Allen was legendary (even better than 13 seconds Allen)

Einstein

3 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

So you don't think Jones knocking Dawkins into Josh as he was throwing didn't impact that play? The difference is other teams always seem to have playmakers coming through for their team(Jones being the playmaker for KC) and The Bills relying on Josh all the time. 

Pass was already out of his hand, wasn't it?

• Disagree 2

For the record here are Allen's combined stats for the regular season and playoffs. This represents 19 games worth of work:

Passing:  4695 yards; 33 TD's; 18 INT's

Rushing:  670 yards; 18 TD's; 3 lost fumbles

Totals:  5365 yards; 51 TD's; 21 TO's.

This level of production is remarkable given the talent surrounding him.

As for results:  11 - 6 record; Division Title; Playoff berth; 1 - 1 record in the playoffs; 12 - 7 overall record.  Pretty solid to IMO.

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Agreed. But why so much heat on Josh (not from you) for not making the throw yet little heat on Dawkins for allowing the pressure to happen? It's as though Josh gets all the criticism and everyone else on offense almost gets a pass. It feels like 2&9 has been mentioned more on here post match than the Diggs and Sherfield drops, for example. Or the missed FG.

It's a great mystery to me. 

As an aside, take a look at the thread that links to a wonderfully written article by a Chicago Bears fan who defends Allen and the Bills from the wretched hater Nick Wright.  He addresses the unique depth and perversion of the Allen hatred.  It is real and you see it on 2BT from time to time.  This is a must read.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Here's the thing.  I don't blame Dawkins at all.  He got beat on that one play.  It happens.  When I and others call out that Dawkins got pushed back into Allen impacting the throw we're stating a fact as an explanation for why Allen missed the throw.  Dawkins had a fantastic season.  No one should judge him by one play because no one in he NFL is prefect on every play.

Allen explained it perfectly, you can't boil an entire game down to 1 play not that pass not the kick or even one of the drops. Fact is one of those plays get made maybe the game is different, defense makes some plays maybe it's different, the point is you can't put it on 1 player like that it's absurd. Allen probably will be thinking about that throw all offseason though because that's just how it is.

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Did you want him to block for Dawkins too?

Don't care.

Wanna be a legend and beat Mahomes? Make the throw.

You are saying it's ok that he missed the touchdown throw to possibly win the game. Fine...just don't claim he had a legendary performance. 

Legends make that play...excuses are for losers.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Best angle yet of Dawkins affecting Allen’s endzone throw.

This was a TD if Allen had a fraction of a second more.

Chris Jones makes game winning plays in the playoffs. The Bills have nobody like that. Nobody steps up in critical moments, only Allen and Shakir in this game. So frustrating.

• Like (+1) 4

On 1/22/2024 at 3:00 PM, BeastMaster said:

Don't care.

You are saying it's ok that he missed the touchdown throw to possibly win the game. Fine...just don't claim he had a legendary performance. 

He did have room to step up in the pocket. Not sure if he had time to step up and hit Shakir.  Thats the only minor criticism I had.  I swear we have seen him make throws like that with only arm and not stepping into the throw but it was 30 plus yards.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

He did have room to step up in the pocket. Not sure if he had time to step up and hit Shakir. 

Yeah your second sentence is the problem. 

WITHOUT him stepping up, Shakir was already in the endzone when the ball got there. If he had stepped up in the pocket, there was no play there to be had anymore - the defender would have caught up to Shakir in that half second.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/21/2024 at 11:19 PM, NewEra said:

He would’ve been legendary if he hit the wide open Khalil Shakir for the GW TD.  But he missed.  He played a great game….. but he missed when we needed him most

Actually, I agree with this.  It's a shame Dawkins got abused and Josh missed the pass.  I would say that Josh worked harder and did more than anyone on the field though.  This team needs to stop fielding the Sherfield and Harty's at receiver and go get someone reliable.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:26 PM, HappyDays said:

Disagree with this. I thought Brady called a perfect game plan. It is hard for an offense to function without a single outside WR playing at even an average level. Brady took the only possible path of feeding the RBs and leaning on Josh's legs. There is only so much you can do when you're forced into that game script, but he maximized it as best he could.

I would not.  It was decent but Brady suffers from the same thing that Dorsey and Daboll both suffered from.  He doesn't know how to mix up a game and keep a defense guessing on its toes.  The other team knows we are running. The other team knows we are passing more often than not.  It always seems run when the passing game isn't working so well and run until the run is stopped.  Hardly ever do I see a shot or even a pass play on second and short for instance.  Even though, we may convert that 2nd and short for a first down via the run, thats all it usually is... a couple yards.  The other team knows its coming because thats what we do.  How about throw a pass play in there once in a while.  Its like we set stuff up all game and all year long but never work off the setup.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:00 PM, BeastMaster said:

Don't care.

Amen.  I don’t know what is more unbelievable for me that Josh didn’t take the checkdown for a first down or third and short or that he had no peripheral vision on that play because he was looking to his left the whole time and you mean to tell me he couldn’t see Jones pushing Dawkins into him?  Nah man I’ve been watching football for way too long and we know how Josh plays that is NOT the Josh Allen we know.  If I didn’t believe the league is somewhat rigged I would believe what I saw on that play.  I don’t want to think that Josh took a dive for daddy Godell and the Swifties but it’s so hard not to get to that point considering that particular situation and having seen all the footage of the play.

• Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Dislike 2

we didnt win or lose based on Allen's play  D line simply did not bother to show up  Rest of the defense was walking wounded but D line was basically 100% and stunk it up even with the much lauded rotation that we wasted roster spots and mucho cap space on

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:21 AM, Gugny said:

Are you kidding me?

He is not.  Hero ball is trying to make something happen thats crazy and not really there to be made.  Stuff that maybe even put the ball in jeopardy. Josh didn't do that all night.  Deep throws are not hero ball.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 3:01 AM, chongli said:

and his losses...

Rookie year with a team that wasn't even a playoff team.

Mahomes

Mahomes

Burrow (the mentally exhausted year.  I dont really like this excuse but hey they did one for Lamar so...)

Mahomes

No shame in any of those losses.  Especially when at least one of them shouldn't have been a loss.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He is not.  Hero ball is trying to make something happen thats crazy and not really there to be made.  Stuff that maybe even put the ball in jeopardy. Josh didn't do that all night.  Deep throws are not hero ball.

Thank you!!!!!!

Countless comments the past few days (not so much here - but nationally) that Josh was playing "hero ball" again at the end. Just couldn't help himself.

A 30-yard pass to a wide open guy isn't "hero ball."

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:30 AM, GunnerBill said:

I thought Josh rushed his decision making a bit on the 3rd down. Kurt Warner's point the other week that sometimes he just speeds his own process up to his detriment. If they had even got that to say 4th and 5 I think they'd have gone for it. Had to try and make the kick on 4th and 9. And then the kicker missed a very makeable kick. 

I don't think there is a chance in hell McD goes for it in that spot.  McD is pretty aggressive on 4th downs comparatively to most other coaches, but with the game on the line when they have a chip shot tie, I don't see McD going for that.  4th and 1 maybe and even that is close for me.  4th and 5 id say 99% chance no.

Before you disagree, how often have you seen McD go for 4th and 5?  Has McD ever put the game on the line on 4th down instead of taking the tie if its possible and extending the game?  Not that I recall.

Edited by Scott7975

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't think there is a chance in hell McD goes for it in that spot.  McD is pretty aggressive on 4th downs comparatively to most other coaches, but with the game on the line when they have a chip shot tie, I don't see McD going for that.  4th and 1 maybe and even that is close for me.  4th and 5 id say 99% chance no.

Before you disagree, how often have you seen McD go for 4th and 5?  Has McD ever put the game on the line on 4th down instead of taking the tie if its possible and extending the game?  Not that I recall.

much as Bass has been struggling nobody would have questioned them going for it instead  Think I trust Josh more to convert than Bass

14 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

much as Bass has been struggling nobody would have questioned them going for it instead  Think I trust Josh more to convert than Bass

Yet I have said almost all year that Bass was off and got argued with every week about it.  It took until KC playoff game for people to agree with me.

26 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Some people would have, but I would have defended McD if he decided to keep the offense on the field.

PS, how many SB's would Allen have had with those Patriots dynasty teams? 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I don't agree with the "nobody would have questioned them going for it" part.  While I personally think they should have gone for it, if we go for it on 4th down and don't get the 1st - meaning the game is over, many would have questioned why you didn't just take the field goal to extend the game.  It's a no-win situation, either way if you go for it and don't get the 1st down or you miss the field goal you're going to be blamed that it was the wrong decision.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:21 PM, HappyDays said:

Chris Jones makes game winning plays in the playoffs. The Bills have nobody like that. Nobody steps up in critical moments, only Allen and Shakir in this game. So frustrating.

Exactly. I feel like other teams have playmakers that step up and do something that can change the outcome. For us, it is Josh that is the playmaker. Closest thing i can think of is Von chasing after Mahomes last year, forcing him to throw and it got intercepted by Taron Johnson. Doesn't happen very often though.

On 1/21/2024 at 10:27 PM, Einstein said:

Allen was absolutely legendary tonight. Ran when he should have. Passed when he should have. Took the check down when he should have. He was darn near PERFECT.

67%, 258 total yards, 3 TD’s, 0 INT.

And against a top 5 Chiefs defense that was mostly healthy, unlike our mash unit.

Had Diggs and Sherfield played the game with NFL receiver hands, Allen would have had close to 400 yards of offense by himself.

And I don’t want to hear jack squat about his throw to the endzone on 2nd and 9. Allen had two good options on that play;

1) Shakir open in the endzone.

2) Diggs open on the crosser.

He chose Shakir, who had made several great catches during the game, over Diggs who had 2 drops during the game.

If Chris Jones didn’t push Dawkins into Allen’s side as he threw it, that would have been Allen’s 4th TD of the game.

Why do I believe he was better tonight that in the 13 seconds game? In that game, Allen by and large took advantage of the Chiefs falling over each other. Numerous slips and blown coverages. In this game, Allen was methodical tonight. 

Well done, perfect assessment. Shakir had separation and hadn’t had a drop in months, the fact that Dion got bull rushed into Josh’s ability to step into that throw was the biggest disappointment. Josh executed the game plan to perfection. Controlled the ball for 39 minutes, 78 plays to keep Mahomes on the sideline. Scored on 4 long drives and should’ve been 5 if Bass hits the chip shot. Undermanned defense gave up quick drives with little resistance. How unclutch was Diggs and Sherfield in that game. Very frustrating.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.