Von Miller Earned $3m a Tackle (Approx)

wppete

On 1/22/2024 at 6:50 PM, Success said:

Anyone know the details on this contract?  I know it's been discussed - but can we save any money if we cut him?  

They can cut him post-June 1st and save around $7M this year and $8.5M next year,  then $26M and $33M when the contract falls off the books for 2026 and 2027. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills

IMO,  that makes it a pretty easy decision to release him over the summer.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bills Mafia needs to write an open letter to von stating that von needs to retire for the best interest of the bills team and it's loyal fan base.  He doesn't need anymore money.  Please retire von otherwise it will  negatively affects your legacy as a player who puts team first instead of himself.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:14 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont get how people just overlook how good Von was before injury and the unfortunate fact he got a bad injury that usually takes a full season of playing to really get back.

I would love to shed the contract too, but lets not pretend Von wasn't playing up to the contract before the injury too.  And lets not pretend that the guy on the field this year is also him fully recovered either, because it wasn't.  Look how bad Tre looked when he got back before he was playing at a much higher level this year before he got hurt again.

Bottom line is he is here one more year, and he can still potentially provide value next year if his last 2 games are any indication.  So people need to just accept he is going to be here and hope that he builds upon the end of this year and has more to offer next year like Tre did this season.

Yeah I keep reminding myself of this too. Then I realize that means he's definitely gonna tear his Achilles too from all the compensation doesn't it

2 hours ago, TurfToeJam said:

Bills Mafia needs to write an open letter to von stating that von needs to retire for the best interest of the bills team and it's loyal fan base.  He doesn't need anymore money.  Please retire von otherwise it will  negatively affects your legacy as a player who puts team first instead of himself.

Unfortunately the way the cap works, unless he returned a bunch of bonus money (not happening why would he) that move would put us in a horrible bind. It would be better for the cap if he's on the roster this coming year

On 1/22/2024 at 7:48 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

Von will be back for sure. Coming back off the ACL. He showed flashes of the old Von the last two games. The two playoff games were his best games. Full offseason with no rehab. I think he comes back stronger next season. 

But what they really need is Greg Rousseau to elevate his game. He’s suppose to be the main guy right now to hold down the edge and he hasn’t been that guy they drafted him to be. Defensive end is a major need this offseason next to WR.

He is Shaq 2.0 and I don't honestly think that's a bad thing. He is an edge setter who does well against the run. Instead of fighting this they should be pushing to have those edges collapse the pocket and give Ed Oliver a chance. It's either that or have an Epenessa type who either gets home or is so far past the play that the QB can just roll out. 

ok, i watched a podcast this morning with shannon sharp and chad ochocinco (his legal name i think, lol).

anyhow, they had a debate about coming back from injury, coming off of an acl tear.

chad was defending von, shannon was pretty militant about how if a player can be on the field, there are expectations that must be met.

he pointed out in 1997 jerry rice tore his acl early in the season/pre season and palyed week 16 and balled out.

rod woodson tore his acl week one and played vs cowboys in teh super bowl and was decent, if not great.

terrell owens broke his ankle week 14, played in the super bowl w the eagles vs the pats, and was the best player on the field and frankly should have lead his team to a win but for old andy reid and out of shape mcnabb.

adrian peterson tore his acl and came back the next season and played at a basically mvp level.

all of these injuries were 10+ years ago, some over 25 years!

i think tre white and vonn miller did not do everything they could to rehab as best as possible.  guys like peterson and owens were known to be total workout warriors who never took a day off and played with insane intensity.

in my mind, we have josh allen, matt milano, and at times stef diggs (i think something has been off w him and i don't think ownes or peterson would consistently now show like he does in the playoffs) who will play like absolute dogs and who i expect to will themselves via diligent rehab and hard work back to playing at their highest level.

we've seen von get frustrated and after getting washed on a play put no effort in prior to the whistle this season.  to me, that is such a clear sign of where he is in his career/dedication and how i figure he rehabbed.

he was benched for performance and he agreed with it.  in away that shows maturity, but in another way it shows a lack of fire.  ownes, peterson, etc would be livid if they were benched, and i don't think they'd ever be in a position to not be giving the max effort.

• Disagree 1

For what it's worth, PFF agrees with what I saw with my own eyes. Miller was terrible in the regular season: 45.4 on their rating scale, which is sub-replacement level player. But in the (small sample) of two playoff games, they rated him at 86.8, which is almost an elite level, and basically the same as he was in 2021-2022 pre-injury.

My takeaway: I have no idea whether he'll be able to handle his pre-injury workload. But I think at a minimum he'll be an effective situational pass rusher next year. In other words, he'll be what Leonard Floyd was for us this year. And maybe, just maybe, quite a bit better. He's a special player, and like all HOF level players, has a special kind of drive to be among the best. Based on what I saw this year - including trying to come back too early - I'm guessing he has more than a little something left in the tank.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.