Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

How can you say that, though?

The assumption that the Bills would definitely still have been able to score a TD after securing a first down there is a very big assumption, indeed. The Chiefs have an elite red zone defense, and the Bills had only scored once the entire second half. Even the assumption that Bass would still ultimately have made the kick that sends the game to overtime seems like a big one, based on Bass's recent struggles even in-close.

I just think the premise "the short throw for the first down is superior to the touchdown" in that instance is a flawed one, based on assumptions of future success that --- based on the way the season and game had played out -- seem potentially unfounded.

It's this bizzarro world of both blaming Allen and assuming well of course he'll score the TD he's Josh Allen, pick a ***** lane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

How can you say that, though?

The assumption that the Bills would definitely still have been able to score a TD after securing a first down there is a very big assumption, indeed. The Chiefs have an elite red zone defense, and the Bills had only scored once the entire second half. Even the assumption that Bass would still ultimately have made the kick that sends the game to overtime seems like a big one, based on Bass's recent struggles even in-close.

I just think the premise "the short throw for the first down is superior to the touchdown" in that instance is a flawed one, based on assumptions of future success that --- based on the way the season and game had played out -- seem potentially unfounded.

Agree. Plus, if Allen had connected on that TD throw, not one person--I mean that literally, like even some weird fan in his basement in Peoria--would think, "Wow, he took a real risk there. Definitely should have thrown to Diggs on the crosser. What a bad decision maker!" 

The fact is, Allen played pretty much any quarterback in history could have played, given what he had to work with. He was patient, accurate, smart, resourceful, and he used all his gifts, just like in the 13-second game. The team around him just wasn't good enough, again. Did anyone else shine besides Shakir?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Josh needs playmakers to step up for him. The problem is, they don't when he needs them the most. A perfect example of this is Chris Jones making a play that forced Dawkins to stumble into Josh, which caused his throw to Shakir to be off. That was huge for The Chiefs. Someone, somewhere needs to step up for him, and it rarely happens(Miller pressuring Mahomes into an INT last season is as close as it gets). It should not have to be on Josh, all the time, to have to be the difference maker. It's exhausting. Players need to catch balls, defenders need to do something(kudos to Poyer for his big play in the end zone last night). I mean, for whatever reason, it seems to be solely on Josh all the time and there is never any context into the matter, it just turns into "he didn't make the play when the team needed him to". Nevermind that he did all that two years ago in KC, with 13 seconds on the clock left, and it still wasn't enough. I am not saying his decision making doesn't need to be better at times or that he is always perfect, but I can't think of a player constantly more let down by the players beside him than Josh.

And that's what irritates me the most about the Josh Narrative.  Everyone in the media has it so that HE must carry the team at all times.  No mention of Sherfield and Diggs dropping beautiful thrown balls.  No mention of Brady forcing the 1st down runs every drive in the 2nd half without adjustments.  Nope, Allen didn't throw an underneath to Diggs and therefore, it's all his fault.

Meanwhile, Mahomes played an alright game where guys like Kelce made plays and, despite going three and out and giving the ball back to Josh with time remaining, he's the "Conquerer of the Road! Mahomes does it again!"  He stunk on that final drive before punting it back to Buffalo,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Yep.. 100%... How do you think the game is going to end with Mahomes against that MASH unit with 1:50 left and 2 timeouts? 

And besides... He didn't hold his ground because it was a 30 plus yard route. It could have been worse if Jones beats him clean so...

I'm sure you may believe that this is hindsight thinking. But believe me it's not. I was preaching it during the two minute warning and I have witnesses... B-)

All I'm going to say is that your opinion is based on not one, but TWO assumptions.

Assumption one: Had the Bills passed up the open touchdown and taken the drag route instead, they would still ultimately have been able to score a touchdown.

Assumption two: Taking a four point lead would been useless, because the Chiefs would've scored a touchdown to re-take the lead anyway.

Passing up an open touchdown based on assumptions seems foolhardy to me, but we can agree to disagree.

Frustrating that James Cook dropped ANOTHER pass that would have likely been a TD. He improved as a RB in his 2nd year obviously, but anyone that still says he's got good hands and is a reliable pass catching RB should get a swift round house kick to the side of the mouth

Edited by Patrick Duffy
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Sure... If you like losing Playoff games... It certainly is absurd...

You're actually saying that the defense is so bad Allen should pass up points in the final two minutes of a playoff game he's losing to account for that? Completely ignoring the myriad of things that can go wrong on any subsequent plays. Allen KNEW he loses the game if they score 3, just like we all did. So he tried to do what this pathetic coach has always forced him to do, which is EVERYTHING, all by himself.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

All I'm going to say is that your opinion is based on not one, but TWO assumptions.

Assumption one: Had the Bills passed up the open touchdown and taken the drag route instead, they would still ultimately have been able to score a touchdown.

Assumption two: Taking a four point lead would been useless, because the Chiefs would've scored a touchdown to re-take the lead anyway.

Passing up an open touchdown based on assumptions seems foolhardy to me, but we can agree to disagree.

It's a strategy. Nothing is 100% including (obviously) what the Bills did. All I know is this... Best case scenario is you score with less than 30 seconds on the clock and the Chiefs having no time outs... So that is what I'm going to try to accomplish because I'm coaching against the best of the best and I have to be better...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Yep.. 100%... How do you think the game is going to end with Mahomes against that MASH unit with 1:50 left and 2 timeouts? 

And besides... He didn't hold his ground because it was a 30 plus yard route. It could have been worse if Jones beats him clean so...

I'm sure you may believe that this is hindsight thinking. But believe me it's not. I was preaching it during the two minute warning and I have witnesses... B-)

Just when you thought that the Bills strategy all along had been to burn the clock and end up with the ball last..........the only real chance they had to win this game.........they come out of the 2 minute warning with a shot play for no reason.

I don't know what game people were watching but the play there was to take small gains,  bully their way to a couple more first downs just as they had been doing for most of the game.......and force KC to use up their timeouts.

THEN worry about scoring the touchdown.

I can't understand what they were thinking during that timeout.   

Totally appropriate ending to their season though.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, cgg716 said:

You're actually saying that the defense is so bad Allen should pass up points in the final two minutes of a playoff game he's losing to account for that? Completely ignoring the myriad of things that can go wrong on any subsequent plays. Allen KNEW he loses the game if they score 3, just like we all did. So he tried to do what this pathetic coach has always forced him to do, which is EVERYTHING, all by himself.

No I'm saying the proper strategy is to score with almost no time on the clock and the Chiefs having no time outs... That is the best case scenario and that is EXACTLY what the HC should be thinking about... It's not on Josh... it's the coaching... The Shakir route is actually great because it left the shallow crosser wide open...

And you're arguing for a pass that was incomplete on a game we lost... So... Forgive me if I'm sounding stubborn. If I was coaching the Bills that last 2 minutes we would be headed to Baltimore next week. You stay with the strategy that has us home again... Good luck with that...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just when you thought that the Bills strategy all along had been to burn the clock and end up with the ball last..........the only real chance they had to win this game.........they come out of the 2 minute warning with a shot play for no reason.

I don't know what game people were watching but the play there was to take small gains,  bully their way to a couple more first downs just as they had been doing for most of the game.......and force KC to use up their timeouts.

THEN worry about scoring the touchdown.

I can't understand what they were thinking during that timeout.   

Totally appropriate ending to their season though.   

Agreed! I don't get it either, so frustrating seeing WR's running across wide open that easily would have been a 1st down and for whatever reason Josh didn't take it smh

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Agreed! I don't get it either, so frustrating seeing WR's running across wide open that easily would have been a 1st down and for whatever reason Josh didn't take it smh

This still makes no sense to me…you couldn’t bleed the clock for a gw fg in that situation like we have seen in games past…the chiefs defense was getting the best of us late and you absolutely take the open td if it’s there.  

this hindsight over analysis is going overboard…even if he takes that throw to diggs there’s still a very good chance we get held out of the end zone and lose the game then we’d all be here saying ‘why would he pass up a wide open td we were playing not to lose’ yada yada 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Least enjoyable Bills season of my lifetime.

Simply because there is nothing sadder to watch than wasted talent.

This team lost 5 games to teams that didn't make the playoffs.  

It's why they were forced to win 9 de facto and actual playoff games........while having left their best football behind in late September........and taking on casualties from the overexposure and wear and tear at the end as a result of careless play in the first 3 months of the season.

It was a "team" effort for disappointment.    It was contagious as well.   With the exception of a few young players who consistently performed to expectation or above in Bernard, Shakir and Kincaid, everyone seemed to do their part.

Appropriately,  they didn't earn many individual accolades because all of their stars had more bad games than you can expect and still be the top team in your conference.  And until you can be the top regular season team in the AFC........you don't have any right to expect to be the top team in the league for the first time in your existence.

The good news is that they probably won't have as much talent and opportunity to waste next season.    That should make them more likable, if nothing else.  This team was really unlikable.   It culminated last night with Gabe Davis screaming at the fans behind the Bills bench and being serenaded "goodbye" by sections 133 and 134.   

Truth. Bills win a few of those should win games and we are likely healthier from having a bye in round 1, then would have played HOU this week, and playing winner of KC/BAL game next week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This still makes no sense to me…you couldn’t bleed the clock for a gw fg in that situation like we have seen in games past…the chiefs defense was getting the best of us late and you absolutely take the open td if it’s there.  

this hindsight over analysis is going overboard…even if he takes that throw to diggs there’s still a very good chance we get held out of the end zone and lose the game then we’d all be here saying ‘why would he pass up a wide open td we were playing not to lose’ yada yada 

People play too much Madden and honestly think it's like real life. That's the issue.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Images below show the release of the pass (left) and a moment later (right). There was no way Diggs was getting that first down. Diggs is a terrible YAC guy and had two defenders squared up between him and and the line to gain. 

Screenshot2024-01-22111916.thumb.jpg.6308cb103a4323a35474a60ae29e974c.jpgScreenshot2024-01-22112353.thumb.jpg.38c91efd26bf7eb6464d934ac0645e8c.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

I believe the bills will use this off season to start the build up to the first season in the new stadium

If McDermott isn't the coach to try again with now is the time to make the move

If you need to take dead cap hits this coming season is the time

From a financial stand point the bills need to be where they are favored to win it all in 2026

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Images below show the release of the pass (left) and a moment later (right). There was no way Diggs was getting that first down. Diggs is a terrible YAC guy and had two defenders squared up between him and and the line to gain. 

Screenshot2024-01-22111916.thumb.jpg.6308cb103a4323a35474a60ae29e974c.jpgScreenshot2024-01-22112353.thumb.jpg.38c91efd26bf7eb6464d934ac0645e8c.jpg

It’s comical how wide open Shakir was lol people are talking like it was a risky ‘hero ball’ throw.  That’s how close we were to probably going to the afc championship.

throw was right on line but he couldn’t get the mustard on it with Dawkins getting backed into him at the last possible moment 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If it doesn't make sense then I don't know what to tell ya, also why do you assume they bleed the clock for a FG? You take what the D gives you and multiple times there were WRs crossing wide open that would easily gotten 1st down to keep the drive going.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Not sure we are talking about the same play. There was 2 times in particular I recall that a WR was open crossing that would have been a 1st down and Josh didn't take it

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’s comical how wide open Shakir was lol people are talking like it was a risky ‘hero ball’ throw.  That’s how close we were to probably going to the afc championship.

Yes, he was wide open and Allen's anticipation to see the window about to develop was awesome.

Screenshot2024-01-22121955.thumb.jpg.20647c4f8c95c6e6af1cdc55bea5496d.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

If it doesn't make sense then I don't know what to tell ya, also why do you assume they bleed the clock for a FG? You take what the D gives you and multiple times there were WRs crossing wide open that would easily gotten 1st down to keep the drive going.

It doesn’t make sense because shakir is wide freakin open for a td lol. Y’all are talking like it was a 50/50 jump ball type play 😂. That throw to diggs even if it was unaffected by Dawkins getting backed into josh at the last second probably gets stopped short meaning you need another big 4th down conversion then multiple other conversions to possibly do what one throw to shakir would’ve done.  ‘Keeping the drive going’ means nothing if you can’t get in the end zone and the way the flow of the game was going, it’s more likely we don’t pick up those tough short yardage plays.  

not to mention we were only in that predicament because diggs dropped a ball that went right through his hands earlier so who’s to say he catches it anyway lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.