have talked about in general for this class that don't make the list:

• Troy Franklin - 46.7%
  • Tez Walker - 45.2%
  • Xavier Legette - 44.0%
  • Keon Coleman - 43.5%
  • Brenden Rice - 42.9%
  • Jacob Cowing - 41.7%
  • Ricky Pearsall - 40.9%
  • Adonai Mitchell - 40.0%
  • Xavier Worthy - 29.4%
  • Jamari Thrash - 29.0%
  • Malachi Corley - 28.6%

In terms of going up and high pointing the ball in traffic, Odunze, Baker, and Polk definitely pass the eye test in addition to the numbers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Thats cool.  Not sure I really care about you coaching some HS kids.

A WR in NFL has less than 3 secs to get open.  They better be moving as fast as possible.  The best NFL WRs are going full throttle.

https://www.cover1.net/cole-beasley-option-routes-josh-allens-development-buffalo-bills/

This literally talks about how cole beasley changes up his speed on routes to get an advantage..  

Or talk to a wide receiver coach.. changing up speeds doesn't mean running slow... It can help create leverage

You don't need to be running 23 miles an hour to create separation... You can do it with craftiness and savvy 

Edited by Buffalo716

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://www.cover1.net/cole-beasley-option-routes-josh-allens-development-buffalo-bills/

This literally talks about how cole beasley changes up his speed on routes to get an advantage..  

Or talk to a wide receiver coach.. changing up speeds doesn't mean running slow... It can help create leverage

You don't need to be running 23 miles an hour to create separation... You can do it with craftiness and savvy 

You are missing the point.  Look at the speed AD comes out of the break here:

Lazy

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You are missing the point.  Look at the speed AD comes out of the break here:

Lazy

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/roman-wilson/32005749-4c77-7750-194f-0fd7ed86214a

This is a wide receiver the bills are targeting

What's one of his weaknesses?

Tends to One speeds his routes...

Being able to run routes at multiple tempos is a positive not a negative

Being able to run routes at multiple speeds has been a good thing forever  because it keeps defensive backs on their heels

Nobody and I'm certainly not saying you want players to run routes slowly... I'm saying the ability to change pace is a massive positive for a wide receiver

Always has been

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I thought he looked a bit clumsy on a few in the drills.  Maybe his cleats were meant for grass? not sure.  Trying to give guys some grace 

With seeing what a physical MONSTER Legette is

his Special Teams background

his reported work ethic

his 40 inch vertical and 4.39  40 time

+bonus he was seen talking and smiling with Bills WR Coach after the drills ended

I feel like he could be our top target 

Potential downside is he's already 23.  Some other WR prospects are 20-21   + his production is not as good. 

To quote his NFL.com draft bio, last season was his first season with over 30 targets.