The Belichick thread

Simon

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Well...since it'a a military academy, recruitment is different, operating under military constraints.  Candidates, including athletes, need to be nominated.  There are no athletic scholarships.  So...I could see the Naval Academy being an attraction for Belichick in light of his father's legacy.

So, you think that players that go to military academies aren’t recruited? Is that what you are saying?

1 minute ago, Beast said:

So, you think that players that go to military academies aren’t recruited? Is that what you are saying?

They are...but the guidelines are different.  Plus...unless a recruit has a desire to serve his country in the armed forces, they would seek to go elsewhere to play football...and then hope to jump to the NFL.  Likely the competition for players would be more limited to those among the service academies.

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

looks like he was offered the Falcons job with conditions and declined

https://nypost.com/2024/02/05/sports/bill-belichick-turned-down-falcons-coaching-offer-boomer-esiason/

Hmmm. That contradicts what I have heard elsewhere. My understanding is when Bill flew in for that weekend interview the Falcons were prepared to offer him the job if things progressed well. They didn't. In fact they fell apart quickly. Disagreements went wider than just personnel control. They also went to more general organisational structure and coaching staff. Bill Belichick doesn't just want to coach a team. He wants to run an organisation. And he wasn't going to work for an owner unwilling to give that control.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:30 PM, Low Positive said:

The "Patriot Way" is joyless football and joyless football only works if the team is actively contending for Superbowls. 

And he had gone to 12 SBs and won 8 of them. 2 as a D.C. and 6 as a head coach..

Pretty joyless football.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_002! said:

And he had gone to 12 SBs and won 8 of them. 2 as a D.C. and 6 as a head coach..

Pretty joyless football.

Those Pats fans didn't look "joyless" when the Pats were winning another Lombardi. I wish the Bills would make me that "joyless" just once.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmmm. That contradicts what I have heard elsewhere. My understanding is when Bill flew in for that weekend interview the Falcons were prepared to offer him the job if things progressed well. They didn't. In fact they fell apart quickly. Disagreements went wider than just personnel control. They also went to more general organisational structure and coaching staff. Bill Belichick doesn't just want to coach a team. He wants to run an organisation. And he wasn't going to work for an owner unwilling to give that control.

Obviously, the clout BB wielded in NE, is going to make it tough for him to revert back to a HC with some, but not much power over the roster.  

Either he realizes and accepts this, or he is done as an NFL HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Pretty joyless football.

It's just incredible the garbage that sports fans conjure up as part of their fandom reality.

4 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Pretty joyless football.

"only works if the team is actively contending for Superbowls"

You conveniently left off that part... it's an abject failure also without Tom Brady.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

It's just incredible the garbage that sports fans conjure up as part of their fandom reality.

It's incredible that some people don't read the entire statement and cherry pick.

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

looks like he was offered the Falcons job with conditions and declined

https://nypost.com/2024/02/05/sports/bill-belichick-turned-down-falcons-coaching-offer-boomer-esiason/

Articles like this are soooooo phoney. Passes off and presented as factual, however it's all speculation. Key statements:

-"that supposedly Arthur Blank was bought in to Bill Belichick and could have offered him the job,”

-“I don’t know why guys say no, but legitimately an NFL executive basically told me that they believe that Arthur Blank offered Bill the job. Now there may have been some caveats to that offer"

- "The way it was made and sounded to me was like ‘OK, I understand your concerns, but you’re gonna have to deal with some of this and we want you to come in, we want you to be the coach,’ and then maybe he just thought better of it,” Esiason said.

20 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You conveniently left off that part... it's an abject failure also without Tom Brady.

It's incredible that some people don't read the entire statement and cherry pick.

So...there's been teams and coaches contending for SBs since the very first time of NFL football, yet there is very very few teams and coaches who can say they went and won multiple SBs.

And I didn't conveniently leave anything out. There comes a time when you aren't great anymore..

That's why Jimmy Jones retired 

Bill Walsh Is gone

Shula doesn't coach the dolphins anymore..(RIP)

joe Montana can't play football....

The time had come for BB. Ppl are just beyond foolish If you couldn't see his greatest or just butt-hurt he continued to beat your team time and time again.

Edited by Ghost_002!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.